Electronics in the Manas Set

Illuminatus

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing a used Manas set where one of the receiver units is reportedly damaged. Now the owner claims that it could be easily fixed but I personally have very limited knowledge of electronics so I'll most likely resort to ordering a working receiver unit instead.

My question is, is every receiver unit compatible with every remote control or would I need to modify the receiver unit in any way?

Thanks.

I, too, am in the market for Manas electronics. I was able to build the orange one entirely from a box of scraps I bought a while back, and found almost all of the yellow one, sans the motor box.

The receiver box has three modes: 1, 2, and 3. You can switch the frequency by twisting it with an axle. The remote can be adjusted to control frequency 1, 2, 3, and all. That last setting allows the remote to control both Manas even if they're on different frequencies, such as 1 and 3.

I don't know what else you would be able to do to fix it if there's a deeper problem, but the frequency is really easy to adjust. As long as the remote puts out a signal and the receiver picks up a signal, and you have working batteries in it, you should be good to go.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It's unfortunate when you get sets where the pieces didn't age well. It's hard to find piraka spines that haven't been twisted into hideous malformed shapes that never look right when placed on the figure. And working light bricks? Could you even replace the batteries in those?

Not without damaging them. I may have once seen a fan-created method of doing so once, but it would still cause damage.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

It's unfortunate when you get sets where the pieces didn't age well. It's hard to find piraka spines that haven't been twisted into hideous malformed shapes that never look right when placed on the figure. And working light bricks? Could you even replace the batteries in those?

Lime green sockets certainly didn't age well. :v

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

not easy but the seal is so tight that its not always worth risking big fracture in the brick.

i discovered that toa inika on the other hand its easy to remove the lightbox in the weapons and switch colors

for example nuparus drill would benefit from earth green laser while the red works better in jallers sword. same goes for hahli and kongu lightbox swapping

qs3135.jpg

Out of curiosity, what were you going to pay for Manas? I’ve wanted the set ever since it first came out, but its inflated price tag both at launch and in the aftermarket kept me from getting it at any point as a kid. (It’s funny how we later got bigger sets with a lower retail price. Vezon & Kardas had 670 parts and an MSRP of $69.99 while Manas had 454 parts and some retailers charged as much as $100.)

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

On 10/20/2018 at 5:06 PM, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

(It’s funny how we later got bigger sets with a lower retail price. Vezon & Kardas had 670 parts and an MSRP of $69.99 while Manas had 454 parts and some retailers charged as much as $100.)

It's worth noting that the electronics in the Manas set would have considerably bumped up the production costs (and the subsequent RRP). If the Vezon and Kardas set had included some sort of RC control, we'd probably be looking at $170 at least.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a dum-dum - the price would be far closer to $110. Not sure how I screwed up so badly with the math...

Edited by Distorted

(It’s funny how we later got bigger sets with a lower retail price. Vezon & Kardas had 670 parts and an MSRP of $69.99 while Manas had 454 parts and some retailers charged as much as $100.)

It's worth noting that the electronics in the Manas set would have considerably bumped up the production costs (and the subsequent RRP). If the Vezon and Kardas set had included some sort of RC control, we'd probably be looking at $170 at least.

But by that much?

On 10/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, Cheesy Mac n Cheese said:

But by that much?

Absolutely - for the Manas, they had to design a bespoke RC brick and remote, design production moulds for the plastic parts of the RC brick and remote, source the electronic components, find a way of mass-installing the electronic components within the plastic parts on the production line, etc.

Consider this: even if the Vezon and Kardas set had used Power Functions parts (which came out a year later, but let's pretend they came out in 2006 for argument's sake), a full set of two PF M motors, a PF battery box, a PF IR reciever and a PF transmitter still retails for about $47.50. And that's just one set of RC parts - the Manas had two RC bricks and remotes per set!

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a dum-dum - the price would be far closer to $110. Not sure how I screwed up so badly with the math...

Edited by Distorted