How do you justify still playing with toys?

Katmitsu

Everyone can have a thing or hobby that transcends age...lots of adults play DnD, or build models, or play videogames...I don't think Bionicle is any different.

• Upvote 7

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt others. "Playing" with toys doesn't seem to be harmful in any way. I'm also under the impression that the people on this site aren't playing with their toys anymore. Building, collecting, and discussing Lego sets and things related to them is not the same thing as playing with them.

May I ask how long you were here before opening this topic? Lurking before membership counts. 

• Upvote 4

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Last I checked, there wasn't an Adulting Rulebook that says we have to stop loving something just because we're a certain age. Think of it this way: Regardless of our age, ever since Bionicle was conceived, there were adults building and designing the sets that would be shipped out to the world. Those adults were probably in their thirties, maybe forties, and I don't see you complaining about them "still playing with toys."

To answer the question, Bionicle was a huge part of my childhood. It was a remarkable story made even cooler by the fact that I could build the characters in my very own bedroom and recreate my favorite scenes from the books. And now that I'm older and have had far more experience with the parts, I, like many others, build awesome MOCs that I take to conventions to show off, and in the process, network with other builders from all over. It's a massive hobby that many people have loved since their childhood. Collectors, MOCists, hobbyists, whatever you want to call us. We loved it then, we love it now, and we're not gonna stop anytime soon.

And I'm 23, thank you very much. Thirties, ha. 

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I don't actually play with my Bionicle sets, but that's only cause I don't have enough time for it, or company who would also enjoy it. If I had those two, I wouldn't even hesitate to resume playing with them though. :P

I mostly stick around with the Bionicle story though, rather than the toys. There's just something remarkable about it that keeps you hooked.

Oh, and I'm 24.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva
  • Upvote 2

tumblr_n4usfkpyeb1qlpa51o3_500.gif

tumblr_n4usfkpyeb1qlpa51o7_500.gif

tumblr_n4usfkpyeb1qlpa51o8_500.gif

Turned 21 last week and I can't picture myself ever not having my collection. It's LEGO's fault for making their toys too well. If they were cheap hunks of plastic like the other dumb stuff I played with as a kid, I'd have gotten rid of them, too. But LEGO put in the time and effort to make a quality product that retains its appeal to its target demographic as they age. It's a trend you'll notice elsewhere, with people my age and older just as excited as children are to see Toy Story 3 and Finding Dory.

• Upvote 10

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Everything's pretty much been said. I must say I find it kind of funny the question is even asked-there's plenty of things people are into that are a lot more off the wall than still liking Lego in their 20s or 30s.

• Upvote 4

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Building with BIONICLE keeps my fingers from freezing up as I age.

Plus, it's a nice distraction from the harsh reality of life.

• Upvote 3

My family never really laughed at me, i mostly keep them in my room and even if i ever took any with me i just fiddle with them,not silly loud playing. and i have a private apartment where i can act out whatever i want when i want if i want to bit i mostly display them for personal viewing or using play features once in a while.

• Upvote 2

qs3135.jpg

Because adulthood means that I have the privilege of doing whatever I want to do with my time and money, regardless of naysayers or skeptics. At worst, play is a harmless leisure activity; at best, it actively provides psychological and social benefits to kids and adults alike.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Legos are an escape from reality and allow you to decompress from the stresses of life.

Whenever I feel overwhelmed I build something.

I always draw out ideas for new MOCs and see things that I try to capture in Lego.

Legos allow my mind to be free.

Edited by ToaTimeLord II
  • Upvote 2

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Well, on 2015, when I was 20, I got the Bionicle 2015 sets.

On 2016, when I was 21, I got the 2016 sets.

My mom is fine with that.

I agree with everybody above. It's okay to buy and play Lego sets when you are older than what the sets suggests. There's no stopping you. Plus, it's my hobby nowadays, and I want to remember my childhood, which is Bionicle.:)

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

This thread is getting way too much attention for someone who went out of their way to make an account just to taunt a community of adult BIONICLE fans.

Thank you for say what we're all thinking. Edited by ToaTimeLord II
  • Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Z7HeRxU.png

There ya go.

This thread is getting way too much attention for someone who went out of their way to make an account just to taunt a community of adult BIONICLE fans.

This is basically what I was trying to imply with my question to them. 

• Upvote 3

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Whenever someone brings this up in a conversation, I simply tell them, "I'm a collector".

I guess it's a less embarrassing way of saying, "I still play with toys."

I say this all of the time. Though to be fair, I really do collect them at this point. I never actually mess with my sets unless I'm changing their pose or photographing them. :P

• Upvote 1

Yes. I play with toys. There is no shame in it, it's the most innocent fun one can have. I love to make MOCs and play with my figures as much as any old joe BIONICLE fan. It's a fantastic passtime and really is rejuvenating, especially since I grew up as an only child, and it brings back so many great memories, sad memories too, but it truly shows that I at least am still my same old self, even after all the horrible stuff and truly horrible emotional difficulties I have had, I am still a kid at heart.

God... I remember a point in my life when the only thing that made me feel good was to cry due to my deep depression, and play with LEGO. Now that those days are over I can still find solace in those engenious interlocking plastic ball sockets/ball joints and the occational brick. As well as pins and axles of course.

• Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Same reason I play video games, same reason I watch movies:

It's a form of entertainment and escapism.

also because i need more ideas for the story im writing, and the best way to do that is to play around with them until i do something interesting.

• Upvote 2

I liked G2.  :o

Also known as:

Aguyinahat

Aleksyi

also i write some and do some art, bad at both though.

Does anyone here really feel any shame at all for liking Bionicle, regardless of age?

Probably not.

hate it when people call me out for it and think id be ashamed, though.

• Upvote 1

I liked G2.  :o

Also known as:

Aguyinahat

Aleksyi

also i write some and do some art, bad at both though.

Does anyone here really feel any shame at all for liking Bionicle, regardless of age?

Sometimes a little, but not in the sense that I feel bad about my own enjoyment of it so much as that I wouldn't always be eager to recommend it to people who aren't already fans. I've learned to put up with a lot of Bionicle's weaknesses, but if I were trying to get friends into a fandom I enjoy, there are various series (including other LEGO series) that I'd be quicker to recommmend. Regardless, any sort of shame there is based on its inconsistent quality, not its target age.

I don't really feel like playing with toys is any harder to justify than any other hobby. It makes me happy, it helps me relate to other people, and it even feeds into my career goal of becoming a toy designer.

• Upvote 2

What is this... "shame" that you speak of?

• Upvote 4

Why do we need to justify it?

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up - C.S. Lewis

3/10 troll, got me to respond.

Edited by Iver
  • Upvote 2

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Growing up I slept next to my BIONICLE sets sometimes, started due to the lack of space in my bedroom growing up, but I have no shame in it in retrospect. I sometimes still do it for old time sake. Nothing weird about it, it's just there. Go to bed, wake up, play with my BIONICLE sets, get on with the rest of my day.

Just wanted to throw that info out there. So, along with what I said prior, my point is I have no shame in any of it. And why should I? They're just toys.

Now a-days I just keep them on my dresser, or on the floor, or in the box on the floor of my room I occasionally store them in.

• Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png