BBC Contest #75: Reiz and Pax

Hey everyone, ~SUMMONER~ here. If you don’t recognize me, that’s probably because I’m your typical BZP lurker. Anyway, I haven’t had the parts to do any real MOCing in some years, but this latest BBC Contest was the perfect chance for me to steal parts from collaborate on a build with TuragaNuva. (You may know him as “The Compilation Guy.") So I guess, without further ado, here are our creations: Reiz and Pax.

pic1compressed.jpg

Reiz, a mystical being of unknown origin, was merely an egg before he was happened upon by Pax, an old warrior who had long moved on from the battlefield. Sensing something in the veteran that it had not felt from other passers-by, the dragon hatched from its age-old slumber, imbuing Pax with a portion of its power in the process. The warrior’s form was changed by the event, and he found new strength as the dragon’s energies teemed throughout his being. Feeling that the encounter was a work of destiny, Pax took Reiz in and raised him into the beast you see now. With a bond unbreakable by any foe, the two now re-enter the endless battle, wielding abilities far greater than perhaps either ever imagined.

Hey, TuragaNuva talking now. So, the concept we wanted to go for was two MOCs that are visual opposites, but with elements that bring them together: one is humanoid and one is bestial, and they have opposing colors. But they both have black as their other primary color, and each have eyes in the other’s color (blue and orange, respectively), to tie them together. They also have one other thing that ties them together, but we'll get to that later...

Here are some pictures of Reiz on his own:

reiz_entry_pic-min.jpg

Wings folded: frontsideback

Unfolded: frontsideback

And here’s some of Pax:

pax_entry_pic-min.jpg

In times of utmost need, the bond that Reiz and Pax share can be fully realized, allowing them to come together as one:

20180526_215110.jpg

Back: center, left

Rushing: front, side

Guarding: front, side

Pointing: front, right

Cloaked: left, right

Other: relaxed, alert

No disassembly is required for the combination (other than moving Pax’s weapons to the combined form’s hands), and there are no additional pieces needed. Orange pieces fold out from behind Pax’s shield and spear, and orange on the back of his legs is revealed on the front of the combined form’s arms. The top half of Reiz’s head swivels and flips up to rest against Pax’s back, while his lower jaw flips and folds down to form the codpiece.

For more pics of everything, here’s the full gallery.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by ~SUMMONER~
  • Upvote 5

“I am a Toa-hero, here to save you from … whatever it is you need saving from.” -Lewa Nuva

sigpic.jpg

This is amazing - I've also entered the contest but I honestly hope this wins. Absolute best build that has been entered. I've seen good parts use, smoothness and good techniques in the rest, but I must say this blows everything out of the water.

Pax is nothing to sneeze at with the custom head and brave colour choice but Reiz and the combined mode are the spotlights. Absolutely loving Reiz, and those wings are a masterpiece.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

That's a big dragon.  O_O

I'm honestly kinda impressed you managed to give it a recognizable head- usually creatures that size end up looking like a massive jumble of parts, but Reiz is on the cusp of overcoming it.  It's fantastic that the wings can fold up, too.

Pax is pretty solid, albeit blocky and with a head I can't quite get behind.

That combiner is fantastic.  How does it work?  Do you need to take them apart to put them together, or do parts of them fold up to fit each other?

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I'm honestly kinda impressed you managed to give it a recognizable head- usually creatures that size end up looking like a massive jumble of parts, but Reiz is on the cusp of overcoming it.  It's fantastic that the wings can fold up, too.

That combiner is fantastic.  How does it work?  Do you need to take them apart to put them together, or do parts of them fold up to fit each other?

Yeah, I'll concede that Pax's head could be better (I'm still not great at custom heads). I was trying to go for a bearded look, but I'm not sure how well it comes across.

As I mentioned in the original post, no disassembly is required for the combination, other than moving Pax's weapons to the combined form's hands. Part of the reason Pax is blocky is due to what he has to do for the combination: his lower body splits down the middle, allowing his legs to rotate and move up to attach to the arms, forming the combined mode arms (his toes become fingers for the hands).

sigbanner.gif

Wow, thanks for the feedback you guys. Quick heads-up: I fixed the image links under Reiz, and hopefully the full gallery will be available for you to view soon as well.

This is amazing - I've also entered the contest but I honestly hope this wins. Absolute best build that has been entered. I've seen good parts use, smoothness and good techniques in the rest, but I must say this blows everything out of the water.

Pax is nothing to sneeze at with the custom head and brave colour choice but Reiz and the combined mode are the spotlights. Absolutely loving Reiz, and those wings are a masterpiece.

:kakama:

I'm glad you like the wings. They were one of the hardest parts to get right, but are probably my favorite feature as well. Getting them to be able to support their own weight while also being foldable/poseable was a real challenge, so I'm really happy with how that worked out.

Thanks -- I didn't really have a pre-established method or process for building when I started him, so I largely just pulled out all of the pieces of the right colors that I thought might work for different parts, like the Inika and Stronius armor for the jaws, Technic panels and various flat-bladed weapons for the wings, etc., and shuffled them around until I found something workable that I liked. He did end up being pretty large in the end, so a lot of the work involved just getting him to be both stable and poseable. (Fun fact: the front toes are virtually ornamental, since all of the weight lands on the heels.) I'm proud to say that even in combined form, they're still capable of doing a decent range of poses without shaking or toppling over, but for some reason I didn't think to photograph it until after our setup was torn down.  :headbonk:

Anyway, feel free to drop any more questions you guys have, but otherwise, good luck to everyone in the polls!

“I am a Toa-hero, here to save you from … whatever it is you need saving from.” -Lewa Nuva

sigpic.jpg

Hey everybody, bit of an update: we realized there weren't nearly enough pictures of the combined form, so we've added a bunch. The gallery has also been updated (and is now on Flickr)! We'd really appreciate it if you'd take a minute to check out some of the new photos. Thanks!

sigbanner.gif