Help with JTO Makuta

I'm determined to build as much of the JTO Makuta model as possible, but I'm struggling with the upper torso, as well as the right forearm. I've figured out that it is a combination of Onua, Tahu, Ikir, both Umaraks, as well as Skull Grinder v. Mask Maker and LoSS. Any help would be appreciated.

• Upvote 3

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

I'm determined to build as much of the JTO Makuta model as possible, but I'm struggling with the upper torso, as well as the right forearm. I've figured out that it is a combination of Onua, Tahu, Ikir, both Umaraks, as well as Skull Grinder v. Mask Maker and LoSS. Any help would be appreciated.

Actually, that's an interesting observation. If it really only uses pieces from those sets, I wonder if LEGO could release instructions to build the JtO Makuta yourself? That'd be awesome. I'd definitely buy those sets again just to create the official Makuta model.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Actually, that's an interesting observation. If it really only uses pieces from those sets, I wonder if LEGO could release instructions to build the JtO Makuta yourself? That'd be awesome. I'd definitely buy those sets again just to create the official Makuta model.

-NotS

I noticed the parts that are specific to certain sets. Onua's drill, Ikir's talons, LoSS's trans-orange legs, etc...

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

I noticed the parts that are specific to certain sets. Onua's drill, Ikir's talons, LoSS's trans-orange legs, etc...

Yeah, I took a look at the Makuta contest video again and it looked like it could be built out of the existing 2015-2016 line no problem. I hope they provide instructions. The only problem is the Mask of Ultimate Power. I really wish we could get it. I don't even care about the Mask of Time. I just want the MoUP... It exists. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I noticed the parts that are specific to certain sets. Onua's drill, Ikir's talons, LoSS's trans-orange legs, etc...

Yeah, I took a look at the Makuta contest video again and it looked like it could be built out of the existing 2015-2016 line no problem. I hope they provide instructions. The only problem is the Mask of Ultimate Power. I really wish we could get it. I don't even care about the Mask of Time. I just want the MoUP... It exists.

-NotS

I have my fingers crossed for a polybag or magazine pack in. I mean, we got Agil, and the mold clearly exists. They had four MoUP.

are you sure it is a combo or are you assuming by what you have been trying to build? I will probably get duplicates of them all to try and build this :P

I'm almost positive it's a combo, as every piece I can see beside the MoUP is is one of the sets I listed above. What really drove it home was that MM Vs. SG had exactly enough gears to build the staff. So while it hasn't been confirmed, I'm certain it's a combo.

If only I could figure out the upper torso......

Edited by MetroidwaveX50

On Eurobricks, Dorek did confirm that the JtO Makuta model was a combiner: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112712&st=1125&do=findComment&comment=2623358

I don't currently own all the sets I'd need to help try to recreate the model, but I'm interested to see if the community can figure out the build.  Good luck!

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Yeah, Brickthing, Vezok's Friend, and Niek the intern confirmed to us that it's made out of these seven sets:

*LOSS

*Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder

*Ikir

*Tahu 2016

*Onua 2016

*Umarak the Hunter

*Umarak the Destroyer

I'm hoping to be able to get some hi-res shots of the model from LEGO, but even if I do (vacation schedules permitting) they might not be enough, so hopefully over the next few weeks the community can figure out how to reverse engineer it. I most definitely will be trying myself, but I'm not a particular skilled builder; the Shadow Spawn instructions were about the limit of my abilities =P

Yeah, Brickthing, Vezok's Friend, and Niek the intern confirmed to us that it's made out of these seven sets:

*LOSS

*Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder

*Ikir

*Tahu 2016

*Onua 2016

*Umarak the Hunter

*Umarak the Destroyer

I'm hoping to be able to get some hi-res shots of the model from LEGO, but even if I do (vacation schedules permitting) they might not be enough, so hopefully over the next few weeks the community can figure out how to reverse engineer it. I most definitely will be trying myself, but I'm not a particular skilled builder; the Shadow Spawn instructions were about the limit of my abilities =P

Having hit a wall, if you are able to get the shots, I will be very grateful.

I'm still puzzled by a yellow gear behind the neck. Does the model have a gear function?

