Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

A little while ago I was considering which of the Tohunga comprising the Chronicler’s Company were most comparable to the main ponies. While it quickly became clear to me that there was little overlap in the traits of the characters, I was rather startled to uncover a great number of parallels between Hafu and Rarity.

Even superficially, the two share many common traits. They both have a strong interest in their work, which is not only what they offer as their contribution to their respective societies, but is a form of art. Hafu is a master carver, his work second to none on Mata-Nui, and Rarity is a clothing designer who is talented enough to have had her work garner considerable attention from Canterlot elite, despite her comparatively humble background.

Psychologically, the two are incredibly similar as well. Neither is particularly humble about their art. Rather, they are both well aware of their skills and tend towards egotism in regards to them. Despite this, neither character fails to put their full effort into their work (a sometimes tempting thing to do when ones believes in their own superiority). Hafu spends nearly the entire duration of the Mata-Nui Online Game (a period of roughly seven months by my estimation) tending to a directional sign he carved in the middle of the Motara. Rarity pours all of her time and effort for several days into creating dresses for her friends in Suited for Success, despite the almost unbearable workload.

But then there is Rarity’s subtle yet defining trait: her generosity. Initially I assumed that we simply had not seen enough of Hafu for anything like this to have been developed by Templar, but to my pleasure I was able to prove myself wrong. When Hafu joins the Chronicler’s Company, he sacrifices precious time that could have gone towards finishing his sign before the Rahi attacked. Granted, at least part of his motivation was the glory of a grand quest to the most important site on the island, but he had been working on that sign for a long time. By leaving it, he accepted the possibility that he may never have the opportunity to finish it. He says “Who am I to deny fame and glory, even if I do not last to see it?” which can come off as a rather vain comment at first glance. However, Hafu is admitting, quite willingly, the possibility that the quest may bring his time on Mata-Nui to an end. At least at some level, he is going for the benefit of the other islanders. Like Rarity, Hafu seems to sometimes have generous intentions hidden under an exterior of self-importance.

I think Hafu’s generosity is perhaps better expressed in the 2002 news updates. Of course, while he is initially horrified at the prospect of toppling the Path of Prophesies, he does see that it is necessary for the safety of the village, just as any Tohunga would have. But Hafu makes a surprising decision in sneaking out before a party can be organized to accompany him, putting Huki and the others’ safety before his own. He not only sacrifices his masterpiece, but potentially himself as well, which is certainly a testament to his generous spirit.

I had never analyzed Hafu this deeply up to now. It is interesting that looking at one character can help you to understand another one a bit more.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

If anyone were to be at Bronycon, it'd be amazing if they could gather some folks together for a Skype call from Bronycon to Brickfair (which is that same weekend). I'd love to send Bronycon a show of support from one fandom to another.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

No BronyCon for me, since I'll be attending GalaCon in Germany that weekend. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

If anyone were to be at Bronycon, it'd be amazing if they could gather some folks together for a Skype call from Bronycon to Brickfair (which is that same weekend). I'd love to send Bronycon a show of support from one fandom to another.

My brother (The Fourteenth Lakefish) is going to be at Brickfair...

Anyways, I've got $100 dollars ready to go for BronyCon. Any Vendor suggetions?

You guys like my new av?

So, uh, I did it. A couple years back I said I would write a medley of pony fan music and oh my god i actually did it

I'd add more songs but the sheet music is already like 48 pages long and it's 6 and a half minutes. And, considering the flute samples aren't all that great should I record myself playing and upload it places?

It is quite pretty.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

Only a month and a half late, I finally saw Equestria Girls. I got the DVD at Best Buy. I have to say, buying pony stuff in public (as opposed to eBay) wasn't as bad as I thought. I might even go back in someday.

I thought the movie was awesome. I especially liked how meeting human Fluttershy played out the same way as the original.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Only a month and a half late, I finally saw Equestria Girls. I got the DVD at Best Buy. I have to say, buying pony stuff in public (as opposed to eBay) wasn't as bad as I thought. I might even go back in someday.

I thought the movie was awesome. I especially liked how meeting human Fluttershy played out the same way as the original.

I liked it, I saw it on youtube in HQ, and I downloaded it onto a CD.

I saw Equestria Girls when I was on vacation in Germany and I quite liked it, even if my friends were riffing on it loud enough so I couldn't hear half of it.

Why was I in Germany, you ask?

Why, GalaCon 2013, of course! And it was amazinggg.

Best part? At the Bronies for Good charity auction, Peter New ran right past me when frolicking around the auction hall wearing Anneli Heed's bright pink feather boa, which was to be auctioned off.

Aweshum. :3

Edited by Valenti

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Best part? At the Bronies for Good charity auction, Peter New ran right past me when frolicking around the auction hall wearing Anneli Heed's bright pink feather boa, which was to auctioned off.

O_O HOLY COW!

BTW, if anypony wishes for a MLP RPG, Could somepony help me make one? I don't know where to put it.

Edited by Cloudspark Crowfield

I'm ambivalent to Flash Sentry. It would have felt weird having a high school movie without a romantic side story, so I'm glad there was something. The writers didn't do anything with him I explicitly didn't like, but I feel like they could have done more. It felt like the obligatory high school romance and nothing more. I also immediately knew he was the Royal Guard pony at the beginning.

Having him be Sunset Shimmer's ex was unnecessary and never mentioned again, even though Rarity implied Sunset would respond to their relationship. In fact, I don't think Sunset and Flash interact at all except when Flash proves Twilight didn't destroy the gym, and when Sunset brainwashes Flash. It would have been interesting if their former relationship was handled well (like explaining why Flash would be interested in Sunset at all, and if they knew each other as ponies), but I'd rather Rarity just not mentioned it.

Otherwise, I loved most everything else. The Mane Six translated into humans very smoothly. The music was wonderful as usual, and, unlike some other bronies, I liked the parallels between the movie and the pilot (like with Fluttershy and Sunset Shimmer's defeat). The bits in there just for bronies (like Spike choosing a moustache) were great but wouldn't detract from the experience to non-bronies. That being said, Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and Cherilee all came off as more abrasive than their pony forms, and Granny Smith as a lunch lady looked weird.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Of course, a convention isn't complete without some nice loot! tumblr_mr9mlypmwz1r796vco1_500.jpg - A cute box for the Enterplay MLP trading cards. (Includes Fluttershy poster and a pack of awesome cards.)- Future Twilight Sparkle, made by Asukatze.- Princess Luna blind bag. :3- A box set containing all MLP FiM issue #1 covers by Andy Price. Yay!

f9Qcky7.png

I haven't been keeping up with the latest arc. It's partly because I'm still undecided how I want to collect the comics going forward. It's very hard for me to get out to a comic shop every time a new issue comes out, and when I put it off they often sell out of that issue before I can get my hands on it. I'm considering buying the digital copies from issue 9 onward, perhaps supplemented by the graphic novel compilations when those show up.

Where do they sell pony comics?

Everywhere.

Like bookstores, comic shops, comixology app on phones, etc.

There's a Barnes & Noble, a Target, and a TRU in my area. Think any of those places would have it?

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Everywhere.

There's a Barnes & Noble, a Target, and a TRU in my area. Think any of those places would have it?

B&N, yes, Target, I don't think so, and TRU might, since I've seen other comics there. But I haven't been to a TRU in like a year. :P

Everywhere.

From my experience, Barnes & Noble only stocks the graphic novels (the only single-issue comics I've ever seen there are mainstream superhero fare in the magazine section). The only ones that are currently compiled as a graphic novel are the first four (Return of Queen Chrysalis).One other place that carries the comics is Hot Topic, which is relatively common in malls and such. They only stock their own covers, and they haven't started selling the character-focused micro-series comics yet, but they're sometimes easier to get to than a traditional comic shop.If there is a comic shop in your area, though, I recommend you take advantage of their services. http://www.comicshoplocator.com is a great resource for finding if there's a comic store nearby that you simply weren't aware of.

So I haven't been here in forever but I just wanted to say that I love Equestria Girls and it's basically an excellently made extended episode of the show.

Also Brad pony is better than Brad human imo. So now we have a "canon" ship for Twilight GOGOGOGO

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

I think it originated as a joke on some website. :shrug:

But Flash Sentry is pretty cool.

f9Qcky7.png

I still need to get Equestria Girls on DVD, since all my plans to see it in theaters fell through and by the time it was up on Youtube in any decent quality I figured I might as well wait until the official release. Overall, what I've heard about it has been largely positive, and I've never had much of a problem with the concept.I do feel like the toyline is terribly underwhelming though. The outfits just feel a lot more generic than the stylish ones they wear in the film, and the makeup is awfully overdone. It's a shame since with the Friendship is Magic toyline, the Mane Six at least are typically available in forms that are more or less show-accurate.