More articulate classic Bionicle sets (2001-2003)

joev14

When you look back on the years of Bionicle (both generation 1 and 2), Both series had wonderful set designs and concepts, but there is absolutely no denying that the newer models had better articulation. In our final year, 2016, we got to see something that was previously exclusive only to the largest of Titan sets: waist articulation. Looking back even further to the classic/golden years of Bionicle (2001-2003), we had even less articulation! Necks and knees were introduced in the very last wave of canister sets in 2003, and we didn't get to see the standardization of elbows until 2004 and onward. 

tahu_keyv.jpg

I've seen dozens of people pouring their hearts and souls into 3D printing masks (specifically the 2016 Mask of Ultimate Power), but I've been shocked to see that nobody has thought to try some other things with 3D printing at their disposal.

The classic Bionicle sets are some of the most beloved sets in all our hearts, I have no doubt, namely the 2001 Toa sets. But these very first sets were limited to mere ankle, hip, and shoulder movement, only some of them even had wrists! 

32482.png

Ah. The classic Bionicle arm/leg piece. Something I'm sure many of you recognize. Maybe you even get a little bit of a nostalgic tingle in you when you see it. But despite this, it hasn't aged well in comparison to some of the more advanced CCBS limb articulation designs, has it? Looking at this piece's design, you can see the greebling to make it appear as though it can be articulated in the center, with pistons and an opening in the middle as though it was meant to bend. In fact, as you can see in the first picture of Tahu above, much of the box art and promotional design showed sets with these pieces bent in these exact ways! What if it could bend though? Surely with the technology of 3D printing at our disposal, it's possible?

This piece is only the first I would love to see modernized. Is it possible? A few ideas jump to mind, namely taking the piece and separating it in the middle, and placing something like one of these on each half, allowing them to connect and bend.

mrck9wll8hhl3hqphyeaprg.jpg 4219256.jpg

I believe the standard leg/arm would be the simplest to design, but there are plenty of other classic parts that would do marvelously with additional articulation, such as these

x240.png 32173.png

The biggest challenge, however, would be in finally bringing the 2001 sets up to date with the 2016 ones entirely, by giving them waist articulation in this piece.

32489.png

Have you ever wondered if this was possible? Do any ideas that I haven't mentioned jump to mind? Please post and help me make this idea a reality!

I can't remember the exact link, but I know on shapeways I've seen someone make articulated Nuva limbs, that look pretty identical to the actual set, but with knee articulation. Of course this is only nuva limbs, but if they were able to do it with nuva limbs, what's to say it's impossible for the other limbs?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Someone has actually gone and made a couple parts like this already! Go check them out.

This is precisely what I was thinking, only in a cleaner 3d printed look. This is certainly the idea I had in mind though! Is anyone here capable of (and willing to) 3d print the separate parts and assembe them?

Edited by joev14