Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

So currently in my design class, we're making 2013 calendars using Adobe InDesign (CS4 in class, and CS6 when I work on it at home). It needed to have a theme, and I couldn't think of much besides ponies. Thankfully I'm not the only one in class doing ponies. :P If you are interested, I exported my progress to a PDF and uploaded it to Google Drive. Here it is.

That is... AWESOME!

So, I went to Hastings today, and FINALLY got an MLP variant. I was very nervous, went to check out, and when I did... Nothing happened.

No weird looks, nothing.

I was worried about nothing. O_O

Just rewatched The Royal Wedding. If the compelling storyline to Daniel Ingram music wasn't what got manly tears out of me, the nostalgia trip from hearing Jaller and Roodaka's voices did.

Perhaps it's wrong of me but I'm completely unable to take Shining Armour's voice seriously. His voice is so similar to Jaller's and he even plays the role of the captain of the guards so it's impossible not to start laughing with glee every time he opens his mouth. Speaking of which, I don't think he's actually had a line of dialogue that hasn't made me crack a smile.

That and I expect him to just break character half way through a scene and scream "TAKUUUUUUUUUA!"

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

So currently in my design class, we're making 2013 calendars using Adobe InDesign (CS4 in class, and CS6 when I work on it at home). It needed to have a theme, and I couldn't think of much besides ponies. Thankfully I'm not the only one in class doing ponies. :P If you are interested, I exported my progress to a PDF and uploaded it to Google Drive. Here it is.

Really good! The only suggestion I could make would be standardizing the color schemes of the "date" half of the calendar. On some months it matches the background of the pony picture, whereas on others it matches the pony's mane or coat color, whereas it would make sense to match one or the other consistently throughout the whole calendar. Oh, and maybe replacing some holidays with their pony equivalents if it doesn't go against the rules of the assignment (Hearth's Warming Eve for Christmas Eve, Hearts and Hooves Day for Valentine's Day, etc.).Also, did you vector those ponies yourself? If so, that's especially impressive.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Really good! The only suggestion I could make would be standardizing the color schemes of the "date" half of the calendar. On some months it matches the background of the pony picture, whereas on others it matches the pony's mane or coat color, whereas it would make sense to match one or the other consistently throughout the whole calendar. Oh, and maybe replacing some holidays with their pony equivalents if it doesn't go against the rules of the assignment (Hearth's Warming Eve for Christmas Eve, Hearts and Hooves Day for Valentine's Day, etc.).Also, did you vector those ponies yourself? If so, that's especially impressive.

I used the eyedropper tool on all of them. I think it's that some are CMYK and some are RGB. I'll see what I can do to standardize it. :)

No, I didn't make them myself. I them from Google Searches. :P (except if you read the below paragraph)

I was getting the last few images yesterday when I counted that I only had 11... So I had to make one myself. Here is my simplistic Princess Celestia Wallpaper, made in Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended. If you need, feel free to request alternate resolutions. Hope you like it!

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

While I don't have the computer skills to pull this off, wouldn't it be sweet if someone made a MLP game using the MNOG engine? Just an idea, but I think it would work.

Has anyone even found a reliable way to mod it? I know the files are easily accessible & modable, but I haven't seen anything actually done with it.

Though I hear there have been flash games in a similar vein to the MNOLG, so it's probably an easy thing to recreate with any engine.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

While I don't have the computer skills to pull this off, wouldn't it be sweet if someone made a MLP game using the MNOG engine? Just an idea, but I think it would work.

Has anyone even found a reliable way to mod it? I know the files are easily accessible & modable, but I haven't seen anything actually done with it.

Though I hear there have been flash games in a similar vein to the MNOLG, so it's probably an easy thing to recreate with any engine.

Someone here was able to at least mod the dialogue, though I would think that if one could not mod it then they could just use the engine alone by removing the bionicle specific aspects of it, though that is probably the same thing when you think about it. Either way I am sure it is possible, though you do have a point in that there are similar things one could use, it just seems cooler when I think of it being based in the MNOG engine.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Sleepless in Ponyville can be described in two words: Cuteness. Overdose.

I also loved Princess Luna's role as a dream guide.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

While I really enjoyed this episode, it actually made me dislike Scootaloo even more than I already did.

Let me try to explain this dichotomy: I've always adored the concept of a dreamscape, largely due to the Echoes from the Edge series and the movie Inception. So seeing Luna's connection to dreams, as well as the distortion effect around Scootaloo after she realized that she was in a dream, put me in nerd heaven. Plus, Sweetie and Rarity were both in top form this episode, which created plenty of openings for cute and funny moments.

However, Scootaloo's characterization focused on the aspects of her that most annoy me. It really bugs me how Scootaloo hid her fear, especially bearing in mind that she didn't realize that the Olden Pony was a nightmare until the second half of the episode. Hiding the fact that someone was apparently out to kill her wasn't brave; it was just stupid. Yes, I know that kids are irrational sometimes, but I doubt that anyone would have kept quiet after being hunted down and cornered.

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

While I really enjoyed this episode, it actually made me dislike Scootaloo even more than I already did.

Let me try to explain this dichotomy: I've always adored the concept of a dreamscape, largely due to the Echoes from the Edge series and the movie Inception. So seeing Luna's connection to dreams, as well as the distortion effect around Scootaloo after she realized that she was in a dream, put me in nerd heaven. Plus, Sweetie and Rarity were both in top form this episode, which created plenty of openings for cute and funny moments.

However, Scootaloo's characterization focused on the aspects of her that most annoy me. It really bugs me how Scootaloo hid her fear, especially bearing in mind that she didn't realize that the Olden Pony was a nightmare until the second half of the episode. Hiding the fact that someone was apparently out to kill her wasn't brave; it was just stupid. Yes, I know that kids are irrational sometimes, but I doubt that anyone would have kept quiet after being hunted down and cornered.

It could be that she knew it was a dream when she was awake, but did not know this while in the dream. I can vouch for this because I dream frequently, but there are times when I am dreaming and had no idea until after I was awake.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

So wait... Was Luna real, or just a part of the dream?

I'm going to lean on the side of Luna being real, given that the princess informed Scootaloo that she was having a dream. After all, it should be impossible for a part of Scootaloo's dream to have information that Scootaloo did not already know. Although, I suppose one could make the argument that she was already subconsciously aware that she was having a dream and Luna materialized as a mechanism to convey that information. It's kind of similar to how Scootaloo was able to insert Dash as a form of protection. But honestly, we both know that the fans are going to assume that Luna was real regardless. :P

Samhain - "It could be that she knew it was a dream when she was awake, but did not know this while in the dream. I can vouch for this because I dream frequently, but there are times when I am dreaming and had no idea until after I was awake."

True...I've had similar experiences with dreams, and as I said before I'm a bit biased against Scootaloo. The bigger issue for me is that she never seems to notice how narcissistic and selfish Dash can be...single-minded people bug me, I guess. :shrugs:

P.S. Does anyone know how to make these new quote boxes work?

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

I loved loved loved this episode, but at the same time there are some things about it that I couldn't help but notice. For instance, Scootaloo's family/home life is still a complete mystery! Are we meant to assume that she's just a street urchin? Or is her family just being kept hidden due to importance in a plotline the writers haven't had time to explore?Anyway, Luna being able to visit people in dreams once again motivates me to try writing a crossover fanfic of MLP:FiM and Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. I have had ideas in the past, but of course where I struggle as always is putting ideas together into a story where things actually happen.Rainbow Dash really was treated well in this episode, I think. Sure, she still has quite the ego, but it's clear that she really does care about other ponies, in that she's willing to drop her air of confidence enough to tell Scootaloo about something that still embarrasses her. And you get the idea that she was telling the spooky stories because, as Pinkie Pie would say, "Sometimes, it's fun to be scared!" If she and her friends realized the stories were affecting Scootaloo so profoundly, then perhaps Rainbow Dash would have been hesitant to stop telling them, but Rarity and AJ would surely have spoken up on her behalf.On a side note, the conclusion was equal parts heartwarming and hilarious.

So wait... Was Luna real, or just a part of the dream?

Who says she can't have been both?

In any case, this episode seems like it definitely represents a shift in Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's relationship, and these kinds of changes to the status quo are part of why I'm loving this season so much. Of course it's still unclear how dramatic this shift is, partly because the extent of it is related to whether or not Scootaloo actually has a home and parents. If not, I'd assume Rainbow Dash's "taking her under her wing" could also entail actually letting Scootaloo staying with her at her place from now on.

I'm not counting on it, but it's possible that we might get at least some answers next week, seeing as it'll be a Rainbow Dash episode, so Scootaloo may well appear again.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Okay, my thoughts on this episode...it was...interesting. Definitely so. I loved that scene in the first dream sequence where Scootaloo's running through the forest and spies Luna through the trees. The animation alone in this episode was fantastic and showed the sheer level of care that's being put into each new instalment in the series.

As for the characters, I thought the interactions between everyone were hilarious. The dynamic between Dash and Scoots was both adorable and heartwarming towards the end, particularly the almost-final scene. It was also nice to finally have an episode about Scootaloo who must have originally been the most ignored side character of them all.

But really the one thing that left me uncertain was Luna's presence. I mean, I'm the last one to complain about pandering because I don't think the producers would ever want to do that but it just felt a bit strange that she was getting involved. It was nice to see her and all but I can't help but feel she was a little out of place.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

So does that mean Fighting is Magic could be gone too?

Wow, I never considered that. I really hope not. Still, there have been a lot of fan games (along with other media) that have been successfully released. It might have just been the sheer size of MLP Online. To be honest, I'm a bit hazy on what the law covers as 'shutdownable'.

Edited by High Voltage

(still hasn't seen any season 3. :()

Anyways, I finished the calendar I was making for my multimedia design class. A+ :) Check it out, and feel free to download and print it. Thoughts or comments? :D

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

So um... There's a screenshot of someone who works on MLP talking about S3 and S4...

Apparently Derpy won't appear AT ALL in S4, and Twilight becomes an Alicorn princess.

Could be fake though.

If that happens, I may stop watching the show. I don't wanna have Princess Twilicorn Sparkle. And FiM without Derpy = http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/3452958_o.gif

I hope that it's fake.

So um... There's a screenshot of someone who works on MLP talking about S3 and S4...

Apparently Derpy won't appear AT ALL in S4, and Twilight becomes an Alicorn princess.

Could be fake though.

We have some actual legit evidence of Twilight becoming an alicorn being a possibility, but personally I wouldn't have any problem with that as it seems like it would fit with her overall narrative. If it is done to sell toys, what difference does that make? That's an INHERENT characteristic of any toys-first merchandise-driven franchise. BIONICLE was that same way for almost all of its life.

Meanwhile, while I wouldn't be totally surprised if either of those events came to pass, I think the "screenshot" is a hoax. Frankly, if a person knew what was yet to come in the series, and knew they could LOSE THEIR JOB for posting anything, why would they post only the two things that fans are already worrying about/predicting based on stuff we've already seen? It just seems unconvincing, much like the fake episode descriptions for Ninjago Season 2 that appeared earlier this year, or the name "Daniel" Rocka that appeared on Wikipedia. Frankly, it's just a little bit suspicious when alleged "spoilers" seem to be put together almost entirely from things that we already suspect/expect.

Wow, I never considered that. I really hope not. Still, there have been a lot of fan games (along with other media) that have been successfully released. It might have just been the sheer size of MLP Online. To be honest, I'm a bit hazy on what the law covers as 'shutdownable'.

Yeah, apparently they are only obligated to oppose "counterfeit" products that are already in the "market", although it's still baffling how a real-world company could be threatened by a fan-made, nfp project. The Fighting is Magic team has already said that they do not plan to release the game until it is mostly complete, so hopefully we'll still get a working version even if Hasbro decides to prosecute it.

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

Yeah, apparently they are only obligated to oppose "counterfeit" products that are already in the "market", although it's still baffling how a real-world company could be threatened by a fan-made, nfp project. The Fighting is Magic team has already said that they do not plan to release the game until it is mostly complete, so hopefully we'll still get a working version even if Hasbro decides to prosecute it.

Fanmade games have been shut down even before release. Just ask the people who have tried to make Pokemon fighters.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

Snoring Rainbow Dash is whinny. :P

As for the late season 3/early season 4 spoiler posted up earlier...

I'll wait for more sources. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Fanmade games have been shut down even before release. Just ask the people who have tried to make Pokemon fighters.

That's a good point, and I agree that is completely possible that Hasbro will go on the defensive and start hunting down projects.However, there's a big difference between a company being obligated by law to do something and a company acting on it's own initiative. Since Gamefreak is a video game company, they probably feel more threatened by fan-made content and are more likely to shut down projects on their own time (Disney is another example). Hasbro has had a pretty "hands off" approach to fans, and it seems that they were basically forced to do something about "Equestria Online" to keep their copyright.At least, that's how my logic works, heavens know how people think in lawyerdom. :P

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]