G3 could work now?

ToaTImeLord

Sir put the pitchfork away and hear me out.

2018 has seen the rise of many reboots of long forgotten franchises and shows.

Some examples Voltron, Thundercats, Clone Wars, a potential reboot of Jimmy Neutron.

Lego had the right idea to reboot Bionicle but at the wrong time. If Lego could jump onto this trend of reboots they could recapture the Bionicle charm. They could successfully retell the Bionicle story again and not get back lash for recycling the same plot points.

This of course would probably not happen and probably work better on a theme like Galidor or Fabuland.

This is just an idea that pop in my head seeing all these reboots.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Reboots are nothing new for 2018, and 2015 was not the “wrong year.” The trend of reboots was already going on then. They been going on constantly for the last five to ten years (and frankly, I’m sick of it). It’s just that the percentage of original stories is smaller now.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I will always want a G3 Bionicle that stays true to the spirit of the original while doing its own thing, but I don't know how practical that is from a marketing standpoint. Considering the backlash a lot of recent reboots have gotten, Lego might not want to step into that market right now.

• Upvote 1

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

We can all hope and dream, but even if Bionicle G3 ever happens, it probably won't happen for at least another decade, and even then, it probably wouldn't be able to top the first generation because of nostalgia reasons. But for the kids of the future who potentially grow up with another Bionicle generation, let's hope there's just as much effort put into it as the first one so that they can have a good childhood as well. Although if that's the case then the story probably won't be anything like the first generation, because I don't think they'd retell the entire original story in the same detail all over again. They would probably create a completely original universe with new characters and everything.

Bionicle needs to rest. I maintain that the hurried cancellation of G2 prior to it running its 3 year course wasn't a "well this is a failure, to the bin with it" and more of a "this isn't quite working, back to the drawing board so we get it right with G3". Had Lego just wanted to bury and forget it, I think they would have put out a single wave for 2017 with fewer sets and let it fade, while the whole premature cancellation kicked up a bigger storm. 

Reboots have been a thing for a decade, and these days nothing is cancelled permanently. As bad as G2 allegedly sold, G1 is was still among the most popular toys of its time and the brand recognition of Bionicle is still a force to be reckoned with, provided it is backed with suitable marketing. With G2, it wasn't. A well marketed G3 could potentially outpace the success of even G1 and Lego is smart enough to know. You can bet Bionicle is coming back. You can also bet it won't for 5-10 years. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Well, let me say this.

Reboots have been happening since the last decade. I think Bionicle G2 happened in the wrong time because people are primarily into few certain themes, Ninjago, Star Wars, and Lego Super Heroes. Plus, constraction wasn’t doing great, as it used to with Bionicle G1, in this decade. You see, in this decade, Bionicle G1 was sadly cancelled. Hero Factory took its place, but it’s doing poorly year by year until it ended unannounced.

Bionicle G2 sure lasted for two years instead of three, but it has some good and nostalgic qualities, like the gear systems. Bionicle G1 is a good classic, like the Batman and Spider-Man movies.

Years 2015 and 2016 weren’t good for Bionicle G2, making it less great than and never had the same magic as G1 (well, some of us also wanted G1 to re-continue instead of G2 happening), because Lego didn’t focus on it much and had little budget for it. Lego had been focusing on those non-constraction themes that I mentioned the most, making them much more successful than the constraction themes now. Hero Factory had this similar problem, despite having some good qualities. This decade isn’t so good for constraction, as it is decreasing by quality. We never had a new constraction theme since 2016 when G2 ended for some reason. Man, are we in the dark age or Great Depression of constraction, you guys.:(

Even some great non-constraction themes, like Legends of Chima, Nexo Knights, Lego Dimensions, and Mixels, had this problems. All of those not-so-great themes are thrown out despite their good potential to be more successful, because Lego didn’t promote them as well as Ninjago (I think of that theme as this decade’s own Bionicle), Star Wars, Lego Super Heroes, or some others. (I mean, come on, a series of short animations and a Netflix show for Bionicle? Really? And when will Nexo Knights’ TV Season 5 show up? Don’t leave the story hanging). It’s a bit unfair.:( I am not against the successful themes, though. I just feel bad about the not-so-great themes and wished they could have done better than what happened.

Now, as for Bionicle G3, well, I’m pretty sure that it could happen somehow. G2 has some good qualities despite its sudden cancellation for some reason, as I said before, and Lego hasn’t said anything sad about it, so I think it could be possible that G3 could happen somehow, maybe on Bionicle’s in 2019, 2020, or 2021 (Bionicle’s 20th anniversary year. Who doesn’t want to celebrate it by bring Bionicle back again?). I mean, look at the Spider-Man movies. It was in the same situation as Bionicle’s until Spider-Man: Homecoming happened beautifully. So, Bionicle could be redeemed that way. It would be like the Batman movies for how well they would go in the future as well.:)

Speaking of 2019, has anyone seen any sign of a new constraction theme or constraction in general in that year yet?

