Silliest Thing About Bionicle

What do you think is just the dumbest thing in Bionicle in general?
I don't mean a particular quote or character, just a concept you think is way too outlandish, even for a story about robots who control fire, water etc.

For me, I think it's the concept of Kaitas. The Toa did it once and never thought to use that power again. Even worse was the fact that Matoran Kaitas existed - and only used that once too. I mean, good grief, there are so many opportunities to Kaita up and beat the bad guys that way, but they never think to do that.

I know it was to service a gimmick which encouraged buying all the sets, but dang it sticks out like a sore thumb in the grand scale of things. 

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 9

Umbra. I know you said no characters, but he's essentially an extra from Starlight Express, in a universe where wheels supposedly don't exist, and they put him in charge of guarding the Ignika.

I also think all the time travel/alternate universe plotlines are ridiculously convoluted. Come to think of it, the story serials in general are ridiculously convoluted.

EDIT: One more - the idea that the Red Star revives dead characters makes death completely pointless in the Bionicle universe.

Edited by Disty says hi
  • Upvote 8

I have to agree with all that has been said. But let me add: the lifespans. And how ridicolously weak the matoran are. They could at least have access to kanohi powers.

Matoran are still pretty strong, it's just that in a universe full of crazy strong beings they are weak by comparison. A human would be likely be crushed by Spherus Magna's gravity, and they stand just fine.

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I agree with almost everything said here. Especially with the Red Star and Toa/Matoran Kaitas.

One of mine would be that the conflict between Mazeka and Vultraz never got fully resolved. They never got to have their final showdown. Vultraz was just taken by some alternate dimension Makuta. That really didn't feel like a satisfying ending to their story. 

• Upvote 5

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

My List: 

1. Gender-locking Matoran tribes 

2. Toa never formed Kaita more than once. 

3. Toa Kaita Akamai Nuva never formed. 

4. Destroying Tahu's Nuva masks in Ta-Koro. 

5. Keeping Tahu in his Mata form after the 2010 events. He never turned into a Toa Nuva again. 

6. Lesovikk, Karzahni, Sarda, and Idris never got involved with the Toa Mahri or the Barraki in the 2007 story while their sets are sold. 

7. Mazeka and Vultraz never got involved with the Toa Nuva or the Makuta in the 2008 story while their sets are sold, neither they had a final battle with each other since Vultraz was taken away by good Makuta and never came back. 

8. Leaving Alternate Teridax stranded in the prime reality. 

9. Malum and Gelu being the only canister set characters who never appeared in The Legend Reborn while their sets are sold. 

10. The serials being discontinued. 

11. The parallel-universe-travelling idea is a bit unnecessary. 

12. Not continuing the G1 story in 2015 as we got G2 instead. 

13. G2's story is rushed. 

Sorry if I talked about the characters, I am trying to point out the silliest things about Bionicle.

• Upvote 4

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I... honestly disagree with most of this but.

-Tahu being devolved

-The Skrall and some Skakdi siding with Makuta in JE

-Excessively long Lifespans (it's no problem biologically but it destroys any concept of relative age)

-The GSRs excessive size and what that means for SM

-The entire opening scene of TLR (Just one big cannon deep moment)

To many plot threads in the otherwise great serials, went nowhere and only served to keep characters out of the main story.

Now, I'm going to put my baseplate on the line and try to defend the some of these.

-Gender locked tribes. My understanding is that this was proposed early on as a way to ensure that there would always be a female presence. No, this doesn't make the idea any less stupid but it was made with good intentions. And looking at Ignition and BM, Lego may have needed the structure. Between 06-08 Gorast and Gavla were the only female non Ga- sets. In 09 we only got Kiina.

One thing I think is important to remember though, is that this rule has only ever applied to the Matoran. Lego did not make the same mistake with other species and not retconning the established rule with Matoran shows a commitment to the story.

-'Love isn't Canon'. Or more accurately 'the biomechanical denizens of the Matoran Universe have no formal concept or social structure which allows for the development of romantic relationships'. I think that makes senses. It doesn't mean they can't feel deep affection towards one another. In fact, if I recall Greg said on the LMB that, having been exposed to the concept on SM, such relationships could be possible.

Greg also explained long ago that 'technically' Love (romance) was never cannon. Although that aspect of the lore may have not been set in stone, Templar and. Miramax were prone to artistic licence. Yes this may feel like a cheat but consider this; Mata Nui is an isolated place where the Matoran are developing a new culture centred less around work and mor around individuals. Matoran can feel but just don't know what to do with those feeling (biologically not much). Huki and Maku start hanging out more, they feel 'attracted' to one another, they become more than just friends, not sure what just 'more'. Other Matoran start to notice and start to consider their own relationships with especially close 'friends'. Huki and Maku have sparked a romantic renaissance. It's beautiful. 'Love isn't Canon' it the most romantic thing I've ever read...

