Memories of a Forbidden Future

Master Inika

Gakusha the Ko-Matoran Scholar stepped into the flowing waters of the chute. All his life, he was accustomed to the sensation of moving through a weakened magnetic field into a rushing wave of liquid protodermis to move from one part of Metru Nui, his utopian island home, to another.

He was a Scholar in the Ko-Metru Knowledge Towers, and had been one for thousands of years. His days were normally full of silent contemplation on the prophecies written in the stars above the island. He and his fellow Scholars worked tirelessly to decipher them. It was long, slow, monotonous work, but every Ko-Matoran knew it was vital to the city’s survival. Every disaster that could hurt the city was foretold in the heavens. The warnings were up there, waiting to be discovered. It was only on occasion, such as today, that Gakusha took a chute to another Knowledge Tower to compare notes or confer on some other matter of importance. Today, he was on his way to ask another Scholar’s opinion on how to interpret the exact placement of the brightest star in a certain constellation.

Then, the waters of the chute began to warp and change. Gakusha was a Ko-Matoran, and knew better than to panic, but his first thought was that he was in danger. If a Rahi was attacking the chute, then solving his constellation quandary was the least of his troubles. He might not have a future to be foreseen at all.

Then, he awoke. Gakusha put his hands to his armor and the powerless Kanohi on his face, a black Kanohi Akaku. His breathing slowed as he realized he was safe. His body was unharmed, and his surroundings were his familiar home in Ko-Koro, carved from ice a short walk from the Sanctum.

Already, as he stood and stretched, the vivid sensation of riding in the chute left him. He had already forgotten where he was riding to, the name of the Matoran he wished to speak with, and the specific details of his life in Ko-Metru. What he could not forget, however, was the fact that he could remember so vividly living in such an advanced city.

He stepped out of his hut and walked to the Sanctum. The icy air would be too much for most other Matoran, but not him and his brothers. The weather, it seemed, was at least consistent between his dreaming and waking lives.

He entered to see his fellow Scholars hard at work, only instead of studying the skies, they studied the ancient prophecies written into the walls. In the corner was Turaga Nuju, leader of Ko-Koro. Gakusha approached.

“Excuse me, Turaga,” he said in a whisper.

His leader looked away from the wall to his Matoran. Though Nuju appeared distant and stoic, he still radiated an aura of wisdom and safety, as any Turaga would for his or her Matoran.

Nuju began whistling and clicking in the bizarre language he spoke. Gakusha looked to the left and right, but Nuju’s translator Matoro was nowhere to be seen. But Gakusha didn’t have time to wait for him to return.

“I had the dream again,” Gakusha said in an even softer whisper, making sure only Nuju could hear him.

Nuju took a deep breath. “Come outside, Gakusha,” he said.

Outside the Sanctum, a snowstorm was clearly headed their way. Still, it was the best place for the Turaga and Gakusha to converse alone.

“You dreamed of the towers and the water chutes again?” Nuju asked, leaning on his Ice Pick and looking at Gakusha solemnly, studying his every movement.

“Yes,” Gakusha said. “I was on my way to talk to someone about something. It felt as normal as the morning walk to the Sanctum.”

Nuju looked off into the distance. “It’s good you came to me. Tell no one else of this. I must speak with the other Turaga before we proceed any further. Until then, return to your work in the Sanctum.”

Without awaiting a response, Nuju began moving back for the door.

“But Turaga, the dreams becomes more and more real each time! I can’t just forget about it and go back to work like everything’s normal!”

Nuju stopped for a moment, but didn’t look back at him. “You must,” he said simply, then reentered the Sanctum.

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!