The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Would we be humans in this Nationstates RPG?

Yes, yes we would. Your humans can be whatever you want though; Europeans Asians Austrians Australians British Icelandic Mayan, just so long as they're human.However, I may have to impose a rule against naming your nation after a real life one; last thing we need is politics arising from that.

I second Kini's motion. Despite everything else I like about it, Starscape is a bit too table-toppy for me.

I can assure you, while we are going have mechanics to keep the balance, there will be a much greater focus on role playing and strategy, rather than 'I have fifty medium star ships, you have three, you're screwed!' Granted, in a situation like that there isn't much one can do, but in this case you can use the environment to your advantage. Remember the Russo-Fin war? The Russians plowed through the flat lands, but the moment they hit the mountains the mighty Soviet juggernaut got stopped. Similar ideas will apply here.As for the fantasy RPG-RTS, well, I like the idea but I'll need to see the mechanics first. Magic is a very diverse thing; you'll need to limit it carefully. Edited by Cartographer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

This is what I have so far, but of course it needs to be greatly expanded.Combat System:There are 3 basic types of units: Infantry, Cavalry, and Archers (Siege and Hero are not basic types)Infantry are better against CavalryCavalry are better against ArchersArchers are better against InfantryAll weapons in the game deal one of three different types of damage: Blunt, Pierce and Slash. Hammers would do blunt, axes would do slash, most arrows would do pierce, etc.Units can be upgraded with certain armor and weapons that make them more resistant to a certain damage or increase the potency of a certain damage they deal.Magic System:circle.pngEach player may choose one circle of magic to study, and can choose two others later as they progress. Spells range from battle mages casting incantations in combat to world-wide effects that send a great plague of locusts on an enemy empire. Each circle is divided into 3 arches, each of which specifies a certain aspect of this circle. Each circle has a single world-wide and immensely powerful spell that takes much time to prepare through intense ritual and exotic ingredients to focus magical power. Each arch has lesser spells that have considerably less effect, yet can mean the difference between victory and defeat in war. For example, if a vast enemy army is about to cross a frozen river, cast the spell from the Flame arch to melt it and slow them, giving you time to muster your defenses.Technology:There are many different solutions to the same problem in warfare, and players are rewarded for being creative in their arsenal of weapons they choose. The world is deep with many precious metals, and steel is by no means the strongest metal one can forge. Ores and metals are randomly distributed across the world, and so setting up more than a few mines is no doubt a good idea. Experimentation also plays a role, and players are encouraged to think beyond mere catapults and siege towers and think of things far more unique and new.Cities:You begin with a single small city at a location you may choose, and generate a revenue of gold and resources every day. What resources you get depends on the environment the city is in and any nearby mines/farms/lumber fields you have. When you have the resources and money needed, you can establish a village somewhere else in the world. As with Starscape, villages have varying stages which influence how much gold they produce every day and how much of a military population it can support.I'll add specifics later, but for now I merely wish to know if anyone is interested.

-[bZRPG Profiles]-

- [Vejmeq] - [isiak] - [Qathek] -

Okay, yeah, that is just plain awesomeness.One suggestion, is to add a second Archer type to go with the Siege and Hero types for infantry and cavalry.But that magic system is just plain awesome, and would even work in a non-RTS-like game. I'm very impressed by that. =)I think I would definitely join that, if it was made. Ultimately depends on how much time I have, but I believe I can multi-task it. =)

Thank you. As for Heroes, they are basically categorized as Infantry, Archer or Cavalry, depending on what sort of hero it is. Siege exists outside of the Infantry-Cavalry-Archer system, as they are used against buildings and work differently than the other three. For example, you can disable it by killing the crew and even capture it.

-[bZRPG Profiles]-

- [Vejmeq] - [isiak] - [Qathek] -

...Yeah. It's epic, but only in the RTS sense. This is, at the end of the day, an RPG; the CityState RPG I'mma making is going lean much more heavily in role playing than the RTS side of things. The mechanics are awesome, but just not for an RPG. Now, if this were made into a RTS video game it'd be awesome. Not in a TBRPG though.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The Infantry<Cavalry<Archer<Infantry system, as I suggested, was taken from Age Of Empires, the RTS, where it was nowhere near so simple. Certain infantrymen were tough enough to survive arrow fire to the point where they could come to grips with the archers, some archers had bonuses against Cavalry, etc.However, looking at the Nationstates RPG, I'd say it makes the Fantasy World RPG kind of redundant.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Well, the Fantasy RPG-RTS works as a sort of SS on land; you get your own species, crazy exotic stuff, etc. The Citystates RPG-RTS, while taking a few names and mechanics from SS, honestly isn't going bear much resemblance to it.

voidstars.png

Yeah I mean, the Infantry<Cavalry<Archer<Infantry system, while it does make sense in Age of Empires, can't be that dumbed down. There are always exceptions to the rules, and some troops will simply fair better than others.Kinda why I'm not putting too much standardization in the Strio Karla (the name of my RPG that I settled on); some things must be standardized, but the slight complication that comes without standardization will be worth the effort. Muddles the approval process a little but by the time me and Koth bang out all the issues it should be fine.

voidstars.png

combat triangle defeats the point of an rpg, imo.sure you can make it balanced, or you can make it interesting. i don't play starscape because it really feels like the point of it is to win. i can understand, hey, who wants to tell the story of a bunch of people getting hunted into nothing, i've made that argument in this topic myself, but i think that literally giving people classes and telling you which class is better then the other class is just is kinda akin to the 'levels of magic' that was talked about a few pages back.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Alright, that's is, I'm pulling up My RPG.Medieval Starscape/Interstellar Line? Check.Anyone wants to do a Medieval/Fantasy Starscape i suggest you look at it considering it was approved by all judges save sisen. While i never was able to play it the ideas and systems are still there and up for editing. But best to look and take advice from something that got through the system, especially when final approval was delayed only because of the system being reworked. If, at the very least, someone can rework it into something cool and new, I'll be happy that it got some sort of use.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

So, for my insect RPG a couple pages back, does anybody want to co-host it with me?

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

*meekly walks in*Oh hello guys. Not sure if anybody here remembers it (actually maybe some people) but would anybody be interested in playing a revamped version of Kingdom Gaeabionta? For refreshers: It's basically just future: animal genes spliced into humans -> two different kinds of hybrids developed: Roetians and Sapiens -> Roetians are unwanted -> plant Sapiens are thrown in -> Roetians gets mad tries to take over North America -> Humans are like OH NO MUST STOP -> conflict.I realize that is a lonngg time ago and it had a few problems but I was just wondering if it would still kick up some interest, this time around, if a few things were changed around.Thanks for your time guys!

<( o _ o )>

Sup

1) People just brought your RPG up a couple pages ago.2) I never played the original (but I read the first post and it was quite interesting) so if this is like it, and the people I know will play it, I likely will as well.

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

I'll help if you need it. I've got some ideas for you.Kini: Are you trying again? I was really looking forward to playing that.

I don't know if i'll try again. Maybe in a while as i don't want to flood the forums with SImilar RPGs, i'll let Humva and Koth do their thing first. Besides, i brought that up more as a "take some pointers from this and see what you can do with em" than a "I'm gonna try again"You never know though, i may just try again :PAfter all, like i said, it was approved.

SWEET CONAN'S CODPIECE YES I DEMAND KINGDOM GAEBIONTA'S RETURN*ahem*To be honest. the insectoid RPG seemed badly conceived and too simple. Just another "let's you and him fight" RPG. KG, on the other hand, was always about the political intrigue and such that came with the fighting, not the fighting itself. It has my vote in everything forever.My only suggestion is to pull the scope of future back; maybe set it in the 2070s or so, not 2270s. It always felt weird to me, being that far in the future and having so few changes to everyday life. The way the field of genetics is looking these days, splicing like that might just be possible by the end of our lifetimes.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

HNYOU RETURNEDYOU KEPT YOUR PROMISE :DI am all in favor of KG 2 with revamped rules. I'd hate to see a restart but I guess I'd be fine with it; me and Necro's characters had a thing going though, and there's a one megabyte file -that's huge since it's just text- sitting on my harddrive, of my opening post for KG 2 xD

voidstars.png

Expect me to come back with revamped characters. Ones that are actually, you know, good.

-Rover

Haha glad to see that there's still some support for KG. :D Thanks guys!I was actually thinking of placing KG a bit further in the future (maybe 5-10 years-- Haha sorry KoS...or Xom if that's you o_o) with different technologies (probably make things a bit more "realistic")that tweak the weird only-humans-have-weapons thing (basically, non-humans would also have a form of tech too), lessen the amount of places that one can start out in, alter characters and storylines (mainly by crossing them out, and adding the stuff that comes in between where KG left off and KG2 is beginning), and create a new system of player interaction and "leveling".So technically you can still use your old character templates, if you still have them, although everybody will have to start out at the beginning (Stage 1) again.Gah. And I totally forgot about Necro's character. She definitely did a lot haha. Going to have to reread my submission. Can anybody PM me what they can remember from the RPG? My memory's going...

<( o _ o )>

Sup

awight so i got my thinking pants onits a fantasy setting, like discussed earlier. humans on one side of the spectrum, and vampires on the other. vampires are hunting the humans and the rest of the mortal monsters down, as food, right. humans, naturally, don't wanna get eaten. neither do the other races. elves, orcs, werewolves, you name it, go for it. we can have our knights in armour, and our wizards and whatnothere's the twiststeampunk settingfantasy steampunk RPGthoughts?

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Ew no.Steampunk in general has, in the last two years, gotten completely overdone. Both the mindless "GEARS BRASS AND TOP HATS EVERYWHERE" and things that are actual Steampunk. It's annoying; I can't wear my top hat any more without bringing all the boys to my yard.

-Rover

Ew no.Steampunk in general has, in the last two years, gotten completely overdone. Both the mindless "GEARS BRASS AND TOP HATS EVERYWHERE" and things that are actual Steampunk. It's annoying; I can't wear my top hat any more without bringing all the boys to my yard.

I haven't seen anything on BZP with any sort of steampunk setting, mildly integrated or heavily integrated. Same goes for books, movies and games (this includes the 1880s stylization and romanticized England, although I suppose the two Sherlock Holmes movies could fall into the 1880's-subgenre of historical fiction). There is a large following for the steampunk genre, and in my opinion the genre has spurred more interesting works than many others.Though, hasn't science fiction and fantasy been done to death, too? Does that mean we ought to not make any games of those genres?So why wouldn't steampunk work? I'd like to know.

I kind of agree with Spink.Mayhap Xom, as you were (as I recall) a massive fan of steampunk, it's not so much the Genre being worked to "death" as it is you?The last time I saw steampunk on this site was years ago. In your very epic.

While Steampunk is very popular elsewhere, I see no signs of it being "worked to death" any more than space combat has been worked to death. But then, of course, your mileage may vary.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Last year, I had a top hat and blowtorch goggles, which I wore on excuse. Six months later, I dropped them when I realized Steampunk isn't about that; it's about Victorian culture and technology's effects on it. I got disinterested in that about three months ago.The top hat is sitting on a shelf two feet away, and I have absolutely no inclination to wear it for something like this.Basically if you just do "brass and gogglez lol" Steampunk I won't think much of it. If you do something about Victorian Culture(which I know little about to be honest) and the impacts of an odd tech tree on that culture, then I'll be more interested.I think that Steampunk in particular is done to death easier than others for two reasons. First, it's a Subgenre, not a genre all its own. Steampunk is Cyberpunk(and, by extension, Science Fiction) mixed with Victorian Fiction. Second, it's being done by seriously everyone. Most of the chans have two or three steampunk threads if not a whole board.