• Upvote 7

I'mma jump on the Red Star train.  I hate that.  If I could write one element out of canon altogether it would be this.  Say what you want about Dragon Ball and the "wishing their dead friends back to life" schtick but at least they actually have to work for it by finding the Dragon Balls.  (As of the later movies it takes a 2-minute montage to find them but hey, at least it's 2 minutes of them working for it.)

Not the most off thing in Bionicle, but worth a mention: Kopaka Mata's shield.

It has a bunch of big holes in it.  That defeats the whole purpose of a shield.

While quite a few shields in Bionicle prefer looking cool over practicality, Kopaka's shield is just an oddity.  Seriously, did no one look at it and think "Hmm, wouldn't those gaps render having a shield pointless?"

• Upvote 3

The Red Star's resurrection capabilities, alternate universes galore, the complete squandering of the potential of the story for The Legend Reborn and Spherus Magna lore. Oh, and the multitudes of MU elements.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Click winking at the camera in Metus' Revenge.

Just that part? Not, like, the whole thing?

The wink was the kiss of death.
  • Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• Piraka Rap..that was a mouthful and its still stuck in my head like a music earworm.

• The Tree-Speak/Chute Speak use by wind element related characters.

• Tahu Devolved, Takanuva should've been given armor because he coudn't have been downgraded and he is more appropriate since light counters shadow and it makes sense if his destiny was to make the rahkshi extinct for good.

• G2 Toa mask are treated like elemental batteries. In comparison G1 Toa had the masks as unique powers while the elemental abilities is just separate from masks.
  • Upvote 4

qs3135.jpg

I'm just going to hop on the bandwagon and say gender-locking element tribes.

Also the comparatively tiny population of the MU.

Also many of Greg's recent answers in the Ask Greg topic. Especially his recent answers on the Kanohi Kakama.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

• 2 weeks later...

When Pohatu gets buried by falling rocks in Tales of the Masks, Kopaka spends some time searching for him, then assumes he must be dead, gives up and walks off to tell his village. 

Wow, Kopaka, it must have been tough looking for Pohatu under all those rocks, even for a cold, logical genius like you. Such a pity you didn't have something that could help you look for him. Some sort of device that could help you see through solid matter, perhaps? Wouldn't that be neat? You could attach it to your face or something and wear it all the time! Pity you don't have anything like that... no... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

• 3 weeks later...

Pies, and who ate them.

I don't know what this means, but I wish I did.

Mata Nui Online Game reference, specifically a Po-Koronan Koli spectator who is upset that there are no more pies left.
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Pies, and who ate them.

I don't know what this means, but I wish I did.

Mata Nui Online Game reference, specifically a Po-Koronan Koli spectator who is upset that there are no more pies left.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7863sQWxf-xUm1oYjg4WFBkQzQ

No, I did not tinker with my copy of MNOG in any way, shape, or form

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Not the most off thing in Bionicle, but worth a mention: Kopaka Mata's shield.

It has a bunch of big holes in it. That defeats the whole purpose of a shield.

While quite a few shields in Bionicle prefer looking cool over practicality, Kopaka's shield is just an oddity. Seriously, did no one look at it and think "Hmm, wouldn't those gaps render having a shield pointless?"

Perhaps it was simply meant to block or parry a slashing or crushing attack, and that stabbing attacks must absolutely be dodged
  • Upvote 3

Add "Great Beings are actually Glatorian" to the list. That's bleedin' bonkers. 

Actually, everything that happened to G1 after '08 concluded. None of that was necessary, and the story about the now woefully underpowered and under-equipped Toa trying to mount a resistance against Teridax in the GSR was infinitely more interesting. 

So yeah, the silliest "thing" about Bionicle was all of G1 post '08.

Also, you people are no fun. "Who ate all the pies" is one of the best things about Bionicle.

:kakama:

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Here's another thing: the fact that all the events from 2001-2010 (2004-2005 excluded) has happened in one year. Okay, we do not know how long a Bionicle year is; ok, maybe matoran and other creatures don't undergo the same psychological stress that we do...but really? All the great stuff happens in one year? Metru Nui is rebuilt in less than a year? There are 100.000+ years of virtually nothing worth mentioning?

Edited by Millennium
  • Upvote 3

Here's another thing: the fact that all the events from 2001-2010 (2004-2005 excluded) has happened in one year. Okay, we do not know how long a Bionicle year is; ok, maybe matoran and other creatures don't undergo the same psychological stress that we do...but really? All the great stuff happens in one year? Metru Nui is rebuilt in less than a year? There are 100.000+ years of virtually nothing worth mentioning?

I second this. I always assumed that the Toa Mata's quest for all of their masks took several months and the books/other sources gave us the important snippets when they actually find said masks. I always thought there were interim periods between events, which would have buffed out the period from the Mata's arrival on Mata Nui to the activation of the Codrex to several years, especially with all the traveling and scavenger hunting that the story was full of.

:kakama:

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki: