is bzpower dying?

squidmaster

This forum may be dying, but there are plenty of Discord servers where the community has tangled themselves. It's much easier to find a sub community that you mesh well with there. Unfortunately, this forum is on it's last legs...

Indeed, someone looking over my shoulder at my computer as I explained the story of BZPower once commented that the forum was dying because we were all just talking on a Discord server. And while I think that's more correlation than causation, but maybe there's some amount of truth to it.

Then perhaps it might be worth considering having that Discord server include a link here to BZPower, if only to raise awareness for newer fans who may have never heard of us.

• Upvote 1

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

One issue is that there is no new Bionicle content anymore. There are a few other LEGO fansites which are more active because they were not as specialized as BZP was in the beginning. Nonetheless, all forums have been suffering a lot since social networks started to spread. Things change and we change. I used to post more than 20 times a day in the late '00 and now this is my first message in years for example. 

Edited by Kaxix
  • Upvote 1

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

One issue is that there is no new Bionicle content anymore. There are a few other LEGO fansites which are more active because they were not as specialized as BZP was in the beginning. Nonetheless, all forums have been suffering a lot since social networks started to spread. Things change and we change. I used to post more than 20 times a day in the late '00 and now this is my first message in years for example. 

good god where did the time go

• Upvote 1

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

• 3 weeks later...

This thread will be all that's left of BZPower in the end. A very ironic end it shall be.

[one millennium or so in the future...]

User A: I can't help but feel this board's dying.

[board is literally just their post and the reply box. Hapori Tohu lies immoveable on top, still watching over its home in its last moments.]

User 1: Well yeah, I mean BIONICLE's over for the 7th time, and it's been three cycles since GregF IV last updated the G6 neurocasts. The recovery of G4's Legend of the Hero Mask City 3 is on hiatus, and there's only 6 G1 Hahli Mahri sets left intact in the whole planetary system. There's still many fans out there, though, just look at r/bioniclememes's continuous cortical outputs. I'd say BIONICLE will live on for at least a thousand more years...

User #: And this topic will still be alive by then...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I first signed up to the the forum formerly known as Bionicle Zone about 17-18 years ago. Just checking in to see what was up in 2019, maybe try and find some of my old windows movie maker music videos set to various Linkin Park tracks or maybe my old Brickshelf url. Unfortunately it looks like the site was wiped about 8 years ago and all of that is lost to the void. It's not likely I'll ever post again but I was here at the beginning and wanted to leave a note in case, at some point, this thread is in fact.. the end.

cheers people

• Like 1

To be honest, I think the only reason this site can keep going is that the few of us who still remain are simply too stubborn to ever consider leaving.

Take myself, for example. When I first joined way back in 2004, despite my great hopes, I never really did anything to stand out, so I was pretty much doomed to be just another random username in a crowd of thousands (yes, I'm sure there were really that many active users back then). My activity declined for a while, but then I decided to resume full activity in 2012, though I still didn't really do much to make myself known by anyone. I later got interested in the Twitch Tuesdays weekly game streaming shortly after it started, and while there were quite a few other members involved at first, the number of them gradually dropped until eventually I was the only one left still watching and commenting each and every week.

So really, my only claim to fame here is that I'm virtually the only one still sticking around to enjoy one particular aspect of this site.

• Upvote 4

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, it feels like Halo 3 multiplayer.

Everyone is offline.

I'm mostly sad about the Comics Forum being completely devoid of any life. Soran, Girlicky, Dark709, Gavla, they're all dead now.

I'm watching you, Terton.

I mean, I'm basically dead too. When was the last time I did anything there. :v

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

let's get this thread to page four

:kakama:

Four pages of irony, here we come!

Sir yes sir!

Well, you're obviously not dead yet. I've seen you posting around recently.

I myself can honestly admit that this is probably the most active stand-alone forum I've seen. I mean, we are faring much better than the Casio calculator forums.

Besides, we could always just use the Mask of Life. I have a feeling that sub-forum will be around for a while as well.

• Like 1

:smilematoro:

Sir yes sir!

I myself can honestly admit that this is probably the most active stand-alone forum I've seen. I mean, we are faring much better than the Casio calculator forums.

Besides, we could always just use the Mask of Life. I have a feeling that sub-forum will be around for a while as well.

Casio calculator forums?

You must be kidding. 

*checks*

You're not. This is amazing.

• Like 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Sir yes sir!

Casio calculator forums?

You must be kidding.

*checks*

Why would I kid? A friend asked if they could run Gameboy games on their calculator, and so I tried to find out how.

While the capabilities of Casio calculators proved incapable of running Gameboy games, the forum stuck around in my mind because it seems to use the same forum software we do.

A strange phenomenon: One of the most active hours, from my view, at least, is 10 o'clock EST. It's rather strange.

Edited by Downfall

• 4 weeks later...

Sir yes sir!

Casio calculator forums?

You must be kidding.

*checks*

Why would I kid? A friend asked if they could run Gameboy games on their calculator, and so I tried to find out how.

While the capabilities of Casio calculators proved incapable of running Gameboy games, the forum stuck around in my mind because it seems to use the same forum software we do.

A strange phenomenon: One of the most active hours, from my view, at least, is 10 o'clock EST. It's rather strange.

reminds me of how back in the day (by which i mean like 10th grade) i installed a gameboy emulator on my ti-84 so i could play pokemon

there were graphical issues, since the ti-84 had a much lower res than the gameboy (96x64 vs 160x144), but it basically worked all right

• Like 1

that was tight

Once this topic dies I say we give BZPower a viking funeral.

How, though? Do we like, go to Andrew's, put the computer(s) hosting BZP on a boat and burn the whole thing?

You know, one of these days I woke up with a feeling of unease, what with Cartoon Network's website recently dead, I felt like I had to check BZP, just to make sure it was there.

I forgot until next day. It was there.

Did anybody have trouble logging in this morning? I was worried...

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

Well, this was unexpected.

Did anybody have trouble logging in this morning? I was worried...

I got a 'server too busy' message every time I tried to visit for most of yesterday. Seems okay now though.

So did I.

I stay logged in most of the time, and I don't think I showed up yesterday. If I did, then I think I got a server error.

let's get this thread to page four :kakama:

Sir yes sir!

Casio calculator forums?

You must be kidding.

*checks*

You're not. This is amazing. :kakama:

reminds me of how back in the day (by which i mean like 10th grade) i installed a gameboy emulator on my ti-84 so i could play pokemon

there were graphical issues, since the ti-84 had a much lower res than the gameboy (96x64 vs 160x144), but it basically worked all right

Was it a TI-84 Silver Edition? From what I remember, the ROM for Pokemon is rather large.

How, though? Do we like, go to Andrew's, put the computer(s) hosting BZP on a boat and burn the whole thing?

Yes. @BlackSix, expect visitors soon.

This sounds interesting. Will a video be provided on YouTube?

• Like 1

I'm usually logged in all the time, too, but my dad cleaned up the PC and wiped the cookies, so I had to log back in.

Did any of you know about CN's dead website, as I mentioned? It's probably irrelevant to you right now, but it's still worrying that a media player hack had such massive consequences. I mean, it's Cartoon Network's websites, worldwide, dead! Because the media player got hacked!

Think of the children! Think of your childhood there! Just so you know, they still had all of their Flash games online, so because of this they're all lost now, officially at least. It's bad however you see it.

Probably, if YouTube's still around a millenium or so into the future. Remember we're not doing it just yet...

[sigfig in tunnel]

Didn't know about Cartoon Network's website. Of course, I haven't been on there in years since they got rid of all the games I used to waste hours on from there. Even then, I nearly forgot the website existed since they seem to be promoting their mobile app in full force.

As someone once said to me, I've been around for as long as most of the current staff members here, and I can think back to some great story tellers like Bionicle Guru, GaliGee, and I know SPIRIT is still around. At this point, I'm almost an old relic to BZP considering I joined back in 2004 and I can think back to a lot of major events like the big Dataclysm that claimed so many topics... including every single piece of literature I ever wrote and submitted to the forums. Although looking back at my writing from then (because I did archive maybe 2 stories from then), I hated my writing from back then. And now I'm almost kinda glad it's gone so I won't have to remember that and I'm hoping most people forget as well, with the exception of whatever I made that I was proud of.

