Kraata and the Fallacy of Revelation

Banana Gunz

Kaa.png

I got my first drawing tablet today so I took the afternoon to whip up this Shadow Toa merged with a Kraata in Gimp. Enjoy the hastily written backstory!

“My name is Kraata, for whatever I was before was sucked away with the light. Once I could’ve been called Toa, I even made my image after The Great Toa of Fire. Make no mistake when you see me however, my body was changed. I was manipulated, twisted, and crafted by the mad darkness. Even beings of shadow saw me as a , a mindless monster possessing the mutated body of a toa. For a time I even was.

“When the voice is cut and comes out as nothing more than a scream, the mind takes after. Time did not heal me, however it did reclaim me. Eventually my mind and my impulses divided. There are toa, and there are Rakhshi. I am the product of the slug and stoic forced together. The others like me never live long enough to negotiate an existence other than madness. The screeching in your head, the shadow in your veins, it makes you desperate. Not like Rahkshi; Rahkshi are complicit, obedient by design. I answered because the Makuta were something to hold onto. Maybe a promise, a semblance of order. When they pointed, I went, because suffering is irrational and picks no favorites.

“Names are like moments in time, titles too. They don’t apply to me anymore, at least not the ones I used to have. If not by choice, then by reality. Now my name is something real, a concept, an object, a creature, because ideas are consistent. Individuals and being perish and transform with time. Sanity, like madness, is not something you can fight. It is a fact of your being, and few get the chance to go through the many turns of time’s wheel. The facts of my body hold true, but when the force of the calamity begins to pass, will can wash back over, and grit has become the essence of my being.

“Why, like most questions is deceitful. I do not exist for revenge. Purpose and destiny were drained out of me long ago. When those are taken, one is presented with the only true choice in all of existence—the choice beyond all predjudice and preconception—the choice to continue to try and exist. I am alive because I was strong enough to be, and whatever truths may come from here are postulations to a theory so whole that its roundness cuts like a claw.

“My name is Kraata, for I was submerged in darkness and learned truth. Do not mistake it for a revelation or a message from some higher power, for those betray the faithful like death betrays all bonds. I was a toa who died for nothing, a creature corrupted for Nothing, and a monster who killed for nothing. But now, I fight for life itself.

…”

C&C welcome and appreciated!

• Upvote 3