Moving to Mata Nui? Plothole?

Hey guys! I really need your help! I couldn't find this information through bS01, bzpower, and elsewhere.

A friend and I have been happily talking and discussing the Bionicle storyline (G1). It's been fun in a nostalgia sense as well as preparing for my upcoming project 'BIONICLE: Catalyst'. Uh oh, though! Found a issue! I think.

Can you guys, please explain to me why the Toa Metru moved the matoran to Mata Nui? What was the specific reason they had or wanted to move? Why didn't they just awake the Matoran in Metru Nui after stopping the Makuta or Visorak?

We are very confused here and would loved if this was cleared up! Thanks!

• Upvote 1

The Great Cataclysm rendered Metru Nui uninhabitable.  The suns had been blocked out, the power was out, and dangerous Rahi roamed the streets.  As they made their initial escape with the first six Matoran, Makuta was in full control of the city and had turned himself into a giant shadow tornado.  I don't know about you, but if a giant shadow tornado comes to my town, I'm leaving.

After they defeated Makuta, Vakama's visions told them of an island where the Matoran could be safe.  As the previous visions hadn't led them astray and their city was basically in ruins at that point, it made sense to see if there were other places to live.

This became even more important once the Visorak attacked Metru Nui and Roodaka was able to free Makuta.  At that point, Makuta simply was not going to allow them to live in the city as part of his plan to slowly kill the Great Spirit, so the only other place they could go was Mata Nui.

• Upvote 5

Okay, thanks so much SPIRIT! Bless you, coming and saving the day.

So the beginning totally makes sense. We discussed and covered that, and thanks to your elaboration (that death tornado, man) isn't as plot-holey as we feared.

But why didn't they just take six matoran back after defeating Makuta? The trusting of the vision thing makes sense, but how did they know the Visorak would be a thing? It would had been much easier to just go back and keep everyone in one place, right?

According to the timeline, they load the six matoran, they make their way out, death tornado, fight makuta, protodermis cage--and instead of taking the matoran back, they instead journey with -just- six matoran to scout out a place, (go through a whole ordeal with six eternally sleeping matoran) and then go all the way back?

So overall, makes sense, buuuutttt...

Dume, Rahaga, Keetongu, some rahi, had to stay in this uninhabitable place for a long time when maybe it would had made so much more sense to have th Matoran awaken there and help rebuild everything. Granted, no one knew about Dark Hunters or Visorak. But all the more reason to stay and defend it, right?

Narrative wise makes sense. We needed to get to Mata Nui for the story, but why did no one ever question Vakama's vision and decision? It seems it would go really against a lot of their intellectual and independent nature.

• Upvote 1

Okay, thanks so much SPIRIT! Bless you, coming and saving the day.

So the beginning totally makes sense. We discussed and covered that, and thanks to your elaboration (that death tornado, man) isn't as plot-holey as we feared.

But why didn't they just take six matoran back after defeating Makuta? The trusting of the vision thing makes sense, but how did they know the Visorak would be a thing? It would had been much easier to just go back and keep everyone in one place, right?

According to the timeline, they load the six matoran, they make their way out, death tornado, fight makuta, protodermis cage--and instead of taking the matoran back, they instead journey with -just- six matoran to scout out a place, (go through a whole ordeal with six eternally sleeping matoran) and then go all the way back?

So overall, makes sense, buuuutttt...

Dume, Rahaga, Keetongu, some rahi, had to stay in this uninhabitable place for a long time when maybe it would had made so much more sense to have th Matoran awaken there and help rebuild everything. Granted, no one knew about Dark Hunters or Visorak. But all the more reason to stay and defend it, right?

Narrative wise makes sense. We needed to get to Mata Nui for the story, but why did no one ever question Vakama's vision and decision? It seems it would go really against a lot of their intellectual and independent nature.

A large portion of Legends of Metru Nui was about no one trusting Vakama's visions but the visions being right every time.  I think at some point they just resigned themselves to trusting the visions implicitly, which may have contributed to Vakama going a little power-crazy in the lead up to his Hordika transformation.  So when Vakama starts to get visions telling them to abandon Metru Nui and go to Mata Nui, the other Toa just went along with it, I think.

As for the Matoran, I think the initial reason for bringing them was a panic reaction.  "Oh shoot everyone's in a coma, let's grab the six closest people and escape."  But then it became more useful when they were able to use the Matoran to keep the Lhikan buoyant.  After that, I guess their plan was to keep taking the Matoran back in batches of six until they had rescued all of them or at least found a more efficient way of doing it.  Presumably on one of their voyages (either there or back) they figured out that there was enough of a gap to bring their collection of airships through at the end of Web of Shadows.  There was also the risk of the airships not being operational, which would've been an issue since none of the Toa Metru were mechanics.  But it is also a bit of a "why didn't they just ride the eagles to Mordor?" type thing.

Now the Dume, Rahaga, and Keetongu thing was just how I interpreted things for the A Thousand Years Untold contest, and I'm not sure if that was actually Greg's intention for things in hindsight.  The city had no sunlight, no power, and a deranged demigod on the loose.  I think the Toa Metru strongly suspected some sort of revenge from Makuta so they were trying to put as much distance as possible between him and them.  I think they hoped that Makuta wouldn't find them on Mata Nui, but they were sorely mistaken.  Luckily Vakama had the Vahi up his sleeve to at least keep them alive until they could summon the Toa Mata. (Don't ask why they didn't do this right away, that's another Mordor eagle question!)

• Upvote 1

If I recall, the goal of their first voyage was just to find somewhere safe to take the matoran.  They had no idea what they would find on the other side of the Great Barrier or what they would face on the journey.  The Toa weren't going to risk everything on a blind hunch (read: ambiguous vision).

As for why they didn't go back and stay, I think thats been covered.  Plus the Vahki were still a thing.

Well I've actually been reading the Metru Nui books and the other toa asked the same question to Vakama. He said it was because his vision showed/told him to.

-Onvermel-

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp