What happened to Vakama’s disk launcher and Nokamas hydro blades?

So Vakama and Nokama chose to use a badge of office staff from their Matoran life - the mask-masking firestaff and the fishing trident, respectively.

However, all the other Toa Metru had their Metru weapons transform into their Turaga Badges of Office. So my question is, what happened to Vakama’s Disk Launcher and Nokama’s Hydro Blades if they didn’t transform with them?

I don't think there's ever been an official answer for this, so it's probably a question for Greg.

If I had to guess, I'd assume Vakama's Toa tool would've transformed into a smaller, non-jetpack disk launcher - which wouldn't serve much use on Mata Nui, without Kanoka. He also used his firestaff on occasion while he was a Toa for channeling fire, so it seems as appropriate a choice as his disk launcher for his Badge of Office, even if it wasn't officially his Toa tool.

As for Nokama, it was probably as simple as her preferring a tool of education (a trident like the one she used to teach with) to a weapon, once she was no longer a Toa.

Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

Vakama's disk launcher was destroyed by The Shadowed One in Time Trap.

Toa Vakama was about to die.

His flight pack was so badly damaged that it would not even function as a Kanoka disk launcher anymore.

Bionicle Adventures 10: Time Trap, page 112.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. And the true heart can tough the poison of hatred, without being harmed. Since beginingless time darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." - The Lion Turtle, Avatar the Last Airbender.

Z8Tqp.gifsXuai.gif

Christmas Dragon!

Vakama's disk launcher was destroyed by The Shadowed One in Time Trap.

Toa Vakama was about to die.

His flight pack was so badly damaged that it would not even function as a Kanoka disk launcher anymore.

Bionicle Adventures 10: Time Trap, page 112.
Well, don't I feel a fool :P

sigbanner.gif

Well, don't I feel a fool :P

No worries. Remembering obscure stuff like that is kinda my thing.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. And the true heart can tough the poison of hatred, without being harmed. Since beginingless time darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." - The Lion Turtle, Avatar the Last Airbender.

Z8Tqp.gifsXuai.gif

Christmas Dragon!

Wasn’t Nokama’s Trident a new one, as opposed to the one she used as a teacher? She made it out of the bones of a Makuta Fish, a species which wasn’t discovered until the Toa Metru’s first trip to Mata Nui in Voyage of Fear.

Unless her making it out of bones was retconned or something. The Encyclopedia should provide a conclusive answer.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Wasn’t Nokama’s Trident a new one, as opposed to the one she used as a teacher? She made it out of the bones of a Makuta Fish, a species which wasn’t discovered until the Toa Metru’s first trip to Mata Nui in Voyage of Fear.

Unless her making it out of bones was retconned or something. The Encyclopedia should provide a conclusive answer.

She made it out of Makutafish bones, but in the style of the one she used for teaching on Metru Nui.

sigbanner.gif

The relation between the Metru/Hordika weapons and the Turaga staffs feels really arbitrary to me. Two weapons transforming into one, etc. It's something kind of small that the fandom seems a little too concerned about. I think it's easier to just assume the Metru used their weapons in contruction of the koro and crafted their staffs as something new. Even if they had sentimental value, it would have been too risky with the chance of a Matoran discovering it.

The only thing I do find interesting to find out what happened to is Vakama's Toa disk. One of the most powerful scenes in BL8 was Vakama Hordika keeping his Toa disk as a symbol of the past.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Vakama was a master at hiding things, both secrets and physical objects. Remember in the second movie where things shrink into his back when he latches them there? Maybe he has a hammerspace port back there where he stores secret possessions, like the Makuta store their extra mass when they shapeshift smaller. Maybe that’s where he kept the Vahi as well as his Toa Disk, and maybe the other Toa Disks too.

I’m kidding, of course. It’s possible, though, that the Toa Disks were given to Dume for safekeeping. The Turaga knew they’d reveal the truth to the Matoran one day, but keeping the disks on hand might give it away too early, and having them stored in Metru Nui would have provided some proof of their stories once they got back.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

I can buy Whenua's, Nuju's and Matau's tools being transformed into their badges of office, but I don't get why Onewa's hammer is considered to have been transformed from his proto pitons (which share no functional similarities). As a Matoran, he used a hammer identical to the one he held as a Turaga, just like Vakama and Nokama did with their own tools, so it would make a lot more sense for him to also use his old Matoran tool. Has it ever been explicitly stated anywhere that his tools just transformed into the hammer?

I just realized that all of the Turaga staffs (firestaff, trident, hammer, ice pick, buzzsaw, drill) are things that any of the Matoran of those respective villages would have used, just attached to a walking stick. My new headcanon is that that's what they are.

• Upvote 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I can buy Whenua's, Nuju's and Matau's tools being transformed into their badges of office, but I don't get why Onewa's hammer is considered to have been transformed from his proto pitons (which share no functional similarities). As a Matoran, he used a hammer identical to the one he held as a Turaga, just like Vakama and Nokama did with their own tools, so it would make a lot more sense for him to also use his old Matoran tool. Has it ever been explicitly stated anywhere that his tools just transformed into the hammer?

I think they actually show it happening at the end of the second movie, though I may be confusing it with Takua’s kolhii stick becoming the Staff of Light in the first one.

(That reminds me, the Staff of Light was obviously intended by the set designers to be the Chronicler’s Staff unfolded. Why didn’t they do that in the movie?)

I think they actually show it happening at the end of the second movie, though I may be confusing it with Takua’s kolhii stick becoming the Staff of Light in the first one.

(That reminds me, the Staff of Light was obviously intended by the set designers to be the Chronicler’s Staff unfolded. Why didn’t they do that in the movie?)

I just checked... in the movie scene, the Toa tools are nowhere in sight but, curiously, Vakama and Nokama's staffs appear to simply grow out of their empty hands during the transformation process. I would tend to attribute that, though, more to artistic license than anything else.

We don't see full shots of any of the other Metru transforming; but they are all empty-handed before, and have staffs in hand after.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."