Toa Mata Promo Animations - Putting On Mask

Pohaturon

Now, as starters, I know that 1) these were meant to promote the sets, therefore being lore-friendly was secondary and 2) Toa derive much of their power from their Kanohi, and don't just get the powers associated with the mask.

That said, I am a tad confused by the 2001 Toa Mata animations - I mean these - and the role of masks.

So, Gali and Onua start off with their masks, which makes sense. Gali is underwater, so she needs her Kaukau and Onua is digging, which I assume requires a lot of strength.

Then there is Lewa, who peeks out from behind a leaf with no Mask. I mean, don't Toa get all weak, groggy and fatigued with no Mask? Anyway, he then performs a jump which could only be cleared with the help of the Miru. I'm okay with this.

Tahu, the Toa of Fire, who would still be burned to a crisp if literally bathing in lava, goes surfing in said substance, so I guess the Hau is warranted, but again, why isn't he wearing it at the start? Also, we know he'd be fine surfing on lava without the shielding power of the mask, and it's never mentioned that he ever fell in.

But Kopaka and Pohatu are the weirdest of the lot. Kopaka is standing on a mountain, looking at the horizon - without his Akaku on. I mean, isn't that mask perfect for this vantage point? Anyway, he then puts it on, the mask of X-ray vision, and promptly stops an avalanche coming from behind. This is in no way related to the Akaku, in spite of what the video is implying.

And finally Pohatu. So Toa get weak and tired without their masks? How about he takes a walk through a searing desert, which must have taken ages at that walking speed, without his mask. Why not use the Kakama? I mean, it's the mask of speed. Speed!. Anyway, he then puts it on, and kicks a rock. Nothing to do with speed. Why?!

I mean, overall I like these animations because nostalgia, but they don't really make sense in terms of lore.

What do you make of these?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Those animations were done at an early point in the story where the masks were tools, not vital necessities.

Well, most other media does show the Toa wearing them pretty much constantly.

To answer the main question, it's probably just a slightly fancy way of introducing the character, like showing someone from behind then having them spin round. And yes, the masks' powers weren't really relevant to the feats the Toa pull off, other than the Pakari and perhaps the Miru.

• Upvote 1

Well, most other media does show the Toa wearing them pretty much constantly.

If I had a mask that could make you run super fast, or super strong, I'd wear it all the time. So no wonder the Toa Mata did too.

I can't think of a reason why they'd ever not wear them.

It's great for taunting Bohrok.

• Upvote 1

I think they were just meant to show off just how kewl the Toa where/are. I don't necessarily think the had in mind the mask powers when making them, just that used did what they saw as making sence. Even though stopping an avalanche doesn't make much sence, it does work. And thusly likewise with the others. More so over these were used to coinside with their canisters, and how they were on those. Tahu Lava Surfing, Gali Climbing a Rockface, Lewa Swinging through the Jungle, Kopaka Strong and Fierce, Pohatu Quick and Strong, and Onua Upon digging to the Surface (presumably ending up finding and meeting Pohatu like that, or just running into him).

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png