2004 Sets in the US

I'm trying to figure a few things out about the early 2004 sets as they came out in the US.

Am I missing something or did none of Toa Metru come with mini CDs at all? Did they all just have Kanoka Club cards?

And did any of them come with a mini booklet similar to the ones included in previous sets like the Rahkshi? From what I can tell, these types of booklets generally came in two versions: an international one without captions and a North American one with captions. I am 100% sure this applies to the following booklets, judging by what's listed on BrickLink as well as things I've personally seen:

• Early Bohrok booklet (with "LEGO Technic" printed on the cover)
  • Regular Bohrok booklet
  • Toa Nuva booklet
  • Bohrok-Kal booklet
  • Rahkshi booklet

And now 2004 is when things get weird, as there are two international versions of the Metru Nui booklet (meaning without captions): one focusing on the Matoran sets and the other focusing on the Toa Metru sets. Of these two, only the former appears to be listed on BrickLink, while the other listed entry has an entirely different inventory number, implying that it's the North American edition of either the Matoran or Toa Metru booklet.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there were in fact two North American booklets: one for the Matoran and one for the Toa Metru. I saw US eBay listings of Matoran, most of which come with a Rahkshi booklet, and fewer with a Metru Nui booklet. As for the Toa Metru, I haven't seen one with a booklet at all.

Edited by Illuminatus

Yeah, the US release of the Toa Metru never came with CDs at all - they were Europe only.

Your findings with the minicomics seem correct - I only ever got the Matoran version of the comic. In fact, I had no idea there was an alternate Toa Metru one lol. Ive long assumed my Metru Nui minicomics came packaged with my Toa Metru, but considering the ebay listings you found, combined with the fact mine are all the Matoran version, it seems a safe bet they came from my Matoran sets.

If you're able to scan the Toa edition at some point, that would be great - BS01 and bmp only have the Matoran one (i believe from some scans i made many years ago).

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Yeah, the US release of the Toa Metru never came with CDs at all - they were Europe only.

Your findings with the minicomics seem correct - I only ever got the Matoran version of the comic. In fact, I had no idea there was an alternate Toa Metru one lol. Ive long assumed my Metru Nui minicomics came packaged with my Toa Metru, but considering the ebay listings you found, combined with the fact mine are all the Matoran version, it seems a safe bet they came from my Matoran sets.

If you're able to scan the Toa edition at some point, that would be great - BS01 and bmp only have the Matoran one (i believe from some scans i made many years ago).

Yes, the Toa and Matoran set comics differ, but only slightly. The only difference between the two (that I could find) is that the layout is slightly different.

• Upvote 1
RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

Thanks for the reply, Peri! :)

Can you tell me if the copy you have has this inventory number: 4229983?

Because if so, we can safely assume only one version exists of the Toa Metru booklet. Speaking of which, I only found out about it recently as well; as it turns out, it came in canisters without a CD (while mine all had one).

I'll go ahead and scan it sometime, although I'm 99% sure the "comic" part is identical; the only difference is the six pages displaying the Toa Metru sets instead of the Matoran.

I'd happily check the inventory number on mine - if i had access to it atm. Hopefully Planetperson has his more close at hand.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

• 2 weeks later...