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

As I've said again and again, I just want Bionicle to stay dead... I think a spiritual successor would not be wrong, but rehashing Bionicle yet again would only end in failure. 

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Lego had the right idea to reboot Bionicle but at the wrong time. If Lego could jump onto this trend of reboots they could recapture the Bionicle charm. They could successfully retell the Bionicle story again and not get back lash for recycling the same plot points.

I don't really see how now is a far better time than 2014-16 was, people either connect with a line/story or they don't, they did with original Bionicle but they didn't with the second one. Whilst it might not be certain why they didn't, I don't think it was to do with 'recycling' the old story, bearing in mind most children of the last five years weren't even alive when the original Bionicle story was (therefore it shouldn't feel 'recycled' to them, even if it sort of was).

No, because Bionicle is an action figure line with an attached story - not a tv show with attached merchandise. And action figures are on the decline across the board. Doubly so for the buildable ones Lego offers. If constraction figures cant sell even when they're in the shape of Darth Vader and Boba Fett, they're not going to sell period. That's just the way the cookie has crumbled.

As devastating as it will undoubtedly be for a lot of us, I think we are going to have to accept that Bionicle - and constraction as a whole - is finished. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego gives CCBS one final shot a few years down the line, if only to justify all the money they spent developing the system - but I don't expect it to be successful, anymore than G2 was.

• Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

I'd honestly get an original CCBS theme than Bionicle.

I feel like Ninjago has been Bionicle's replacement ever since it was brought back with the Rebooted wave.

I liked Bionicle G2 and wish we had gotten a third year. But I understand why it was cancelled early.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

No, because Bionicle is an action figure line with an attached story - not a tv show with attached merchandise. And action figures are on the decline across the board. Doubly so for the buildable ones Lego offers. If constraction figures cant sell even when they're in the shape of Darth Vader and Boba Fett, they're not going to sell period. That's just the way the cookie has crumbled.

As devastating as it will undoubtedly be for a lot of us, I think we are going to have to accept that Bionicle - and constraction as a whole - is finished. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego gives CCBS one final shot a few years down the line, if only to justify all the money they spent developing the system - but I don't expect it to be successful, anymore than G2 was.

I'm curious if Bionicle could return, just not as its usual constraction self.  Instead of those, have sets like the playsets from the Hordika, Voya Nui, and Mahri years.  Some things might suffer because of that - I don't think an island with six different zones would work in a playset-based line, it wouldn't be coherent enough.  With wrecked Metru Nui, Voya Nui, and Mahri Nui, there wasn't much variation across the geography of the island, so I think that worked in their favor.  It also might be harder to have distinct masks on a smaller minifigure scale, and minifigures will never be as posable or sturdy as constraction builds.  But I do wonder if it could work as a continuation of the series.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Bionicle needs a breather for now. It's been 2 years since it last ended. 2020 would be the absolute earliest it can reasonably come back, IMO; and I think even that's pushing it. Lego pulled G2 from shelves for the same reason they pulled G1: it was doing average, not extraordinary, and they know that they have a big moneymaker in this IP. They'd be dumb not to try again with better marketing and story teams, but they'd also be dumb to do so immediately after their last attempt.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Honestly, at this point I don't know if I rather have it stay dead or brought back, if I rather remember it for what it was, for face being disappointed with newer stuff that I might not get into. (Be it from rose tinted nostalgia goggles or otherwise) 

The 2015 Toa sets where phenomenal imo, but nothing else in G2 really captured the magic that was in 2001-2003 of G1.

So aside from it far too early for there to be a G3, if they try to rehash the whole mysterious tribal island theme it would feel repetitive. 

I was thinking that perhaps what they should do later down the line is maybe try to recapture the industrial/urban feel that 2004 and Metru-Nui gave off, but I suppose that might be too similar to Hero Factory.

Maybe if they do bring it back, they should just take it to bold new directions instead of looking back on old ideas.

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Nah, let it rest until 2022 at least. I don't think a decade is reasonable, but this year just isn't long enough. Bionicle G2 was an attempt to revitalize the constraction line, and it didn't work.

I'd love to see a Bionicle reboot - even one with different merchandise, as I'm much more invested in the story these days. But G2 finished early barely 18 months ago... and right now, it seems like constraction sets are winding down.

I would love to see a Ninjago-style System theme with a Bionicle flavor, but I still think we need to wait a few years.

Stories I wrote

Parts of a Whole Series: An Alternate Ending

Part 1: Fight for Freedom                        Wisps of Memory

Part 2: Army of One (In Progress)

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          
Tale of the Toa Stones          Masks

The only thing I’d care to see in the future at all, honestly, is Greg finishing those last two online serials and giving us old fans some closure. Then BIONICLE can rest in peace.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water