Why were some Onu Matoran Tan?

Takanuinuva

Something that has always bugged me when watching MNOG and MNOG II. Why were some Onu-Matoran like Taipu mostly tan? Isn't tan a Po-Matoran colorscheme. I thought the Onu-Matoran colorscheme was black orange and purple.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Yeah it's a good question.

It still bugs me that Taipu and Hafu have the same colour schemes despite being different types of matoran.

Perhaps that's why Templar Studios got them confused and gave them each other's masks.

Edited by Zarkan: Master of Storms

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Onu-Matoran just seem to have the most erratic color schemes, including orange and purple. I think the implication is that their koro is the most chromatically varied, since all the gems that you could find underground can be included in their colors.

You could make the same argument for Le-Koro or Ga-Koro, with vibrantly colored plants, but whatever. Tan in particular is probably the color they went with, in spite of the Hafu/Taipu confusion (which they lampshaded in MNOG II), because Earth and Stone are the most similar elements. In fact, it's often argued that they might as well be the same element, which this color confusion only adds to.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I always thought: 

Ta = Red, Orange, Dark Red, Black

Ga = Blue, Light Blue, Teal

Le = Green, Dark Green, Teal, Lime Green

Po = Brown, Tan, Orange, Copper, Keetorange/Tan Yellow, Black

Ko = White, Light Blue, Sand Blue, Dark Grey, Light Grey

Onu = Black, Dark Grey, Purple, Orange

Each colour represents something:

-Ta represents fire, lava and igneous rock for the black (Basically volcanoes)

-Ga represents water (Since teal and blue are both similar shades that can be found in the sea)

-Le despite being the element of air, represents the jungle more (Which links heavily to air through photosynthesis) and green, teal, etc. can all be found in jungle-like environments

-Po represents deserts and grand-canyon type environments with the orange, sandy colours (although not sure why black is a popular colour here... maybe to represent caves or something?)

-Ko represents snow (white) and ice (light blue) as well as the rocky sides of mountains (light and dark grey)

-Onu represents dark caves with the black and dark grey. IMO the orange on Nuparu and purple on Onepu could be a few things; it could represent minerals and crystals, or it could just be to stop the onu-matoran from looking evil, or it could just be to distinguish individual characters.

If this is the case, then Taipu with his Black/Tan colour scheme would be classified as a Po-Matoran, despite canonically being an Onu-Matoran, which makes no sense but if everything in Bionicle made sense I don't think it would be as popular as it is.  :smilekohrak:  :smiletahnok:  :smilelehvak:  :smilegahlok:  :smilepahrak:

Dosne, Mamru, and a couple unnamed Onu-Matoran had some tan to them as well, though the first two had orange masks to help differentiate things. I have half wondered whether or not Taipu might not have been a Po-Matoran mistakenly identified as a Po-Matoran due to the whole amnesia thing.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Dosne, Mamru, and a couple unnamed Onu-Matoran had some tan to them as well, though the first two had orange masks to help differentiate things. I have half wondered whether or not Taipu might not have been a Po-Matoran mistakenly identified as a Po-Matoran due to the whole amnesia thing.

But remember, Taipu excelled at mining, which was a quintessential Onu-Matoran activity. Plus, all Onu-Matoran had night vision and had trouble seeing above-ground, so an Onu-Matoran would have a hard time living above-ground, and vice versa.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

But remember, Taipu excelled at mining, which was a quintessential Onu-Matoran activity. Plus, all Onu-Matoran had night vision and had trouble seeing above-ground, so an Onu-Matoran would have a hard time living above-ground, and vice versa.

Could always see him having been a Po-Matoran who carved Rahi replica statues in the Archives and thus adjusted to being underground. Plus, he seemed awfully happy hanging out in Le-Koro.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Something that has always bugged me when watching MNOG and MNOG II. Why were some Onu-Matoran like Taipu mostly tan? Isn't tan a Po-Matoran colorscheme. I thought the Onu-Matoran colorscheme was black orange and purple.

wot? are you racist?

CORRECT ME IF I'M CANONLY INCORRECT

WIPUVUw.jpgI will come for you, I will find you, AND I WILL Correct that post you made, its the mask of shadows, not the mask of darkness, loser

• 2 years later...

I don't believe this theory, but: maybe the tan-chested matoran we see in Onu-Koro are actually Po-Matoran contracted to do slag work in the great mines?

Or perhaps the Onu and Po matoran are all from the same greater elemental tribe (Earth/Stone) and one faction decided they liked living underground? Onua and Pohatu got along pretty well in the MOL movie, share the same music theme in the GBA game, and both elemental powers deal with things beneath their feet/claws.