Pure Black Skrall Shield?

Takanuinuva

Bricklink has a listing for a Skrall Shield without the red markings. I'm wondering if it actually exists or is just a regular one with the red printing removed. And I'm wondering what is with the rusty mark on the right side of it.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=64271#T=S&C=11&O={%22color%22:11,%22rpp%22:%22500%22,%22iconly%22:0}

One of the listings has it with a metallic silver pattern.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Bricklink has a listing for a Skrall Shield without the red markings. I'm wondering if it actually exists or is just a regular one with the red printing removed. And I'm wondering what is with the rusty mark on the right side of it.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=64271#T=S&C=11&O={"color":11,"rpp":"500","iconly":0}

One of the listings has it with a metallic silver pattern.

All black is a misprint. It was mists kingly produced and put into some skrall sets. I've never heard of a silver one. My guess would be its from a bootleg set. Or It might be a prototype. The orange spot is a glar from the camera.

All black is a misprint. It was mists kingly produced and put into some skrall sets.

Is that a misprint too?  :P

And is it not possible that someone deliberately removed the red to make it look like they have some rare part?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

All black is a misprint. It was mists kingly produced and put into some skrall sets.

Is that a misprint too?  :P

And is it not possible that someone deliberately removed the red to make it look like they have some rare part?

It could be. But to remove all of the red without damaging any of the black at all would be difficult and time consuming i think. And if we question whether people can edit pieces to make them look rare, then we should also discredit many other rare misprints such as the 5 hole kraahkan (I imagine it's ridiculously easy to just make a hole in a 4 hole kraahkan). 

i have a big suspicion could be spraypainted

It could be. I think a big factor is whether the entire shield is silver, or just the pattern. If the whole shield is silver, it probably is painted. If just the pattern is, I think that's too time-consuming for anyone to do and sell it for so little.

Well, how do they get the red onto it?

I'm not sure. It's probably painted on, but they could have just used two colors when injecting the color into the shield. Painting over it would be noticeable, and if it was painted on, then someone would likely need acetone or nail polish remover to remove the paint. This is time-consuming, and has a high likelihood of eating through the plastic or warping it. Dying the shield is a possibility, but i think this is all too much work for a misprint that sells for 50 cents i think. Plus like I said, if we're thinking about misprints being faked, then most colored mask misprints can be made by redying (a few exceptions such as the pearl gold kraahkan and a few others). Where the 5 hole kraahkan can be made by punching a hole through a 4 hole kraahkan. These misprints would take the same difficulty to forge as the all black shield (in my opinion) and sell for a lot more. So should we consider any misprint that sells here or elsewhere to be a fake? 

Edited by ToaDume
  • Upvote 1