Turaga's physical abilities

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, BUT if it isnt...

What exactly is the extent of the Turaga's physical abilities? They are portrayed as elderly people in MoL, and they were clearly styled to be less athletic than Toa in set form. But In the canon, how exactly apt are they for physical strain? It's always made more sense to me that they are actually relatively formidable for their size, and arent slow and decrepit. 

• Upvote 1

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

The way I see it, Turaga are intended to act as spiritual leaders. Matoran are physically adept and capable of performing their assigned tasks, Toa are even more powerful with the added benefit of experience and the power to use masks whereas Turaga trade physical strength for wisdom and knowledge, while being able to use weaker mask powers. 

To answer your question, were a Matoran and a Turaga grapple, I'd guess the Matoran would pound the Turaga with little issue, so long as mask powers are off-limits.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

To answer your question, were a Matoran and a Turaga grapple, I'd guess the Matoran would pound the Turaga with little issue, so long as mask powers are off-limits.

Not necessarily. Bear in mind that in Dark Mirror, we saw an alternate Turaga Dume wielding a battle-axe against Tuyet's Toa guards alongside Takanuva and some Makuta, and he survived for a few minutes, at least. And in Mask of Light, we saw Vakama single-handedly fending off a Rahkshi until Tahu arrived. Sure, he was just beating it over the head with his staff while it stood there, but I don't think he would have done so if he didn't think he was capable of harming it. In Tales of the Masks, Nokama is able to keep up with Gali while swimming to an underwater cave. In that same book, Whenua is shown to be rather agile as he and Onua evade the tentacles of a subterranean worm. In LoMN, Turaga Lhikan scaled the cliffs along the Great Barrier to interrupt the battle between Vakama and Teridax, and still had enough strength to run full-speed into the path of Terry's shadow hand.

Turaga are significantly weaker than they were as Toa, but they are by no means "weak." Not counting masks or elemental powers, Turaga are probably equal to, if not stronger than, Matoran. The only difference is that they serve the role of spiritual leaders to the Matoran, and so they are "out of practice," so to speak, while the Matoran labor and travel on a regular basis, which keeps them in better shape.

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Not necessarily. Bear in mind that in Dark Mirror, we saw an alternate Turaga Dume wielding a battle-axe against Tuyet's Toa guards alongside Takanuva and some Makuta, and he survived for a few minutes, at least. And in Mask of Light, we saw Vakama single-handedly fending off a Rahkshi until Tahu arrived. Sure, he was just beating it over the head with his staff while it stood there, but I don't think he would have done so if he didn't think he was capable of harming it. In Tales of the Masks, Nokama is able to keep up with Gali while swimming to an underwater cave. In that same book, Whenua is shown to be rather agile as he and Onua evade the tentacles of a subterranean worm. In LoMN, Turaga Lhikan scaled the cliffs along the Great Barrier to interrupt the battle between Vakama and Teridax, and still had enough strength to run full-speed into the path of Terry's shadow hand.

Turaga are significantly weaker than they were as Toa, but they are by no means "weak." Not counting masks or elemental powers, Turaga are probably equal to, if not stronger than, Matoran. The only difference is that they serve the role of spiritual leaders to the Matoran, and so they are "out of practice," so to speak, while the Matoran labor and travel on a regular basis, which keeps them in better shape.

If it may add to this, I'm quite certain that multiple sources state that Turaga are stronger than Matoran physically even if just slightly, including Biosector.

I do find it interesting that you never see an example of a Turaga using their remaining elemental powers, even though it's been stated that they still retain small hints of their former strength.

• Upvote 2

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I see the turaga as guidance to the toa like a mentor

oh and

I do find it interesting that you never see an example of a Turaga using their remaining elemental powers, even though it's been stated that they still retain small hints of their former strength.

we have seen a turaga use their remaining elemental power as in the mask of light movie, we see nokama use her mask to translate the inscription on the back of the avokhii

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

snip

we have seen a turaga use their remaining elemental power as in the mask of light movie, we see nokama use her mask to translate the inscription on the back of the avokhii

Elemental power =/= mask power

• Upvote 1

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I always assumed that the movie representation was a less-canon thing resulting from the poor communication between the movie people and those familiar with the canon.

If you have only a passing familiarity with Bionicle, it's easy to assume that the Turaga are physically weak elders because of their social position. In fact, they're not only stronger than Matoran but not even much "older" than many Matoran, since most Matoran were made at around the same time.

• Upvote 1

@ the above post - I think it was more a stylistic choice than poor communication. The Turaga have always been supposed to be the wise village leaders, and how do you convey that visually to even an audience unfamiliar with Bionicle? Simplest solution is to make them look and act old; because in fantasy stories, it's often assumed that age = wisdom.

• Upvote 5

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

@ the above post - I think it was more a stylistic choice than poor communication. The Turaga have always been supposed to be the wise village leaders, and how do you convey that visually to even an audience unfamiliar with Bionicle? Simplest solution is to make them look and act old; because in fantasy stories, it's often assumed that age = wisdom.

The sets themselves are even designed to look like squat elderly people.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

The sets themselves are even designed to look like squat elderly people.

Aside from Dume. He just looks like a Matoran with longer legs/arms and a cool mask. :P

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Even in set form, the Turaga are clearly designed to draw on our cultural perception of the elderly as wise. I most notice it in their staffs, which are meant to remind us of walking sticks. Despite this, they are clearly stronger than Matoran.

However, it's important to know whether Matoran are supposed to be children or full-grown adults. Compared to Toa, the Matoran are definitely more childlike, but in sources such as MNOG characters like Jaller, Kongu, and Onepu (the military leaders) do things that the Turaga almost certainly couldn't (like ride Gukko birds).

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Even in set form, the Turaga are clearly designed to draw on our cultural perception of the elderly as wise. I most notice it in their staffs, which are meant to remind us of walking sticks. Despite this, they are clearly stronger than Matoran.

However, it's important to know whether Matoran are supposed to be children or full-grown adults. Compared to Toa, the Matoran are definitely more childlike, but in sources such as MNOG characters like Jaller, Kongu, and Onepu (the military leaders) do things that the Turaga almost certainly couldn't (like ride Gukko birds).

I'm pretty sure that painting Matoran as childlike is only present in the movies. While physically shorter than Toa, they come across as being on the same level of 'maturity', or however you want to refer to that for a species that doesn't age. 2006 and later showed Matoran in a grittier, more mature way as well, as did the books. In spite of the movie's interpretation, I always considered the Matoran to be "adults".

• Upvote 3

I'm pretty sure that painting Matoran as childlike is only present in the movies. While physically shorter than Toa, they come across as being on the same level of 'maturity', or however you want to refer to that for a species that doesn't age. 2006 and later showed Matoran in a grittier, more mature way as well, as did the books. In spite of the movie's interpretation, I always considered the Matoran to be "adults".

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. I didn't think much of it back in '03, but it's become one of my biggest pet peeves with Mask of Light for a while now, the way they portrayed Jaller and Takua as bickering children; and this in spite of Jaller's obvious military competence in MNOG. I kinda feel like they dropped his maturity level a lot in an attempt to be more relatable to the target audience, and I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. I didn't think much of it back in '03, but it's become one of my biggest pet peeves with Mask of Light for a while now, the way they portrayed Jaller and Takua as bickering children; and this in spite of Jaller's obvious military competence in MNOG. I kinda feel like they dropped his maturity level a lot in an attempt to be more relatable to the target audience, and I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

I feel like it's always been a gray area. The original McToran sets were clearly designed to be cute, with oversized heads, arms, and feet and smaller bodies. They are also definitely meant to resemble children when compared to the Toa in set form. However, Templar (who dealt with the Matoran more than LEGO actually did story-wise) decided to make them well-rounded adults, since they were the main characters of MNOG. In the film, however, the Toa share the spotlight with Jaller and Takua a little bit more, so it made sense for LEGO to emphasize the adult-child dichotomy, in appearance and personality.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I guess you're right; thinking about it, I remember a comic strip that (I think?) came with the McToran that kind of depicted at least some of the Matoran as more child-like, I seem to remember them talking about seeking approval from their respective Toa and such. I didn't discover that comic until many years later, though; so I'd always believed MNOG's small-but-emotionally-mature version was the highest level of canon. I just can't think of them as genuinely being children because of that.

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

in the comics nuju crushed a decently sized rock with his bare fist. id say thats pretty strong

That said, Matoran were said to be able to crush rocks with their feet, and in Hewkii's case, his head. I feel like the takeaway was supposed to be that all bonkles is strong, and some bonkles is stronger than others.

• Upvote 3

That said, Matoran were said to be able to crush rocks with their feet, and in Hewkii's case, his head. I feel like the takeaway was supposed to be that all bonkles is strong, and some bonkles is stronger than others.

oh yeah the matoran are definitely Strong im just sayin the turaga arent exactly frail old people

bionicle is trans culture