Shadows Review Topic

a goose

@Automaton: Or be mercilessly slaughtered by the zombie horde.@Wotsiznaim: Who indeed?Thankyou. XPIncommodo's tendency to break the Fourth Wall has payed off.Thankyou.What about the cliffhanger in Chapter 8?Italics always change the game.Thanks. :)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Raanu! Huzzah! But wouldn't Incommodo and Pirok know him already, what with his being the leader of the Agori and all?Short chapter, bit of a story scene. Can't beat zombies, but still good.

Yes, but Raanu won't know them. :sly:Yeah, it is a bit short, but we're coming right up to the end now. Next chapter'll be the beginning of the Final Stand.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

So ... newest chapter.It doesn't provide much awesome really. Everything seems so ... rushed.But meh, it was awesome anyway.

Looks rushed, but a lot longer than other chapters.And it needed to be rushed. Too many little details could ruin plot-related surprises.But, look on the bright side, the Epilogue will provide quite a bit of 'awesome'. :evilgrin:... And a new villain. Well, I say 'new'... you yourself have already encountered him...

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

I know for a fact that Reichenbach is the villain of Dark Mirror, because you said so to Automaton in Po-Wahi.I missed two chapters! OMG!This battle seemed a bit like it was supposed to be really epic, but just felt a bit rushed. It could do with some paragraphs inside the character's head or describing what was going on or even just longer fights, but it just wasn't as good as the chapters leading up to it. Vorex's death especially was... Ugh...On the plus side, the universe is fixed. Hooray!

I know for a fact that Reichenbach is the villain of Dark Mirror, because you said so to Automaton in Po-Wahi.I missed two chapters! OMG!This battle seemed a bit like it was supposed to be really epic, but just felt a bit rushed. It could do with some paragraphs inside the character's head or describing what was going on or even just longer fights, but it just wasn't as good as the chapters leading up to it. Vorex's death especially was... Ugh...On the plus side, the universe is fixed. Hooray!

Oh well. XPYes, yes you did.Yeah, not the best battle-writer.Hey, who the Karz said Vorex died? :sly:Face it, we're dealing with one of the most powerful beings in the universe. You think the nameless Matoran can push him into a vat of lava and be done with it? Happy days, the tyrant who's been attempting to destroy the universe is dead!... Eh, no. Vorex's death was meant to seem not-quite-right.Yay! The universe is fixed!It is fixed, right? Right?I won't even give you spoilers in small text. You think I'm that stupid?

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

You're getting a bit off-topic there, Wotz.Anyhow, as some of you already know, Epilogue is written, will be up tomorrow, Dark Mirror will be up once I've got a banner and/or manage to figure out how Blender works to make my own temporary one. :)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

So, Reich is back. Hopefully he won't be as annoying as he is in the RPG.Explosions! :happydance: The title is making more sense now that I read your sig. Good epic, kind of went a bit downhill after the zombies (which ROCKED) but the epilogue is interesting. It was your first (I think?) so I have to say it lived up to the term 'epic' for most of the tale. Hope the next is even better!

So, Reich is back. Hopefully he won't be as annoying as he is in the RPG.Explosions! :happydance: The title is making more sense now that I read your sig. Good epic, kind of went a bit downhill after the zombies (which ROCKED) but the epilogue is interesting. It was your first (I think?) so I have to say it lived up to the term 'epic' for most of the tale. Hope the next is even better!

I wouldn't count on it. XPExplosions indeed.The title of the next one will make much more sense after the prologue.I know it went a bit downhill, but that was due to a badly thought-out ending. Dark Mirror (well, Part I at least) is pretty much set in stone.It was my first epic, yes.The next should be better... :evilgrin:

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Read the last set of chapters, and I have to admire the witty lines. One thing I've noticed from reading this is that it seems artificial - whenever you get to a portion that can't be easily resolved by a fistfight or a witty quote, you insert random things into your epic. For example, the Toa are locked in a prison, and they just happen to meet a Turaga who just happens to tell them how to use the Paradox disk to get out. May I use the word deau ex machina? You have a lot of those. I guess this is semi-melodramatic, but still. Also, you randomly insert back story at will. This feels really forced. It doesn't feel natural - "I'm just going to throw in some random backstory here, because I need it". You use your "machina" and "backstory" as crutches to get you through whatever scene you're in. (I think you openly admitted to that :)). I think you are used to RPGing, where other characters would insert these artificial devices for you. Sadly, I don't follow the RPG, but I do follow stories, and in a story the story usually comes from the characters and moves along logically without relying on randomly inserted artificial plot devices. You might want to tone those down a bit; it might make your story more enjoyable to read.

Okay.The 'Deus Ex Machina's should be explained later. Especially the Turaga, he's important.Yes, I do. I add backstory in as parts of chapters, so in some cases it's both the story and the backstory that are being continued in a chapter. Not really 'crutches'.However, there was one chapter in which I put the backstory of the three main protagonists, and I admitted that I put it there because I'd taken out a scene and needed something to replace it.Now, these 'artificial devices'; you've mentioned them a few tiimes. I assume you are unaware that there is a sequel. Shadows is the first part of a trilogy.Not all of these are Deus Ex Machinas. I bring your attention to the Matoran introduced in the first few chapters, who Wotsiznaim immediately named a 'cheap plot device'.Within a few chapters, that Matoran had become one of the main characters.Just FYI, Deus Ex Machinas are specifically banned from the BZPRPG. So they wouldn't be coming from that.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Okay.The 'Deus Ex Machina's should be explained later. Especially the Turaga, he's important.Yes, I do. I add backstory in as parts of chapters, so in some cases it's both the story and the backstory that are being continued in a chapter. Not really 'crutches'.However, there was one chapter in which I put the backstory of the three main protagonists, and I admitted that I put it there because I'd taken out a scene and needed something to replace it.Now, these 'artificial devices'; you've mentioned them a few tiimes. I assume you are unaware that there is a sequel. Shadows is the first part of a trilogy.Not all of these are Deus Ex Machinas. I bring your attention to the Matoran introduced in the first few chapters, who Wotsiznaim immediately named a 'cheap plot device'.Within a few chapters, that Matoran had become one of the main characters.Just FYI, Deus Ex Machinas are specifically banned from the BZPRPG. So they wouldn't be coming from that.

I am perfectly aware that there is a sequel. I look forward to reading it and understanding the truth behind everything. It just feels random. Does this story have a meaning? A point, ofher than to make witty lines in the midst of strange battles? I seem to be missing it.