Something weird I noticed

Sorry if this becomes a bit disturbing but I'm sure Bionicle has done worse!

I was rewatching Mask of Light a couple of days ago when I noticed something about Jaller's revival. Jalller is killed by Turahk and is left dead on the floor of the temple's entrance. Takanuva takes his mask with him as a good luck charm. Anyway in the end Takanuva uses Jaller's mask to "revive" Jaller and bring him back to life, a new body for Jaller is made using the mask as the base.

Doesn't this mean that there is a maskless dead Jaller still up on the surface? What would happend if Jaller were to see this?!

• Upvote 2

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

I like to imagine the dead Jaller body was just transported via magical nonsense, so it's technically the same body.

• Upvote 2

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Considering the Matoran rebuilt their whole bodies with Bohrok corpses, which too are essentially mutated Matoran, I don't really think the corporeal body is sacred in any way, shape or form in the Bionicle universe. Could be the old Jala body did remain up there and they just tossed it out, or rebuilt it into like a pump or something.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I'm pretty sure they didn't just leave the body on the surface of the temple. They probably buried it or otherwise disposed of it in some way. Other than that, we don't know if Jaller's body after the revival was the same as before (just teleported and infused with life energy) or a completely new body. It's an interesting question.

I believe BS01 states that when Matoran die, their bodies are beamed up to the red star for resurrection. So Jaller's old body disappeared, but Takutanuva resurrected him using the energy imprint he left on his mask (or something) before he could be revived in the red star.

That's what I remember reading, anyway. I could be way off. :P

• Upvote 1

"If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs."

I believe BS01 states that when Matoran die, their bodies are beamed up to the red star for resurrection. So Jaller's old body disappeared, but Takutanuva resurrected him using the energy imprint he left on his mask (or something) before he could be revived in the red star.

That's what I remember reading, anyway. I could be way off. :P

This is indeed what happened. The Matoran don’t seem to be aware of the Red Star’s function, however, since they always seem to treat death as permanent.

But now that you mention it, didn’t they also have some sort of grave/memorial for Jaller? I recall a scene where they display his mask suspended in some sort of beam of light (Takanuva’s hard light projection?) before Hahli mounts it on the Ussanui.

So Hahli is a grave robber. :P

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

• 2 weeks later...

So... does this mean there might be two Jallers? One in the MU and one in the Red Star?

The Red Star really makes Bionicle canon... interesting. I so wish Farshtey would have gotten the chance to finish the serials. A Hydraxon on Hydraxon fight is super interesting. Lots of cool implications and discussions to be had on the nature of individuality.

Though that sort of breaks apart for me with Jaller since he's a pretty straight laced character and wouldn't fight with a copy of himself if he can help it... unless they're a zombie. It really would help discussions like these to have gotten some conclusions. I don't fully remember how the Red Star handles resurrection, as in if it only needs the body or if the character can be revived just with their spirit (which is so, so nebulous).

Also,I don't know exactly how closely we should follow the movies as a source of canon since at the end of MoL it's sort of implied that Mata-Nui is awakened (I think, it has been a long time). I'm guessing this is cause Bionicle was meant to end in 2003?

Still, it would be pretty dope to see Jaller playing with his old corpse like a puppet. Could start a funny comedy routine, his ex-corpse serving as a dummy. Pull some funny pranks on Hahli. Oh, the possibilities.

yeah dude youre all forgetting about the red star

None of us are forgetting about the red star. The writers forgot about the red star, hence Takanuva reviving Jaller at the end of MoL with his mask is cause for some measure of confusion as it flies in the face of how the red star, and death in the MU, works.

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

yeah dude youre all forgetting about the red star

None of us are forgetting about the red star. The writers forgot about the red star, hence Takanuva reviving Jaller at the end of MoL with his mask is cause for some measure of confusion as it flies in the face of how the red star, and death in the MU, works.

To be fair I don't think the writers forgot about the Red Star. I think the Red Star was intended to be a space station from the beginning, but its development into a reincarnation machine probably wasn't. I think that creative decision was made by Farshtey way after the fact. I'd say it's probably the other way around; the writer(s) forgot about Jaller's body since it was part of MoL--which already contains plenty of other inconsistencies and creative decisions that don't agree with canon.

Also, does anyone know if Jaller's death and reincarnation was something reflected in his character in the books? I don't think I ever got to read up to 2006/07 and it would be really interesting if that were touched upon. Reincarnation is often used symbolically in stories but in reality going through a near death experience leaves you psychologically and emotionally unstable, as well as philosophically displaced. I remember his bio in Makuta's Guide to the Galaxy touching on it and it would be really cool if that was played into his character

Greg added the Red Star's revival function because he wanted to do a "zombies in a space station" story, or so the tale is told.

I remember something on BSO1 about matoran on Mata-Nui not being able to be revived on the Red Star because it was outside the Matoran Universe.

• Upvote 1

:smilematoro:

Seeing as Greg described the consciousness of MU life as "programming", I don't think it's that strange a thing as it's not unlike transferring your old, defunct phone's data to a new one :P

The curious thing to me has always been how Vakama revived Takanuva from the mask with the Three Virtures ritual thing. If he could do that, why did he not revive Jaller himself...

99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

There's only one body. The Red Star retrieves your mind, then teleports what's left of your body afterwards for "recycling" as I understand it. And Takutanuva just did what the Red Star does terrestrially.

Also, does anyone know if Jaller's death and reincarnation was something reflected in his character in the books? I don't think I ever got to read up to 2006/07 and it would be really interesting if that were touched upon. Reincarnation is often used symbolically in stories but in reality going through a near death experience leaves you psychologically and emotionally unstable, as well as philosophically displaced. I remember his bio in Makuta's Guide to the Galaxy touching on it and it would be really cool if that was played into his character

One of the enemies the Toa Inika encounter in the Zone of Nightmares is a Turahk. I personally interpret this as a callback to Mask of Light, and that each Toa can be matched up to one of the six enemies, Jaller matching up with Turahk. It makes sense that a Turahk would be Jaller's greatest fear considering one literally scared him to death.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

One of the enemies the Toa Inika encounter in the Zone of Nightmares is a Turahk. I personally interpret this as a callback to Mask of Light, and that each Toa can be matched up to one of the six enemies, Jaller matching up with Turahk. It makes sense that a Turahk would be Jaller's greatest fear considering one literally scared him to death.

That sounds awesome!

But yikes, a lifeless Jaller just laying there on the surface for the current Jaller to find sounds really dark and creepy.

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

There was also that time when Jaller was about to volunteer as the sacrifice in the Chamber of Death, but froze up due to his memories of dying before. This led to Matoro volunteering first. Edited by Toatapio Nuva