The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Honestly, an original setting might work best. It avoids requiring a player to know extensive lore, or even witness a specific series. With the knowledge outlined in the first post they can be equipped with all they need to know about the world. I liked how Extend did things, by using an original setting but allowing access to pretty much any universe's mobile suits.

I also haven't seen X, so I can't really comment about that particular conflict.

• Upvote 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

You did also ban anything that remotely looked like a Gundam.

There's nearly no information on the 7th Space War. We just have the ideological conflict between the UNE and SRA, whacky Newtype shenanigans, Gundam-types up the wazoo (numerous Gundam Xs, Airmasters, Leopards), lots of grunts, more whacky UNE shenanigans, the After War companion of Gihren's Solar Ray, and then the SRA dropping every colony onto Earth and killing 99% of humanity in the process.

That's basically all we know.

We have all the necessary materials for a setting already there, and nobody would really need to know extensive lore because there is none.

You and I've been talking about this in private a bit, but I'm recapping a little so anyone following along can have an idea of what's going on. :P

Given that Gundam X is basically a potential alternate future for the Universal Century, with a few differences, we could tweak both universes a little so that the 7th Space War was literally a latter stage conflict in that same timeline. That would open up most of the Mobile Suits from the Universal Century timeline, at least up until our chosen point of divergence, and let people use the X designs as well.

And unlike over in Extend, banning all Gundam types wouldn't really work here. Or, strictly speaking, even be necessary; most of the UC and X Gundams weren't ludicrously more powerful than the grunt units, they just happened to have truly exceptional (and in many cases, Newtype) pilots. 

Such a setting could potentially work.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Honestly, an original setting might work best. It avoids requiring a player to know extensive lore, or even witness a specific series. With the knowledge outlined in the first post they can be equipped with all they need to know about the world. I liked how Extend did things, by using an original setting but allowing access to pretty much any universe's mobile suits.

I also haven't seen X, so I can't really comment about that particular conflict.

So does that mean I could use the Dragon Gundam? Sorry, other than my old bunkbed mattress that had Gundam Print on it, the only Gundam stuff I have is a Dragon Gundam and a Gold Master Gundam... Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

You could use suits from G-Gundam in Extend.

Just not Gundams, you'd have to be content with mooks and ace customs that aren't Gundams. At least at the beginning, eventually access to some models of Gundams would have been allowed. 

But yeah, I was planning on using Master Asia's horse as a suit, sadly that never happened. 

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

So does that mean I could use the Dragon Gundam? Sorry, other than my old bunkbed mattress that had Gundam Print on it, the only Gundam stuff I have is a Dragon Gundam and a Gold Master Gundam...

In Extend, the universe wouldn't have been an issue. The fact it's a Gundam would have been. Long story. :P

In all serious, after talking with Hubert, I might draft something up. If only as a mental exercise.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Extend, in its original form, probably wouldn't have worked. Good setting, but our inversion of the usual Gundam tropes would require a more dedicated fanbase than what's really present here.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Is it wrong I've never seen anything pertaining to Gundam? Better yet, how do you hope to ease new players into all of this technobabble? All this talk of G-Gundams and Mobile Suits and Dragon Gundams and Airmasters, it's more new jargon than Star Trek could come up with in a week.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Gundam has very little technobabble compared to Trek.

A Mobile Suit is the term used to describe any humanoid machine in the franchise.

G Gundam is the name of the 1994-1995 season of Gundam.

Dragon and Airmaster are the names of two types of Gundams (which are a type of Mobile Suit). Like a Harrier jump jet or a Blackbird.

Another idea I had for an OTC RP was an Elder Scrolls-themed RP set several years after TES5: Skyrim in the province of Hammerfell. That way, it can be isolated from both the rest of Tamriel and it's previously appearance several hundred years prior.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Why Hammerfell? Why focus on isolating it from the rest of Tamriel? What do you have cooking for this concept besides it being, 1, in Hammerfell, and 2, only in Hammerfell?

As for the Gundam RPG concept, honestly, I feel like one of your primary concerns should be bringing in RPers - looking around OTC, you can get a decent feel for your audience - so what's your plan to draw them in? What's the hook that makes this RPG call out to them in ways that others haven't?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I want it to be on a smaller scale than a full-blown Tamriel RP (i.e. easier to manage and write up interesting stories) and to have a story focusing on things Hammerfell has going for it (a war with the Dominion, Daedra attacking again, a civil war between the Crowns and Forebears, the return of the Dwemer) that are harder to pull off elsewhere because of more far-reaching consequences whereas Hammerfell is relatively isolated. 

Of course, I could also include High Rock, but that's less interesting of a setting to me.

Besides, most Elder Scrolls games take place in just one province or a small area of a province (Vvardenfell in 3, Cyrodiil in 4, Skyrim in 5, etc.) so having a game focused on Hammerfell would be inline with the main games.

Actually, to those interested in this, what is the one province you'd like to see in an RP (Limit; one province please.)

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

oblivion

-Tyler

That would honestly be one of the most clever settings for a TES-themed RPG. We do have precedent, too, as the Argonians counter-invaded Oblivion during the Oblivion Crisis.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

As the primary Dunmeri nationalist of this forum, I have to insist on Morrowind.

I would also like to suggest something nontraditional: it being set not in the Fourth Era, with all its "everything is going to **** now", but in the First Era, in the times of Nerevar Indoril. Because Dwemer, Nords and Chimer going at it with everything short of nuclear weapons is a perfect setting.

-Dovydas

Edited by Grochidom In Progress
  • Upvote 1

I wanted it in Hammerfell because of the large Dwemer presence there. I suppose I'm just not that big a fan of the Chimer. Still, Morrowind is pretty weird, and I suppose that's alright. Shame we won't get to see Vivec, Almalexia or Sotha Sil. 

I'm agreeing with Tyler in that we should be allowed to visit a plane of Oblivion, but which one? I'm leaning towards the Shivering Isles (go Madgod!) but Quagmire and Coldharbour are alright, too.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

please no sheo, i don't trust any rper with him

how about cousin sanguine's bachelor as ###### bropadapalooza

-Tyler

Edited by tylerlicious definicious
  • Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

The problem is the same as Bethesda has; quality over quantity. I want to deliver high quality, not high quantity. It'd be nice to explore all of Oblivion, I just don't have the time to write up good descriptions of everything. Sorry. I'm probably gonna do one plane, maybe two later on.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Coldharbour's so dreary. Constant drizzle, constant fog, constant background chant provided by Molag Bal.

If I had to pick just two, I'd say chill with Sanguine and then hop on over to Apocrypha to giggle at Kirkbride's terrible fanfiction.

• Upvote 1

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Wasn't there something about Sanguine having thousands of really tiny planes instead of one large one? Also, Apocrypha's nice (Hermaeus Mora's tied for my fav Daedric Prince) but how would we work around either Miraak or the aftermath of the Dragonborn DLC? If we put it anytime post Dragon War (pretty much the beginning of the 1st Era) we'll have to deal with that.

I say post-Dragonborn so we can have Hermaeus look for a new Champion.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

wow, now I really wish my two Elder scrolls games actually worked. I really have no idea what you guys are talking about since I have not been able to play the game.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Wasn't there something about Sanguine having thousands of really tiny planes instead of one large one? Also, Apocrypha's nice (Hermaeus Mora's tied for my fav Daedric Prince) but how would we work around either Miraak or the aftermath of the Dragonborn DLC? If we put it anytime post Dragon War (pretty much the beginning of the 1st Era) we'll have to deal with that.

If we end up going with Morrowind (and mind you, a Hammerfell RPG wouldn't be bad, I just think the lore is richer, the geography/geology/biology/topography is more diverse, and there's more of a Elder-Scrolls-Player interest, in Morrowind, adding to retention) I'd suggest something during the Aldmeri-Imperial War - more lore to pick from. Perhaps the Aldmeri Dominion can with Morrowind's government in some way (offer bribes, blackmail, etc) that'd stir the pot of corruption in the province. Allows players to get their proverbial toes wet in as many ways as political and societal instability might allow while automatically generating plot content and liberally spreading it around.

IMO choosing where to set in Oblivion should be accessory to the main location and plot.

If you're serious about this, I would strongly advise you to get in touch with Dov (Grochidom in Progress up there) because he's been jonesing for a good Elder Scrolls game ever since Levacius' years ago - you need a co-host anyway and I can't think of anyone more well suited to the task.

-Tyler

• Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

If we end up going with Morrowind (and mind you, a Hammerfell RPG wouldn't be bad, I just think the lore is richer, the geography/geology/biology/topography is more diverse, and there's more of a Elder-Scrolls-Player interest, in Morrowind, adding to retention) I'd suggest something during the Aldmeri-Imperial War - more lore to pick from. Perhaps the Aldmeri Dominion can ###### with Morrowind's government in some way (offer bribes, blackmail, etc) that'd stir the pot of corruption in the province. Allows players to get their proverbial toes wet in as many ways as political and societal instability might allow while automatically generating plot content and liberally spreading it around.

IMO choosing where to set in Oblivion should be accessory to the main location and plot.

Not a fan of this timeline proposal, tbh. Morrowind in the age of the Imperial-Aldmeri War was in some serious rebuilding after the Red Year and its conflict with the Argonians; both the Imperials, that most Dunmer hate with a passion, and the Aldmeri, who the Dunmer don't particularly trust because they initially supported the Argonians, were seen as enemies that should be shot at the border. Unless we want a game about us rebuilding our crab-shell huts after Argonian armies burned them down, let's not place the game in that historical timeline.

Granted, then again, there are some possibilities for interesting plot in that time. House Hlaalu's exile, the dominance of House Redoran, etc. Still, imho, let's set it either later (post-Skyrim, which I am inherently not a fan of because I feel like it will become a contest for whose Dragonborn was canon) or earlier than the Fourth Era, because a half-wrecked country is not entirely fun to play in.

There's also the Red Year. An atmosphere of total warfare between the Argonians and the Dunmer would be rather interesting to place an RPG in, even if a little straightforward; the plot wouldn't be too complicated, as the war itself wasn't too complicated, just two sides going at it. So, then again, there's a lot more historical events in Morrowind's history that were more politically fascinating and could fit better for an RPG.

-Dovydas

Edited by Grochidom In Progress

I guess I've always preferred it when everything is fine and dandy, and then goes to Oblivion, i.e. Oblivion, where the day is fine and dandy until someone, say... assassinates the Emperor. That's kinda why I wanted to have it be in Hammerfell, because as far as we know, Hammerfell is in a good place right now. The Crowns and Forebears are cooperating, the Dominion got kicked out of there, everything is in working order. As GMs, wouldn't it be fun to make their lives miserable? Say, Daedric attacks, return of some pretty angry Dwemer who've been stuck in Oblivion for a few eras, of course dealing with dragons, instigating a civil war...

It's just an interesting setting to me. Morrowind, on the other hand, has been pretty torn up already, it'd be hard to make things worse; Argonians from the south, the Red Year, the evacuation to Solstheim... Azura isn't exactly smiling upon the Dunmeri people. And that's just the Fourth Era! First Era had the Nordic invasion, the Battle of Red Mountain, the Dwemer going *poof,* Nerevar dying... To you guys, that sounds interesting, but to me, that just bores me. 

To me, it's more fun to make characters miserable than to make miserable characters.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png