LEGO Not Discounted At TRU

Following the announcement that Toys R Us stores across the United States are closing, everyone thought there would be opportunities for discounted LEGO sets. News has just surfaced from LEGO fans checking in with their local stores, and confirmed by The Brick Fan, that LEGO items have been marked "Do Not Liquidate," indicating that these products should be sent back to TLG. Brick Fan's report specifies new sets, so it is possible LEGO does not want older sets back, but that is anyone's guess until actually checking the stores. Sales could begin within the next few days on many toys.

View the full article

If the first wave of stores to close is any indication, Lego will be discounted, just not the newest sets. I went to one of those a couple weeks ago, and they had all the Star Wars Buildable Figures 30% off besides Boba and the new Vader (didn't look around at much other Lego).

sigbanner.gif

Another key thing to remember: "LEGO" is a much broader topic than what's technically made by LEGO. Dimensions sets are actually a Warner Brothers product, stickers are Santoki, storage bricks are Room Copenhagen, books are DK, Scholastic, and Klutz, clocks and watches are ClicTime, etc... you can still buy plenty of real LEGO stuff without buying any excluded "LEGO construction sets".

...which has been good to know for a while, since Toys R Us promotions and rewards programs have been excluding LEGO for months now. The right strategy is to earn points on LEGO, then blow the points on licensed gear.

• Upvote 1

I saw that a few sets were on minor sale (though mostly just through the shelf labels as the minor sale items had mostly all been bought out). They looked as if they would have been on sale independent of TRU closing or not. I went to two TRU before reading this article. The only set I found at either of them at a fairly good deal was the Chirrut Imwe constraction figure for $10. Not my favorite for parts, but being more than 50% off was enough for me to pick up one. I am disappointed that it looks like nothing else will actually be discounted that much. Back when I first really started going to TRU for LEGO they had some really good deals (though in retrospect, this was in 2005 when both TRU and LEGO were not doing so well). 

storage bricks are Room Copenhagen, books are DK, Scholastic, and Klutz,

There are Klutz Lego books? I like Klutz books but didn’t know they made Lego ones.

Quite a few, actually. We've covered some on the front page here, including How to Draw Ninjago, LEGO Make Your Own Movie, Crazy Action Contraptions, LEGO Chain Reactions, and the upcoming LEGO Gadgets. They vary a bit, with some of them including enough LEGO pieces to build all the models in the book, and others being more of an "inspiration" than a how-to.

Edited by danny316p
  • Upvote 2