Silliest Thing About Bionicle

When Pohatu gets buried by falling rocks

If only Pohatu could do something about those ROCKS...

Well in his defense, he didn't have elemental powers at the time, but Kopaka has no excuse.

Also from the Bohrok Kal arc, we have Tahu trying to stop rocks falling on his head with his fire powers. "Mask of Shielding? Why would I want to use that when I can just set things on fire?"

I guess it runs in the family.

Other silly things:

• The Hapka books mention the Toa putting new masks on top of their old ones, but completely fail to mention suvas at all. So it sounds as though the Toa are walking around with stacks of six masks on their faces at any given time.
  • The characters pulling objects out of nowhere from behind their backs in the movies (Vakama retrieving Lhikan's mask for Jaller looks particularly unfortunate)
  • Roodaka's entire design, and the silly snake noises that play every time she speaks in WoS (headcanon there was a visorak with maracas taped to its pincers following her around just outside the shot).
  • Hapka's version of Kopaka is tsundere for everyone.
  • Takanuva borrowed the Toa Nuva's weapons and scavenged Rahkshi and Bohrok parts to build a vehicle to help him fly down a deep, dark tunnel to Makuta's lair. Except the hole wasn't that deep, because it took Hahli roughly five minutes to climb out, give an inspiring speech and then get back down with everyone else including six senior citizens and a giant crab. 
  • Takanuva took 30 seconds to crash said vehicle.
  • Vezon and Brutaka quoting Jaws, implying Brutaka abuses the Olmak's power to sneak into our world and watch movies.
  • Takanuva's friendship powers never being used in the story. 
  • Vhisola's room is an actual Nokama shrine. Geez Vhisola, at least Macku only limited herself to a Hewkii plushie and a poster. 
  • Lewa controlling vines in Mask of Light. What are you, the Master of Jungle?
  • Gali had a blog, and would hold up the Toa's quests and just sit there blogging on her tablet, which was an actual stone tablet.
  • Malum canonically giving out stickers of himself.

I love this franchise so much.

• Upvote 11

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Well in his defense, he didn't have elemental powers at the time, but Kopaka has no excuse.

Also from the Bohrok Kal arc, we have Tahu trying to stop rocks falling on his head with his fire powers. "Mask of Shielding? Why would I want to use that when I can just set things on fire?"

I guess it runs in the family.

Other silly things:

• The Hapka books mention the Toa putting new masks on top of their old ones, but completely fail to mention suvas at all. So it sounds as though the Toa are walking around with stacks of six masks on their faces at any given time.
  • The characters pulling objects out of nowhere from behind their backs in the movies (Vakama retrieving Lhikan's mask for Jaller looks particularly unfortunate)
  • Roodaka's entire design, and the silly snake noises that play every time she speaks in WoS (headcanon there was a visorak with maracas taped to its pincers following her around just outside the shot).
  • Hapka's version of Kopaka is tsundere for everyone.
  • Takanuva borrowed the Toa Nuva's weapons and scavenged Rahkshi and Bohrok parts to build a vehicle to help him fly down a deep, dark tunnel to Makuta's lair. Except the hole wasn't that deep, because it took Hahli roughly five minutes to climb out, give an inspiring speech and then get back down with everyone else including six senior citizens and a giant crab. 
  • Takanuva took 30 seconds to crash said vehicle.
  • Vezon and Brutaka quoting Jaws, implying Brutaka abuses the Olmak's power to sneak into our world and watch movies.
  • Takanuva's friendship powers never being used in the story. 
  • Vhisola's room is an actual Nokama shrine. Geez Vhisola, at least Macku only limited herself to a Hewkii plushie and a poster. 
  • Lewa controlling vines in Mask of Light. What are you, the Master of Jungle?
  • Gali had a blog, and would hold up the Toa's quests and just sit there blogging on her tablet, which was an actual stone tablet.
  • Malum canonically giving out stickers of himself.

I love this franchise so much.

While I agree with all others, the whole thing with the Toa Mata stacking masks in Hapka's books isn't actually correct, yet it comes up often. Whenver the Toa found a new mask, they placed it upon their original and it "melted" into it, or was "absorbed" or however you want to put it. In fact, MNOG lined up with Hapka's version of the canon in the sense that in its resting position, their mask would be the original shape (Kakama for Pohatu, Akaku for Kopaka etc) regardless of how many mask they found, and would change shape when the power of another is used. If Kopaka had found his Kakama, then he wouldn't walk around with a Kakama physically stacked on his Akaku, rather he'd walk around with an Akaku, and whenever he'd use the Kakama's power, his mask would temporarily take on the shape of a Kakama. The Suva would only be needed once they have all six, and they would place the masks on it which would spit out a golden one that combines the six powers into a single mask while amplifying it too.

As funny as it would be for Toa to walk around with stacks of six masks on their faces, this was never actually implied in any of the media.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I also think that gender locking elements was pretty irrational, to say the least. Adding to that is of course the Piraka rap and how much we love it(!) But my personal gripe with all ofbionicle is the technological inconsistencies in the world. The inhabitants are both tribal and advanced at the same time and it really doesn't make sense to me. I just don't get how you can have subsonic aircraft and not have automated turrets to protect your villages.

Also many of Greg's recent answers in the Ask Greg topic. Especially his recent answers on the Kanohi Kakama.

What did he say about the Kakama?

• Upvote 1

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

Also many of Greg's recent answers in the Ask Greg topic. Especially his recent answers on the Kanohi Kakama.

Also curious about this >.>

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

But my personal gripe with all ofbionicle is the technological inconsistencies in the world. The inhabitants are both tribal and advanced at the same time and it really doesn't make sense to me. I just don't get how you can have subsonic aircraft and not have automated turrets to protect your villages.

This. It's so bizarre how, in a world full of amazingly advanced biomechanical lifeforms, there are no wheels and only one piece of paper.
  • Upvote 4

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

G1: The expanded universe overuse of characters like Tuyet and underuse of characters like the other Mangai or Toa Cordak, and the fact that Greg kept undoing developments like wiping out the Visorak only to have Teridax bring them back within five minutes of taking over the Mata Nui robot.

G2: Inconsistency.

• Upvote 3

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

(Pohatu, dramatic voice): No! Rocks! My only weakness!

• Upvote 2

Whatever mountain you are climbing, you can do this.

BZPRPG character masterpost

20220406_234727.jpg

"Just promise me something... don't let me go."

>Be LEGO

>Bring back Bionicle G2

>Ignore all the story, worldbuilding, marketing, and licensed items that made G1 successful

>Cancel G2 because of poor sales

• Upvote 7

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

>Be LEGO

>Bring back Bionicle G2

>Ignore all the story, worldbuilding, marketing, and licensed items that made G1 successful

Do you honestly think G1's insanely convoluted and complex worldbuilding made it successful? Marketing I agree with, but I'm pretty sure G1 began to decline around the time the story and lore got out of hand. The vast majority of the target audience - meaning not you, not me, not anyone on BZP and not anyone over the age of 13 - don't give a crooked whistle about the story or worldbuilding. Sure, when I was young and liked G1 I personally cared about the story, but that put me in the minority.

For all the rage against G2's story and minimal lore, that had probably minimal impact on the poor sales.

The absolute lack of marketing, on the other hand...

• Upvote 6

>Be LEGO

>Bring back Bionicle G2

>Be me, Wazdakka

>Can't remember or fathom a time when Bionicle didn't have a multi-layered plot being thrown at kids

>ItMustHaveAlwaysBeenThisWay.jpeg

You have to earn a convoluted story; it doesn't work to start off with nineteen story serials.

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

He...didn't have his elemental powers at the time? This was during the Bohrok-Kal arc...

Hey wait. The Bohrok-Kal arc. That was pretty silly. Souped-up Bohrok, and the Nuva symbols having an importance that's never mentioned again. I'll take that as my suggestion.

• Upvote 2

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to pick a couple; 

1. How the heck do the Rahagah fly in WoS?!?! Aren't those supposed to be Rhotuka launchers or something?

2. It's been said before, and now I'll say it again: gender-locking of elements

3. All the underrepresented elements in the MU. I mean, for crying out loud, there were Toa of Gravity! How cool is that?!

4. Gonna echo this sentiment as well, too: Why do the Matoran act like children? I mean, really? They're tens of thousands of years old!

5. PIRAKA RAP! :-) 

6. The excessive use of K and X in some of those location names. OvO

• Upvote 1

The fans 

This, particularly after G2 was announced.

I also never liked the fact that "The Green" was canonized as official Matoran terminology regarding the element of plantlife. Why isn't Water "The Blue" or Fire "The Red?"

Finally:

How the Karzahni has no one mentioned "Mukau" yet?!

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You stay away from my baby Mukau.

lmaoooo wow I had never actually said 'Mukau' aloud until this very moment. And now I can't stop laughing

But aside from that, the whole nuva symbols thing seemed a little weird. As Toa Mata they had full control over their elements? But all of a sudden they're reliant on some random symbols??

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

lmaoooo wow I had never actually said 'Mukau' aloud until this very moment. And now I can't stop laughing

But aside from that, the whole nuva symbols thing seemed a little weird. As Toa Mata they had full control over their elements? But all of a sudden they're reliant on some random symbols??

The Nuva Symbols sort of made sense. The analogy Greg used was that the Toa had such a power increase as Nuva that they couldn't store it all in their bodies, and so the Symbols acted as batteries of sorts for them.

• Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

The impracticality of the zamor sphere powers story wise when actually using the sets.

Here's the scenario: The Piraka got the Antidermis virus in their spheres to enslave the matoran. Great.

The Toa show up with their electrified bodies and therefore are immune to the enslavement effects. So you can have the Piraka shoot the Toa all day long and nothing will happen. (oh and also Axonn is immune as well. He just is, not explained. Brutaka gets stronger by absorbing the virus so that could be cool but it gets old quick just juicing him up...)

Secondly, the Toa have Energized Protodermis in their spheres used to release the matoran from the virus. Great.

But when using them against actual enemies they have the potential to kill, which a Toa won't do.

So here we are, with six heroes and six villains with really cool shooters, and neither can actually shoot the other with them. All the spheres really do with determine whether the Matoran are enslaved or not.

At least they sold different colored spheres in the collectable sets, so you can have more variety. Either that or invent new powers for the traditional green and multicolored spheres of the Piraka/Inika.

• Upvote 4

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

The impracticality of the zamor sphere powers story wise when actually using the sets.

Here's the scenario: The Piraka got the Antidermis virus in their spheres to enslave the matoran. Great.

The Toa show up with their electrified bodies and therefore are immune to the enslavement effects. So you can have the Piraka shoot the Toa all day long and nothing will happen. (oh and also Axonn is immune as well. He just is, not explained. Brutaka gets stronger by absorbing the virus so that could be cool but it gets old quick just juicing him up...)

Secondly, the Toa have Energized Protodermis in their spheres used to release the matoran from the virus. Great.

But when using them against actual enemies they have the potential to kill, which a Toa won't do.

So here we are, with six heroes and six villains with really cool shooters, and neither can actually shoot the other with them. All the spheres really do with determine whether the Matoran are enslaved or not.

At least they sold different colored spheres in the collectable sets, so you can have more variety. Either that or invent new powers for the traditional green and multicolored spheres of the Piraka/Inika.

I think 2007 just might be a little bit more ridiculous. The good guys have basically rocket launchers, the bad guys have squids that literally suck the life out of you. What's the death toll of both of those weapons combined? ZERO.
  • Upvote 5

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

The Nuva Symbols sort of made sense. The analogy Greg used was that the Toa had such a power increase as Nuva that they couldn't store it all in their bodies, and so the Symbols acted as batteries of sorts for them.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. But I'd still think that they'd be able to revert to their Mata level of power after the Kal took them. 

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

I think 2007 just might be a little bit more ridiculous. The good guys have basically rocket launchers, the bad guys have squids that literally suck the life out of you. What's the death toll of both of those weapons combined? ZERO.

You may have a point there. Though in the story Kongu did almost die from a squid... but I digress.

I suppose you can argue the Tridax pods were the same problem (though those things were really cool in my opinion) at least the Toa got light blasters...

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Yeah, most of the launchers were purely for playability-99% of Kanoka firing was done by Vakama in-story.

• Upvote 2

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

You may have a point there. Though in the story Kongu did almost die from a squid... but I digress.

I suppose you can argue the Tridax pods were the same problem (though those things were really cool in my opinion) at least the Toa got light blasters...

Kongu almost died, though. I recall they were marketed as life-draining squids, not almost-life-draining squids.

The Tridax pods actually seemed to be the more successful weapons--they got Kirop, Gavla, and Takanuva, and that's just the named characters. Same with the Midak Skyblasters, we saw them go off quite a bit in the animations, especially with the vehicles.

Come to think of it, Thornax were used pretty much as advertised, too--fire them and they explode. I guess LEGO realized how bizarre the 06 and 07 weapons were and gave them better treatment later on.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Kongu almost died, though. I recall they were marketed as life-draining squids, not almost-life-draining squids.

The Tridax pods actually seemed to be the more successful weapons--they got Kirop, Gavla, and Takanuva, and that's just the named characters. Same with the Midak Skyblasters, we saw them go off quite a bit in the animations, especially with the vehicles.

Come to think of it, Thornax were used pretty much as advertised, too--fire them and they explode. I guess LEGO realized how bizarre the 06 and 07 weapons were and gave them better treatment later on.

I did appreciate that they kept Thornax use practical in TLR. Instead of literally every non-Agori character carrying around one of the things (and keep in mind, you'd need to find ammo for them, one at a time), their use was only in an official arena match between two top-ranked Glatorian. It made a lot more sense.

idk man

I did appreciate that they kept Thornax use practical in TLR. Instead of literally every non-Agori character carrying around one of the things (and keep in mind, you'd need to find ammo for them, one at a time), their use was only in an official arena match between two top-ranked Glatorian. It made a lot more sense.

Yeah, and they even had the attention to detail to have the Skopio's Thornax blasts be more destructive than Vastus and Tarix's, mirroring that explosive Thornax were frowned upon in formal arena fights. For all we rag on TLR, it did do its homework in some areas.

The more I think about it, maybe 06-07 was the only era that suffered from the "overpowered projectile weapons" thing:

*Kanoka actually had pretty cool powers (plus, they were designed to defend against Rahi and be crafted into masks, not kill)

*The Toa Hordika were not used to using Elemental Rhotuka (the Visorak's Rhotuka were way overpowered, though)

*Midak, Tridax, and Nynrah weapons were all used pretty often and consistently with their declared powers

*Thornax were also used consistently with their reputation

I guess it was just a two-year (two-and-a-half if you could the Visorak) hiccup on LEGO's part. Especially because that group of Keelerak could have killed all of the Toa Metru easily if they had their spinners set to "acid" and not just "paralyze."

• Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

The Red Star was meant to revive certain species and return them to the GSR so that the GSR would never run out of workers to keep it operating, even if the workers perished. It's existence makes perfect sense to me, in fact I've always viewed it as a necessary part of the GSR's functions. It's like the human body's ability to recover from a wound.

We just never see it functioning properly in the story. :P

Also curious about this >.>

I still haven't seen an answer on this.

First off: Gender locked elements, the Kaita, Squid launchers set wise, love is not canon, the idea of 'powerless' and 'noble' kanohi being useless, etc.

Now for something completely different!:

I was watching LoMN, and I jumped from my seat and screamed "HOLY GADUNKA!!!" because for some reason, the mask of NIGHT VISION magically uses x-ray vision? Since when was a Ruru an Akaku???  This means there is no reason for the Akaku to exist, since the Ruru is a 2 in 1 deal.

also the fact at no point in the canon does an olmak make a gate to another lego theme, like exo force, or city.

Edited by jupoawp
  • Upvote 1

I liked G2.  :o

Also known as:

Aguyinahat

Aleksyi

also i write some and do some art, bad at both though.

First off: Gender locked elements, the Kaita, Squid launchers set wise, love is not canon, the idea of 'powerless' and 'noble' kanohi being useless, etc.

I was watching LoMN, and I jumped from my seat and screamed "HOLY GADUNKA!!!" because for some reason, the mask of NIGHT VISION magically uses x-ray vision? Since when was a Ruru an Akaku??? This means there is no reason for the Akaku to exist, since the Ruru is a 2 in 1 deal.

also the fact at no point in the canon does an olmak make a gate to another lego theme, like exo force, or city

The existence of powerless and noble Kanohi are pretty silly to me as well. I'm glad somebody else pointed it out. Edited by Katanga

I was watching LoMN, and I jumped from my seat and screamed "HOLY GADUNKA!!!" because for some reason, the mask of NIGHT VISION magically uses x-ray vision? Since when was a Ruru an Akaku??? This means there is no reason for the Akaku to exist, since the Ruru is a 2 in 1 deal.

also the fact at no point in the canon does an olmak make a gate to another lego theme, like exo force, or city

I think the Ruru thing actually kind of makes sense. IIRC, the Great Ruru allows limited X-Ray vision.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I was watching LoMN, and I jumped from my seat and screamed "HOLY GADUNKA!!!" because for some reason, the mask of NIGHT VISION magically uses x-ray vision? Since when was a Ruru an Akaku???  This means there is no reason for the Akaku to exist, since the Ruru is a 2 in 1 deal.

also the fact at no point in the canon does an olmak make a gate to another lego theme, like exo force, or city.

There are other redundant masks in the lore though, such as the Huna and Volitak, plus the Garai since gravity is also an element.

Which, admittedly, are also pretty silly on their own.

I'm curious, is the Bohrok's "transform into a ball" function ever actually used in the canon for something other than compact storage in the hives? Because if not, that too seems a tad silly. I guess it's a cool function that rather serves the toy part of Bionicle and not the story, but still, greater significance could have been added. I'm pretty sure the comics always depict the bohrok as walking. The ball-form would have been cool as a transport mode for travelling long distances, but this only appeared in Bionicle: The Game, which is absolutely not canon.

I'm curious, is the Bohrok's "transform into a ball" function ever actually used in the canon for something other than compact storage in the hives?

I think they used it in the flash animations for the krana vu.

wait were the animations canon?

I liked G2.  :o

Also known as:

Aguyinahat

Aleksyi

also i write some and do some art, bad at both though.

I'm curious, is the Bohrok's "transform into a ball" function ever actually used in the canon for something other than compact storage in the hives?

I think they used it in the flash animations for the krana vu.

wait were the animations canon?

Yeah, the Bohrok were seen in ball form in the Online Animations, all of their Promo Animations, and Lehvak-Kal's Promo Animations. I think it was featured enough.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg