Weird Ways You Pronounce Names from Bionicle

slifer3000

What are some ways you pronounce Bionicle names that are technically incorrect? 

For the longest time, I pronounced Reidak as Ree eye dak. I still pronounce Hakann as hay-con. I also pronounced Cahdok and Gahdok as cay dock and gay dock until relatively recently. How about y'all?

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Sometimes when two characters come in one set, such as Vezon and Fenrakk, or Muaka and Kane ra, I like to say them as spoonerisms.

Fezon and Venrakk

Kuaka and Mane ra

Kihkan and Likanalo

Nume and Divawhk

The bahrag however only go from Cahdok and Gahdok to Gahdok and Cahdok XD

• Upvote 1

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

When I first got into Bionicle, I pronounced Lewa "Lee-wah."  I still say it that way sometimes.

I don't think I've ever pronounced Lewa's name correctly... :P

Through-out my life I've used "lee-wah", "loo-wah", and "lay-wah" interchangeably without caring at all about how it's really pronounced.   :P

Anyway, some of the weirder pronunciations younger me came up with include "HE-key" for Hewkii, "GAL-e" for Gali and "Zock-az" for Zakaz.  I also had really weird pronunciations for things like Nynrah, Skakdi, and Muaka (Norik saying that one in "Web of Shadows" really took me for a loop), but I can't remember them now. 

• Upvote 1

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Nuparu = NOO-puh-roo

Takadox = TALK-uh-docks

Pridak = PREE-dock

Jaller = JAAH-lur

Matoro = MAAH-tuh-row

Vezok/Vezon = VAY-zock/VAY-zahn

Ehrye = EH-rye

Edited by Scrubbish
  • Upvote 1

As someone whose native language is based on phonetic pronunciation - meaning we actually say things as they are spelled - I defaulted to that approach for Bionicle names as well, and really feel that that *should* be the way the names are said since their basis is another phonetic language, at least as far as I know. 

Even canon sources can't quite decide how Lewa is pronounced, but I say it just like it is, "lee-wah", and the others as well. If I remember correctly, the narrator for the Inika commercials says "In-eye-ka" or something along those lines, but again, I just say the way it is spelled. The way english treats the letter "i" is absolutely bonkers if you ask me. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

When I first got into Bionicle, I pronounced Lewa "Lee-wah."  I still say it that way sometimes.

Is that not how its pronounced? That;s how they say it in MoL.

It's Lay-wah and that is the hill I have chosen to die on.

• Upvote 2

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Well, apparently as a child I was dyslexic:

Pohatu => Potahu

Hakann => Hankann

I also tried pronouncing the "h" in Bohrok (turning it into Bo-Her-Ok).  An interesting one that wasn't me was a childhood friend who pronounced "matoran" as "matter-ann."

Loo-Wah or Lee-wah.  I've never pronounced it Lay-Wah, though I can see why you would.

Edited by zapper7028
  • Upvote 1

I mean, Ehrye confused me, back in the day. At first thought it was eh-her-yee, before settling on pronouncing it like the English word eerie (was it pronounced that way in Nuju's promo CD? I seem to remember that). According to the Bionicle Encyclopedia, however, it's air-yay, so I was doubly wrong xD

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Well, apparently as a child I was dyslexic:

Pohatu => Potahu

Hakann => Hankann

I also tried pronouncing the "h" in Bohrok (turning it into Bo-Her-Ok).  An interesting one that wasn't me was a childhood friend who pronounced "matoran" as "matter-ann."

Loo-Wah or Lee-wah.  I've never pronounced it Lay-Wah, though I can see why you would.

Lay-wah is the official pronunciation on BioSector

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

I pretty regularly alternate pronunciations for Lewa, between LEE-wa and LAY-wa. I consider the latter the official pronunciation, though. Early on, trying to figure out the difference between Onua and Onewa was a nightmare for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't figure it out until I heard Onewa's name pronounced in Mask of Light.

Ehrye had me frowning every time I saw it written out, too.

Edited by Takatu
  • Upvote 1
rahkshi_symbol.png

I pretty regularly alternate pronunciations for Lewa, between LEE-wa and LAY-wa. I consider the latter the official pronunciation, though. Early on, trying to figure out the difference between Onua and Onewa was a nightmare for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't figure it out until I heard Onewa's name pronounced in Mask of Light.

Ehrye had me frowning every time I saw it written out, too.

I still pronounce Onua and Onewa the same.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Oh, there's so many, especially when I was younger.

Gadunka - Gaunda

Hydraxon - Hydranox

Kapura - Kuparu

Cahdok/Gahdok - Cahook/Gahook

Pridak - Pree-dock

Hakann - Ha-kahn

Reidak - Ray-ih-dack

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I pronounced "Vahki" as "vuh-hawk-ee" for the longest time. Not sure why.

There are some where I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing it correctly or not. I pronounce "Kopeke" as "koh-peek", which I think is correct but I'm pretty sure I've heard someone pronounce it as "koh-peck".

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I pronounced "Vahki" as "vuh-hawk-ee" for the longest time. Not sure why.

There are some where I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing it correctly or not. I pronounce "Kopeke" as "koh-peek", which I think is correct but I'm pretty sure I've heard someone pronounce it as "koh-peck".

I've always said Kopeekee, but ive heard it said Kopeek.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

It is indeed canonically koh-peek, according to BS01.

That's news to me, though; I thought the 'e' on the end was pronounced, rather than silent. I guess add that to my record of weird pronunciations, because literally until right this moment I've always said it as 'koh-peck-ee'.

• Upvote 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I still say it like that to this day because that's how they said it in the movie.

Before the movie came out, I called him "Leh-WAH". Then when the movie came out I heard how they said it, and I stuck with LEE-wuh because I figured it sounded less silly to my American Anglophone ears.

For the most part I think I said everything correctly, though when Jala became Jaller I started calling him "JAHL-urr" (pronouncing the R). Then I saw the movie where they still pronounce it "Jala", so I stuck with that.

I pretty much let the movies override any differing pronunciations I may have had. Especially helped with Onewa. I wasn't sure how to say his name because I figured it would sound too similar to Onua. Then the movies called him "ON-eh-wuh", and I was like "okay, that makes sense.

Speaking of Onua, when I first got him at age 6 I called him "Onlia" because the U in the font that their names were printed in looked like an LI. Then I saw his name in a standard font.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people say Jaller as "jal-er" instead of as Jala. Just felt like saying that.

I think it's understandable given the spelling. I grew up saying Jala because of watching MoL, but I slowly started saying Jaller because all my friends said it like that, before slowly forcing myself to say Jala again once I saw the official pronunciation.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I've always pronounced Kopeke as Ko-peck-eh. 

Well.

Wait, that's not how it's pronounced!?

Huh. Biosector says it's "KOH-peek". That's honestly really weird. I just thought of it as being the same as "Kopaka" with the A's switched out for E's.

I've always pronounced Kopeke as Ko-peck-eh. 

Well.

Wait, that's not how it's pronounced!?

Huh. Biosector says it's "KOH-peek". That's honestly really weird. I just thought of it as being the same as "Kopaka" with the A's switched out for E's.

Kopaka... Kopeke... whoa... never noticed that.

Also a pet peeve when people say oh-knee-wah for onewa.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

So, for the mildest ones, I used to pronounce Nokama "No-KOMO". :P

Nah, when I was five and first discovered the Toa Metru, I was mispronouncing darn near everything. Dume as "doom", Matau as "mat-A-oo", Metru Nui as "metro nui", Hau, as "haw-oo"... the list is not modest by any means.

Also, I was five, so I stuck to referring to the "Arh-CHEEVES" in Onu-Metru for some reason.

Edited by Azani

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Nah, when I was five and first discovered the Toa Metru, I was mispronouncing darn near everything. Dume as "doom", Matau as "mat-A-oo", Metru Nui as "metro nui", Hau, as "haw-oo"... the list is not modest by any means.

Also, I was five, so I stuck to referring to the "Arh-CHEEVES" in Onu-Metru for some reason.

"Haw-oo" isn't incorrect. It's probably the most correct way to say it, actually. 

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

"Haw-oo" isn't incorrect. It's probably the most correct way to say it, actually.

Just to be totally sure, we're talking about the same thing, right? The Kanohi Hau? I've been pretty certain that that was pronounced "HOW".

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I say "HOW" as well, but I think Haw-Oo is similar enough that I wouldn't notice. It's just stretching a vowel longer.

Also, "are-chives" was how I said it for a long time. "Ch" as in "chase." For a brief time it was even "the Arches."

• Upvote 2

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Lewa has always be lee-wah to me, while onua and onewa are pronounced the same

ehrye was ear-eye (ee-rye?)
there's probably a couple more, though i will say that from about 05 onward i didn't have any trouble with correct pronunciations

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17