Further Bionicle Waves And Generations

IndigoElks

I used to be really big into bionicles, and just got back into them. I don't really know any of the most recent news, other than I really didn't like Gen 2. I was wondering if they're ever gonna bring back Bionicle, continue the Gen 1 storyline, and if they are going to bring back the Gen 1 styles of building.

G2 was cancelled for the same reason as G1: it was only seeing average performance, so Lego pulled it from shelves to keep it from becoming unsalvageable. We don't know when or if Lego will release third iteration, but they'd be stupid not to.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

To address your questions:

1. Addressing the future of the Bionicle line:

It is possible for more Bionicle sets to be released at a future date, but this is entirely unconfirmed.

2. A continuation of the G1 storyline:

Unlikely, to say the least. A new generation of Bionicle would have to appeal to many people, not just old fans who want answers to old questions. The plot points left over from G1 aren't exactly the best story starters.

3. The G1 style:

The generation 1 building style was rather heavy on original molds, many of which would have to be reproduced. The Toa Mata each contained several parts specifically produced for that wave. Think along the lines of most weapons, feet, arms, legs, masks, and torsos. The sets got more and more specialized the further into the generation you go. It wouldn't be particularly cost effective, to say the least.

We can only hope that a possible G3 becomes what we want. I personally would prefer an in depth story, like G1, but more articulate figures.

:smilematoro:

I don't think Bionicle can co-exist with Ninjago (a story-based theme with 6 main heroes who use elemental powers that is so popular it has both a TV series with 9 seasons and a theatrical movie) and the Star Wars Buildable Figures. Actually, the latter appears to be ending, and no mention of a new Constraction theme exists in any rumors, so it looks like Constraction itself may be on its last legs. Additionally, thanks to videogames, there are many ways for kids to play as characters and/or play out stories without having to use physical figures. And don't forget sandbox games like Minecraft and Roblox.

Now, LEGO (or at least one of the LEGO Twitter accounts, if I remember correctly) said that Bionicle generation 2 sold okay. However, for LEGO, okay sales are not good enough. I think the motto of the LEGO Group is "Only the best is good enough". Bionicle was not selling above average, so it was cancelled. Perhaps cancelling it was actually an attempt to save it for the future, similar to the first time it ended. If it ends while it is selling poorly, retailers may not accept it next time. But if it ends while it is selling well, they probably will accept a new batch of sets.

I know some people think that Bionicle generation 2 was poorly advertised, but so was Elves, and yet Elves is still around. The difference is that clearly Elves was successful enough to justify more advertising. I guess LEGO thinks that if a line does not sell really good with minimal advertising, there is not enough to be gained by advertising it a lot. I can't say I disagree. It sucks for Bionicle fans, obviously, but from a business perspective it makes sense.

As for using the original building system? That will definitely never happen. The original Bionicle system was far less LEGO-like, in my opinion, and I think that is part of the reason why CCBS was created in the first place. But maybe even CCBS is a bit obsolete these days. With the existence of both System ball-and-socket joints using the same connectors as CCBS pieces, as well as the introduction of the Mixel joints, you can do a lot with just System and Technic parts. CCBS is still used in some System sets, but it is mostly just the smaller bone and shell elements, which are usually connected to a System ball/socket joint. Whatever the case, the old specialized everything-has-greebling-molded-into-it Bionicle building system is definitely not coming back.

Is there a chance for Bionicle to return in the future? Maybe, but I would not bet on it happening until Ninjago is gone, and there are no current System themes that overlap the market that Bionicle would be trying to target. But given System themes seem to be more successful than Constraction ones right now (which is the opposite of how things were back in 2001), why would LEGO bother making a Constraction theme when they can just make another System one, especially given the continuing success of other LEGO themes, such as Creator, City, DC/Marvel Super Heroes, Friends, Star Wars, and so on... and don't forget Technic.

I think the best that Bionicle/Constraction fans can hope for are continued cameos and references in other themes, as well as the continued use of CCBS parts in sets. The latter may end up being the only source of recolors for the next several years, since there are no signs of a Constraction theme/subtheme coming to replace the Star Wars Buildable Figures.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

G2 was cancelled for the same reason as G1: it was only seeing average performance, so Lego pulled it from shelves to keep it from becoming unsalvageable. We don't know when or if Lego will release third iteration, but they'd be stupid not to.

I cannot echo this enough re: Will Bionicle Ever Come Back?

of course it will

It just probably won't any time soon and it's almost guaranteed not to continue G1.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I cannot echo this enough re: Will Bionicle Ever Come Back?

of course it will

we see this thing all the time, themes revived after a few years to give each generation its own version of the theme- examples include castle, alien themes etc...

but the g1 story arc if over and as much as we want it to come back, it never will its too complex to just introduce to newer fans.

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

video games have kinda killed bionicle, since the story can now be played out without needing figures. on top of the fact that g2 bionicle was a bit of a commercial failure by lego standards, it'll be a while before more bionicle sets are released, if ever. the fans from g1 are doing a pretty good job keeping it alive though.

it would be pretty cool imo if they brought back g1, but with really detailed and complicated sets with very few "standard" pieces and made mostly custom.

Edited by Magikarp411

Add me on discord if ya want: magikarp#5600

video games have kinda killed bionicle, since the story can now be played out without needing figures. on top of the fact that g2 bionicle was a bit of a commercial failure by lego standards, it'll be a while before more bionicle sets are released, if ever. the fans from g1 are doing a pretty good job keeping it alive though.

it would be pretty cool imo if they brought back g1, but with really detailed and complicated sets with very few "standard" pieces and made mostly custom.

Then they could just be marketed as action figures. In any case, if you want that, check out this Shapeways shop: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.shapeways.com/shops/iron-foam-armory&ved=2ahUKEwiqv87tufXcAhWFwVkKHcl3DaMQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0xF6_S1CxM8W8YH3M9I8MT

:smilematoro:

To be honest, I'm a bit tired of that argument. Video games aren't, and never will be the death of Lego, or any of its themes. And that includes Bionicle. I remember when Minecraft came out and blew up to be the huge game it is today, people were freaking out and talking about how it was going to render physical toys like Lego useless. Those same arguments happened with video games and movies, and I'm sure the same of movies and books. Lego recognizes there's a market for constraction out there, else they never would have kept making it after Bionicle died for the first time. Bionicle was a huge part of all of our lives, and what we collected as Lego fans. They're still referencing Bionicle in some of their properties. Things like the map of Mata Nui in the Ninjago City Docks set, or "THE BIONICLE MOVIE" on a film marquee in the theater in The Lego Batman movie. 

Lego knows that there's still fans out there, people still interested in the property. They know it could be successful again if they managed things correctly, and they want to be for the fans. You can see that in the writings and direction behind G2 in the art book. It's just a matter of time. It's not going to be G1 again, but I hope they can come close.