Difference In Packaging

So, I've had these two duplicate sets of McToran/Tohunga/Flexarm McDiskshoot Kongu for quite some time now, and I've noticed something odd. They do not have the same packaging. At least, not in the text department. One of them has the McDonald's logo in all its glory, but the other does not. The one with the logo is labeled as "4+", while the other is labeled as "7+". They both seem to have the map of Mata Nui erroneously labeled as "Ga-Koro" for some reason. One says 2001, while the other 2002.

Bag 1, Front Side
zXrC92T.jpg

Bag 1, Back Side
kMk0WQK.jpg

Bag 1, Mata Nui Label
IMVGKtL.jpg

Bag 2, Front Side
VdCCepu.jpg

Bag 2, Back Side
ipKpewV.jpg

Bag 2, Mata Nui Label
unVpjE0.jpg

So there is definitely a difference in packaging, as you can plainly see. But what does this mean? They were apparently released in two separate years, so was it released outside of a promotional item?

• Upvote 2

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

I believe the year difference and lack of McDonald's branding on the second means it wasn't a happy meal toy, but available via some other means.

This also makes it a tohunga that isn't a mctoran. This is a key step in Bionicle genetic research, and might help us trace back the ur-Matoran. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The Tohunga were first released as Happy Meal toys in the US in 2001 and then as independent toys in Europe in 2002 (it says "2002" on the back of the second polybag; I can also see how it says "Съдържа дребни елементи." in my home language even though they were never available in Bulgaria).

Additionally, Huki and Matoro were available once again in 2003 (I think) in polybags made of harder plastic. Not sure how those were distributed.

• 3 weeks later...

I do to, I have huki and onepu, onepu is from mcdonalds and huki is the one with the rahkshi poster

CORRECT ME IF I'M CANONLY INCORRECT

WIPUVUw.jpgI will come for you, I will find you, AND I WILL Correct that post you made, its the mask of shadows, not the mask of darkness, loser