Why Do You Still Hang Around?

Sybre

I'm not judging anyone at all; I'm just curious. Why are you still logging onto BZPower after all this time? What do you do around here? I'd love to hear your answers and see what cool things I can still do and talk about on this site.

The reason I still log on from time to time is mostly due to nostalgia. It's nice to look around a little bit, see my old posts, and wonder how everyone's doing nowadays. I also hope we get another surge of activity that breathes some more life into the forums, but a man can dream.

• Like 3

mindeth the cobwebs

Honestly yeah nostalgia is pretty big factor. I also personally just prefer forums to more modern forms of social media when it comes to having cohesive discussions about specific interests like this. Twitter, YouTube, etc. are great but it's really hard to follow the conversation sometimes. It's also only recently I found out really how far the community extends in these places, partly because such places make it a bit hard to find things like that.

As for surges of activity, I feel like we're in the midst of a little bit of one at least right now, with everyone coming back to check out the new forums. It's not much, but it's something. And despite the fact that I love how big the community out there is, sometimes it's nice to know almost everyone. 

And obviously, I wouldn't check back if I didn't at least have some interest in Bionicle.

• Like 5

The reason I’m still here is mainly that I want to finish posting my colossal epic (in terms of size, not necessarily quality), End of a Universe, Birth of a KingdomI’ve been working on it since 2013 (albeit with breaks lasting months, at times) and even though it is very time-consuming (and very few people read it) I would still like to finish it.

There are also other reasons, the main one being that even though it has been nearly 10 years since the end of BIONICLE (I prefer to pretend that Gen2 never existed), it still manages to stimulate my imagination. Even now, I can still think back to the storyline and try to fill plot holes and invent new details (something which I’ve done abundantly in my epic)... and whenever I rewatch a piece of Bionicle movie (well, the first three, at least), rediscover an old animation (the Templar ones are the absolute best) or listen to Bionicle music, it still strikes a chord. 

Of course, if I ever finish End of a Universe, Birth of a Kingdom, I’ll probably then leave for good. There are actually a couple more short epics I would like to write, but I seriously doubt I’ll ever find the time... and at some time one does have to put this childhood stuff behind, no matter how great it was back in the day. I admit I might re-evaluate this idea if Faber really pulls off some kind of reboot next year... but what are the chances of that?

• Like 4

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

I've got at least one essay on Nokama and Legends of Metru Nui that I smashed out a few months ago. I know of essentially no where else I could post the thing where it would be read, so I became a member! 

I ruminate on Bionicle about once a year or so, get back into it, discover it from a new angle (usually I remember a character who I hadn't thought of in years. In this case, it was Nokama). Then I leave it again when I remember everyone else has already moved on. Rinse, repeat. Having an account makes getting it out of my system easier, however.

• Like 2

This community for one thing. There are few things more exciting than speculating about a new theory or question and posting it and seeing the discussion that takes place.

I also love the epics and novels ppl put together (looking at you @Toa of Italy I'm very eager to see your tale to the end)

But mostly it is nostalgia, I love BIONICLE, probably more so than any other story I've ever gotten into (that's saying a lot since I love Star Wars and The Elder Scrolls, etc). And you guys help keep that little spark of BIONICLE alive, and I love returning to it and enjoying it with people who love it as much as I do.

• Like 4

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I used to frequent this place for the MOCs and art and theories. Even read (and wrote) a couple stories here and there. And though my love for Bionicle hasn't diminished, I have seen a lot of decline in those areas of the site, and most of the MOCs and art I find elsewhere anyway. Guess there's only so many times someone can ask what the difference between Stone and Earth is or come up with masks for obscure characters.

What's really kept me around is actually the RP forum. Probably not the biggest or most glamorous part of the site, but we're a tight-knit bunch that's really missed the forums in the downtime for our chance to play together and explore the world we love.

I also agree with Valendale in that forums are still just the most cohesive place to talk about anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Click said:

I used to frequent this place for the MOCs and art and theories. Even read (and wrote) a couple stories here and there. And though my love for Bionicle hasn't diminished, I have seen a lot of decline in those areas of the site, and most of the MOCs and art I find elsewhere anyway. Guess there's only so many times someone can ask what the difference between Stone and Earth is or come up with masks for obscure characters.

What's really kept me around is actually the RP forum. Probably not the biggest or most glamorous part of the site, but we're a tight-knit bunch that's really missed the forums in the downtime for our chance to play together and explore the world we love.

I also agree with Valendale in that forums are still just the most cohesive place to talk about anything.

Actually, we are the biggest and most glamorous part of the forums!

I can't stress enough that the BZPRPG and the RPG forums (BRPG and the criminally unloved crew at OTC) are the most important part of this website to me. Put aside the fact that we're the most prolific posters on the site by a gigantic margin, just the bonds the community has formed within itself over the last decade (or two, in some cases!!) are more than enough reason to keep dragging me back here even though the forums are hardly at the most lively they'll ever been. Even outside of the BZPRPG side of the forum, just looking at the gangs in Corpus, Skyrise, and the absolute legends holding down the fort in Rise of the Rockets in OTC is enough to show me the strength of the one-of-a-kind community we have going as RPers. I love everybody there like my family.

a community and family which you all should join at bzpower dot com slash board slash forum sixteen bionicle rpg and bzpower dot com slash board slash forum seventy nine off topic culture

we're always looking to add to the blood we bleed

-Tyler

• Like 5

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Actually, we are the biggest and most glamorous part of the forums!

I can't stress enough that the BZPRPG and the RPG forums (BRPG and the criminally unloved crew at OTC) are the most important part of this website to me. Put aside the fact that we're the most prolific posters on the site by a gigantic margin, just the bonds the community has formed within itself over the last decade (or two, in some cases!!) are more than enough reason to keep dragging me back here even though the forums are hardly at the most lively they'll ever been. Even outside of the BZPRPG side of the forum, just looking at the gangs in Corpus, Skyrise, and the absolute legends holding down the fort in Rise of the Rockets in OTC is enough to show me the strength of the one-of-a-kind community we have going as RPers. I love everybody there like my family.

a community and family which you all should join at bzpower dot com slash board slash forum sixteen bionicle rpg and bzpower dot com slash board slash forum seventy nine off topic culture

we're always looking to add to the blood we bleed

-Tyler

I've thought about joining an RPG or two back in high school (at least three years ago), but I felt intimidated by it. All the different topics representing locations, the rules, etc. made it feel like too much to get into. I figured I was better off running nearly-everything-goes PM-only RPs with a close group of friends on this forum.

But now that you're here answering my question, I feel inclined to go back and really read those RPG topics and see if it's something I want to do. If you guys really will have me, I'll stick to it the best I can.

mindeth the cobwebs

7 hours ago, Toa of Italy said:

The reason I’m still here is mainly that I want to finish posting my colossal epic (in terms of size, not necessarily quality), End of a Universe, Birth of a KingdomI’ve been working on it since 2013 (albeit with breaks lasting months, at times) and even though it is very time-consuming (and very few people read it) I would still like to finish it.

The number one reason I’m still on here is to read end of a universe, birth of a kingdom. When that finishes I’ll probably stop checking back as often. 

A secondary reason that seems seems more like a fantasy than anything else, is that I’ve always dreamed of having an SSKK. I’ll probably never get one, but I can make my post in buy/sell/trade and keep dreaming.

Well... three things, I guess.

- Nostalgia. BZ was a huuuuuge part of my teen years, and seeing the site still kicking around, still being able to get into the discussions and throw ideas around and share recollections like that WASN'T all of ten-plus years ago? It's just... great, honestly. It's just nice, too, to have somewhere I can still talk about this thing that meant so much to me back in the day; none of the other friends I've made in other places had any interest in Bionicle, so BZ's unique to me in that way. I guess the chance to share memories, as much as anything else, keeps me coming back.

- Inspiration. The Bionicle aesthetic has always been such a big inspiration to me; whenever I try my own story projects - even unrelated ones - you can bet there's at least SOME little thing in their DNA that couldn't have come from anywhere else except my love for the old MNOG aesthetic. Likewise, BZ was the first place where I ever tried my hand at seriously making up stories, and though my old work was awful - does anyone remember it? No? ...well, GOOD xD - it was still the beginnings of my creative journey, and I still find something of that *spark* to write when I'm on here. It's a big part of why I recently got myself involved in the RP forum here - and also why I have two different Bionicle epic projects slowly developing, though I can't guarantee either will ever see the light of day!

- And third... I just like the fact that Bionicle's become one of those things that's obscure to most people but has this tiny dedicated cult following, and it amuses me so much to be a part of that xD

Edited by Darth Jaller
  • Like 3

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 9/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, Sybre said:

I've thought about joining an RPG or two back in high school (at least three years ago), but I felt intimidated by it. All the different topics representing locations, the rules, etc. made it feel like too much to get into. I figured I was better off running nearly-everything-goes PM-only RPs with a close group of friends on this forum.

But now that you're here answering my question, I feel inclined to go back and really read those RPG topics and see if it's something I want to do. If you guys really will have me, I'll stick to it the best I can.

Always good to have some fresh faces around. Skyrise/Corpus has a Discord you could hop into to get some tips, and believe it or not we have been getting other new faces here and there in your same position. :)

to be honest, nostalgia every so often prompts me to check back into this place for a lil while. seeing the otc forum and familiar names from back when i was an active roleplayer is, idk, nice sometimes? y'know despite like, all the dumb things that went on that i ended up a part of way back when lol

otc as a subforum still feels like a new addition, never grew used to it bein there 

made me feel old when i realized the thread i had pinned in there was 8 years old which like, i was 16 when i wrote it 

been a wild ride albeit one i wouldnt ride again considerin all the bumps

Edited by Noxryn
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I feel like I come here just to gawk and to see if the website still exists. Got kinda spooked when I saw the error message from the old forums when trying to find them a few months ago. I really have nothing to say anymore that would be of value, and most of my interaction with people on the internet has become much more intimate, so most of my thoughts go into speaking with friends I've made. 

, the reason I joined this site in the first place was to talk to my friend over the internet before we discovered Discord or even used email to chat. But now he's long gone from here and hasn't logged on in probably about a year. I don't know, I sure don't pay attention. 

I really think it's the fact that I'm still technically a member of a community that I stay. Some sort of obligation. I never really felt like I integrated, but with something like a forum, you're either in the in-crowd or you isolate yourself. I really only ever posted in the Games section, in the threads that really didn't require much effort into posting, so it doesn't really surprise me that I didn't make any real, lasting connections. Though few and far between,  I have good memories of the short time I've been here, but I don't think I have nostalgia for it. It was my first foray into the world of online interaction, and it has its charm, but it is no way my go-to place for discussion of my interests. It's just kind of a reminder of where I started, and by Jove, did I start late. 

You know, I always feel like I turn these things into meaningless rants. Never got that out of my system I guess. Hah hah. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Like many have said, nostalgia will always keep me coming back. I love reading through old topic and remembering all the good friends I made over the years; and I love reading through new topics to see that people are still sharing their love and passion for Bionicle all these years later. 

I still frequent the BRPG forum, although my posts there are neither as long nor as frequent as they used to be. Some of my best memories were made cutting my teeth in the BZPRPG, and I imagine I won't ever be able to fully quit the game. There's something special about writing a shared story with a group of incredibly talented people, and it keeps pulling me back no matter how many times I drift away.

(While I'm here --come join the BZPRPG! It's a ton of fun and we're starting a new story arc soon, so it's the perfect time to jump in.)

And of course, I still hang around because I'm on staff and it's kinda my job. But it's never felt like a burden; I'd stick around BZP anyway. It really does feel like home. 

• Like 2

BZPower was my Internet home, too. It was literally the homepage I set on my first computer. I've never read End of a Universe, Birth of a Kingdom, but I find it inspiring that you're seeing it through. Makes me wish I would just finish up those however many unfinished stories I've started.

