What is Christian Faber Planning?

2019-04-04_14B2020_teaser.png

On Monday Bionicle co-creator Christian Faber made an Instagram post of what could be interpreted as a Bionicle Gen 3 logo with the caption, "What if there is an undiscovered way back? A secret path to reset destiny. How many of you would join? #14B2020 The wave of inspiration from one single post is totally amazing. You are the best! This is all the fuel anybody could wish for!" Given the date, most believed this was just an April Fools joke, but it seems that there could more. The post has since gained eight hundred likes and over three hundred comments, including some interesting and mysterious replies from Mr. Faber. Read on to see more!

View the full article

• Upvote 2

Given that I don't have an Instagram account and don't currently plan on getting one, I'll post my thoughts here instead.

Do I fully believe that G3 is coming next year and this post is proof of that? No. I think it will be safer to temper my expectations at this point.

That being said, I would totally be behind Bionicle getting a G3 in 2020. I just hope that they don't retread past mistakes.

For the story, I hope it gets delivered in a more convenient form than G1 like a TV show so it can reach a broader audience. Plus, I hope it does not suffer the "too little, too late" problem that G2 had thanks to its slow first year and lore-phobic tendencies.

Set-wise, I hope that it doesn't suffer from the G1 clone set/generic build problems. I also hope that they don't upsize the entire line as they did in G2, where the core line was now the size and price of G1 Titans and the small sets now the size of the G1 core line. As much as I love the G2 Toa sets, I can't deny that they were pretty expensive to collect. Or I wouldn't mind a completely new approach to sets in the line, like having more System brick integration (it's not like all the mech pieces from lines like Ninjago can't be used to build a decent stand-alone figure or don't already mix in a bunch of CCBS parts), or having the main line be minifig scale (granted this is more of a personal preference stemming from the fact that Hero Factory Invasion from Below line is one of my favorite buildable figure waves ever and my love of the settings in Bionicle).

Moving on, a big reason why a G3 launching in 2020 would be great is the writing on the wall that the initial incarnation of Ninjago is wrapping up this year. Between the current sets being a celebration of the line up to now, the original writers moving on to other projects, and the teasers for the next season indicating a conclusion of some kind, all signs point to this being the case. I don't doubt that there will be a Ninjago revival sometime in the future, but I feel like the line will have a hiatus before its relaunch. That leaves a slot open in the market for an action-based story-focused Lego line, and what better way to fill them than a new incarnation of Bionicle? G1 filled that role before Ninjago anyway. If G3 launches with a decent TV show to fill the Ninjago void, I can see this iteration succeeding where G2 failed. And in some cases, it can succeed in areas where G1 failed as well. 

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Christian Faber is a brilliant artist and has an incredible imagination. For all of G2's flaws, I feel the biggest mistake was the noticeable absence of Faber. They have a visual style that conveys mystery and self-importance in a completely earnest but exciting way that I don't see often. They can make a bizarre concept work completely straight-faced and construct a visual mythology that's instantly captivating.

Given that they were the one who came up with the initial inspiration for Bionicle I'm so excited to see that they're still interested in the IP and trust their vision for a G3 with a great deal of confidence.

To be honest, what's more exciting to me about this is that Christian Faber has got ideas and is working to make them come to fruition. I love following Rebel Nature because of how promising and visually interesting everything that comes out of that project looks. I sometimes wonder how much of a Bionicle fan and how much of a Christian Faber fan I am, and just how big that overlap might be. I really just want to see them working and creating because their stuff is truly inspirational to me, both artistically and personally. Whether that means they're working on Bionicle or something else, I don't actually think I care that much. Nonetheless, this is promising and exciting, even if it doesn't really end up going anywhere!

• Upvote 1

Faber and Farshtey having such a limit amount of impact were both issues to me. 

I greatly enjoyed G2's takes on the Mata, and the return of gear functions, but 20-something me couldn't stay interested without such a solid story/universe as G1.

Cautious optimism as always.

qs30495.jpg

Your article says "unofficial", but I don't know. With Faber's connections it could lead to another round with LEGO given time. In the interim, if something does come of this, I wonder if we could get buildable characters we can add to our own collections.

Re. story, I remain loyal to G1 and a potential continuation/soft reboot. But I also see enormous potential inside the MU; we do have 101,001 years of MU existence to work with. Those guys know how to design a versatile lore one can do a lot with, so there is no reason whatsoever not to use it.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!