Edited by MetroidwaveX50

I've been racking my brain on how to get the JtO to work as well, are you able to post up images of everything you've got, like a top down of the torso without the trans-red piece? I can try to bounce off of them and compare them to what I've got. The shoulders and torso are what is stumping me the most, I've tried SO many different styles for those darn pauldrons. xD 

I've been racking my brain on how to get the JtO to work as well, are you able to post up images of everything you've got, like a top down of the torso without the trans-red piece? I can try to bounce off of them and compare them to what I've got. The shoulders and torso are what is stumping me the most, I've tried SO many different styles for those darn pauldrons. xD 

I'll get the pictures up shortly, but the pauldrons seem to be built around the small body type. The shape lines up, I just can't figure out how the they attach to the rear arm/heads and the torso itself.

Edited by MetroidwaveX50

I'll get the pictures up shortly, but the pauldrons seem to be built around the small body type. The shape lines up, I just can't figure out how the they attach to the rear arm/heads and the torso itself.

Aye, I agree and I've built it up around that in the best way I can, but like you said, how they connected the pauldrons to that mystery of a torso is apparently beyond us. Once Dorek gets the high-def shots and a full turn-around hopefully, we'll probably better understand it. Though, we've come pretty far with what we've got. ^_^

Aye, I agree and I've built it up around that in the best way I can, but like you said, how they connected the pauldrons to that mystery of a torso is apparently beyond us. Once Dorek gets the high-def shots and a full turn-around hopefully, we'll probably better understand it. Though, we've come pretty far with what we've got. ^_^

I know, right? I've never been very good at reverse engineering, but to come this far with just shots from the front is amazing. It helped that I figured out that this was a combiner (though it appears several people managed to do this before me), as I now have a set pool of pieces to draw from. My current hope is that they release a big box containing the component sets and the MoUP, a la Ultimate Dume.

Okay, I've got the photos. They're kinda blurry though. I've added coattails since the last time I took photos.

makuta_wip_2_back_by_metroidwave-dacda3zmakuta_wip_front_exposed_by_metroidwave-

unknown.png

Aha! Figured something out! The back piece there is one of the Beast Jaw pieces, from Umarak the Destroyer, connected to a pair of usual hand bits! That is atleast a little more then he we had... and ahead of that is some of the axle-pin direction changers, but connected to what...? Makuta, you enigma...

• Upvote 1

unknown.png

Aha! Figured something out! The back piece there is one of the Beast Jaw pieces, from Umarak the Destroyer, connected to a pair of usual hand bits! That is atleast a little more then he we had... and ahead of that is some of the axle-pin direction changers, but connected to what...? Makuta, you enigma...

I actually figured out that those go to the upper shells on his chest using angled axle/pin connectors. Never noticed what the jaw was connected to though. Good eye.

Thanks. :P That is what I've got on the pauldron so far, to put the Shadow Trap side of it on there, but again, this doesn't particularly solve the issue of connecting it to the torso we're working on, or connecting the lower arm to the pauldron itself... 160801-213909.jpg

Thanks. :P That is what I've got on the pauldron so far, to put the Shadow Trap side of it on there, but again, this doesn't particularly solve the issue of connecting it to the torso we're working on, or connecting the lower arm to the pauldron itself... 160801-213909.jpg

I just tried that, and the shadow trap seems too far back compared to the photos. The axles seems to be positioned above the neck ball joint, which I can't manage to replicate in a practical way. As for the connections, piece that connects to the arm/heads has to have an axle hole, but it's not visible at any angle in the video. I think we should wait and see if Dorek can get those pictures.

I solved the gear issue, I believe! The gear box is from the turn-table torso, which if you put a pair of hand pieces on the axles under the jaw pieces and chest pauldrons? It snaps in perfectly and puts a knob in place where it is, I believe! o.o

I don't understand what you mean by that, but that sounds great! I had ruled out the 2016 torsos, as I couldn't find a way to work them in a larger frame. Can you post a picture? Edited by MetroidwaveX50

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkytron/28102519723/in/dateposted/

This is what i've figured out so far. Not sure if it's 100% correct but at least it's somewhat close to it

Can you post some photos from other angles? I can't tell how some things are attached.