Why do I come back? If I'm being honest with myself, it's so I can pretend I'm still in middle school and just got home and can relax by checking out new topics, writing new fanfiction, and commenting on cool MOCs/fanfiction. I'm in the same boat of RPGs where I just always found it too intimidating.

I remember being much younger and thinking, what if I were the only member of BZPower left one day? If literally everyone else had moved on, and it was just me looking at forums not a single other person had looked at in years, posting when I had something to say I thought someone else might want to read, in denial that there was no one else left to read it.

• Like 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

23 hours ago, Ta-metru_defender said:

I, uh, I actually don't know.

:kaukau: Because I want this guy to love me.  That's all I ever wanted.  Why, TMD, why?!?

Which is a humorous way of getting atan underlying truth: for whatever reason, we here in BZPower who were here a long time ago came to know and understand each other on an individual level.  The bond was especially strong, I think, because even when Bionicle ended, we still had common interests because Bionicle was such a franchise that it attracted a very particular subset of creative types, and a lot of them convened here.  I, in particular, made a few strong bonds with fellow writers and worldbuilders.  Nowadays, we mainly communicate over Skype.

Also, for all I know, there may be a Bionicle G3.  And if that ever happens, I hope to have a voice, however small, in ensuring that it's as beautifully conceived as possible.  BZPower was a surprisingly influential fanbase that Greg Farshtey reached out to quite a bit.

I still log on to BZP out of habit, I haven't posted since 2013 but I was always updating my profile and checking stuff. I had told myself I was going to make a special topic at 7000 (a piece of writing, art,  something like that) and because I never got around to making something I just stopped posting. But with the count reset, I'm considering posting again.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

For me, I come back because of the RPG forum and the constant compelling storytelling we do there. Over the years I've had hiatuses here and there but, like a moth to a flame, I keep coming back to read and write in return. I also check on COT every once in a while just to see if I need to do my job there. So far I have not, but my work ethic makes me do that much at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'll also add that the community element has always been a big draw for me. I've made great friends from the RP forums and LEGO conventions alike, and while we can't always meet in person like we'd like, this website and its social media outlets provide that familiar unity that sustained my sanity a lot as a teenager and keep me loyal today. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 4:19 PM, 25K Now! said:

@Tyler Durden and @Krayzikk keep me around because otherwise the BZPRPG loses like 50% of its player characters.

I mostly come back to see if there are any new member title/post rank images getting unlocked by the top posters and gawk at my new spinny. Been itching to see yours for quite a while now. Honestly pretty happy for this update!

Bionicle was my entire childhood, and, although I was on the younger end, it blows my mind I've been here 7 years and that Bionicle ended around half my life ago. Bionicle has been in my life somehow since I was 6, and this community and bionicle youtube were what got me through ages 10-15.

Edited by Great Being Velika

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

Partly, it's down to nostalgia. Bionicle was a major part of my life back in the early 2000s - and this forum was a major driver of that. For the first couple of years, I enjoyed sharing my thoughts on the storyline and things like that - but, as I eventually drifted away from that, I instead turned to commenting on people's MOCs and helping out with people's MNOG2 questions. Fun times - and it was the first forum I really got into. 

Another part of it is that forums always have been (and, for the foreseeable future, will remain) my preferred method of online communication. All of the modern alternatives/replacements seem to be lacking in some way: either they're feature-poor (e.g. Reddit), have no sense of community (e.g. Facebook, Twitter), or they emphasise chatter and small talk at the expense of long-form, thoughtful discussion (e.g. Discord). I understand that forums in general aren't as popular as they once were - but I want to be one of the ones helping to keep them alive. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Absolutely nostalgia. And the few friends that haven't fallen off the map. A lot of my stories here aren't great, but BZP really let me hone my skills and actually feel some pride and accomplishment about getting writing done. Always good memories and fuzzy feelings associated with that.

Logging back in last week and talking to an old friend has led to me gearing up to write a new epic, in fact.

I just recently started getting back into bionicle lore and thought I should try to log into my old account. It's been a fun way to cringe at myself 

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
ironmaidencopy.jpg
So when your waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand theres no turning back

• 2 months later...

I missed RPing. I spent a good majority of my formative years here, and have made many friends here that I keep in frequent IRL contact with. It feels only natural to still be here, even 16 years later.

image.png.c80b02daebe0faa6146a8dfce1ccb188.png

"This spot marks our grave; but you may rest here too, if you like."

A few things about the community and where BZ Power sits in it which makes me post here.

Bionicle Maskposting (Facebook) I like to lurk there and see what's up, but it's often full of dumb jokes and lewd humor. A lot of stoners and edgelords wrapped up in SJW vs Incel debates there too, which kind of detract from the actual Bionicle discussion.  Lastly I think it's no secret I am a fan of G1 & G2, but a lot of Maskposters view G2 as a curse and mock people who use CCBS or other G2 stuff. So while it makes me laugh to check Maskposting a few times a day, I have no reason to join the group and post there. EDIT: I guess I should clarify, Maskposting is a lot like South Park for me; funny in small doses, but oftentimes to obtuse or even offensive for me to ever really join in with it. Its clear the moderators of Maskposting are very lax and allow everything under the sun as long as it doesn't get their group banned from Facebook. Maskposting could be truly great if the admins were willing to curtail some of the nonsense, but they never do. 

r/Bionicle I don't have a Reddit account so, while it's neat to check it out I have no plans of joining it. 

TTV, still feels like "the young" forums to me; while BZP has been around most my life I didn't know of TTV until about 2015 or so when G2 started. I watch their YouTube content sometimes, but something about TTV's forums still feels juvenile to me. Like I know most of BZP's active user base is about 25 years old, I'd guess that of TTV is 5-10 years younger. I feel like an old man trying to understand the young crowd each time I get on TTV, and I prefer that BZP's fanbase is closer to my age.

YouTube. COPPA killed it. Was nice to talk bonks in comment sections, but now almost every set review is "child friendly" and has no place for discussion. 

Brickset. Huw still has an anti-Bionicle bent. While the comments section got them to finally get Bionicle back into random set of the day rotation... it's still obvious Huw and most of the Brickset team are System purists regarding their news and reviews. Only a few of the younger guys moderating there really are fans of Bionicle, it's a miracle Sokoda's Lego Ideas projects featured on Brickset's homepage at all. I am a big System fan too, and use Bricklink to catalog all my Bionicle sets, but it's clear that most of the staff there really don't care for Bionicle at all. 

Eurobricks. Their Action Figure forum is quiet. Almost no action lately there at all. 

MOCpages... yeah that place has sure gone down hill the last few years.

Flickr... My other hobby is railfanning, and I have thousands of train photos that would fill up a free Flickr account in minutes. I couldn't ever imagine paying cold hard cash for a Flickr Pro account just so I can have enough room for my railfan photos and Lego stuff. 

So yeah, BZP really is the only site that caters to my interests specifically still of all the other possible branches of Bionicle fandom. 

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 4 weeks later...

Because no brand is really dead in this modern age.

Trademarks have to be kept and Lego if they want to keep that Bionicle trademark will have to do SOMETHING every 3-4 years.   2021 will be very interesting for the 20th anniversary of the brand.

• Upvote 1

JAT3Ke.gif
Protoman's Twitter: @Protoman
Transformers Slag Podcast: The Latest Transformers News hosted by Protoman!

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly it's just nice to still have forums somewhere on the Internet. I miss forums. Can we sacrifice social media to have more of these? The BZP heyday was something to behold.

EDIT: Holy moly I've been on this site for over 13 years. That's over half my life

Edited by Sumiki
  • Like 6

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

9 hours ago, Sumiki said:

Frankly it's just nice to still have forums somewhere on the Internet. I miss forums. Can we sacrifice social media to have more of these? The BZP heyday was something to behold.

Gotta agree with this. Maybe I'm not looking that hard, but it seems like BZP is one of the few real forums left.