Should the Toa Mata be the Main Heroes of a future Bionicle Reboot?

Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Mata in Gen 3 Bionicle  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw this question pop up in the 'Should Stone get the Boot' topic and thought that it could use its own topic to see what veryone thinks about it. That question is simple: Do you think the Toa Mata should be the main heroes of a future Bionicle reboot?

I personally don't care either way. As long as it has a good story and gives development to its characters, I would be alright with either the Mata returning or new characters being the main heroes.

What do all of you say about this?

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Absolutely. There is a reason why, even though it's been around a lot longer, Transformers still has more or less the same main cast. There is a reason why the same characters, even if not in central roles, appeared in Star Wars both in 1977 and in 2015. G1 gave many other heroes a chance to shine, which was great, and I would have loved to see G2's Toa eventually step aside for new heroes, but they still would be around. You can have new characters, you can have new heroes, there is no reason to hinder creativity...

But

Pohatu, Gali, Lewa, Kopaka, Tahu and Onua are so firmly entrenched as the main heroes of Bionicle, so central to what makes Bionicle, well, Bionicle, that is really wouldn't feel right if they weren't around. Even if G3 kicked off with them in the "wise elder" role, I'd still be happy, but they need to be around. I'm not going to say 'it's not the same without them', because I imagine the goal of a reboot isn't to be the same. However, I will say that it wouldn't feel right without them. 

I mean, G2 already changed an element. If G3 ends up changing another, and canning the original heroes we grew up with, it would be too big of a break. I mean, I'd still follow it and buy the sets, because Bionicle, but it wouldn't be right. 

I really think G3 would suffer if it didn't bring back the Mata as the main heroes, but keeping them around as secondary or support characters would be enough too. Just don't do away with them entirely. I want my G3 Pohatu.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

For other franchises yes you would need the original characters such as transformers does.

However Bionicle has three sets of main characters

The Toa Mata

The Toa Metru

The Toa Inika

If Bionicle G3 were to be based off of "new" characters. I think a remake of the Toa Metru would work best.

Make it the far future of Okoto technology based setting but still keeps the traditions of tribal culture.

I vote other.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I would go with the Toa Mata because they are the first main protagonists and they always should be in every generation because they are the reason Bionicle is Bionicle.

I would like the Toa Metru and Toa Inika to be the main protagonists of G3, too, if Lego decides to not use the Toa Mata.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I think, it depends.

If G3 were to happen within the next say, five or so years, I would rather see them do something different.  Shake up the formula.  Maybe give us a smaller main team.  If Lego wants to persist with $20-$30+ main sets, I believe they would benefit from a smaller main (Canister equivalent) collection.  It would be easier for fans to collect and leave more room in the budget for proper titans.

Lore wise, We just had the Okotan Toa.  Remixing the same story and characters, no mater how well executed would get monotonous if done too frequently.  I don't believe G3 even has to be a reboot, It just needs to be sufficiently distant from the existing narratives that new fans can jump in without knowing any backstory.

On the other hand, I feel like the Mata are an important starting point for the Bionicle legend, If enough time passes before a potential G3 arrives, then I would want to see namesakes of the Mata herald its return.  But only then.

• Upvote 1

As was already mentioned, franchises like Transformers do well because they retain a basic formula of core characters across their different iterations (even if the character in question is a legacy name like Optimus Primal). It gives the story a familiar face to carry through the ages, and fans of all generations can relate to their favorite characters interchangeably.

However, on the other hand, Transformers has often switched up it's basic teams to include new characters, or replace core characters (Optimus Prime) with young, new faces, like Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime and Ultra Magnus, and Bionicle G1 itself did this with formerly-background-characters such as Jaller and Hewkii, giving them a stronger role in the story. 

So, with that in mind, I think having some familiar faces, in any form, would greatly benefit a future reboot, but it does not HAVE to be the Mata. We could see a story where an island paradise needs new heroes, and a group of six villagers named Jaller/Vakama, Hahli/Nokama, Kongu/Matau, and so forth, answer the call and gain powers beyond their wildest dreams, granted by the legacy of six heroes from a long-forgotten age.