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

I'll be honest with you: It really heavily depends on whether or not you're running the thing.

-Rover

Last year, I had a top hat and blowtorch goggles, which I wore on excuse. Six months later, I dropped them when I realized Steampunk isn't about that; it's about Victorian culture and technology's effects on it. I got disinterested in that about three months ago.The top hat is sitting on a shelf two feet away, and I have absolutely no inclination to wear it for something like this.Basically if you just do "brass and gogglez lol" Steampunk I won't think much of it. If you do something about Victorian Culture(which I know little about to be honest) and the impacts of an odd tech tree on that culture, then I'll be more interested.

Implementing steampunk elements into a game would, from something I would devise [Which I am, devising a steampunk TBRPG], incorporate the culture of the 1880's era of London to a degree. Though, it's a fairly noticeable concept that apparel doesn't make a setting, and that setting encompasses culture, cuisine, propriety of the society, social paradigms and all of that. From what I know and have read, when it comes to steampunk based settings, there's always a culture and a society designed with its own classes and caste system that makes the world come to life, much more alive than plenty of the standard fantasy works published by less-than-well known authors.Regardless, a setting would only be aesthetically Victorian and aesthetically steampunk, with some of the social elements mixed in, but it can't be precisely what the Victorian era was, simply because it is not the Victorian era. The game itself would have its own society, its own social paradigms, its own conflicts, officials, cities and so on and so forth, which would be supplemented by the technological advancements allowed within a steampunk-style setting. The military, for example, would not wear what Queen Victoria's military did during that time frame, and garments of officials and of royalty would be different and stylized to fit the society and to make it its own. At the same time, things like greatcoats, long coats, tailcoats, tophats and so on would be present, simply because it'd be the raiment of the time instead of crudely crafted leaf hats.It's not purely about looks, but it's not purely about being as Victorian-esque as possible with steampunk elements. From a gameplay perspective, using steampunk elements in a fairly fantasy-esque setting gives more options to players as far as designing characters goes, as far as travel options are concerned, and stretches to weapon possibilities and so on.

I think that Steampunk in particular is done to death easier than others for two reasons. First, it's a Subgenre, not a genre all its own. Steampunk is Cyberpunk(and, by extension, Science Fiction) mixed with Victorian Fiction. Second, it's being done by seriously everyone.

Don't mention forums. (I deleted the portion of this quote that contained the reference).Steampunk isn't "done to death," and a subgenre is not done to death easier than the generic genre it is derived from. There aren't many books with a steampunk setting, there aren't many movies with a steampunk setting and there aren't many games with a steampunk setting. Just because forums with a steampunk fanbase mention it a lot, does not make it over-done as far as media is concerned. It would be like stating that "anthropomorphic animals are overdone in media" after coming from a furry-fandom board.Either way, there are other genres that are done a lot more than steampunk, but people don't stop writing for those genres (and subgenres) just because there's a lot of subject matter in the field -- they want to tell a story, and that setting fits the story the best.I could see merit to the claim if BZPower was full of steampunk TBRPGs, but as it is, there are none I know of. Edited by Spink

@JC:No, I make too big a deal of you.@Spink: See, with you running it, I think it could be completely and utterly marvelous. Especially if we have "Steampunk Fantasy" to throw a bit of a twist on it, rather than generic Steampunk.Anyway, I'm still considering that Low Fantasy RPG idea. Make it somewhat intertwine with the Conan stories and Cthulu Mythos(which are technically one and the same) but not completely.

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

Ugh, could you two get a room? This is for discussing plans for RPGs, not how strong your feelings for each other are.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom