The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I was making a point. While the TES Wiki is more reliable than most sites, IGN and out-of-the-way timeline databases aren't the most reliable sources for information. The people at UESP know what they're doing. 

Maybe I was being too smug, and for that I apologize. But remember, I get up at around 6 am every morning and don't get to go to bed until 11 pm. I'm tired, and I take it out on others. 

Right now, most of my brain is trying to imagine what adjective you used. 

My bet's on ######.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I was making a point. While the TES Wiki is more reliable than most sites, IGN and out-of-the-way timeline databases aren't the most reliable sources for information. The people at UESP know what they're doing. 

Maybe I was being too smug, and for that I apologize. But remember, I get up at around 6 am every morning and don't get to go to bed until 11 pm. I'm tired, and I take it out on others. 

Right now, most of my brain is trying to imagine what adjective you used. 

My bet's on ######.

Your sleeping patterns are entirely under your control. If you find yourself becoming grumpy due to lack of sleep, it's your job to either get more sleep or to avoid interactions likely to rile you up. Nothing gives you the right to take out your frustrations on others. That's something that should be common sense for everyone.

• Upvote 4

Yeah I don't think he was saying it was "his right" so much as "Yeah it happens and I want to apologize in advance if it does". Accendents happen and he is owning up to them as opposed to just making excuses. Not everyone can devote extra time to sleep. There was a time when I was only able to get maybe 3 hours within a 48+ hour period due to an alternating work schedule. It's not pleasant for either side of the party. I know, that's why I choose meditation to keep my temperament I check.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

But remember, I get up at around 6 am every morning and don't get to go to bed until 11 pm. I'm tired, and I take it out on others. 

Look I get up at 6 as well, if I'm lucky I'll get to sleep by 12 AM, more often than not I won't be that lucky and will go to sleep around 2 or 3 AM. For many of us that's just the way life is, yeah it sucks but that doesn't give you an excuse to take it out on others. If you're really tired and grumpy just don't post until after you've slept. You don't see me going around being a smug and condescending jerk, there's no reason that you have to be one as well. 

I get it okay, having a messed up sleep cycle can put a lot of stress on you, it's not really surprising that you end up taking those stresses out on others. However that by no means excuses anything. If you feel stressed don't post or read over it and find a way that you're not taking your frustrations out. You can always wait to post at another time. Also don't be afraid to apologize, again and again and I don't mean one throw away word. I mean a completely sincere apology where you acknowledge that you were in the wrong. Don't throw in a single word in a rant where you just try and justify yourself. Apologies speak loads about one's character and, to tie it back to the game at hand, make you far more trustworthy as a GM. 

At this point all you've done in pursuit of trying to make this game is alienate others. You can't have an RPG if no one wants to play because you're the GM. My advice would be to take a step back and listen to the complaints of others and I mean really listen. Find and a really good co-GM, someone who's had experience, and listen to them as well. You can't keep stubbornly defending your game and ideas when the vast majority of people reading find issue with it. 

And honestly, I would recommend finding some one who's been RPing on this site for a lot longer, and earned our respect, to GM the game. Not co-GM, but be the head GM. I'm sure there's a few people who have great ideas for an Elder Scrolls game, so ask one of them if you can co-GM their game. Learn the ropes by watching someone with experience, use to the time to mellow, and get a better understanding of how games work in the OTC. Then you can feel free to try to make your own game afterwards. It'll make you a lot more credible and appealing to the judges. 

But hey, that's just my two cents, make of it what you will. 

• Upvote 4

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Having had experience with short sleep cycles in the past, I can sympathize with feeling a bit irritable. However, we are rational and thinking creatures capable of not acting immediately on our impulses, so it's generally considered polite to suppress that to the best of your abilities.

At any rate, given your attitude in the topic, I feel like Tryon's advice is well-founded. Find someone else to GM this RPG, stick around as a co-GM. Learn how things work in the OTC. As it stands, I'd feel pretty leery about letting you head this project.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yeah I don't think he was saying it was "his right" so much as "Yeah it happens and I want to apologize in advance if it does". Accendents happen and he is owning up to them as opposed to just making excuses. Not everyone can devote extra time to sleep. There was a time when I was only able to get maybe 3 hours within a 48+ hour period due to an alternating work schedule. It's not pleasant for either side of the party. I know, that's why I choose meditation to keep my temperament I check.

Thanks, Prowl. Summed up exactly what I was thinking.

Lucina, eh... sorry to say, but my sleep schedule is not under my control. I'm 14 and have to get up when my dad goes to work, which can be anywhere between 5:30 and 8:00, though most days, it's 5:30. As for when I go to bed, I do have a lot of chores that have to get done at night, so I'm more-or-less stuck until they're done, which isn't until around 10:30. Then I make my bed, take the dogs out, feed the cats, and at that point, it's already 12. So, yeah, I am very, sincerely sorry for being a cranky buttnugget, but I can't exactly sleep in.

As to Sora's advice, yeah... you're right... I'm totally at fault there. I shouldn't post when I so tired, so... yeah. I'll try and read my posts through until they don't come off so... well, Tyler summed it up nicely.

And to Alexandra, I've had some bad experiences in the Bionicle RPG side of things with The Asylum, namely when things got stalled for a full week because the head GM screwed up, which is why I'm insistent that either I'm the head GM or at the very least, on equal footing.

tl;dr Sorry for being a donkey, but I can't control when I have to get up, and P.S. I'm leery of letting someone else "take the helm." 

Speaking of which, remember when I said that I was thinking of creating a Vvardenfell RP? Well, progress is being made there. The biggest issue is finding out how to encapsulate Vvardenfell's massive size. I'm thinking of simply linking to the Morrowind places list on UESP. Right now, I'm just playing a lot of Morrowind to figure out what made it "click."

So far, all I've gotten jotted down is "generic vending machine dialogue" and "losing in combat because I have incurred the wrath of the Random Number God." 

Oritius Maro is a pain in my butt.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

You can be as insistent as you want, and as leery about letting someone else steer the ship as you want. In my ever-so-slightly-professional opinion, however, there's still a few things you need to learn about the OTC before being entrusted with GMship. For instance, not taking the "my way or the highway" approach to making an RPG, or generally disregarding people's opinions without proper consideration. Indeed, most RPGs nowadays rely heavily on community input and formulation, which that attitude completely ignores.

With that in mind, I cannot in good conscious approve an RPG led by you. You're welcome to figure out a division of power with your co-host, but you being the principle head isn't something I feel is very appropriate.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I'm open to sharing leadership 50/50, but letting someone else take the helm has had some bad experiences for me, not just on this forum, but on others too *cough*NationStates*cough*

In 3 different RPs, I've been second fiddle-GM. In 3 different RPs, something got screwed up by the main GM because he refused to listen to input until it was too late (well, okay, 2 RPs, Asylum survived) so you'll have to forgive me if I'm just a little bit weary with giving up the reins.

And, BTW, I did try to compromise with you guys when I wanted a Hammerfell RP, by letting you choose the plane of Oblivion that would take focus, but all I got out of that was a simple "what" from Tyler about a week later. Needless to say, I started to feel the "my way or the highway" approach also afflicted the community as much as it did me. I think I might be a carrier of hard skull.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

there's your first problem, nationstates is an awful community with awful rampant opinions

the thing that's really irking us here is that most of the people responding to you have years of GMing and co-GMing experience under their belts and do know how they can really help elevate a game above its first draft in the planning process. whatever you think of me or my attitude, i'm not ghidora. come to think of it none of us are.

nah the people responding to you are almost universally TES fans who want to see a good game go through, and if you pick the right co-host i wouldn't be completely averse to approving it. you suggested a vvardenfell RPG, i suggested someone who knows the dunmer culture better than anyone i know. your attitude alienated him. but if you try your hand at actually listening to what we have to say and offering us more than lazy, half assed compromises, you'll get the results you want and we'll get a little incentive to play. if you bend a little, we will too, i promise. that's the way it works here, but first you have to be willing to bend

or don't. honestly i'm surprised i'm still responding, but i guess hey i really just want to play an elder scrolls game

-Tyler

Edited by Aikuro Mikisugi

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Okay, when I first suggested a Hammerfell RP, and you guys countered with Morrowind, this is how I felt;

Imagine you create a story concept all about, say, feudal Japan. Your characters are all Japanese, there's samurai and shoguns everywhere, and a huge part of the game is about Japanese culture and religion.

Now, imagine, if you will, the community responds with "Wow! That's a great story, but we're not gonna like it unless it takes place in Victorian London with a steampunk setting."

Bam. Your entire concept; shattered. What's worse is that when you try to get them to acknowledge that the setting is a vital part of the story, they ignore you because Victorian London was mildly interesting in the early 2000s.

I want to bend, and I want to be able to listen to you, but when I feel like that up there, I go on the defensive.

But, that was then, this is now. I'm willing to try and bend, if you'll bend too.

So, back to business. If I'm doing a Vvardenfell RP, I wanna know what timeframe it's gonna be set in. I'm thinking about setting it during the events of Morrowind, with the stories running concurrently with MW/TR/BM.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

And, BTW, I did try to compromise with you guys when I wanted a Hammerfell RP, by letting you choose the plane of Oblivion that would take focus, but all I got out of that was a simple "what" from Tyler about a week later. Needless to say, I started to feel the "my way or the highway" approach also afflicted the community as much as it did me. I think I might be a carrier of hard skull.

I'm pretty sure I'm not Tyler.

I mean, my wardrobe isn't filled with skinny jeans that restrict blood flow yet.

• Upvote 5

I mean, my wardrobe isn't filled with skinny jeans that restrict blood flow yet.

I am not sure if this is a stab at Tyler saying something about oxygen to the brain or if you have actually seen a picture of him and he actually wears tight jeans.

List of BZPers to Take Off Pants For:

• Alex
  • Raz
  • Aaron
  • Hub
  • Gabe
  • , n
  • Eyru
-Tyler

Dude when did the OTC area become a strip club. Put your pants back on, nobody wants to see that....

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I am not sure if this is a stab at Tyler saying something about oxygen to the brain or if you have actually seen a picture of him and he actually wears tight jeans.

• Alex
  • Raz
  • Aaron
  • Hub
  • Gabe
  • , n
  • Eyru
-Tyler

Dude when did the OTC area become a strip club. Put your pants back on, nobody wants to see that....

you obviously don't know the RPers very well

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Sorry. I mean, you look... I thought... uh...

I can't use the "I'm tired" excuse, can I?

• Alex
  • Raz
  • Aaron
  • Hub
  • Gabe
  • , n
  • Eyru
-Tyler

you obviously don't know the RPers very well

-Tyler

what in Oblivion?

How did we get from "When does my RP take place" to "Put your pants on, Tyler!"?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

It's perfectly understandable, comrade.

Tyler is a pretty boy, but it is easy to mistake his beauty as that of my mighty masculinity.

But yeah this is par for the course for us, honestly.

Uh-huh. Yep. Mighty masculinity, got it. Okie-dokie. 

Also, check this out;

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/mapmorrenormous.jpg

A full, handdrawn map of Vvardenfell and every single settlement, fortification, ruin, and path. This is what we'll be using as a map for the RP, I assure you.

I've decided to set the game during the events of Morrowind, since that's when all the cool stuff is happening, and nothing's gone kablooey yet. 

And here; http://strawpoll.me/4220727 This strawpoll will determine the starting position of any player arriving on Vvardenfell during the game. I know, canonically, Seyda Neen is often the gateway to Vvardenfell, but I feel a change of place is in order.

Heh, get it? Change of place? Heh...

3obbbu.jpg

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Vvardenfell's a big place, so it makes sense to concentrate most players into one spot as they arrive and let them spread out from that point. Plus, it's not exactly gonna be too terribly hard to leave your starting location thanks to boat service and slit striders.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Uh, no.

That makes no sense at all.

You're crafting an open-world RP with characters that've probably been there a while and don't usually "start" in a single area. What if a player's character was born in one village and stayed there for most of their life while another experienced the same thing but in a different village?

Why does every character have to start in the same village and "enter" Vvardenfell like it's a video game?

• Upvote 2

Now, imagine, if you will, the community responds with "Wow! That's a great story, but we're not gonna like it unless it takes place in Victorian London with a steampunk setting."

I don't usually like being mean, but that's not at all what the community's reaction was.

It's more the opposite, really. I'd have phrased it, in the most polite way possible, "Pls go back to the drawing board and Square 1"

Vvardenfell's a big place, so it makes sense to concentrate most players into one spot as they arrive and let them spread out from that point. Plus, it's not exactly gonna be too terribly hard to leave your starting location thanks to boat service and slit striders.

As for this, this is simply the most ridiculous thing I have heard. This is not a MMORPG. This is not a computer game.

Do you understand how roleplays actually work?

-Dovydas

Edited by Grochidom In Progress
  • Upvote 1

I'm talking, in-universe, how people travel on the island. Slit striders and gondaliers are how the people of Morrowind travel large distances. As for why I want people to all start in one location is because Vvardenfell is huge. At my count, there's 44 settlements (all towns/cities, forts and Ashlander camps) which means that if someone starts in, say, Ald Velothi, they're going to have a much harder time finding other IC interaction that if they started in, say, Balmora or Vivec, places that would be expected to have more interaction because of their size and in-universe population.

Plus, who says you can't be native to Vvardenfell and still be arriving there by boat? For my playthrough of Daggerfall, my character was a native to the Iliac Bay. In Skyrim, my character was returning from Cyrodiil after fleeing Markarth. People in Tamriel do have to move around a bit. Plus, maybe your character isn't arriving on Vvardenfell. Maybe he's in town to see an old friend who is arriving, or is a trader, or an Ashlander trying to make his way in the world.

Point is, I'm trying to make it so that characters don't suffer the problem of "can't find any other humans in the area." Granted, that can still happen once people have spread out more, but for the early game, it's something that can be avoided.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Allow me to pick your last post apart part by part to show you just how ridiculous what you're saying is.

I'm talking, in-universe, how people travel on the island. Slit striders and gondaliers are how the people of Morrowind travel large distances.

People usually gloss over methods of travel when RPing themselves going from one location to another. They cut out the specifics because it's not as important at the interactions between players themselves are.

As for why I want people to all start in one location is because Vvardenfell is huge. At my count, there's 44 settlements (all towns/cities, forts and Ashlander camps) which means that if someone starts in, say, Ald Velothi, they're going to have a much harder time finding other IC interaction that if they started in, say, Balmora or Vivec, places that would be expected to have more interaction because of their size and in-universe population.

People openly go seek out interaction. By limiting the places all the PCs can can start in to one (instead of, say, anywhere) you're disallowing people to exercise the freedom of creating characters how they want. You can have a main hub area for people looking for interaction, but forcing them all into one area isn't exactly fair to your playerbase.

Plus, who says you can't be native to Vvardenfell and still be arriving there by boat?

Again - why must they arrive there? Why can't these characters already be present in certain villages on the island? You completely ignored the point of my example.

For my playthrough of Daggerfall, my character was a native to the Iliac Bay. In Skyrim, my character was returning from Cyrodiil after fleeing Markarth. 

This isn't a ###### video game for ######'s sake.

People in Tamriel do have to move around a bit.

Exactly. So why would you limit their starting point to just one area for the sake of interaction?

Plus, maybe your character isn't arriving on Vvardenfell. Maybe he's in town to see an old friend who is arriving, or is a trader, or an Ashlander trying to make his way in the world.

This is just reiterating the same thing you said just before in which I have to reiterate that you missed the point entirely. You're not allowing people to just be there, on Vvardenfell already, and limiting the ways in which characters could be written to have to include the fact that they've arrived there for no particular reason.

Point is, I'm trying to make it so that characters don't suffer the problem of "can't find any other humans in the area." Granted, that can still happen once people have spread out more, but for the early game, it's something that can be avoided.

Again, people will go seek out interaction as they need it. This isn't a physical world. This is a series of forums and pages and posts and text. Natural compression happens.

My advice: Participate in more RPGs as a regular player first and get a feel for the way regular humans (as you called them) interact with each other and the world. It's pretty obvious that you're not faring too well doing this on your own, and from your complete disregard of the suggestions by multiple people to allow another person to help you GM, I doubt you'll settle for anything less than being head honcho for an RP which you don't really seem to be open about, a format you don't fully understand, and a playerbase you don't really seem to respect.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Perplexed
  • Upvote 6

I just...

What you said towards the end made me have to step away from my computer.

I'm trying to make a better experience for all, just trying to avoid problems I've had in the past on other forums (KSP, an Elder Scrolls forum I cannot place for the life of me, NationStates) but instead I get "oh, this is the most ridiculous post ever" and "let me show you how ridiculous this post is." And then you have the nerve to say that I don't respect you?

I'm tired of this. Make your own Morrowind RP. I'm going to bed.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Heyo, looks like my cue to take the reins of a cool potential project.

Hello all, I'm here to tell you about something wonderful.

Do you remember a time, a time in about 2003, when one of the greatest Elder Scrolls games was released? when you spent countless hours and hours exploring the vast ashlands of Vvardenfell? When you roamed the Islands vast and varied environment in search of adventure?

....Ever felt a little lonely sometimes, while doing all of this?

The False Ones

Welcome to the Dunmer homeland of Morrowind, a land scorched by Red Mountain and the Blight. In this game, you will take on the role of one of many people who have come to(or have lived in) Morrowind. Whether as a brave warrior adventurer, or as a simple villager, you've all the power in the world, and yet none of it currently in your grasp.

This Game will take place in the time when many false prophets claiming to be Nerevar reborn are popping up all over Vvardenfell. Why this sudden outburst is happening is unknown, but the Tribunal Temple and the Ordinators are ruthlessly cutting people down in the streets proclaiming the self proclaimed Nevavarines to be blasphemers. Vivec stays locked in his temple, and Almalexia and Sotha Sil have all but vanished.

You may start your life in Morrowind however you like, though obviously, items like Daedric artifacts and armor will be restricted to GM rewarded items. Major areas for interaction will be Vivec, Balmora, the Urshilaku camp, Ald'ruun, and Tel Mora

This is in very, very early stages of development, and as such, is really only an idea at this point. If I could get an experienced GM to assist, that would be incredible, as I'm only a mediocre RPer at best. That said, here's setting it to open waters, tear it apart, boys and girls!

My advice: Participate in more RPGs as a regular player first and get a feel for the way regular humans (as you called them) interact with each other and the world. It's pretty obvious that you're not faring too well doing this on your own, and from your complete disregard of the suggestions by multiple people to allow another person to help you GM, I doubt you'll settle for anything less than being head honcho for an RP which you don't really seem to be open about, a format you don't fully understand, and a playerbase you don't really seem to respect.

Just my two cents.

*Cough*

May a neutral party step in here? By that I mean I don't have any real knowledge on the Elder Scrolls franchise and don't even know if I would play.

This is almost looking like a bout between the both of you. I mean you both have the exact same idea from what I can tell and simply are blind because of a single aspect. I mean true this is not a Video game but it is based off a successful game nonetheless. So it should not be a surprise that aspects of the game could carry over to a text based version. Even if such an aspect is a general starting zone. From what I am reading IcarusBen has a point regarding the vast expansion of the land in question can result in people being alienating and "questing" or "exploring" alone or maybe with people who like to RP together. Now I do believe the Elder scrolls games did not have a multiplayer aspect so most of the game was single player(Don't know about ES:Online as mine didn't want to work :( ).

Now Perplexed you suggested a central HUB, IcarusBen is suggesting a starting point. They are quite literally the same thing as neither actually prevents the other from branching out and exploring. Sure videogames are more prominent in this aspect. Either based on Species or Faction. This does not mean that a TBRPG cannot do the same thing. I mean even the Bionifight I believe speculates that new players start "here" then can explore the compound. Mind you the compound is not as large as the Elder Scrolls Map linked above. I have joined several RPs on site and even on other Forums and have had my fair share of issues finding someone to interact with. Most of the Posts I read are between people who have either RPed together for years or already have characters that have developed together before I or my character(s) arrived.

So he is not saying that you're character has to be from the starting area or only can RP there. He was merely stating for ease of new players this would be a good place to start. create groups, interact with new and even seasoned players. Whatever it is you'd possibly want to do with other players that maybe you could not find out in the wide open wilds.

On other notes it is not fair to attack IcarusBen's choice to remain as a head GM for an RP he wants to start. I mean from what I have read nobody has offered to co-GM the RP with him. Only stating that he should have a second or maybe even 3rd to take some of the weight off. Something I do believe he has agreed to as long as he does not have to bend a knee to this person(s). Due to past issues regarding a head-GM who jerked their responsibilities as such.

Now a GM is required to format a story and environment that is appealing to their player base. On this IcarusBen is having some trouble. Either because as is suggested he doesn't not have the RP experience to see how GMs and RPs in general work, though since he stated I believe he has GMed under another in other RPs so saying he has no experience in the roll successful or otherwise is belittling to him. A GM cannot simply state that "this is how it is so deal with it or get out" because that is too ridged and negate the expressive play value TBRPGers enjoy. From what I've read IcarusBen is having trouble with this but seems to be getting a handle on it. That being said he also holds a point that if he is suggesting making an RP in a select zone because of "whatever" reason then while there can be room for suggestion too much suggests that you are not respecting the GM or their vision. Intentional or otherwise.

Now it appears things are getting a bit heated and each needs to step back and take a breather.

I do have a question for IcarusBen though... Would I be able to use my character Dar'rak in this RP and to what extent?

xphoto-2767.png,q_r=1390450900.pagespeed<<-Dar'rak

Onua.png

On other notes it is not fair to attack IcarusBen's choice to remain as a head GM for an RP he wants to start. I mean from what I have read nobody has offered to co-GM the RP with him. Only stating that he should have a second or maybe even 3rd to take some of the weight off. Something I do believe he has agreed to as long as he does not have to bend a knee to this person(s). Due to past issues regarding a head-GM who jerked their responsibilities as such.

oh my god i suggested him a co-host twice. i literally said in one of my most recent posts

if you pick the right co-host i wouldn't be completely averse to approving it. you suggested a vvardenfell RPG, i suggested someone who knows the dunmer culture better than anyone i know. your attitude alienated him. 

not reading that is either willful ignorance on your part or ben isn't the one in this topic who needs to read harder after all

-Tyler

• Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Tyler step back please... Your quote suggests a co-host not that you would co-host with him...

I said it was suggested he need a co-host or 2. But nobody has specifically offered to be that co-host. Now are you saying you'd be willing to do so? Then come off it and say "Ben I will be willing to cohost the RP with you" or something to that extent. Instead of attacking him or others who call out the mistakes.

Am I wrong?

Onua.png

i can't quite comprehend what you're trying to say to me but if i'm reading it right yes i think that you are wrong

on the off chance that i've correctly deciphered what it is you're saying to me, let me just reiterate one last time: i literally gave him dovydas'/grochidom in progress' name and said this is the guy who you should cohost with. that guy came in here and tried to help with story ideas. i don't see where you get the right to tell me to come off of it

i'm not suited to co-host this game because i don't have the time and other people have the lore knowledge more than i, and it's not your job to say "you don't have the right to judge this rpg unless you're cohosting" to a guy whose member title flat out says judges rpgs he doesn't co-host

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

No I think it is fair you didn't "decipher" my post correctly partly because I didn't think it needed deciphering. It was very clear what I said. Also your assumption that I said that you don't have the right to judge an RP unless you were a co-host is so far from true you would not even be on the same continent as the ball field.

I said "Step back" that means take a breather. Not "take a hike because you have no right to judge". You know "clear minds prevail" and all that. So when I said that nobody has offered to co-host the RP. You offered somebody else not yourself for reasons you have stated. To who may have offered ideas but unless it was discussed in PMs did not directly offer to be a GM so I would think that Ben would be very much upset. It is one thing to help as several people including yourself has tried to do. It is another entirely to shove one's ideas down another's throat because they know better than you. While not directly stating this is what happened one has to remember we are all humans with feelings behind these screens. Even Ben.

So if he felt this way because he had an idea for an RP and everyone wants a piece of it who is not a GM then yeah it can come off as hurtful. From his Last Post it may appear that this is not only the case but to a point that he has been ridiculed to a point that he may of given up on the idea entirely. Not because an Elder Scrolls RP would not work(You yourself expressed interest in playing), but rather because of hurt feelings.

So if anyone wants to work with IcarusBen in Co-hosting this RP and wanting to work with him instead of appearing against him say so. They can discuss revisions in private and bring it back here for further review.

Anything more is just hurtful banter with no actual goal but more hurt. And this is coming from like a said a 3rd party. As I have nothing to gain or loose from this RP other then another possible game to try and play.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf
  • Upvote 1

Onua.png

I really shouldn't bother picking your post apart as well, Prowl, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Because it's twice as ridiculous as Ben's.

This is almost looking like a bout between the both of you. I mean you both have the exact same idea from what I can tell and simply are blind because of a single aspect.

This couldn't be any more wrong. How do we both have the exact same idea? All I've put forwards are suggestions and bits of criticism about Ben's work. That does not equal having the same idea and arguing over something so basis as letting players choose where their characters start freely. If someone absolutely has to be blind in your bizarro interpretation of this back-and-forth, I suggest you look inwardly.

I mean true this is not a Video game but it is based off a successful game nonetheless. So it should not be a surprise that aspects of the game could carry over to a text based version. Even if such an aspect is a general starting zone.

Yes, aspects of the game carry over, such as setting, plot elements, characters, et cetera. Things like mechanics pulled straight from the game which are translated strangely into the TBRPG are pointless and contrived.

From what I am reading IcarusBen has a point regarding the vast expansion of the land in question can result in people being alienating and "questing" or "exploring" alone or maybe with people who like to RP together.

I don't like having to repeat myself regarding how the land isn't physically interpreted through text as it would be in game. People will seek each other out in the world as they do in the BZPRPG. I mean c'mon, the BZPRPG is spread out over eight separate topics and people still travel the world with ease and go find people to interact with. Sure, this RPG may have a smaller population, but this is only going to be one topic - plus it's dependent on the richness of the lore and strength of the plot; Ben has not provided enough of either to warrant any significant interest in this Vvardenfell RP so far, especially when he's jumping the gun and strawpolling us about where the starting point should be.

Now Perplexed you suggested a central HUB, IcarusBen is suggesting a starting point. They are quite literally the same thing as neither actually prevents the other from branching out and exploring.

In what universe is a hub the same thing as a starting point? I mean seriously - if you want a video game example, and an Elder Scrolls one at that here: In Skyrim, the player starts at Helgen, while Whiterun can be considered a "main hub" of the world. Yeah, neither really prevents exploration, but a set starting point kind of infringes on the player's ability to flesh out their character by having to conform to starting in this area with everybody else. It destroys a bit of the uniqueness that goes into character creation and introduction.

I mean even the Bionifight I believe speculates that new players start "here" then can explore the compound. Mind you the compound is not as large as the Elder Scrolls Map linked above.

Bionifight's main gimmick means a more contained story where characters are 'brought in' from elsewhere. Tamriel is a living, breathing world filled with people that've been there a while. False equivalence.

I have joined several RPs on site and even on other Forums and have had my fair share of issues finding someone to interact with. Most of the Posts I read are between people who have either RPed together for years or already have characters that have developed together before I or my character(s) arrived.

People will seek out others to interact with. I cannot stress this enough.

So he is not saying that you're character has to be from the starting area or only can RP there. He was merely stating for ease of new players this would be a good place to start. create groups, interact with new and even seasoned players. Whatever it is you'd possibly want to do with other players that maybe you could not find out in the wide open wilds.

This is a job a hub can fill without the constraint of a fixed starting point. It's just unnecessary.

Tyler has referred Ben to dovydas on two separate occasions. Ben took advantage of neither. Seeing as he's more or less read everything posted in response to his RPG ideas, it can be safe to say he was ignoring, and is still ignoring, their recommendations. Therefore, we can assume Ben does not want dovydas' help. 

And, in all due respect, if a person knows a lot more about a particular subject than you do, you're going to have to bend a knee to what they're saying sometimes, because they know better than you.

Either because as is suggested he doesn't not have the RP experience to see how GMs and RPs in general work, though since he stated I believe he has GMed under another in other RPs so saying he has no experience in the roll successful or otherwise is belittling to him.

I never said anything about his experience as a GM. I specifically recommended he get more experience as a player, so as to understand where our concerns are coming from better. Don't twist my words.

That being said he also holds a point that if he is suggesting making an RP in a select zone because of "whatever" reason then while there can be room for suggestion too much suggests that you are not respecting the GM or their vision. Intentional or otherwise.

We can respect people's vision's without particularly liking them or feeling that they're the best course of action to take. Look at the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy.

We can respect George Lucas' vision for the PT, but it's almost universally agreed upon that he could have done a better job.

Now Prowl, I don't want to be belittling to you, so I suggest you read what I've said (not just here, in my previous posts as well) extraordinarily thoroughly, make sure you understand what I'm saying, and think on them for a bit before you retort.

EDIT: And as for this...

The False Ones

Welcome to the Dunmer homeland of Morrowind, a land scorched by Red Mountain and the Blight. In this game, you will take on the role of one of many people who have come to(or have lived in) Morrowind. Whether as a brave warrior adventurer, or as a simple villager, you've all the power in the world, and yet none of it currently in your grasp.

This Game will take place in the time when many false prophets claiming to be Nerevar reborn are popping up all over Vvardenfell. Why this sudden outburst is happening is unknown, but the Tribunal Temple and the Ordinators are ruthlessly cutting people down in the streets proclaiming the self proclaimed Nevavarines to be blasphemers. Vivec stays locked in his temple, and Almalexia and Sotha Sil have all but vanished.

You may start your life in Morrowind however you like, though obviously, items like Daedric artifacts and armor will be restricted to GM rewarded items. Major areas for interaction will be Vivec, Balmora, the Urshilaku camp, Ald'ruun, and Tel Mora

This is in very, very early stages of development, and as such, is really only an idea at this point. If I could get an experienced GM to assist, that would be incredible, as I'm only a mediocre RPer at best. That said, here's setting it to open waters, tear it apart, boys and girls!

I understand this is still a concept, but it's still really barebones. If you want some help, I'm sure you could unite the two sides here and enlist the help of both IcarusBen and dovydas.
Edited by Perplexed

Yeah I have been reading the post lad. That's why I offered my opinion. This was a back and forth between Ben Vs everyone else it seemed. He has in fact taken what some have said to heart in his RP from possible location changes to something involving time of the RP. Like I said I am a 3rd party also included was the fact that I don't know anything about Elder Scrolls. You speak of twisting words yet want to do so with my post. Now I am not going to tear into your post as you have mine. You have not "belittled me" by expression your opinion on what I have posted. I would say you have tried to emphasize your point based on what I have posted.

I agree that one can respect while disagreeing with ones choices. There is a level and I stand by what I posted. It was borderline being crossed. You can take what I said and think about it, or not. the choice is yours to make. I have been on the receiving end of years of ridicule from my peers and a Tyrant parent who wasn't even my parent. He just presumed the position. So I have experience being the attacked. I know how it can make one feel.

Onua.png

You don't need to play the attacker and victim game here. None of that's going on. Harsh criticism, maybe, but it's really just borne out of frustration because some people are voicing their legitimate concerns which are being taken through a cycle of being blown off and reconsidered perhaps a little too late. 

I can understand Ben's frustration with having his vision criticized so much to the point of change and further criticism, but no boundaries are really being crossed here. The Elder Scrolls is such an expansive and sensitive idea for a TBRPG, it really has to be outstanding or else it's not going to fare too well in the long run. It's different from an original concept - with TBRPGs based on original ideas, people are given more leeway with their vision; with an intellectual property like The Elder Scrolls, a person's vision isn't entirely original, nor should it be.

It's all about respect for the IP, generating a living setting, and the execution and management of the RPG itself. Ben's problem isn't so much respect for the IP (although his disregard for help with fleshing out the lore really sets the bar low) as it is generation of the world and execution. Hence why we recommended he enlist some help.