Point being, this website has gone through a lot in the past. Some of it I wasn't around for, but a lot of it I was, and in a lot of cases people were afraid something was going to happen. Sure, we don't have over 10,000 members online at once to the point the servers go down, but there's still some life here. It's just maybe not as much as it was back in the heyday for the site. There's still fans out there keeping the spirit of the story alive. I've seen some fan films out on Youtube with the intent of retelling events or telling new ones. I still see a lot of MOCs being made in the present day on a number of other websites. It's been so long, I don't even know if Brickshelf is still a thing since I think Majhost went all screwy. I've met a young artist who got into the theme years after the theme ended, yet she still made fan art of the characters and was nice enough to even make a piece for me on my birthday with one of my MOC characters. And then there's those like me who are still writing away about our favorite characters, no matter how many years have gone by. The Bionicle universe was pretty big, and there's still so much we don't know about it, for G2 and G1 really. 

Whether it's old fans who still cling to those precious memories of days gone by or new fans who are just stumbling on it for the first time, I think at the very least the spirit of Bionicle will live on. And with places like BZPower for those fans to gather, I don't see it dying off immediately, so long as there are still people interested. Now, if one day everyone suddenly forgot Bionicle existed, memories were wiped away, and the toys, books, comics, and who knows what else were to suddenly vanish away as if it were the work of Thanos, that's another story, since there'd be nothing to remember. 

TL;DR As long as everyone remembers Bionicle and keeps the spirit of it alive, I don't think this site is going anywhere soon. Unless Fate wants to prove me wrong and make me look like a fool.

• Upvote 3

Of course, the days of forums are past their prime. But honestly, the community aspect of forums is so much better when compared to larger forms of social media. Also, discord is not any better - most of the discords I'm in don't have a sense of community and consist of people spamming memes.

However, just because posting rates are down doesn't mean that all is lost. The people who are left over can pretty much continue a nice little community of their own, even if it doesn't hold a candle to what forums used to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

~ ((ºJº))

I mean, so long as we all don't have to burn with it. I rather enjoy having my flesh not barbecued.

coward. i for one will be jumping on the pyre

Casio calculator forums?

Sir yes sir!

You must be kidding.

*checks*

You're not. This is amazing. :kakama:

Was it a TI-84 Silver Edition? From what I remember, the ROM for Pokemon is rather large.

yes it was

Edited by Canama

that was tight

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, it's on its last legs. We've been waiting for its demise since 2011, though. This place is more undead than bonesiii, and it's a crying shame. 

On 5/18/2019 at 2:48 PM, Downfall said:
On 5/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ganto said:

On 5/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, Lipuret McKaukau said:

On 5/17/2019 at 1:46 PM, Ganto said:

Yes. @BlackSix, expect visitors soon.

I'M IN. 

I have a video camera. Let's DO IT. :onfire: 

• Like 1

Came on here after a burst of nostalgia to find this. As much as I'm sure BZPower is on its last legs and I'll probably never return here again - might as well use this topic to say how meaningful this website was to me as the first forum I ever joined and as an introduction to how great fan communities can be. I refuse to ever look back at any of my posts on here for fear of embarrassment, but I've still kept the screen name I use on here on a lot of other websites as a reminder of how much this fandom and website meant to me when I was young. Cheers for that, BZP. 

tumblr_n2r10eoieo1qz8x31o1_400.gif?w=720

Blog: toatalireviews.com

29 minutes ago, toatali said:

Came on here after a burst of nostalgia to find this. As much as I'm sure BZPower is on its last legs and I'll probably never return here again - might as well use this topic to say how meaningful this website was to me as the first forum I ever joined and as an introduction to how great fan communities can be. I refuse to ever look back at any of my posts on here for fear of embarrassment, but I've still kept the screen name I use on here on a lot of other websites as a reminder of how much this fandom and website meant to me when I was young. Cheers for that, BZP. 

I looked at my old posts from like 2011 the other day. Bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 1/25/2019 at 4:44 AM, Chronicler06 said:

Then perhaps it might be worth considering having that Discord server include a link here to BZPower, if only to raise awareness for newer fans who may have never heard of us.

Agreed!

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.