Best Sets of 2k16

Dallior

Hello, peoples. This is Dallior, and I just watched NickonAquaMagna's wrap-up of Geetwo on Youtube, and felt guilty about being one of the fans who "sat on the sidelines and watched the story, but rarely bought the sets". Well, I want to fix my conscience by buying Bonkles.

So, down below, tell me/the forums which Uniter pair is the best, which beast is best, and which Titan set is best. Thanks, and happy BZPing!

NOTE: All participants will receive a fake Copper Huna of Victory.

Edited by Dallior
  • Upvote 2

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

I personally think Lewa and Uxar make the best Unter fallowed closely by Tahu and Ikir.

My favorite beast is Lava Beast, his mask is the only beast mask that actually blends into it's respective element color.

Not quite sure what qualifies as a titan in g2, but Umurak the Hunter is a must have.

If he is sold in your area, I also recommend Ekimu the Mask Maker set.

The best uniter pair is Pohatu and Ketar, obviously. Uniter Pohatu has one of the best designs among the uniters, even if his color scheme is a tad messy. Ketar is a great little set on his own too, however when the two are combined, the function which in theory doesn't seem logical actually works well in practice - plus they look awesome in Unity form.

Storm Beast is the best of the regular villain sets I think. It has the most intuitive build of the three, with the best play-feature. Some might find the back unseemly, but I personally like exposed technicy mechanisms. The color scheme is also great (dem metru-blue shells. mmmm.) 

I only really consider Umarak the Destroyer a "titan" set from 2016, but honestly, if you're only getting one of Umarak's forms, get the Hunter instead. I own neither, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Hunter due to the experimental-but-fantastic color scheme, the sweet mask, the alternate-build shadow trap and the overall design. The Destroyer has a few odd design choices and a less exciting color scheme.

That's my two cents.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Best 2016 sets overall are the two Umarak's (granted, also the largest sets). Both are really impressive in-person.

I agree with Rakrondewl that Lewa/Uxar and Tahu/Ikir are the best Uniter pairs (in that order), though Akida is a fun build as well.

I've actually enjoyed all 3 beasts way more than I expected. Lava Beast might have the most coherent look, but Quake Beast was really interesting to build (crazy shoulder contraption) and Storm Beast has beautiful colors.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I only own Gali and Akida as a pair. I do have Ikir but not Tahu. With that said I don't have enough experience to tell what Toa is the best. Although I have had fun with Gali and Akida.

But I will join in praising Umarak the Hunter. A fabulous set! Get it. :)

I have Lava Beast but I don't know if he is "the best." I love how looks though and he is a favorite of mine.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Well...I mostly depends on what toa you liked the most in their nuva form in g1. I was drawn to tahu and kopaka because they are reminiscent of their old sets but I actuallyreallt liked kopaka and melum unity. Kopaka is very well designed and the uniter form is cool albeit Phoenix Tahu is also cool. its mostly your call though

1. I only own Tahu and Ikir, as they are the only 2016 winter sets that interested me. So I guess they would count as my favorite Uniter pair.

2. I haven't gotten any of the Beast sets, though I'm probably going to try to get Quake Beast and/or Storm Beast if I get the chance to get them.

3. I have to go with everyone else so far and say that the Umarak sets were the best titan sets. The Hunter is definitely a great one. I haven't built the Destroyer yet, despite the fact that I got it months ago. :P But I still think it looks cool regardless.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I personally think that Tahu/Ikir is probably the best set of Uniters and Creatures, with Lewa/Uxar coming in a close second. Ikir really fills up what Tahu's missing in his original set, the gold mask looks the best on him than anyone else, and overall I just think he looks the most impressive in United form compared to everyone else. That being said, I think Onua is the best Uniter on his own (with an abundance of Trans-Purple and probably the most balanced color-scheme out of everyone) and that Akida is the best Creature (with his/her unique build creating something that more closely what his/her animal is supposed to be than anyone else's.)

I only own Lava Beast, so I don't really think I can weigh in on that aspect, but just for looking at images, I think that it's a close tie with me between Lava and Storm.

Both Umaraks are the best sets overall this year, as everyone else has already said. I only have Hunter, but his great design and unique color scheme, as well as just overall appearance really stand out over all the other sets I own. I would definitely picking him up if you can.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Putting in another vote for tahu and ikir, the wings and extra bulk really help fill tahu out and they look great as one.

As for the beasts, it's a close one. I really like storm and lava beast, but I'm giving it to storm on that it's like a bionicle raptor.

I'd also like to go with the consensus and say umarak the hunter is a great choice. Also, if $20 sets qualify as titans, onua 2015 is one of my favorite bionicle sets to date.

My vote for the best set of 2016 goes to Umarak the Destroyer, who is not only my favorite 2016 set, but also my favorite Generation 2 set and ranks on 4th my list of greatest Bionicle sets of both generations (3rd is 2006 Axonn, 2nd the 2009 titan Toa Mata Nui and 1st the 2008 titan Übertakanuva)  :)

But in 2016 I also liked Tahu and Onua  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

I'd say Lewa and Uxar are the best Toa and Creature pair. Uxar has great colors, a great build, great articulation, a great function, and a nice Shadow Trap design. Lewa has nice proportions and weapons that suit his personality, a good color scheme, an awesome mask, and creative builds for his arms and legs. Together their design is very strong, maintaining the usefulness of Uxar's core function, strengthening Lewa's similarity to his previous form, and generally looking really coherent. I had great fun photographing these two for my New Elementary review!

Storm Beast is the best beast, in my opinion. It's got a creative and unprecedented function, a strikingly dynamic color scheme, a suitably monstrous physique that helps convey it is neither person nor animal, and great articulation — love the design of its claws! By comparison, Quake Beast's build strikes me as cluttered and inconsistent (its beefy, crystalline right arm and shoulder are interrupted by spindly joints, and the gearbox sticks out obtrusively), while Lava Beast is stylish and coherent but not quite so exciting in terms of functions.

I'd say Umarak the Hunter and Umarak the Destroyer are about equal as titans. Umarak the Hunter has a more interesting color scheme with great contrast, but Umarak the Destroyer has a more interesting build. They bear a striking similarity to one another that really conveys that they are different forms of the same character, but also substantial differences to make it clear that one is a cunning villain and the other a monstrous brute corrupted by power. Sort of like the contrast between Ganondorf and Ganon in The Legend of Zelda series.

• Upvote 1

Grabbed them all when they first came out, so my answers are as follows:

Uniter Pair: Honestly, I couldn't decide, as I ended up liking them all. Kopaka and Melum likely has the best value, though, considering the base figure has around the same number of pieces as Tahu or Onua, and yet still costs only as much as the combined total of one of the smaller Toa and their accompanying creature.

Beast: Another toss up, as there's only three to choose from. Lava arguably has the best color cohesion, Storm has the best function, and Quake has purple.

Titan: While Umarak the Destroyer is technically the only Titan released this year, I'm assuming that Umarak the Hunter is supposed to fall into this category as well, despite his price and size, in which case, I have to give my nod to the original. His color scheme was objectively better, he came with the original Mask of Control, his Hunter version actually had weapons and could also Unite (he looks particularly awesome when wearing the MoC and combined with either Uxar or Ikir, either of whom you could grab with the Hunter as well for a sum total of about $30, only $5 or so more than the price of his Destroyer form), and he was actually his own villain at that point (unlike the previous year's Kulta the Skull Grinder) instead of simply acting as some other guy's stooge.

Ekimu also has some pretty cool pieces, in the event that you were considering picking him up as well.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Kopaka and Melum for me. Great set, fun build.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Aside from Umarak the Hunter, who seems to be unanimously well-received, I have to go with Onua. I still don't like how he has all that golden armor, but the gold works better than it did on his Master form. The purple and black combination looks really good; I actually prefer the trans-purple shells to the solid purple from last year. The drill-hammer (drillmer?) is a fun weapon to play with, although I think the handle is too long. Still, Uniter Onua is a great set overall.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

Best individual Uniter

• Onua - Wonderfully cohesive, awesome weapon and mask, great colours.
  • Honourable mention - Lewa, for the same reasons as Onua really.

Best individual Creature

• Ikir - Adorable, and fun to play with.
  • Honourable mentions - Terak and Uxar. Both wonderful little figures.

Best United pair

• Lewa and Uxar - The two blend together so perfectly. Wings just come naturally to Lewa.
  • Honourable mentions - Kopaka and Melum for being a cool starter set, and Onua and Terak for their level of cohesiveness. 

Best Umarak

• Umarak the Hunter - A must buy, even if you don't buy any other '16 sets.
  • Honourable mention - Umarak the Destroyer. Not as dynamic as his former form, but still a fun build.

Best Beast

• Lava Beast - Striking colours, wonderful cohesive mask, and trans black shells.
  • Honourable mention - Storm Beast, for his unique function and dark blue pieces.

Best McGuffin on legs

• Ekimu the Mask Maker - Another must buy. He's glorious.

TL;DR - Here's your shopping list;

• Umarak the Hunter
  • Ekimu the Mask Maker
  • Onua
  • Terak
  • Lewa
  • Uxar
  • Ikir
  • Kopaka and Melum
  • Lava Beast
  • Storm Beast
  • Umarak the Destroyer
Edited by Logan McOwen

This years sets were sort of just okay to me. There were a few things I disliked, but it mainly boils down to sloppy color schemes on some figures and those weird shadow trap things. But I digress, Umarak the Hunter was actually an impressive set. While I'm not a fan of his bow since it constricts his range of motion, almost everything else about him makes up for it. Especially his antlers. I love those antlers so much. The fact that his Destroyer form replaced them with generic horns was pretty disappointing. They're unique to his character, especially considering he's the only Bionicle set to have antlers, and I believe he should have kept them.