Useless Knowledge

ToaTImeLord

Legend has it that Barcelona was founded by Hamilcar Barca, father of Hannibal Barca.

There is evidence that Santorini was the location of the Atlantis described in antiquity until a volcano ruined the island, both physically and socially.

In post-Theodosius Roman Empire, eunuchs were deemed the third gender.

My wallet has the batman symbol, and has comic scenes inside.

I have two batman shirts

My ceiling fan chain has an old batman toy tied to it via a grappling hook string.

i have a bunch of batman movies and a few graphic novels.arc chapters

I like batman.

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

William Shakespeare's classic tragedy Hamlet is not considered to be the first version of the story. Previous versions were more story-driven and less psychological than Shakespeare's take. Also, it's possible that he collaborated to write it.

(If this one breaks any rules, I apologize in advance and feel free to remove it.)

9/11 was predicted more than once years before it happened. Putting the Nostradamus hoax aside, the Columbine shooters fantasized about crashing a plane into a building in New York, but they never intended to do so. Then in the year 2000, the video game Deus Ex features a New York skyline that lacked the Twin Towers. The developers wanted to include them and the towers are in the game's files, but texture memory limitations forced the developers to omit them in the actual game. They decided to say terrorists destroyed the towers before the events of the game, which was released over a year before 9/11/01.

(Time for an age-appropriate and Halo-related fact.)

In the Halo lore, Kelly-087, one of the Spartan-IIs, speaks in a British accent in Halo 5: Guardians, and accent she doesn't have in the Halo Legends episode "The Package" and the last episode of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, both of which chronologically happen before Halo 5. Perhaps she became a teaboo?

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

I think you are fine. i could talk about that event, but it would be useful and probably break rules.

Keifer Sutherland voiced Sergeant Roebuck in Call of Duty: World at War.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

I think you are fine. i could talk about that event, but it would be useful and probably break rules.

Keifer Sutherland voiced Sergeant Roebuck in Call of Duty: World at War.

As long as you don't break any BZP rules your fine.

Also kangaroos can't walk backwards.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• The penguin is the only bird that can swim, but not fly.

A mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet long in just one night.

The Dead Sea is roughly 8.6 times saltier than the ocean.

Some species of earthworms can have as many as 10 hearts.

There is enough energy in one bolt of lightning to power the average home for two weeks.

Cigarette butts are the most littered item in the world, with an estimated 4.5 trillion littered annually.  Each butt can take 5 to 400 years to completely break down.

One incandescent lightbulb uses roughly the same amount of power as 5 LED lightbulbs.

• Upvote 1

1. There is a character in the Old Testament, King Eglon of Moab, who is described by the text as "a very fat man." The Hebrew rebel Ehud visited Eglon alone and stabbed him with a blade. Eglon was so fat that his fat rolled over the entire blade and it became lost inside of Eglon. Ehud left, and Eglon's guards thought he was going to the bathroom and waited "to the point of embarrassment" before finally checking on him and finding him dead.

2. Pixar movies like Toy Story and Finding Nemo are about toys, fish, and other non-human characters because the technology was not yet sophisticated enough to recreate humans well enough. Early attempts to render CGI often resulted in the "uncanny valley" effects, making them appear creepy to some viewers. When Pixar finally did create a human-focused film, The Incredibles, the humans were incredibly stylized to avoid the uncanny valley effect.

3. Similary, VeggieTales is about vegetables because they were easier to animate than people. The main character was originally going to be a candy bar, but someone suggested the creator make the characters healthy foods.

4. Jefferson Davis was the first, last, and only President of the Confederate States of America. Under the Confederate Constitution, the President was elected for a six-year term and could not be reelected.

5. After the Civil War, nearly 100 Southern families moved to Brazil. Slavery would still be legal in Brazil until the 1880s, although the majority of the families that left (known as los Confederados) did not own slaves.

6. Monty Python's Life of Brian was banned in Ireland for blasphemy. To make the film, the Pythons read through the Gospels to find comedy material. They found that there was not many jokes to be made about Jesus himself. Instead, they made a film about someone else, an everyman named Brian, who is mistaken for the Messiah and worshiped despite not wanting to be.

7. In 1303, Pope Boniface VII was kidnapped by an Italian family who wanted one of their own to be the Pope, with help from the French monarch who resented papal authority challenging his own. He was rescued and died shortly after.

8. There were six other people before him who willingly chose to call themselves Boniface.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

In Latin, Lex Talionis is defined as being the law of retaliation, whereby a punishment resembles the offense committed in kind and degree.

George Washington was never shot, but would find that his clothes would be riddled with bullet holes after battles.

American President Donald Trump is being paid only a dollar for his work, one of the few to do so.

Tunis is built atop some of the ruins of Carthage (the rest being built off of the site of the old city. Carthage was originally destroyed after the Third Punic War, where it was burned down to the ground, salted, and it's inhabitants enslaved. It would later be rebuilt, becoming a vital Roman city and later a center for Christianity. It would fall from Roman control when the germanic Vandals made Africa Province their kingdom and the city it's capital until General Belisaurius retook the city under orders of Emperor Justinian the Great. Sometime a century later it would permanently be abandoned after the Umayyad Caliphate heavily damaged it and developed the village of Tunis to serve as it's replacement.

Carthage was known by it's contemporary names, Karthago in Greek, Carthago in Latin, and Qart-hadast in Phoenecian. It means 'New City' in it's original language of Phoenecian. This reflects its origin as a colony.

Carthage followed the Caananite religions of the pagan peoples of the Levant (israel, phoenicia), which a part of their faith includes sacrificing of babies and children to their gods, usually Baal Hammon.

In the original tongues, Jesus is the same as Joshua. Jesus is a translation from the Greek name Iesuos, which is a translation from Yeshua (Aramaic, Hebrew).

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Behold, my favorite fun fact: shirts have collars so that way back when, a person working outside could pop the collar to keep their neck from being sunburned. They would put them down when they went to formal events like church, weddings, etc., hence why collars being down is formal. Also, sports that you play outside with no protective gear, such as golf, polo, and tennis, also use collared shirts so you can pop it and not get sunburned.

• Upvote 1

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

That's a relief. I get that the Columbine shooting and 9/11 are sensitive subjects, but then again, so are Nazis. Considering your Nazi-related post wasn't moderated, I figured I would be okay, but I didn't want to cross any lines.

Speaking of the Columbine shooting, rumors were that the shooters used the video game Doom to train for the shooting, complete with custom levels based off the layout of Columbine High School. These supposed "Harris levels" (named after Eric Harris, the elder shooter) were the source of mystery for years, and some said they don't exist. The Harris levels actually do exist, but they were not used for training. Eric simply made some random custom Doom levels that were not based off Columbine High School, but he did draw diagrams of the school, possibly to plan the shooting.

One last Columbine fact for now. Brooks Brown, a childhood friend of Dylan Klebold (the younger shooter) was told by Eric to go home shortly before the shooting began. Brooks didn't stick around. He grew up to work for LucasArts and even worked on some Star Wars video games.

The General was a silent comedy film from 1926. It was considered a flop back in the day, with people regarding it as a terrible and unfunny film, but decades later, it was reevaluated and is now regarded as an incredible watch.

mindeth the cobwebs

There was an Emperor of Rome in the 200's named Marcus Julius Phillippus, also known as Phillip the Arab. He was one of the black arabs of the Red Sea coast (they originally came from Africa), making Phillip one of the few black Roman emperors. EDIT: I was bamboozled. I thought the info was weird but I took it for granted.

Phillip the Arab also may have been the first Christian emperor, but his views were unorthodox to the norm at the time and so the most influential orders/churches deemed him to not be a 'true' Christian. His views to warrant such a statement come from him performing the pagan rites as the Pontifax Maximus for games, but he also sought forgiveness for slaying his predecessor and felt the need to confess his sins while also stopping persecutions and being sympathetic to Christianity. Like Constantine the Great in the next century (300's), Phillip appears to have been confused or tied to both his pagan origins and Christianity.

Tacos were invented in Italy.

Edited by Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Speaking of Italy.

Did you know that old American Western shows where mostly filmed in Italy because it was cheaper.

HollyWood nicknamed these shows "spaghetti westerners."

Got it mixed up man.

There was a director who was Italian and he made a bunch of Old West movies. He had a particular style and so they were called Spaghetti Westerns.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Speaking of Italy.

Did you know that old American Western shows where mostly filmed in Italy because it was cheaper.

HollyWood nicknamed these shows "spaghetti westerners."

Got it mixed up man.

There was a director who was Italian and he made a bunch of Old West movies. He had a particular style and so they were called Spaghetti Westerns.

Really I've always heard it as they went to Italy because of the landscape and permits were cheaper.

Guess I was wrong.

Either way it still Useless Knowledge. :P

Speaking of the Columbine shooting and the Nazis, the shooting happened on Hitler's birthday, April 20.

People claim that wasn't a coincidence. I think the shooters actually planned to strike on April 19th or 20th, but a lot of people say it wasn't an "any random day" kinda gig. One of the theories about Eric Harris was that he was at the very least a Nazi admirer. I don't know this for sure, but his world view was alarmingly similar to the superiority complex-type mindset that Hitler had.

I'd best toss in some facts to keep the post relevant.

Some dinosaur bones were discovered in medieval times, leading people to believe in the existence of dragons.

In Balboa Park, California, there's a big, old carousel that attracts visitors to this day. The carousel, which still works, was originally located a block or two away from its current position. It got moved for a World Fair in 1915 and its old position was converted into a massive, circular fountain.

mindeth the cobwebs

Speaking of the Columbine shooting and the Nazis, the shooting happened on Hitler's birthday, April 20.

People claim that wasn't a coincidence. I think the shooters actually planned to strike on April 19th or 20th, but a lot of people say it wasn't an "any random day" kinda gig. One of the theories about Eric Harris was that he was at the very least a Nazi admirer. I don't know this for sure, but his world view was alarmingly similar to the superiority complex-type mindset that Hitler had.

Some dinosaur bones were discovered in medieval times, leading people to believe in the existence of dragons.

In Balboa Park, California, there's a big, old carousel that attracts visitors to this day. The carousel, which still works, was originally located a block or two away from its current position. It got moved for a World Fair in 1915 and its old position was converted into a massive, circular fountain.

Yeah, I'd be a pretty amazing coincidence, especially since I've read Harris owned a copy of Mein Kampf.

Those are some pretty good facts, too. Your mention of the World Fair reminded me of a morbid useless fact I learned (I frequent a lot of creepy/morbid fact sites; this might be one of the few that should be okay on BZPower):

Serial killer H.H. Holmes constructed an enormous "murder castle" in Chicago in 1893 where he held his victims prisoner. It contained stairways that led nowhere, doors that only led to brick walls, oddly-shaped hallways to confuse victims, and one soundproof room whose only entrance point was a trapdoor on the floor of the room above. While building it, Holmes frequently fired the construction workers and hired new ones, to ensure he was the only person with a complete understanding of the finished building. Holmes was eventually arrested for an unrelated fraud scheme, and then his murders came to light. After his conviction, it was burned down by anonymous arsons, either locals who were disgusted by the building or unknown accomplices of Holmes who wanted to destroy evidence of their involvement. I mention it because part of the reason he built it (publicly) was to be a hotel for visitors attending the World's Fair being held in Chicago that year. Holmes admitted to killing 27 people, but some estimates but the death toll as high as 200.

• Upvote 2

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

William Shakespeare's classic tragedy Hamlet is not considered to be the first version of the story. Previous versions were more story-driven and less psychological than Shakespeare's take. Also, it's possible that he collaborated to write it.

Shakespeare didn't create Hamlet the story; that goes back centuries to a Scandinavian myth. It isn't clear whether he was the first to turn the story into a play as references to a Hamlet play show up in a few texts years before the earliest Hamlet play definitely attributed to Shakespeare appeared. The original play was either an early version by Shakespeare himself or one by another writer that Shakepeare then adapted.

There's a room, build for scientific purposes, that is designed to cancel any echo. People are only allowed inside for a certain amount of time because it would drive them insane.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

The Book of Job in the Holy Bible predates the date it was recorded, and is thought to have been a commonly known story that was preserved by oral traditions, and was recorded by an ancient priest who recorded the story from priests who guarded the oral tradition (rather than say from random villagers). As such, the actual setting of the Book of Job predates the recording of the Book of Genesis, which was written down by Moses from the oral traditions of his people of birth (not adoption). That makes it seriously old.

The makers of the game Deus Ex: Mankind Divided actually designed a prosthetic arm based off of Adam Jensen's arms in the game fit for a girl who lost her arm. She said it makes her feel like a super hero. (how cute!)

Though it does not make an instant satisfaction experience like moisturizers with petrolatum, natural oils from almonds, olives, and lavender are great for the skin and healthier for it in the long run compared to things with petrolatum. This is because petrolatum is artificial and the body cannot use it properly.  (this might actually be useful...)

This isn't exactly useless but more random, and serves to explain the next thing. Relics of the name of the Sumerian God of Creation, named El, appear in Israelite terminology, like Elohim, Emmanuel, and even Israel. That means the usage of the word in a lot of their religious texts and names predates Israel itself, but the validity of it all comes down to one's personal persuasion if El was the first of the Sumerian gods (and thus their ancestral tribal spirits as well) and El is but one of the many names of God, or if it was created later in the middle of the devising of their pantheon. Sort of a 'did the chicken or the egg come first' type of situation.

With that in mind, Superman or Kal-El, who has many Christ-symbolizations (I recall many a forced one in Man of Steel), can be called the Son of El, or the Son of God.

The Coral Castle of Florida is made out of limestone. It was originally called Ed's Place, but after it was moved to a location bordering the Everglades (this took years to move) it was renamed as Rock Gate. Later owners renamed it as the Coral Castle. Edward Leedskalnin, it's maker, said that he moved the stones and carved them using sonic and perpetual motion technology (the latter is current declared as impossible), both of which are allegedly powered by magnets, but there are no instructions for this. Ed also said that his frequent exposure to powerful magnets cured his terminal tuberculosis. Like the works of Nikola Tesla, it is speculated that this advanced technology is lost because it was confiscated by the US government. Suddenly, I want to play with magnets! (just don't swallow them!)

There is a copy of the Bee Movie: The Game that costs over 200 dollars. Likewise, copies have been seen down at 10 cents.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Yeah, I'd be a pretty amazing coincidence, especially since I've read Harris owned a copy of Mein Kampf.

Those are some pretty good facts, too. Your mention of the World Fair reminded me of a morbid useless fact I learned (I frequent a lot of creepy/morbid fact sites; this might be one of the few that should be okay on BZPower):

Serial killer H.H. Holmes constructed an enormous "murder castle" in Chicago in 1893 where he held his victims prisoner. It contained stairways that led nowhere, doors that only led to brick walls, oddly-shaped hallways to confuse victims, and one soundproof room whose only entrance point was a trapdoor on the floor of the room above. While building it, Holmes frequently fired the construction workers and hired new ones, to ensure he was the only person with a complete understanding of the finished building. Holmes was eventually arrested for an unrelated fraud scheme, and then his murders came to light. After his conviction, it was burned down by anonymous arsons, either locals who were disgusted by the building or unknown accomplices of Holmes who wanted to destroy evidence of their involvement. I mention it because part of the reason he built it (publicly) was to be a hotel for visitors attending the World's Fair being held in Chicago that year. Holmes admitted to killing 27 people, but some estimates but the death toll as high as 200.

I doubt it was a coincidence, actually. We can talk about it more in PMs.

Thanks! Best I could off the top of my head at the time.

Oh man, I think I've heard of that guy! It's pretty morbid to think about, but it reminds me of its less morbid counterpart: the Winchester Mystery House. Ever heard of Winchester rifles? The guy who owned the brand had three children, and one of the sons married some woman named Sarah. A few years after Sarah became a widow, people were saying her house was haunted by people who were killed by Winchester rifles. Sarah was having none of it, so she tricked out her house's interior to be something like the "murder castle" from the World Fair, all to confuse any ghosts. The Winchester Mystery House stills stands and it's a tourist attraction.

mindeth the cobwebs

• Over 40 million people of Irish descent are in the United States, 8 times more than the actual population of Ireland.

Australia is the richest source of mineral sands in the world.

A donkey will sink in quicksand, but a mule won't.

The sound of ET walking was made by someone squishing their hands in jelly.

One in ten people live on an island.

The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

The average human blinks their eyes 6,205,000 times each year.

Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt."

• Upvote 2

• The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

Imagine trying to describe your case of lethologica to a friend or something, but you forget the word "lethologica" while describing what it is.

George Lucas, in a period of self-doubt, thought the original Star Wars would be a box office bomb. In order to soften the blow, he planned to go on a vacation during the release of Star Wars. On the day of the premier, George was eating on the patio of a restaurant before leaving on his vacation when he saw a massive line outside the cinema. He walked over to the line and asked some guy what everyone was waiting to see, and the man said, "Star Wars." George would take his vacation in comfort that day. What he witnessed on opening day was, of course, a mere fraction of the success his franchise has reached.

mindeth the cobwebs

• The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.
Imagine trying to describe your case of lethologica to a friend or something, but you forget the word "lethologica" while describing what it is.

George Lucas, in a period of self-doubt, thought the original Star Wars would be a box office bomb. In order to soften the blow, he planned to go on a vacation during the release of Star Wars. On the day of the premier, George was eating on the patio of a restaurant before leaving on his vacation when he saw a massive line outside the cinema. He walked over to the line and asked some guy what everyone was waiting to see, and the man said, "Star Wars." George would take his vacation in comfort that day. What he witnessed on opening day was, of course, a mere fraction of the success his franchise has reached.

Oh, well, if we're doing Star Wars production trivia:

1. Kenny Baker, the little man inside R2-D2, had to be assisted in getting in and out of costume. After one particular shoot, they almost forgot to take him out and almost left him on set.

2. Sir Alec Guinness, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi, had little confidence in what he considered a silly children's film. He threw away all his fan mail from Star Wars fans without reading it. (This next one's a rumor.) It was also Guinness who suggested to Lucas that Obi-Wan die, because he didn't want to be in the other movies that much.

3. While filming Jedi in the Pacific Northwest, Chewbacca had to be accompanied by men in neon vests at all times to make sure no one thought he was Bigfoot and shot him.

4. Three models of the Millennium Falcon were used--a small model of the entire ship to show it flying, a life-size construct of just the cockpit, and a life-size construct of the entrance underneath it.

5. (Also a rumor) The man who designed the Falcon thought of it when he took a bite out of a cheeseburger and set it down next to an olive.

6. Harrison Ford was originally just an electrician working on the set of the film. He agreed to read lines with other actors during their auditions, and then Lucas realized he was pretty good himself.

7. Early on while filming Empire, Mark Hamill was in a car accident and received a scar on his face. The Wampa fight was included to explain his character receiving the scar.

And, my favorite:

8. While everyone knows the voice of Darth Vader, James Earl Jones, less people know the man who was in the suit, David Prowse. Prowse harbors an intense grudge against George Lucas for dubbing over his voice, which he claims to have not been aware of until seeing the film in theaters. (In case you're wondering, Prowse is British with a very distinct accent. There are behind-the-scenes clips with Prowse's voice; they're hilarious.) Prowse claims he would have delivered the "I am your father" reveal differently. He always signs autographs "David Prowse, the real Darth Vader." Lucas has banned him from all Star Wars conventions.

EDIT: Almost forgot another favorite.

9. James Earl Jones was once given an award by a civil rights organization as a successful African American. However, the award was mistakenly inscribed with the name of James Earl Ray, the guy who killed MLK.

Edited by Master Inika
  • Upvote 2

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

The similarities between American presidents Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy are so numerous that there's a separate Wikipedia page on the subject

There's an entire blog spanning the last decade compiling useless information named "Things You Wouldn't Know If We Didn't Blog Intermittently," shortened to "TYWKIWDBI."  

• Upvote 2

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Prescot Bush, patriarch of the American political Bush dynasty (as in the presidents), was caught working with Nazi Germany while the US was at war with them, but any further investigations and legal pursuits were swept under the rug, and after World War 2 Prescot would help create the CIA.

Harry S Truman signed an executive order that created the CIA as a replacement for the OSS of World War 2, however a couple of quotes by him from the 1960's gives clues about his views on the evolution of the organization.

For some time I have been disturbed by the way the CIA has been diverted from from it's original assignment. It has become an operational and at times a policy making arm of the government.

I never would have agreed to the formulation of the Central Intelligence Agency back in '47, if I had known it would become the American Gestapo.

Though he is named in the movie adaptation, the Prince from the Prince of Persia games is not named.

Skrall means 'loud' in Norwegian. Yay desert vikings!

Even though they are dubbed as simply Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls game Oblivion, the fiery world of Oblivion is actually but one plain of Oblivion, the one featured in the game is called the Deadlands. A second plain of Oblivion, the Shivering Isles, appear in an expansion.

I like blue.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Early versions of the Battle at the Black Gate scene in Peter Jackson's The Return of the King featured a duel between Aragorn and a reembodied Sauron, but was felt to be too great of a departure from the source material and would have made that battle too much about Aragorn, so they swapped Sauron for a troll.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Both Columbine shooters have IMDb pages. They've even been credited on the IMDb page of Zero Hour's Columbine Massacre documentary for their appearances in archived footage.

There's at least one website dedicated to misheard lyrics that were submitted by people. Forgot the site's name.

The live-action adaptation of the anime Rurouni Kenshin is considered to be the only good (or at least the best) live-action anime adaptation.

mindeth the cobwebs

Both Columbine shooters have IMDb pages. They've even been credited on the IMDb page of Zero Hour's Columbine Massacre documentary for their appearances in archived footage.

There's at least one website dedicated to misheard lyrics that were submitted by people. Forgot the site's name.

The live-action adaptation of the anime Rurouni Kenshin is considered to be the only good (or at least the best) live-action anime adaptation.

I know the name of misheard lyrics of Lady Mondegreens (from the misheard lyric "lay them on the green") so that might be in the website title.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

George Lucas at one point was going to call the Jedi the Jedi-Bendu.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Early versions of the Battle at the Black Gate scene in Peter Jackson's The Return of the King featured a duel between Aragorn and a reembodied Sauron, but was felt to be too great of a departure from the source material and would have made that battle too much about Aragorn, so they swapped Sauron for a troll.

I am glad they did not do that, but that would have been cool to see, what with the heraldic(?) symbolage with his ancestor that caused all the stuff to come millenia beforehand.

Well it seems the term 'Bendu stayed'. The Old Republic flag and the being Bendu (who's nature reminds me of a physical deity of the sorts).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I am glad they did not do that, but that would have been cool to see, what with the heraldic(?) symbolage with his ancestor that caused all the stuff to come millenia beforehand.

Well it seems the term 'Bendu stayed'. The Old Republic flag and the being Bendu (who's nature reminds me of a physical deity of the sorts).

It would have been cool, especially with how awesome armored Sauron is, but it was good that they opted not to take that route. Although now that I think about it, might have been a cool way to depict the struggle the two had when Aragorn used the palantir as seen in the books.

Funny you should say that, as the Bendu was actually based in part upon Tom Bombadil.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

It would have been cool, especially with how awesome armored Sauron is, but it was good that they opted not to take that route. Although now that I think about it, might have been a cool way to depict the struggle the two had when Aragorn used the palantir as seen in the books.

Funny you should say that, as the Bendu was actually based in part upon Tom Bombadil.

I am personally not a fan of how armored they made Sauron. Peter Jackson himself said that Sauron's appearance in the movies was inspired by his old master and first Dark Lord, Melkor / Morgoth Bauglir. The armor is really cool looking and scary, but it's not for Sauron. I imagine a lightly armored shadowy warlock (necromancer :P ) with eyes of fire.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Once in the Middle Ages, a certain pope was elected in a probably French-influenced election. In response, the church elected another Pope, but the first one refused to step down. In response to the debate between the two, the church held a third, final election. Both of the previous popes refused to acknowledge the results, so for a time there were three men all arguing over who was the actual pope.

This part isn't necessarily historical, but I like to think at some point one of them said, "Ask me something only the real pope would know!"

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Once in the Middle Ages, a certain pope was elected in a probably French-influenced election. In response, the church elected another Pope, but the first one refused to step down. In response to the debate between the two, the church held a third, final election. Both of the previous popes refused to acknowledge the results, so for a time there were three men all arguing over who was the actual pope.

This part isn't necessarily historical, but I like to think at some point one of them said, "Ask me something only the real pope would know!"

Will the real Slim Sacred please stand up!

:lol:

You think thats bad. there were once four popes at the same time in the early 1400's and they opted to settle it with warfare, not discussion. This was called the War of Four Popes, or the Western Schism (1414-1418). With the papal usage of crusades for secular reasons after the disastrous 4th Crusade (1204 AD) as well and kings and emperors of late medieval Europe putting up anti-popes to achieve caesaropapist authority over the Vatican, and other things like the Battle of Grunwald, the Western Schism didn't help with people's trust in the Catholic Church, and with the burning of Jan Hus during the Western Schism (1415) and the Donations of Constantine having been proven falsified and a forgery in 1440 it all added further fuel to what would become the Protestant Reformation / Protestant Revolt.

Of course, everyone is susceptible to being utilized by greedy rulers. Folks like the Roman Emperor Theodosius I (named The Great by catholic leaders in later times), who had fully politicized the major Christian churches to retain divine authority in Roman politics began by Octavian and Caligula (the process of christian politicization began by Constantine the Great though not nearly to the same degree as Theodosius), frenzied up many Christians into being crazed zealots and though did not command them to do as such, they destroyed and burned down many pagan temples, notably the Temple of Zeus witht he giant statue of gold and ivory (he also shut down the Olympic Games rather than reform them to be secular to win favor of opportunistic politicized church leaders). Another example is in 1527 frenzied Germanic mercenaries who were Protestant for political reasons, as well as opportunistic Spaniards, were abandoned by their lords in Italy and they sacked Rome, the patriarch's loyal Swiss Guard all giving their life to give the pope enough time to escape, and not a single guardsman survived.

line.gif

The uselessness of the above info is in question, so in both relation and on topic, here's a useless bit of brain-filler:

The Swedish power metal band Sabaton has a song called The Last Stand (also the name of the album) which is about that renaissance sack of Rome from the perspective of the Swiss Guard. Its a great song, here is a link.

Ex Deo is a concept heavy metal band that sings about things pertaining to Ancient Rome (they haven't gone past the Third Century Crisis into Late Antiquity so I am guessing that they might be sticking to Classical Antiquity/the Pagan Period unless they later make songs about Constantine and Attila). Their latest album, The Immortal Wars, almost entirely is exclusively about the Second Punic War, the first song Rise of Hannibal referencing the First Punic War, and the second-to-last song Spoils of War referencing the third Punic War (Carthage's annihilation by Roman wrath). The last song is about Rome's superiority in western world affairs during their height (before the Migration Period and the Muslim Invasions), basically how its the biggest thing in town. :lol:

I like Ex Deo's album The Immortal Wars overall more than their previous albums Romulus and Caligvla. Not saying they don't have good songs, just stating my preference. Here is a song example.

And here is a random fact about myself. Though I find the Roman civilization very fascinating and helps explain a multitude of things in our modern world, I hate how they ended up politicizing everything for the aim of supreme power; I would hate to live under them, even under Republic times, and I am happy with where and when I live despite our problems. There are plenty of people that idolize them, and though the past should be observed and given proper respect, they are not worthy of blind praise. My fascination is akin to liking a fantasy series or sci-fi show.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I am personally not a fan of how armored they made Sauron. Peter Jackson himself said that Sauron's appearance in the movies was inspired by his old master and first Dark Lord, Melkor / Morgoth Bauglir. The armor is really cool looking and scary, but it's not for Sauron. I imagine a lightly armored shadowy warlock (necromancer :P ) with eyes of fire.

Well, Sauron was known for copying Melkor.

Speaking of Peter Jackson, one of his big rewrites to The Hobbit was keeping Azog alive several decades longer than in the book.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• It is possible to plant a pineapple by slicing the top off and burying the rest in the ground.

Chuck Norris once heard nothing could kill him, so he tracked down nothing and killed it.

The weight of all the ants on earth is equal to the weight of all the humans on earth.

If all the females in a group of clownfish die, a male will change its gender in order to to keep the group alive.