Share all your ideas for a “gift with purchase”-set

Black Six

Signe from the LEGO Community Team recently shared the following opportunity with the LEGO Ambassadors:

We are excited to share a special opportunity for you and the community members of registered communities. We would like to invite all LAN Ambassadors to collect ideas from their members and share their best ideas for a “gift with purchase”-set*. All ideas are welcome and below are some examples of ideas for a set which you might find helpful to get it started, as you can see there is room for many more good ideas. 
-    Futuristic Spaceship
-    Pre-historic animals 
-    Modular building, corner restaurant 
-    Flower(s)
-    Steam train (from 1923)
-    Underwater creatures

Involve your members and share one collective list of ideas in a prioritized way, listing the most popular idea at the top of the list. You are welcome to share a picture to help explain some of your idea(s), making it easier for us to interpret the idea in the correct way. 

Before you start please check out the entry guidelines and how to enter in the RULES.

Rules

• Ideas consisting of or containing copies of any existing third party work or creation or infringements of any third party intellectual property right will not be eligible for this activity
    • However, ideas to themes within the current LEGO portfolio are welcome: LEGO Star Wars, LEGO DC Comics™ Super Heroes including original characters and LEGO created IPs, such as LEGO Friends, LEGO NEXO Knights, and LEGO Elves, are allowed.
    • Ideas consisting of or containing trademarked terms, or names that otherwise constitute infringements of any third party intellectual property right will not be eligible for this activity.
    • Ideas should be compatible with the current LEGO system of play. This means that all ideas have to be possible to execute with the current portfolio of bricks & LEGO Minifigures.  
  • Please remember to consider the LEGO brand values. This means no:
    • Politics and political symbols, campaigns, or movements
    • Religious references including symbols, buildings, or people
    • Sex, nudity, drugs, alcohol or smoking
    • Swearing or profanity
    • Death, killing, blood, terrorism, horror, or torture
    • First-person shooter video games
    • Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation, or national war memorials
    • Large or human-scale weapons or weapon replicas of any kind, including swords, knives, guns, sci-fi or fantasy blasters, etc.
    • Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals
  • Ideas containing defamatory or degrading elements will not be eligible for this activity. 

How to Enter:
Submit one collective list of your communities’ top 5 most wanted GWP themes. Make sure that the list is ranked, so the most desired theme is number 1 and so forth. Post your list by commenting on this topic and you’re welcome to inspire your own community with the themes suggested by other fan communities. Only one list per community is permitted.

Entry Deadline
Please submit your community’s prioritized list of ideas no later than November 1st 2017 at 10:00AM CET.
If you’re not sure what time zone you’re in here’s a time zone converter.

*A “gift with purchase”-set is as the name indicates a set which is given to people who purchase a specific LEGO offer.

Q&A:
Can Reg. Fan Media and Online Communities publish this initiative?
We want to developed a GWP which is popular in the adult fan community. So, we want involve as many adults as possible. The only trick is for these communities to collect it in a meaningful way: on a top 5 prioritised list.

Are there any limits to how big the set could be? Ex. “large model of the London Bridge”
The ideas should not be size specific it London bridge can also be built in a smaller model. Focus should be on idea, not final model.

Where can we learn more about GWP sets?
To see a few of the past GWP sets, please visit LEGO.com or even better: community created resources like Brickset.com

• Upvote 1

Bionicle would be top choice, but those parts are definately not part of the current portfolio.

I'd certainly like to see more done with alien based space subthemes, some recolours for Alien conquest heads would be awesome!

Edited by CommanderKumo

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

With Lego Dimensions, I kind of hope some of the creative energy shown in that theme gets channeled into polybag-sized versions of existing sets. The Ninjago Movie polybags are a great example of this sort of thing.

Anything with exclusive elements that can be used in MOCs is always a plus. When Bionicle was running, I would have recommended masks, but with that option off the table I'll go ahead and voice my love of exclusive minifigures.

Posters are cool and all, but I have a tendency to acquire posters and never use them, and I feel like they don't sway my personal purchasing decisions as much as other offers.

The exclusive VIP card for early buyers of the UCS Millennium Falcon intrigues me, even as someone who isn't as much of a fan of Lego Star Wars. We don't really know yet what sorts of exclusive offers those cardholders would be eligible for, but it would certainly be interesting to see that sort of thing experimented with for fans of other themes. It'd be neat to be able to better tailor offers to buyers depending on what sorts of themes are their favorites.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

How about a free 75192 Millennium Falcon with every purchase of $10 or more? I'm sure there'd be plenty of takers.

• Upvote 3

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

Something I would love to see is some polybags with more playfeatures or functions. Maybe a mini solar model with the sun and the Earth. The Earth spinning, when you orbit it around the sun. Or a miniature moving engine thing.  Basically neat little desk toys with interesting techniques implemented.

• Upvote 3

A general direction I'd like to see is more brick-built stuff, less minifigs (though this seems to be the opposite of what the community at large thinks).

Specifically, there could be themes or series which work through the development of various important objects in human history with a small educational side to it. Say, nautical travel, which would comprise of a VIking Longboat, a Galleon, a Steamer, and a modern cruise ship. Aviation would have the Wright Brother's plane, Ameila Earhart's, Howard Hughes', a Concord and a 747. Lego could come up with all kinds of such themes, and keep them each going for a month or two, alternating GWP sets each week or two weeks. 

Another thing which others have suggested, and is already in play to some extent, is releasing microscale polybag versions of existing sets. While vehicles have been the typical pickings, I'd be interested to see one of the larger Creator houses reimagined as a microscale polybag.

Another idea I had is a tad more abstract, and may not work as well in practice, but applying the same mentality as trailers do for movies or demos for games, GWP polybag sets could be "snapshots" of larger sets. If there is a part of a particularly large Lego set that could possibly stand out and yet work on its own, that "section" of the set would be copied verbatim into a polybag with the philosophy being "here, this is a small part of that big $300 Lego set. Did you like it? Then there's even more to like in the bigger one!". As demos allow players to try out a game in a limited fashion in order to convince them to buy it, these snapshots allow fans to "try out" larger, more expensive sets with the same goal in mind.

Now, I myself am aware of the issues. Many factors which go into picking a Lego set to buy hinge on the entire set, like value, overall design, parts, etc, but I think with particularly large sets which in recent years have almost always included interesting building techniques, this might still work. Maybe.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Another idea I had is a tad more abstract, and may not work as well in practice, but applying the same mentality as trailers do for movies or demos for games, GWP polybag sets could be "snapshots" of larger sets. If there is a part of a particularly large Lego set that could possibly stand out and yet work on its own, that "section" of the set would be copied verbatim into a polybag with the philosophy being "here, this is a small part of that big $300 Lego set. Did you like it? Then there's even more to like in the bigger one!". As demos allow players to try out a game in a limited fashion in order to convince them to buy it, these snapshots allow fans to "try out" larger, more expensive sets with the same goal in mind.

I like this idea! the snapshot could include one of the minifigures from the larger set but with a different face print, so that both snapshot and main set have a unique feature

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

Does anyone remember those old Discovery Channel space sets? I really loved those and I'd like to see a similar brick-built mini space model, like a rover or the Hubble Telescope.

EDIT: Actually some of my favorite all-time space missions were the Viking probes. I would flat-out love to see a mini Viking probe. :D

Edited by Noble Tehurye

A gift-with-purchase set focused on adult fans...

How about a revival of the Lego Legends label with reprint minifigs of original Lego characters? Sort of like how we've had collectable minifig reprint packs, but instead of for generic archetypes, they'd be for defined Lego veterans.

Let's say four minifigs - like a Johnny Thunder, a Dash Justice, an Agent Chase, and a Nexus Astronaut? Their part molds still exist or have been minorly modernized, so the risk on the manufacturing side is decreased.

If not, a small build of Grand Admiral Thrawn's office with the minifigure of the same name keeps it modernly relevant with Star Wars Rebels and uses an adult fan-favorite character.

• Upvote 1

- Bionicle Fan since 2002

- Former Lego Universe Alpha/Beta Tester

- Owner of The AGL Group

A revival of the old service pack sets, specially the ones featuring minifigs and/or minifig acessories, but extended to themes beyond City.

Edited by Zarkan: Master of Storms

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Here's my idea: we all know how film and music often have "deleted scenes" or alternate takes. Things that almost made it in, but due to time, budget, or some other constraint, couldn't be in the final product. Perhaps the Gifts With Purchase could be "deleted concepts" that the Lego set designers originally hoped or planned to include with a set, but by the final iteration, had to excise it for whatever reason. I suppose these gifts could range anywhere from just a minifigure all the way up to a small vignette or vehicle, depending on what set it was associated with.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I do know there are stories from Lego product designers regarding certain sets and things they wanted to add, but it would have made the set too big for the price point, or would have delayed production.

Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

What about small CCBS Star Wars sets - either chibi versions of characters, or sets depicting smaller characters like Wookies, Jawas, droids etc?

Droids I think would be the most feasible option—it'd probably be hard to swing anything that needed a unique mold (since gifts with purchase just don't have the budget for that), but a smaller droid like a Pit Droid could probably be done without any new parts.

• Upvote 1

What about a collection of minifigures depicting characters from the show MASH, or a minifigure of the CWs Flash. Maybe a full line of MASH sets might happen, just picture the 4077 set,or the different Clinger minifigure variants.

The former seems like it'd run up against Lego's general avoidance of sets focused on modern military conflicts. The Korean War is still in recent memory, and while MASH mostly offers a lighthearted take on the day-to-day life of troops and only occasionally delves into the gravity of the actual conflict, it's still centered entirely on a U.S. military operation.

The Flash would make a lot more sense, as it fits into Lego's existing DC Super Heroes license and would have broad appeal for fans of that theme.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see more mini-figure packs.

Specifically the following:

1. Obscure Star Wars characters from the shows and the EU
  2. More Dimensions packs like Green Arrow and Supergirl. (Specifically Portal 2 Wheatley...)
  3. More DC and Marvel characters from the MCU and DCEU. It would be great to get some of the other characters from the MCU that weren't included in the sets like Odin, The Dark Elves, Stan Lee, Etc.
  4. Bionicle G3....Come on we all are thinking it. :P
  5. Batman Suits from the movie that didn't get made.
Edited by keiththelegokid
  • Upvote 1
Want to join a Bionicle RP with seasoned RPers, vast amounts of topics to post in, and a Wikia to make it easy to get involved?

Come on over to Gen1RP.  :smilenuju: