The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

good enough, i'm down. probably one of the least serious rpgs i've ever seen *definitely the most laid back on this site, what with six pages of friggin rtspg talk to compare it to*, which is an interesting niche to fill.outside of the 'RAWR ITS NOT DONE Y U BE TROOOOLLIN' i'd suggest a map and maybe a bestiary. i dunno what a swamp monster is, for one thing. what's a gryphon.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

There is, in fact, a reference guide with details of different locations and characters. It simply hasn't been put into the RPG yet. It can be added to to include more of the creatures, however.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

Pegasi and Griffons - Yes, they can fly, and, if this is an implemented rule, take less time to travel.Unicorns - Magic Users. They can use almost any kind of magic (except forbidden magic, godmodding, death spells, etc.)Earth Ponies - They are stronger than normal. They are better at gathering food, and, if this is an implemented process, are better at crafting.Zebras - If this was a typical JRPG, they would be a Medic Class. There are gifted at healing, and are from a distant country.

Pegasi can also control the weather. And Unicorns are typically only skilled with telekinesis and one or two other kinds of magic, I think. Twilight is a special exception, but Rarity has only been shown to be able to levitate stuff and find gems.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

All of this is also explained in the aforementioned reference guide that has not yet been added to the bulk of the RP. ;)

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

@TPtI:Exactly. It wouldn't be very "G-Rated" if you could play as a Monstrous Dragon and eat innocent ponies!Except for Trixie. She can go.@Bundalings:That IS true.@: ~JC~

good enough, i'm down. probably one of the least serious rpgs i've ever seen *definitely the most laid back on this site, what with six pages of friggin rtspg talk to compare it to*, which is an interesting niche to fill.

It IS, after all, based off a completely unserious TV Show, so a Not-So-Serious RPG based off an Unserious TV Show is to be expected.

outside of the 'RAWR ITS NOT DONE Y U BE TROOOOLLIN' i'd suggest a map and maybe a bestiary.

Yes, it WOULD be nice to have a map... As was said, this isn't going to be posted immediately.And a Beistery might be an important thing to have, HOWEVER, it'd probably take like, six pages due to all the creatures.

i dunno what a swamp monster is, for one thing.

The Example Pieces? Those were just if it was from a typical RPG, not this in particular. Swamp Monsters MAY OR MAY NOT be in this RPG.

what's a gryphon.

Korkoa beat me to it >_< Edited by Zionfighter7G

It's been so long since I've been on a forum site, I forgot how to Banner.

This is a problem that Mark Ruffalo had at the start of Thor: Ragnarok, but mine is more difficult.

Although, I think an equal amount of Chris Hemsworth will fix it.

As for the bestiary specificly, a section has been added to the guide describing some of the main creatures in Equestria. The guide will make its appearence in the updated version of the RPG. :)

Just throwing this out there, but if you have something to add to the RPG, add it before you post it.Nothing worse than posting an imcomplete RPG and then saying "I have stuff that I can add that'll make all your questions basically go away. but i havn't added it in."This may be the planning topic, but that doesn't mean you can't post a nearly complete RPG either.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

With respect, we're waiting untill we put everything else in before we post it again. I think the gun was jumped a bit on this, we got excited. We're going to make sure we have everything ready, then post it again to try and answer all the questions at once.

I myself am not trying to ride them on this, just pointing out that when you post an actual RPG idea in the works, people usually react better to it if everything you can add to it is, well, added :Plike I said, i was just pointing it out in an effort to diffuse the whole situation considering how a bunch of people were getting a bit... worked up about it. Or seemed to. last thing we need here is a fight when we can all just harp on the perfectly normal Multi-Post Skyrim RPG currently in the Approval topic :P EDIT: Now on that same not it'd be a totally different situation if it was a "What're your thoughts on a possible MLP RPG?"

Edited by Lord Kini Hawkeye

Honestly, while the gun, as the people behind the RPG have admitted themselves, was jumped, I like this better than when people post saying "Wwould anyone like a [insert popular thing here] RPG?" This is just mildly frustrating because I had the expectation (I don't know why, I just did) of seeing one with everything there, and then it wasn't there, and I got confused. The other scenario makes me want to punch a draft of an RPG out of the person fishing for ideas.If either of you had a Premier Membership, I'd suggest that you put things like the Bestiary (love seeing that word, by the way) in there, but as that isn't an option, you're left just ending up with a very long RPG - if the Bestiary is as detailed as you're implying, that might be a bit cumbersome, but better than the alternative.---On Alex's suggestion regarding representing the true vastness of space, I'd do that, but I don't know how to really show the empty systems without forcing you to draw in a hundred or so empty systems. If this were a video game I'd be able to implement a sort of fog-of-war mechanic so you can't see parts of the map you haven't either scouted out or received data on, but that's not really an option here.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If either of you had a Premier Membership, I'd suggest that you put things like the Bestiary (love seeing that word, by the way) in there, but as that isn't an option, you're left just ending up with a very long RPG - if the Bestiary is as detailed as you're implying, that might be a bit cumbersome, but better than the alternative.

Actually, I have a Blog. Back when the Fourms came online, they allowed people to use Premier Member stuff, so I started a blog, and even though that time has passed, I still got the blog!So, The Bestiary will certainly be posted there.

It's been so long since I've been on a forum site, I forgot how to Banner.

This is a problem that Mark Ruffalo had at the start of Thor: Ragnarok, but mine is more difficult.

Although, I think an equal amount of Chris Hemsworth will fix it.

Ah, I'm afraid the blog will be non-functional at this point. You will be able to save drafts, but not publish them.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, I mean, Starscape had the deaths of forty billion some people via nuclear fire. Pretty sure that goes somewhere in the PG-13 rating.I'd be perfectly willing to play this game if I could be a dragon that eats ponies. : D

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Actually, I think that goes under the heading of "The people in charge were completely terrible," but yeah. If someone made an RPG where the whole point of it is that you play as a dragon in a fantasy setting and just generally wreck up the place, the main complaint would be the lack of plot.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Suggestion:Award good players with the ability to control a dragon character.Problem solved for those that want to, and it gives people something to strive to. Might not be convenient for some people but it's better than just allowing anybody to use one (considering a lot of people will probably abuse dragon powurz)

personally i'm annoyed with the lack of variety on this site. just because we did pg-13 once doesnt mean it all needs to be pg-13, just because risk on paper sold (twice.) doesn't mean we only need rtspg but based off the conversations in this topic, that's all we need. i get i'm a bit of a hypocrite, skylight isn't exactly a kiddy game, but i'd rather see a cutesy mlp rpg rather than teenage mlp after trying drugs for the first time. not that i'm endorsing that.my two cents. dont mind me, unless you have 98 cents and a cola costs a dollar.

Edited by ~JC~

^ Erm, the Skyrim RPG wasn't even posted in the planning topic, from what I remember... Hard to discuss something, if there's nothing to discuss. =P Plus, after the fact, it did get some discussion in here.

personally i'm annoyed with the lack of variety on this site. just because we did pg-13 once doesnt mean it all needs to be pg-13, just because risk on paper sold (twice.) doesn't mean we only need rtspg but based off the conversations in this topic, that's all we need. i get i'm a bit of a hypocrite, skylight isn't exactly a kiddy game, but i'd rather see a cutesy mlp rpg rather than teenage mlp after trying drugs for the first time. not that i'm endorsing that.my two cents. dont mind me, unless you have 98 cents and a cola costs a dollar.

Funny, considering that the risk-style mechanics were exactly what my largest -and other people's- complaint was about Starscape, which is why we had two hundred posts over the math. And it wasn't just the math, it was the other, more RP parts of the RPG, such as spying, civilian cordination, empire mangement, that sort of thing.IMO, a cutsy MLP RPG is fine, but just so long as I can presented with what I can do in it. There's gotta be some sort of conflict, as the episodic nature of FiM's conflicts kinda keep them from working out well in an RPG.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

It's an art; we're striving for the perfect TBRTS. Interstellar Line was the start, with the idea of it all. Starscape, with its industry system, was a critical step forward. Now, Strio and whatever Rover comes up with are here to refine it further. I'll never perfect it; I play too much Warhammer.I still want to try a Warhammer RPG...

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

then why make another rts game.. oh nevermind

As Xom said, it's a slow refining process. I doubt we'll have it down for another year or two but when we do we will have the perfect TBRTS, at which point it will be awesome.

voidstars.png

Art. If it was an experiment we would've stopped with IL

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

/me points to his top grades in science for three years, and the fact that he ran a hard science fiction RPG for fifty pages.As a concept for a Warhammer 40k RPG: The players play as either Rogue Traders or members of the Inquisition, giving them the freedom to act how they like despite the restrictive setting, and a few underlings each to do their bidding. The game would deal with similar themes to the 40k P&P RPGs; a desperate few holding together a galaxy wide Imperium, while others explore high space for thrill, profit, and glory.I'd want to avoid focusing on the war-centric parts of the setting in favor of the more adventure/investigation parts. Probably allow players to play as Heretics, Chaotic Cultists, etc. But definitely no Xenos, they pretty much make human characters irrelevant, one on one. And of course, no Space Marines, though players might be able to call on aid from them in certain dire circumstances.

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

first off that was just a lul cuz in science doing an experiment once usually doesn't get too far in terms of discovery. yeah mmk you don't 'discover' much of anything in science class so it wasn't the best analogy. i, on the other hand, clearly failed analogy class.secondly i dont have a secondly

Edited by ~JC~

I fail to see how it can't be a bit of both. For me, I'm trying to refine the whole thing into a well-oiled machine, but I'm also plinking away at different ideas, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, and how far I can push things before it all crumbles.Speaking of which, three-dimensional maps are presently underway, so covert operations will be somewhat easier to pull off. I've also decided that the way I'm going to implement the "completely empty systems exist" thing is by simply having the players state if they are in an empty system near whatever usable system they're near. Empty systems will be uncolonisable, and, in practice, will likely be used more for stealth than for actually portraying a more realistic side to travelling in an unknown part of space. If someone does just hop from mapped system to mapped system despite lacking a star-chart for the area, though, they will be called out on it.On another note, I would like to hear suggestions for overhauling the industry system to make it a little more functional. One obvious thing I see is doing industrial cost on a ship-by-ship basis, with the GM (in this case, me) determining the industry-cost for a ship (or starbase or whatever) after the player posts the profile for the thing.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I fail to see how it can't be a bit of both. For me, I'm trying to refine the whole thing into a well-oiled machine, but I'm also plinking away at different ideas, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, and how far I can push things before it all crumbles.

both of those sound like an experiment to me.