LEGO Overwatch Sets Will Not Be Buildable Figures

I held out hope for as long as possible but today my dreams of LEGO Overwatch constraction sets have been shattered. In a tweet on the Overwatch account you can check out a twenty-seven second teaser showing off Tracer in minifigure form. If I had to guess, we'll see the full reveal at BlizzCon, which takes place in exactly one month. I am interested to see how this partnership works out - Overwatch is very popular but it remains to be seen as to how it will mesh with our favorite building toy.

View the full article

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would suspect that this would be a constraction-only theme in the first place. There has only ever been one licensed theme that had a constraction theme without an accompanying System theme, and that was Ben 10 (not exactly the picture of success). I don't know exactly how likely Overwatch constraction sets ever would have been (I had assumed that, like the vast majority of licensed themes, it would probably be System-only), but a teaser featuring a minifigure hardly disproves the possibility of one..

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I know that you guys want Overwatch constraction, but to be honest, it’s not happening because constraction is like no longer there next year. It’s just that I see constraction failing in this decade. Look at what happened to Bionicle G1, Bionicle G2, Hero Factory, Ben 10, DC Super Hero Ultrabuilds, Marvel Super Hero ones, Legends of Chima ones, and now Star Wars. They aren’t as a good Bionicle G1 used to last decade. This decade is bad for constraction. I’m sorry, but this is how it is and will be. It seems that Lego is not focusing on constraction so much. This is a dark age or Great Depression for constraction, so it will become nothing next year.:(

Let’s hope that constraction will be revived in at least summer 2019 or 2020.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

So is BZP dead now?

Why you say that? Just because we don’t have constraction next year, doesn’t mean you could feel that way. I mean, we are constraction fans at heart, so we should keep up with conversations and posts.

Anyway, I always try to post fun stuff, but people don’t post much in my topics.:(

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I don't see it. There's still a possibility that there could be buildable figures in the future - it's just that they've only revealed a minifigure so far. We can still wildly speculate whatever because there's no definite information about this hypothetical line here.

...and BZP isn't going anywhere. There are enough of us willing to talk about other LEGO stuff here.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

While at this point the first wave of Overwatch sets is known not to have CCBS/Technic-based buildable figure sets and I am not really expecting them in future waves, I don't really care for the way this article and headline frame as a disappointment/letdown what on most other sites was an exciting or at least intriguing announcement/reveal. It feels like the sort of very narrowly focused editorializing that has made FBTB's news articles such an unpleasant reading experience for years now (I can't remember the last time anything I read there offered any kind of valuable insights or perspectives to people who didn't share the admins' likes and dislikes to a fault).

• Upvote 1