No love for Lewa and Gali for G2?

BryceDuyvewaardt

I was just at LEGO Land in Billund, Denmark (woo!) and I noticed that there was next to no BIONICLE sets left, however both phase 1 G2's Lewa and phase 2 G2's Gali were in massive leftover quantities, left in bargain bins while a mix of other G2 sets remained at full price on shelves. 

Looking back, was there just less love for the G2 Lewa and Gali sets, or do you think it was a coincidence at one of LEGO's most highly visited stores?

lewa_is_sadness_by_kaibagal-d7wmnr1.jpg

photo credit http://lopez-the-heavy.deviantart.com/art/Lewa-Is-Sadness-478068157

• Upvote 1

In my area it was oddly enough Tahu 2015 that was on a lot of shelves for a long time. Pohatu 2015 lingered a long time to.

None of the 2016 sets lingered anywhere other than Toys R Us. Once June hit all Bionicle sets at Wal-Mart and other retailers just vanished completely. Every now and then I find some random Protector still on sale at Walgreens, but that is becoming less common now to.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Maybe the stores just took in a lot of those sets and they are trying to sell them all to get rid of them to make room their shelves? 

That would be my best guess, because otherwise I wouldn't know why those sets are discounted. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Worst case scenario: 2016 Gali sold poorly because she's a female character. I'd like to believe otherwise, but as much as society has progressed, many pre-teen boys probably still have hangups about girls.

However, that wouldn't explain 2015 Lewa being left over and on clearance, and there are plenty of other explanations as well. 2016 Gali has one of the most generic builds of the 2016 Toa, despite her asymmetrical armor. 2015 Lewa had odd proportions and two weapons that could be considered less impressive than, say, Gali's even bigger axe or Tahu's giant swords. Both sets had color schemes that diverged somewhat from the others, with bold, contrasting secondary colors. It could even just be limited to that one location—a single anecdote, even at a prominent location like Legoland, might not accurately reflect sales trends for all of Denmark let alone the whole world.

The good news: if neither version of Pohatu was overstocked and on clearance, then perhaps you could take that as anecdotal evidence that brown sets no longer sell as poorly as they used to during G1.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The good news: if neither version of Pohatu was overstocked and on clearance, then perhaps you could take that as anecdotal evidence that brown sets no longer sell as poorly as they used to during G1.

I don't think that necessarily counts since none of the stone sets in the second generation actually have brown as a primary color.

I don't think that necessarily counts since none of the stone sets in the second generation actually have brown as a primary color.

They have Dark Orange, which is much more of an earth tone than, say, Bright Orange or Flame Yellowish Orange (and was one of the original '01 stone colors to boot). And considering that the "brown" of the original Pohatu was ALSO considered a shade of orange (Earth Orange, to be precise), I'd say Dark Orange qualifies.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The ones I see left over are Pohatus, Galis, and Lewas. Sad to see them not getting loved

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

They have Dark Orange, which is much more of an earth tone than, say, Bright Orange or Flame Yellowish Orange (and was one of the original '01 stone colors to boot). And considering that the "brown" of the original Pohatu was ALSO considered a shade of orange (Earth Orange, to be precise), I'd say Dark Orange qualifies.

Earth Orange might be considered a shade of orange to the people at Lego and to individuals such as yourself, but to consumers it's just brown. I think that ought to be taken into consideration since you're trying to say sets of a specific color are selling better than they used to. Dark Orange most certainly is a more earthy tone than some of the other colors that were used for stone sets in G1, but it's still not Earth Orange, or as consumers know it, brown.

Earth Orange might be considered a shade of orange to the people at Lego and to individuals such as yourself, but to consumers it's just brown. I think that ought to be taken into consideration since you're trying to say sets of a specific color are selling better than they used to. Dark Orange most certainly is a more earthy tone than some of the other colors that were used for stone sets in G1, but it's still not Earth Orange, or as consumers know it, brown.

It's still just as much a shade of brown as classic brown was. I've seen a LOT of Bionicle G2 reviews from people who don't know or care about the official color names that just call the primary color of Pohatu, Ketar, and the Protector of Stone "brown" or "light brown" (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.)

Anyway, as to the question in the first post, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Lewa and Gali were shipped out to stores in a two-character mixed lots, and that store just happened to order more of them than the other Toa due to their lower price. I know stores had to order some Hero Factory characters in two-character mixed lots like that.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1