8c0fa81e-4a5a-4c2f-b50d-66179d816543.png

See, THIS was what I meant, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how the front armor attaches and how THIS part connects to the torso/hips you made earlier, Metroid. xD

Beginning to think this is a plot meant to turn us bitter towards the franchise. Well played, Lego, well played.

I'll keep working on it. Though, the pictures show ​Black axles in the jaw piece, so that throws a wrench in things

EDIT: Someone on ttv is almost done with their makuta build. I think we've been beaten to the punch.

Edited by MetroidwaveX50

See, THIS was what I meant, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how the front armor attaches and how THIS part connects to the torso/hips you made earlier, Metroid. xD

Beginning to think this is a plot meant to turn us bitter towards the franchise. Well played, Lego, well played.

I'll keep working on it. Though, the pictures show ​Black axles in the jaw piece, so that throws a wrench in things

EDIT: Someone on ttv is almost done with their makuta build. I think we've been beaten to the punch.

Oh, where? o.o I'm really bad at nagivating TTV's site, apparently, cause I can't find it. xD

Oh, where? o.o I'm really bad at nagivating TTV's site, apparently, cause I can't find it. xD

I dunno. It showed up on google after searching 'JTO Makuta'.

Here's a page on TTV about the same topic.

http://board.ttvchannel.com/t/the-lets-build-jto-makuta-topic/27002/40

There's someone there who is getting really close to replicating the whole thing.

That's the topic I was referring to in my last few posts. I still see a few flaws in the attempt though, mainly the neck gear. 

There are several flaws with his design. Mainly that he already based it of mine (which was incorrect) and he already confirmed he didn't even try to make a accurate torso because he can't see the inside. This also means that even the parts you can make out of the model arent even there. Good attempt but far from correct. I tried to reply to him but TTV doesnt let me reply for some reason.

I had a signature once

it's gone now

13933008_594904514003406_178005405_n.jpg

13900713_594904407336750_1965953336_n.jp

13933381_594904444003413_1619135689_n.jp

13876370_594790427348148_487907486525325

13631387_594790487348142_380917143549845

Some various pics from someone over on a Facebook community I'm a part of! ^_^ These seem like our best bet, and this style is how I built/finished my own JtO Makuta! The spine technic build needs a BIT of support, and a simple 5-hole length technic bar fixes that issue. xD It seems I was wrong with the whole upside down Uniter torso. oh well!

13933008_594904514003406_178005405_n.jpg

13900713_594904407336750_1965953336_n.jp

13933381_594904444003413_1619135689_n.jp

13876370_594790427348148_487907486525325

13631387_594790487348142_380917143549845

Some various pics from someone over on a Facebook community I'm a part of! ^_^ These seem like our best bet, and this style is how I built/finished my own JtO Makuta! The spine technic build needs a BIT of support, and a simple 5-hole length technic bar fixes that issue. xD It seems I was wrong with the whole upside down Uniter torso. oh well!

But what of the neck gear?

I'm not sure why I fixate on that so much. In all seriousness, though, you did quite well. I'm impressed. When this topic started, I half expected it to die before it accomplished anything. I thank you very much, and congratulate you on unraveling the mystery surrounding the Master of Shadows. *Applause*

Oh, this wasn't all me. xD Again, that fan I found on Facebook took all the pictures and such, I just helped spread the word! :P I'm glad you made the thread though, helped those of us who don't stay connected with TTV and such to build and experiment with the Lord of Shadows ourselves. ^_^ 

Wow, that's a titan if I ever saw one.  I didn't realize how big Makuta was until I saw him next to UtD.  Is he bigger than Takanuva '08 and Toa Mata Nui?

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Dorek's posted the additional pictures. Turns out the only part I managed to get correct was the fauld.

Check them out on this topic

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23087-journey-to-one-makuta-instructions/

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great design! I'm thinking of picking up the 3D printed Mask of Ultimate Power too. Does anyone know if it is good quality?

While it sucks that we never got the Mask or Makuta as an official set, its awesome that we have all banded together to figure out the combiners build and even try to make a 3D replica of the Mask! It just shows how dedicated we are as a community, and that's just fantastic. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg