How do I remove the white stress marks from soft plastic?

keiththelegokid

So I've been looking over some of my parts and have found bend marks. A quick look through the internet has suggested a heat gun...I'm pretty sure that is for a totally different type of plastic though...

So I thought I would ask here, and see if there is a solution that doesn't involve mass amount of heat :P

Thanks,

Keiththelegokid

• Upvote 1
Want to join a Bionicle RP with seasoned RPers, vast amounts of topics to post in, and a Wikia to make it easy to get involved?

Come on over to Gen1RP.  :smilenuju:

I'd very much like to know, myself. Recently picked up some parts from an old Malum set at my work, and to my disappointment, the claws were a little bent and stressed. If there is a safe way to hide the damage, it'd be really useful to know.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I'd very much like to know, myself. Recently picked up some parts from an old Malum set at my work, and to my disappointment, the claws were a little bent and stressed. If there is a safe way to hide the damage, it'd be really useful to know.

Ironically, those claws are some of the parts that I'd like fixed as well :P

Want to join a Bionicle RP with seasoned RPers, vast amounts of topics to post in, and a Wikia to make it easy to get involved?

Come on over to Gen1RP.  :smilenuju:

• 3 weeks later...

Heat is the only way to fix it. Ironically, a heat gun will probably give you the most consistent results. They produce a constant stream of heat at the same temperature when they are heated up fully. If you do use a heat gun, just hold it further away from the part so it doesn't get a ton of heat. Keep on reheating it and letting it cool until the mark disappears or minimizes to it's smallest state. Boiling water might help you get some light stress marks out, but that method works best on reforming softer parts. The most dangerous, but the easiest solution is using a lighter. With that, don't hold the part directly to the flame. Hold it above where there is still a decent amount of heat. Only hold it for a second or two, then let it cool, and repeat. If you hold it too close or too long, the plastic will melt and/or deform.

Just a note, LEGO plastic is really hard to get stress marks out. I have tried it several times with varying success. Usually you can get a small amount of the discoloration out and reform it by gently pushing it back into it's original position.

Those are the methods that I have tried, but I also have very little experience with this. Be VERY careful when attempting it. If it looks like it's getting shiny or the texture changes, it's melting. Good luck.

• Upvote 1