Short answer: No, the Mata do not need to be the main heroes; yes, they should exist in some form (legends, myths), and someone from one of the first two runs should carry over in their place.

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

While I definitely love some of Bionicle G1's other heroes like the Toa Metru and the Toa Inika, they aren't anywhere near as iconic as the Toa Mata. I don't know that new versions of these less iconic teams could be expected to carry the weight of a new continuity without at least having some versions of the original Toa as supporting characters. But realistically I'd expect a new continuity that included those characters to have it the other way around, like G1 did, with the original Toa as its primary characters and these other teams as supporting characters who might one day step into the spotlight.

Jaller and his team do have a slight advantage over Vakama and his team due to their original Matoran masks being the same classic masks worn by the original Toa. The Hau in particular is a profoundly iconic part of Bionicle, used as symbolism even in years that it did not otherwise appear in the sets and story. Giving re-imagined Toa Inika new masks inspired by those ones would establish a clear connecting line back to the theme's roots. But I'm not convinced they'd be the right heroes to start a new generation off with.

Totally new heroes would not be an outrageous prospect, but having them inspired by the theme's original heroes is such an easy and effective way to signal a respect for the theme's roots that it's hard to come up with any compelling reason not to.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to see a new set of characters. I love the Mata to death for nostalgic reasons, but they're also very broad personality-wise. I think you could create something special with a new set of characters if you really try. Make them inspired by the Mata, but they just have to feel Bionicle yet tread new ground.

• Upvote 1

I am of the mindset that if Bionicle where gonna have another reboot then we should still use the Toa that are

Tahu, Onua, Pohatu, Lewa, Kopaka and Gali

as like many other franchises do because it is much safer.......I mean imagine if we actually get a Bionicle reboot again but this time we removed stone and replace it with lightning

​and there names are very different to lets say the Toa Mata's names .

Do you IMAGINE all of the complaining of the fans if they actually get rid of the iconic names in a newer reboot.

What I'm trying to say is that Bionicle always has been of Tahu, Onua, Pohatu, Lewa, Kopaka and Gali ​ and of there quest to awake the great spirit/ and of course there were the Toa like the Toa Metru, Inika and Mahri but they never did the main goal

In the end I believe that If there is another reboot of Bionicle then it should have:

another name or Bionicle and something else in the name like what they do with Power Rangers.

But if it has another name it has to make it clear that its inspired of Bionicle.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

I don't think they should bring back the old cast- at least, not as the main heroes- they should use the next revamp to start fresh, and not be tied down to the old story.

Sure, the Mata may have some nostalgia to them... but nostalgia for who? Certainly not for the target audience. 8-14 year olds will be too young to know the original Toa by name (if at all). Bionicle never really got the pop culture recognition it could have, like Transformers now does, or Star Wars does- casual and even non-fans of bigger series know Optimus and Vader by name, even if they've never seen a single movie or show. But with Bionicle, most casual fans only knew Tahu as "the red one".

While I think that, sure, the Toa Mata could cameo as Turaga, or maybe be some sort of legendary hero (or even as a titan set), the new heroes should reflect a new start, and the next revamp (if it ever happens) shouldn't feel bound to the same story- stories are the best, in my opinion, when they are free...

I don't think they should bring back the old cast- at least, not as the main heroes- they should use the next revamp to start fresh, and not be tied down to the old story.

Sure, the Mata may have some nostalgia to them... but nostalgia for who? Certainly not for the target audience. 8-14 year olds will be too young to know the original Toa by name (if at all). Bionicle never really got the pop culture recognition it could have, like Transformers now does, or Star Wars does- casual and even non-fans of bigger series know Optimus and Vader by name, even if they've never seen a single movie or show. But with Bionicle, most casual fans only knew Tahu as "the red one".

While I think that, sure, the Toa Mata could cameo as Turaga, or maybe be some sort of legendary hero (or even as a titan set), the new heroes should reflect a new start, and the next revamp (if it ever happens) shouldn't feel bound to the same story- stories are the best, in my opinion, when they are free...

While I get what you're saying, would it even matter if this is the case? If the non-fans or new fans don't recognize the names Tahu or Pohatu or the others, then they'd equally not recognize new names - because how could they. Hence, whether the cast is new or a return of the Mata doesn't matter to them in the slightest.

Old-fans, however, are more likely to be on board with the new reboot if the Mata return, which would make using them as characters logical. I also suggested in my post that they needn't be the main heroes, but they should definitely be around. I'd actually thoroughly enjoy a G3 storyline with entirely new Toa, and with the Mata as Turaga/elders. 

It would be fun if they would allude to their past adventures, however whenever pressed to go into more detail, they'd always dodge the question. G3 could establish something of a meta-continuity, where all three iterations of Bionicle are unconnected and separate universes, however the Mata are the same, being yanked from dimension to dimension. Think of them as a "constant" in the infinite multiverse. 

It would be a great excuse to pepper the new storyline with easter eggs, while also giving them an air of mystery. 

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

@Pohaturon

I think, like a few others have expressed, that they should do a continuation of G1 for the next revamp. That would place the Mata as a supporting cast, still "there" as the same characters long time fans know and love, but give room to explore some more- bring in a new cast, so both newcomers and old alike can, by proxy through the new "Toa", explore this new world.

@Pohaturon

I think, like a few others have expressed, that they should do a continuation of G1 for the next revamp. That would place the Mata as a supporting cast, still "there" as the same characters long time fans know and love, but give room to explore some more- bring in a new cast, so both newcomers and old alike can, by proxy through the new "Toa", explore this new world.

Wait, part of your argument is to make G3 more accessible to new fans... but you want it to be a continuation of G1?

Those are exactly the opposite of one another...

I like G1 as much as the next guy, moreso than G2 even, but going back to it would be a mistake this long after it ended, especially considering how rushed and messy the ending was. The only clean way to continue G1 is to retcon '08,'09 and '10 out of existence, re-do the entire Karda Nui arc and do something entirely different from then on out. That, however, will never happen. G3 should either be a new thing entirely, or a continuation of G2 if anything.

@Pohaturon

Wait, part of your argument is to make G3 more accessible to new fans... but you want it to be a continuation of G1?

Those are exactly the opposite of one another...

I like G1 as much as the next guy, moreso than G2 even, but going back to it would be a mistake this long after it ended, especially considering how rushed and messy the ending was. The only clean way to continue G1 is to retcon '08,'09 and '10 out of existence, re-do the entire Karda Nui arc and do something entirely different from then on out. That, however, will never happen. G3 should either be a new thing entirely, or a continuation of G2 if anything.

Not necessarily- "requels" can still be a continuation, and a whole new story. Star Trek: The Next Generation, for example, was still set in the same universe where Captain Kirk once piloted the enterprise, but moved forward in such a way that you didn't have to be familiar with the old series. While being simultaneously a sequel and a reboot, it stood on its own. I believe a G1 continuation could be very much the same- there would of course be old references, but not in a way that would make them confusing to newcomers- good stories, after all, move forward and not backwards.

Personally I like to see a flip flop of the G1 concept that the elders were former Toa.

Maybe have the Toa Mata/Okoto become elders in a more advanced Okoto where they teach the G3 Toa Metru to become Toa.

I want to see Okoto become a mega city like Metru Nui was.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I think it depends on the nature of the reboot - if it's another 'six heroes arrive to save a beleaguered island' then it makes sense to reuse the original cast, though it might help to vary them a little in one way or another just to keep things a little fresh. If it's a different story premise, I'd be more interested in getting genuinely new characters. Yes, I do like the classic ones, but not to the point where they need to be in every story.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1