Bionicle Concludes Again

I understand they had to end it and I hold the Bionicle team in the highest regards, but couldn't LEGO have given us one last set with the main antagonist?  I would think there is a market for a Bionicle titan villain even for those who had no interest in the rest (or maybe I just have an unusual liking for the big villains).  This is all I feel LEGO needed to do and the theme would have felt complete.

And if LEGO had decided to end it quite some time back, why couldn't they add the MOUP to say UTD set?  Alas we can only guess and this conversation isn't really productive, it is time to move on and band together to finish what LEGO started.

Edited by Rakrondewl
  • Upvote 1

Alas we can only guess and this conversation isn't really productive, it is time to move on and band together to finish what LEGO started.

This is what I have been saying this whole time on this topic all day. Good to see that someone else has noticed what we must do.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I've posted parts of this elsewhere on other sites, and while I certainly believe that the set designers put their heart and soul into Bionicle, I would say that the reboot on the whole was just weak. I saw someone compare it to some of the recent Hollywood reboots of movies where you have familiar themes and names that came back from G1 like Tahu, Mata Nui, and Makuta, but they're just a shell of what the original was. The names may have been familiar, but the personalities of the Toa were changed ("I didn't slip!"), Mata Nui goes from a mysterious god-like being to a mask maker, and the narration of the comics results in Gali having a male voice. This alienates older fans of G1, and then you combine that with Lego's poor storytelling, which fails to draw in newer fans to G2, and you get a theme that's dead in the water. 

For example, does anyone remember those

that came on CDs packaged in the sets themselves? As a 12 year old, I was beyond amazed at these videos. The island of Mata Nui was a place I wanted to visit so bad, and that was created with early 2000s technology! Compared to what we got with generation 2, and G2 doesn't hold a candle anywhere near to G1. Lego had such a rich story to work with, but they simplified it down to nothing and then decided to make ... a Netflix exclusive TV show? I know Netflix is popular, but there's no guarantee that every 8-12 year old, or whatever the specific target age Lego was going after even has a Netflix account to use. And I haven't even touched on how great and influential the comics were. A 12 year old is going to share a comic with their friends and get others interested in. This is actually how I first became aware of Bionicle. A friend of mine got his Lego magazine about a month before my came and he brought the very first Bionicle comic to school. Even a good Youtube video would have been way easier to share than a Netflix series.

In addition, let's face it, Lego didn't bring back Bionicle to make fans happy again, it's 100% a business decision. They specifically state this on their Twitter account in regards to the cancellation .The theme sold well in the past and they were counting on it to sell well again. I think that someone high up in the Lego company thought that they could ride the wave of nostalgia and put minimal effort into the advertisement and story side of Bionicle and wait for fans to come flocking back. That obviously didn't happen.

• Upvote 10

I think that someone high up in the Lego company thought that they could ride the wave of nostalgia and put minimal effort into the advertisement and story side of Bionicle and wait for fans to come flocking back. That obviously didn't happen.

I hate to say it, but I think that is definitely part of the problem. Bionicle got a great reveal conference at Comic-Con, but aside from that it barely had any promotional presence. There were no big third-party sponsorship's to help get word around that Bionicle was back. Bionicle in 2001 had a lot of sponsors promoting the line, from Nesquik to McDonalds to CCGs to Music albums by Universal. You'd think that in a world revolving around digital advertisements it'd be easier to get the word around but the efforts were so minimal. And you are right - having a story-filled comic included in each LEGO Magazine probably helped build a lot of interest and kept it going issue to issue.

-NotS

• Upvote 7

tahubanner.jpg

Didn't someone famous once say it was tradition for BZPower to criticise absolutely everything? :P

Nah man that's just the human race as a whole. 

To be honest I'm disappointed that the line is ending already, even though I have to admit there were a lot of things I didn't particularly like about G2 I was happy that Bionicle in some form was around. It kind of feels like this is it for Bionicle, at least in the long term they won't try to bring it back a third time, probably never. Thankfully we still have fanfiction and rpgs.

• Upvote 1

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

If anyone wants to actually try and reach out to Lego and get them to reconsider the cancellation then i really suggest you help me out here. Share it on other lego boards too we must be heard

https://www.change.org/p/lego-lego-cancel-their-rushed-decision-to-end-the-bionicle-theme-at-the-end-of-this-year

Edited by necross hordika
  • Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

If anyone wants to actually try and reach out to Lego and get them to reconsider the cancellation then i really suggest you help me out here. Share it on other lego boards too we must be heard

https://www.change.org/p/lego-lego-cancel-their-rushed-decision-to-end-the-bionicle-theme-at-the-end-of-this-year

I seriously doubt any amount of fans will change Lego's mind. Unless people started some crazy fund for the line, they aren't magically going to get more money to continue it.

• Upvote 2

I just keep posting here, hoping it'll fill this empty feeling I have. I just found the original topic for Bionicle being confirmed for 2015. Remember how excited we all were? How much we speculated whether that Mask was the elusive Mask of Creation, whether the new theme would be a reboot or a continuation, whether or not the line would last another 10 years...

That was less than two years ago.  

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

I remember how exited I was, all of the excitement. I couldn't keep smiling that day. And today, it was hard to even had one little smile. It may sound silly but, Bionicle means a lot to me, it helped me in my life as a motivation and inspiration. I remember cry when it ended in 2010, and now those memories raised in my head. But is not sad, because as someone said long ago: "our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." Is up to us to keep this alive now. Lets make the best of it. 

• Upvote 2

...I think I needed that Faber pic.  I've been rather depressed for the past week or more, and this announcement is just making it worse.  Turaga Beach, though, managed to bring a smile to my face, and that's a nice note to head out on.

I honestly feel like I enjoyed G2 more than G1.  Fantastic sets for the most part, and the story, while it needed some work, seemed decent enough- at least as far as I've watched.  Still have yet to finish Journey of One, but I'm definitely going to make a point of that now.

I do wish we'd gotten a bit more promotional stuff- a couple comics or an Okoto exploration game would've been nice to make the world stand out more- but I'm still happy with what I got to see.  If only it'd lasted a bit longer.

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Wow. It's like my childhood is dying all over again... I started off gen 2 by buying all the new sets in one day, on New Year's Eve 2014. I was really hoping that Bionicle would last another 10 years, but I guess that wasn't meant to be, was it? Bionicle will always remain my favorite Lego line, even though I prefer building System rather than Technic and CCBS.

I still don't have all the gen 2 sets, so I think I'll go pick up some of those sometime soon. More than anything, I really wanted gen 2 to end with a huge Titan sized set, like Makuta's final form, or something among those lines. I think that years down the road, Lego should do a "legacy" series, where they remake the most popular sets from their various lines, including Bionicle.

Saying goodbye always hurts. It hurts so bad that I can feel it.

I still remember the days when I was only 6 years old, during the Summer of 2001, and Bionicle was the newest thing from Lego. I don't remember what my first set was (pretty sure it was Tahu or Onua though), but I remember being obsessed with it! I would make my parents buy me new sets every other week, so they caught on to my obsession pretty fast. As I got old enough to do more than myself of the earliest years of Bionicle could, I was quick to do boring chores and get good grades in school, so long as it meant getting the newest sets. When I started keeping my own money, I would often set aside some for a new Bionicle set that I didn't have yet. Imagine my disappointment when I heard Bionicle was ending back in 2010. I told my parents, and they said they would get me the last sets if I did decent enough in school (my grades were slipping big time). Over the weekend, we went to the store to get Bionicle sets for what was as far as I knew, the last time ever. Even my brother, who wasn't nearly as into Bionicle as I was bought a few sets for old time's sake. I can still feel that sensation I got when I was picking the sets off the shelf. It was cold outside, and my heart was trembling. We went home, and I built, and built, and built.

Once the last one was built, I was just thinking "This is it... It's.... Over.".

I was overjoyed when I found out Bionicle was coming back. Of course the first thing I did was rush to the stores when I heard new sets were hitting the shelves. I didn't find anything until December 31st though. The first set I built was Tahu, because he was always my favorite (although Kopaka came pretty close). Feelings of nostalgia and happiness were rushing through me. The Bionicle shaped hole in my heart was filled. Although that hole came back today, I've decided that I'm not going to let it effect me nearly as much because I'm older and have bigger things to worry about. AH WHO AM I KIDDING! I'm still getting goosebumps and tearing up a little.

Goodbye once again Bionicle. Should it come back again, I will build. I will build new Bionicle sets as many times as Bionicle comes back and ends. I don't think it will come back again, but I'm not going to deny it either.

Unity. Duty. Destiny.

• Upvote 2

I feel like my original post here might have come off a bit negative, even if I did not mean it that way.

I am glad G2 happened and am happy with the sets we got. I also was glad to get more story, even if I prefer the G1 stuff. And I am a bit disappointed that it did not get the full 3 years. Having the MoUP physically exist and no way to actually get it is a bit annoying.,

I just want to thank the people behind G2 for a fun couple of years.

I do hope that G3 comes eventually. Toy releases seem a bit cyclical and even big toy franchises like Transformers had relatively unimpactful second generations before regaining the spotlight. But I can wait for now, and will enjoy the things that fans and Lego release in its stead. 

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

The only thing that I want from gen2 where the masks, to uses on my gen one sets, the mask of ultimate power was the last item on my list. I know that it exists in a set form because of the contest video. So I pull the images of it and am thinking about 3d printing it.

Can't say I'm too torn up about this announcement, although I wish I could. Given G2's track record, I just feel indifferent. We've all waited patiently since January 2015 for this line to actually "launch," but it never even managed to get off the ground. I agree with those who stated the line was dead on arrival-- the sets were there, but everything else just felt lifeless. I definitely won't miss the animated content, much of which felt painfully dumbed-down and cringe-worthy. BIONICLE has incredible storyline potential, and it deserves to be more than just another forgettable toy commercial. Still, props to LEGO for all their hard work on G2, and for being brave enough to try and sell consumers this incredibly weird and unique franchise a second time.

I have nothing bad to say about the sets, either. If nothing else, I will remember G2 for the amazing Masters sets. :)

Until next time...

RIP BIONICLE

G2 ended because Lego didn't give BIONICLE a real chance from the offset. They again reused a ton of old pieces with only a few new ones, they didn't promote it very well, and they didn't try to expand the media and get it relevant to children again. They went for some cheap online cartoons instead of the CGI stuff we got in 2016 from the beginning. They had more faith this year with some of the new pieces and JtO, but it was too late and it wasn't enough.The only gave JtO for episodes to expand the story and the sets didn't look any better despite some of the new pieces.

"From the offset"?  "The offset" was LEGO dedicating their entire presence at NYCC to promote the BIONICLE reboot.  Everything you call lazy or careless was an attempt at bringing BIONICLE into the modern market.  The "cheap online cartoons" were designed with clarity and brevity for the generation with smartphones and other small screens, never mind that "cheap online cartoons" are some of the things the old BIONICLE fans look back on most fondly.  The part reuse is because CCBS is LEGO's constraction system now, and because they aren't about to go back to the massive bloat that caused them financial hardship in the first place, never mind that BIONICLE started as a TECHNIC sub-theme and the sets took several parts from previous themes like the Slizers.

You may think that LEGO should've seen BIONICLE's initial success and taken that as a sign that they need to sink a bunch of resources into a media franchise with lots of new parts that set it apart from everything else.  The reason they don't do that, though, is because last time they tried it the theme was named "Galidor" and it went badly for everyone involved.

Advertising to man children statistically doesn't even count. What you, and appearntly 70% of this community doesn't understand is that Lego, and by extension Bionicle, are children's toys. And before someone writes a book telling me "No, it's just not true! There is nothing wrong with a grown adult playing (no not building; call it what it is) with Legos!", remember; they are marketed towards kids whether you want it to be or not
  • Upvote 2

Do not let your childhood die again! We are the fans, we are Bionicle! We keep bionicle going even when it's not on the shelves, we've been given a golden opportunity and while the window of time for that opportunity was very small, a few of us managed to at least get some of the new sets which I urge you to continue to play with and use their pieces. The future of Okoto belongs to us now, the Protectors. Let the legend begin.

• Upvote 1

So, Bionicle is canceled again. I guess I'm just not really emotional about these kind of things anymore, cause I came to realize a while ago that nothing lasts forever, and cool stuff in particular tends to get the short end of the stick (Firefly, The Spectacular Spiderman, etc). And between me not being invested in G2's storyline and no longer putting G1 on such a massive pedestal like I did when I was a kid, I'm fine with the two years of awesome sets we got. Plus, It means that for the first time in my life I can feasibly collect an entire theme - I'm only missing like, less than a dozen sets. So again, I wouldn't really call myself upset, although I would have probably preferred it to get one more truncated wave with the Masters and Makuta. It's also nice of TLG to once again let the story people rush to a conclusion instead of just canceling the theme abruptly on a cliffhanger. That's what, twice in a row Bionicle actually gets wrapped up? Poor Exo-Force fans could only have wished for that kind of generosity.

Anyway, rest in peace Bionicle. And I pray for BZP's sake that the fan base can stick together this time instead of fracturing in a fit of rage. If there is any conceivable way BIonicle ever gets a G3 years down the line, it certainly won't happen because people are spending their time making fruitless petitions and lashing out at each other in anger, instead of focusing on the positive and keeping the Legend alive through fan-created media. It's Unity, Duty, Destiny, you know, not Animosity, Avarice, Armageddon. :P

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~
  • Upvote 2

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

This announcement actually triggered me in a much more positively productive way than the first announcement. Last time, due to being emotionally unstable well before the Announcement, I pretty much declared war on LEGO with the vow that Bionicle would come back, a war I ended up losing because of the hard reboot. This time, however, I've gotten my creative juices going and started writing a little series of how I would like Bionicle to come back if it was a soft reboot (which IMO would've been the best move out of a direct continuation, a soft reboot and a hard reboot). It focuses on Velika as the new main villain, and Takanuva (but not Gali, Kopaka etc.) as the main heroes, along with a new team of 6 Toa. I might post it on BZP one day if I feel content (and well-defended knowing certain BZPers) enough.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

The only thing that I want from gen2 where the masks, to uses on my gen one sets, the mask of ultimate power was the last item on my list. I know that it exists in a set form because of the contest video. So I pull the images of it and am thinking about 3d printing it.

I just feel we needed one last set with Makuta and MOUP and the theme would have rapped up nicely.  The MOUP in the contest looks to be 3d printed and not finalized; please keep us informed on the progress of your mask.

Ouch.

This hurts.

This hurts a lot. I never really got into G2, but I did try to give it a chance and I was eager to like it. I don't think its first year held a candle to G1's, and as a whole it just never compared...however, I knew it had just started and held out hope that the story would improve and eventually become the brilliant epic that G1 ended up being, warts and all. Besides, it was still BIONICLE, and I had waited a long five years for its return. So I bought the sets (which were consistently amazing and better than most of G1's, though they can't compare in nostalgic value), bought the books, and bought the graphic novels. I'm still watching JtO. And honestly, it really felt like 2016 was a step in the right direction. The second graphic novel provided some much needed backstory and helped make Okoto and its islanders feel a little more real, and I thought the conflict between Ekimu and Makuta was a great retelling of the Mata Nui-Teridax one from the original, keeping the essentials while still offering a fresh take on the classic tale. The character writing/world building still lacked, especially compared to G1's greatness, but the second year, boosted by a BIONICLE TV show (finally!) and fun graphic novels, really showed that this new line was capable of building a better story than that portrayed in the fun-and-cute-but-still-mediocre animations that formed the bulk of 2015's story. G2 could have become something. It could have eventually stepped out of the massive shadow of its 10-year-giant of a predecessor, no mere feat. But now it won't, and that's just heartbreaking.

It's easy to rage and criticize how G2 was (mis)handled, and I do think it could have been better. But that doesn't take away from the passionate work of the new BIONICLE team, who dedicated themselves to it for the past two years and now have to deal with the unceremonious cancellation of their project. I do agree with some who say that the effort/creativity/imagination that went into the construction of G2's story often wasn't communicated in the final product we got. For example, the bios of the Toa Okoto paint vibrant images of these characters, again honoring the original Toa Mata while deepening their characters in a way that G1 wouldn't do until later in its run. And yet that depth never really came across in the animations, books, or JtO. Its baffling. Same goes for the world of Okoto itself. Abundant work and imagination, and yet so much of what was written in guides and on websites just didn't show up in the primary story vehicles. I get the impression of disorganization when regarding G2 as a whole. G1 suffered from some of that in its later years, but that was after it had already established itself as a quality line, a formidable seller, and a popular product. A line in its infancy, as G2 was, couldn't afford to make such mistakes. But alas.

I'm still trying to come to terms with this. I'm not as devastated as the first time around, partially due to lesser investment in G2 and age, but it's still pretty sad to see the latest incarnation of a line that defined my entire childhood (and beyond) come to such a quick end, after all of the excitement two years ago. I suppose I'll go back to what I did during the five-year absence of BIONICLE: reliving the legend by rereading it, rewatching it, replaying it, and discussing it, this time with the addition of an extra two years worth of content that I'm grateful to have, regardless of my criticisms. If nothing else, G2 allowed me to re-experience the joy of buying a new BIONICLE set or new BIONICLE book as a college student, and for that I am thankful.

So long, G2. Until G3. 

• Upvote 3

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I haven't see the end of Journey to One...I'm sure it definitively says that G2 is over, maybe there's a chance G3 could happen a few years down the road?

What I'm hoping to see now is a continuation of Hero Factory (don't hate me!). Personally, there were things about Hero Factory that I thought LEGO handled better than they did with Bionicle G2. Hero Factory at the very least wasn't afraid to take chances and try crazy things every year. G2 just felt...safe, and really lacked any really innovative approaches to the story.

I'd like them to finally finish off the Von Nebula arc too.

If BIONICLE does come back, I think it would be better if it was exclusively a video game series. That would be way fun, and LEGO seems to have a lot of success with those. Maybe a Spherus Magna adventure where you build your own Toa! Yeah, that'd be great.

It is a shame to see Bionicle end again. Although it did not have the same spark as the Gen 1 arc did, it was nice to get some Bionicle sets just like old times. It was nice of Lego to give it another shot. I doubt we will see it again.

It will be interesting to see how BZPower will evolve in the coming years.

Edited by Reya

So, how long do you think it'll be before someone decides to make a Lego Ideas upload for Bionicle like last time?

"Revive X Theme" projects (and projects for more than one set in general) are no longer allowed on Lego Ideas. Someone will definitely try, but it probably won't make it past moderation.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

So, how long do you think it'll be before someone decides to make a Lego Ideas upload for Bionicle like last time?

"Revive X Theme" projects (and projects for more than one set in general) are no longer allowed on Lego Ideas. Someone will definitely try, but it probably won't make it past moderation.

Now, mind you, if somebody wanted to create a specific Bionicle model and pitch it to LEGO Ideas, it would be allowed under the LEGO Ideas terms and guidelines, same as with any other Ideas project based on a past LEGO theme. Whether it would pass review is another matter and would probably depend on the project, but it would at least make more of a statement to LEGO than a typical internet petition that doesn't offer any insights into what specifically people would be willing to purchase or how much they'd be willing to pay.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I am neither saddened nor rejoicing by this news. As a whole, I had to much nostalgia for Gen2 to ever be as good in my eyes to Gen1. there was some really good stuff in Gen 2, like the Masters and Protects sets, they were really great, but I do feel the cons outweighed the pros. The flipping-eyestalk-to-get-off-the-masks function was easily my least favorite part of Gen 2. Some of the later sets were definitely weak IMO.

The only regret I have is that we didn't get a Makuta. 

Someone pointed out that the atmosphere of Gen1 was great. I agree. Even if I take off my nostalgia glasses (It it's even possible) the atmosphere of Gen2 will never compare to that of Gen1.

Also going to agree with all those who mentioned the inferior quality of the online animations and Netflix show. Not saying the Mask of Light, Legends of Metru Nui and such where shining examples of great movies, but they just felt so much more.... Bionicle.

Toa Han

My Flickr. Old Bionicles on Brickshelf

small_logo.png

Just like the first cancellation, this came at the worst possible time. Sure, there's a never good time for one of your favorite franchises to come to an end, but 2016 has just been such a hard year, both personally, and for the world in general. As someone said earlier, goodbyes are always hard...but some are harder than others. I had to say goodbye to a beautiful car I owned for almost 4 years back in March because of bad weather. Though I have a new car and have rebuilt, it still hurts, and the events of that night still haunt me. I also learned this year that Bleach will be ending, and that is a goodbye that will be tough because I really fell in love with that franchise. Both the manga and the anime helped fill the void Bionicle left the first time, and now both are on their way out. Currently, I'm having issues with my girlfriend of almost 11 months, and it doesn't look like the relationship will survive, so that's not helping anything. So add this into the mix, and it's just a mess. Grateful for the second run were given though, even if it was far too short. Some of us are indifferent to this goodbye, but to those us of who are saddened by it, always remember the wise words of Shinedown..."sometimes goodbye is a second chance". 

Well, G2 was fun while it lasted. I'm still kinda ticked that LEGO kinda gave Bionicle the short end of the stick. Still, Bionicle may be over, but the community is still here. Keep on doing what we do, guys.

Unity, Duty, Destiny

• Upvote 3

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

Wait... So this means that over here in Australia we won't be getting the final sets? Well I suppose I'll have to try get them elsewhere somehow.

Nah, they aren't coming here. Our general population and sales wouldn't justify the need to sell them here when the line is about to be discontinued. I knew this in advance, because our most recent official Australian catalogue didn't list or show a single Bionicle set; Not even those which were released in January-March. 

If a wave of a theme doesn't appear in a Lego catalogue, it usually means it's either coming here at a much later date or never at-all. 

You can purchase the sets at the official Lego Shop, but be mindful of shipping and other details.