IS BIONICLE RETURNING IN 2020?

It seems like Lego does eventually want to do it, but there's no reason to believe it's 2020. As for what to expect, there's no way to know. Either Lego learns their lesson and gives it the things that made G1 so special, or it just repeats the sins of G2.

• Upvote 3

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Will Bionicle return in 2020?

Will the world end upon the next summer equinox?

Will you ever stop shamelessly plugging your own videos in new threads?

Will I eat pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning?

Honestly, at this point any and all discussion about G3 is pointless speculation.

In any case, the chances of it being a continuation of G2 is practically zero. If G3 happens, Lego will either connect it to G1 in some way or start once again with a clean slate.

I've argued before that G3 is probably going to happen, and possibly soon, for various reasons, but without any official information or even *gasp* leaks to speak of, we might as well predict that G3 will take place in a dyson sphere and will follow the adventures of anthropomorphic nudibranchs.

Wait, that would actually be kinda cool.

:kakama: 

• Upvote 6

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Honestly, at this point any and all discussion about G3 is pointless speculation.

In any case, the chances of it being a continuation of G2 is practically zero. If G3 happens, Lego will either connect it to G1 in some way or start once again with a clean slate.

I've argued before that G3 is probably going to happen, and possibly soon, for various reasons, but without any official information or even *gasp* leaks to speak of, we might as well predict that G3 will take place in a dyson sphere and will follow the adventures of anthropomorphic nudibranchs.

You sir, have my full support as well. Mostly because a Dyson sphere is an insanely cool thing to say/think about.

I Think the chances of it being a continuation of G1 is a s low as it being a continuation of G2. If/when there is a G3, I think it will follow the same path as G2. Completely new, but with hints and teases of the previous line(s).

And no, tomorrow you will have bacon and eggs. I have foreseen it.

Toa Han

• Upvote 1

My Flickr. Old Bionicles on Brickshelf

small_logo.png

If G3 were to appear in 2020

A continuation of G2 may not be that bad.

Since G2 has a simple plot we can make it a ancient past and have Okoto enter a Metru vase. High tech with elemental region integrated around it.

Villagers becoming Toa.

All that good stuff.

But I'll agree with you this.

This is all speculation tell we some leaks don't hold your breath.

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

The Bionicle fandom needs to stop holding its breath for yet another reboot...it's not gonna happen.

Remember, g2 sold so bad Lego cancelled it a year early and didn't even fully release the final line of sets. Why would any retailers want to stock a new iteration of a flop?

It's up to us to keep the spirit of Bionicle alive without Lego's involvement, because it's pretty clear they do not see it in the same way the fans do.

(join afterman)

• Upvote 1

The Bionicle fandom needs to stop holding its breath for yet another reboot...it's not gonna happen.

Remember, g2 sold so bad Lego cancelled it a year early and didn't even fully release the final line of sets. Why would any retailers want to stock a new iteration of a flop?

It's up to us to keep the spirit of Bionicle alive without Lego's involvement, because it's pretty clear they do not see it in the same way the fans do.

(join afterman)

The early cancellation is actually why I personally think G3 will happen, and maybe even soon. 

The extreme urgency with which G2 was axed makes the whole thing seem like a "redesign" manoeuvre rather than a burial. Clearly Lego hasn't forgotten the importance of G1, and instead of giving the reboot a subpar third year after things went astray, they reeled it in and went back to the drawing board to better prepare for the "real" reboot, if you will. 

Plus, Lego keeps cancelling and bringing back themes regardless of success all the time. We've have countless iterations of secret agents, medieval fantasy and space-based sci-fi, all of which continually get axed and brought back in some new form. Bionicle is too much of a Lego staple to bury forever, especially after such an underdeveloped ending.

If Lego planned on killing the line forever, they would have went into 2017 with decreased product numbers, maybe just one wave. The fact that they cancelled early spells out a desire to save Bionicle to me. That coupled with the company's tendencies, declaring Bionicle dead forever isn't prudent methinks.

Just my opinion though.

• Upvote 5

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

you sir have offically have killed any hope in me that g3 will happen, i still want it to happen though. But to acaully answer the question;

i think bionicle g3 will happen in 2021 for the 20th anivercery and hope it will be linked to g1. I think they will start the plot on spherus magna being protected by matanui and the glatorians become toa. I think the agori and matoran will band together to create villages and will proberly play a sport other than kohlii or akini, maybe add thornax into the mix.

• Upvote 3

Hey! I'm Ivan and I love Bionicle, but I am sure yall do too. :P

http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/128635

you sir have offically have killed any hope in me that g3 will happen, i still want it to happen though. But to acaully answer the question;

i think bionicle g3 will happen in 2021 for the 20th anivercery and hope it will be linked to g1. I think they will start the plot on spherus magna being protected by matanui and the glatorians become toa. I think the agori and matoran will band together to create villages and will proberly play a sport other than kohlii or akini, maybe add thornax into the mix.

I'd like to direct you to my other post, wherein I describe why I believe that G3 will happen. My opening post was more a jab at the OP, and not meant to propogate the idea that Bionicle is dead for good. All I wished to convey was that at this point, all discussion is mere speculation due to the lack of official info.

As for my stance on G3:

The early cancellation is actually why I personally think G3 will happen, and maybe even soon. 

The extreme urgency with which G2 was axed makes the whole thing seem like a "redesign" manoeuvre rather than a burial. Clearly Lego hasn't forgotten the importance of G1, and instead of giving the reboot a subpar third year after things went astray, they reeled it in and went back to the drawing board to better prepare for the "real" reboot, if you will. 

Plus, Lego keeps cancelling and bringing back themes regardless of success all the time. We've have countless iterations of secret agents, medieval fantasy and space-based sci-fi, all of which continually get axed and brought back in some new form. Bionicle is too much of a Lego staple to bury forever, especially after such an underdeveloped ending.

If Lego planned on killing the line forever, they would have went into 2017 with decreased product numbers, maybe just one wave. The fact that they cancelled early spells out a desire to save Bionicle to me. That coupled with the company's tendencies, declaring Bionicle dead forever isn't prudent methinks.

Just my opinion though.

• Upvote 3

(join afterman)

Just my opinion though.

I mentioned this theory a good two months ago.

I saw the quick cancellation as a save of the line not an execution of it.

So I agree with this statement.

If Bionicle does return, be it next year, 2020, or fifty years down the road, it will likely be a reboot, not a continuation of G2. A continuation would require fans to understand what happened in earlier years in order to make sense of what's happening in the present. That's partly why G1 ended: it got dragged down by a massive backstory that made it difficult for new fans to jump in.

Will Bionicle return? It's possible that it will in some form or another, as LEGO has a pretty good track record with bringing back old franchises. (see Pirates, Ninjas, Bionicle, etc.) However, it's unlikely that there will be any continuity from one generation to the next: a cancellation generally means that it's over for good.

I made a topic ages ago talking about the signs that there is a G3 coming.

Simply put.

If there are no new original CCBS theme. Then Bionicle G3 is being created and you get it roughly 2018-19

If there is a new theme wait for it's death than Bionicle will return them.

A system line gets a CCBS theme.

Possible but unlikely for a G3 to appear during this sinarior.

I would love to think that, but we are not sure about this. We need evidence, but I see where you got the idea. G2 came 4 and a half years after G1 ended. So you believe that G3 would come out in 4 years after this year, right? Well, back in 2010, we had no idea when will Bionicle come back until 2014. In my opinion, 2020 could be possible, if you are judging by the numbers and mathematical patterns. Here's my list of theory-based ideas about when will Bionicle come back:

1. If it were to come back in 2020, Lego would let us know in 2019, similar to how they announced G2 in 2014. (G2 would celebrate its 5th anniversary, and it would like Batman by being rebooted again in 4 years, from The Dark Knights Rises to Batman v. Superman) 

2. If 2018, Bionicle would be like how Spider-Man rebooted again in 2 years, from The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012 and 2014 to Captain America: Civil War (two years after G2's cancellation). 

3. If 2019, Bionicle would be like how Spider-Man will have its first G3 movie in 2017 (make it three years after G2's cancellation). 

4. If 2021, G3 would be Bionicle's 20th anniversary present. (5 years after G2's cancellation, sort of similar to Spider-Man being rebooted in 5 years from its G1 movies in 2002-2007 to the G2 series in 2012-2014) (Plus, I made similar Spider-Man-based ideas right here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23229-bionicle-g2-and-the-amazing-spider-man-movies-are-alike/

5. If 2022, Lego would use an announcement about G3 in 2021 before could actually appear in 2022 (similar to how Sonic the Hedgehog celebrated its 25th anniversary by just being announced with a big Sonic-Generations-like game called Project 2017, which will come in 2017). 

So, here you go. I hope Bionicle G3 would go with either one of these ideas when it returns.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I would love to think that, but we are not sure about this. We need evidence, but I see where you got the idea. G2 came 4 and a half years after G1 ended. So you believe that G3 would come out in 4 years after this year, right? Well, back in 2010, we had no idea when will Bionicle come back until 2014. In my opinion, 2020 could be possible, if you are judging by the numbers and mathematical patterns. Here's my list of theory-based ideas about when will Bionicle come back:

1. If it were to come back in 2020, Lego would let us know in 2019, similar to how they announced G2 in 2014. (G2 would celebrate its 5th anniversary, and it would like Batman by being rebooted again in 4 years, from The Dark Knights Rises to Batman v. Superman) 

2. If 2018, Bionicle would be like how Spider-Man rebooted again in 2 years, from The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012 and 2014 to Captain America: Civil War (two years after G2's cancellation). 

3. If 2019, Bionicle would be like how Spider-Man will have its first G3 movie in 2017 (make it three years after G2's cancellation). 

4. If 2021, G3 would be Bionicle's 20th anniversary present. (5 years after G2's cancellation, sort of similar to Spider-Man being rebooted in 5 years from its G1 movies in 2002-2007 to the G2 series in 2012-2014) (Plus, I made similar Spider-Man-based ideas right here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23229-bionicle-g2-and-the-amazing-spider-man-movies-are-alike/

5. If 2022, Lego would use an announcement about G3 in 2021 before could actually appear in 2022 (similar to how Sonic the Hedgehog celebrated its 25th anniversary by just being announced with a big Sonic-Generations-like game called Project 2017, which will come in 2017). 

So, here you go. I hope Bionicle G3 would go with either one of these ideas when it returns.

...I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. Mostly just in, how are superhero movies and Sonic related to Bionicle? How would the time from one consecutive Marvel movie to another be related to a Bionicle reboot?

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

...I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. Mostly just in, how are superhero movies and Sonic related to Bionicle? How would the time from one consecutive Marvel movie to another be related to a Bionicle reboot?

I am trying to make theories about how Bionicle could come back if Lego would study these other franchises for how they are rebooted or have their returns announced. Just think: These famous things can come back in around 2-5 years. For example, Batman is DC Comics' famous, respected, and loved-by-many-people icon that had successful movies in the past and Spider-Man is Marvel's icon with the same things. For Bionicle, it was Lego's own famous, respected, and loved-by-many-people icon in the past (it had saved Lego from bankruptcy), so Bionicle should do the same thing by coming back in 2-5 years, like Batman and Spider-Man. So, Bionicle=Batman=Spider-Man. I'm judging by their popularity, and with popularity, they could come back in this amount of time.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Just let people dream. Sometimes they come true.

Sure, people can dream. But picking a date out of a hat at random and asking if that's when Bionicle's coming back doesn't make for a substantive discussion topic. On YouTube, I suppose it doesn't matter whether you actually have anything valuable to say as long as you can get views. But that's not how BZPower operates, nor should it be. There are already two other topics on the first page of this subforum for people to share their thoughts about the likelihood of a hypothetical G3, so I don't see what a topic like this that starts with a baseless assumption adds to the discussion, besides elevating one member's voice above the rest of the crowd.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Sure, people can dream. But picking a date out of a hat at random and asking if that's when Bionicle's coming back doesn't make for a substantive discussion topic. On YouTube, I suppose it doesn't matter whether you actually have anything valuable to say as long as you can get views. But that's not how BZPower operates, nor should it be. There are already two other topics on the first page of this subforum for people to share their thoughts about the likelihood of a hypothetical G3, so I don't see what a topic like this that starts with a baseless assumption adds to the discussion, besides elevating one member's voice above the rest of the crowd.

I see what you mean, though it is unlikely a G3 would come in 2020, it is entirely possible that such a fan prediction is correct. I mean one certain youtuber (who I forget how to spell his name proper, but I think it was something like Zarnt2434) made a little video of the many clips of BIONICLE's CGI videos, all to some music (I think from TSFH) and at the end it said '2015' ... After that video went up he uploaded a new video explaining his reasonings for it, and saying that it was a gut feeling... Then BIONICLE came back, in 2015. Then he made a vidoe two years later when it did come back, of him in tears for multiple reasons, though the main reason was due to family matters relating with BIONICLE.

No really a spoiler...
his Grandmother had died in 2012, and I think she had bought him the Stars in 2010, her last words relating to BIONICLE, and it being replaced with HF was something along the lines of "Oh, that's just stupid." So, having it come back, and predicting it would come back that year just brought back memories of her.

Back on topic now, what I'm trying to say is that sometimes us fans are right in predicting certain dates, such as he was. All I'm saying is that it is entirely possible. Though, explicitly 2020 is a close enough date, I feel for a good story, proper well thought out story, such as G1 which took a myriad or so of three years to plan the story ahead to 2008, and as we all know, after that the story flopped, hard.... Despite the ballsocket issue, the sets then were at least good, for what they were. But that is a separate topic. What I'm saying is that it took the team three years to make an awesome story.... BIONICLE G2 took two years, officially stated by LEGO. From 2013 - 2014. In fact, less than two years. Now I'm now saying persa that an extra year would have made the lore grander that it was, but I know it was an on-off project with LEGO, BIONICLE G2, and by late 2014 I want to say, is when they had it all mostly done, but it just dawned on me that I think the first episode of the 2015 online animations was on LEGO's site since january of 2013.... Maybe 2014..... Or actually 2015, and I'm just getting my dates all wrong here. So I guess it's a moot point.

Okay, so in the end a G3 needs many years of hard story development, set and piece development, packaging, artwork, and especially advertising, BIONICLE G1 in it's earliest years was very hard set on advertising itself as a theme. Will the time between now and 2020, four years, be enough for a G3? If they work as hard as they did for G1, than yes, if they don't work as hard, or if they even down't start within that four year period, let alone work hard, if they lounge for say two years and ioly work on it within the later two years of the fan-predicted date, than it most likely will flop again.

A BIONICLE G3 needs time, and hard work, love, and competence within it's development in order to succeed.

As for the thing of the topic being redundant and simply elevating another fans voice, well yes, that does do that, but it also brings up a very specific point, and honestly I don't believe being salty in this situation is the way to go about it, they made a topic, yes, they may be elevating their voice, but it does bring some amount of discussion to the topic matter in the very least.

Edited by Black Six
  • Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

No.

I see what you mean, though it is unlikely a G3 would come in 2020, it is entirely possible that such a fan prediction is correct. I mean one certain youtuber (who I forget how to spell his name proper, but I think it was something like Zarnt2434) made a little video of the many clips of BIONICLE's CGI videos, all to some music (I think from TSFH) and at the end it said '2015' ... After that video went up he uploaded a new video explaining his reasonings for it, and saying that it was a gut feeling... Then BIONICLE came back, in 2015. Then he made a vidoe two years later when it did come back, of him in tears for multiple reasons, though the main reason was due to family matters relating with BIONICLE.

his Grandmother had died in 2012, and I think she had bought him the Stars in 2010, her last words relating to BIONICLE, and it being replaced with HF was something along the lines of "Oh, that's just stupid." So, having it come back, and predicting it would come back that year just brought back memories of her.

Back on topic now, what I'm trying to say is that sometimes us fans are right in predicting certain dates, such as he was. All I'm saying is that it is entirely possible. Though, explicitly 2020 is a close enough date, I feel for a good story, proper well thought out story, such as G1 which took a myriad or so of three years to plan the story ahead to 2008, and as we all know, after that the story flopped, hard.... Despite the ballsocket issue, the sets then were at least good, for what they were. But that is a separate topic. What I'm saying is that it took the team three years to make an awesome story.... BIONICLE G2 took two years, officially stated by LEGO. From 2013 - 2014. In fact, less than two years. Now I'm now saying persa that an extra year would have made the lore grander that it was, but I know it was an on-off project with LEGO, BIONICLE G2, and by late 2014 I want to say, is when they had it all mostly done, but it just dawned on me that I think the first episode of the 2015 online animations was on LEGO's site since january of 2013.... Maybe 2014..... Or actually 2015, and I'm just getting my dates all wrong here. So I guess it's a moot point.

Okay, so in the end a G3 needs many years of hard story development, set and piece development, packaging, artwork, and especially advertising, BIONICLE G1 in it's earliest years was very hard set on advertising itself as a theme. Will the time between now and 2020, four years, be enough for a G3? If they work as hard as they did for G1, than yes, if they don't work as hard, or if they even down't start within that four year period, let alone work hard, if they lounge for say two years and ioly work on it within the later two years of the fan-predicted date, than it most likely will flop again.

A BIONICLE G3 needs time, and hard work, love, and competence within it's development in order to succeed.

As for the thing of the topic being redundant and simply elevating another fans voice, well yes, that does do that, but it also brings up a very specific point, and honestly I don't believe being salty in this situation is the way to go about it, they made a topic, yes, they may be elevating their voice, but it does bring some amount of discussion to the topic matter in the very least.

Agree.
  • Upvote 1

I believe it will return, but 2020 is a random guess to me. I just want to see another constraction line and see what they can do.

• Upvote 3

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 1 year later...

4. Technically it would be the 21st anniversary, as the line already begun in 2000 in Europe, although many people don't count this year.

Edited by Lukas Exemplar

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.