sybre.net

Sybre

insert banner here in the future

When I was about thirteen, I tried my hand at comic-making. My comics were pretty well-received and I made a lot of them, but I look back upon them with scorn. My sense of humor has drastically changed over the years and I figured I'd succumb to the pull and get back on GIMP. Here's my newest attempt at comics.

Serious Intro

Stay Mad

I understand that having access to my previous work is going to be necessary in order to understand everything, so I'm gonna go ahead and link you to my old Brickshelf. They're pretty bad and have the "lol so rAnDoM" style of humor, but they're there if you want to see them.

Thank you for visiting and have fun.

Credits

Dark709 for the Chimoru sprites

Tavakai for the McToran sprites

Reznas for the helpful GIMP tutorials

Edited by Sybre
Brand new comic! "Stay Mad"
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

• 1 month later...

Quite the nostalgia trip that I just had.  I'd come by for my occasional visit to the comics forum (Soran's comics, specifically), and I find that you posted some within a fairly recent period of time.  I might not spend as much time here as I used to, but it brings me a lot of joy to see someone from "the good 'ole days" posting some comics again.  Obviously it's been nearly two months since the last update, but I thought I would take the time to express my appreciation for your content.  Yes, even your previously comics.  It brought me so much happiness back in the day.
Anyway, I should probably comment on the actual comic that this topic that this was created for, huh?  Burst of nostalgia seeing six-shade Chimoru and some of your old characters aside, Vance being incredibly done with everything is quite entertaining.  You've already got a tsundere.
Even if you don't continue this, Sybre, I wish you the best of luck.

New comic at last! Sorry that took so long; I've been doing alright and I hope to have a slightly more consistent schedule this year. Hopefully a comic or two per month, and that's just to start.

Anyway, the new comic. I understand it could be mildly confusing, but I promise that it's relevant to what I have planned for this series. Just be patient and see if the signs I placed are obvious or not. If not, I need to up my game.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, Dâmaracx said:

Quite the nostalgia trip that I just had.  I'd come by for my occasional visit to the comics forum (Soran's comics, specifically), and I find that you posted some within a fairly recent period of time.  I might not spend as much time here as I used to, but it brings me a lot of joy to see someone from "the good 'ole days" posting some comics again.  Obviously it's been nearly two months since the last update, but I thought I would take the time to express my appreciation for your content.  Yes, even your previously comics.  It brought me so much happiness back in the day.
Anyway, I should probably comment on the actual comic that this topic that this was created for, huh?  Burst of nostalgia seeing six-shade Chimoru and some of your old characters aside, Vance being incredibly done with everything is quite entertaining.  You've already got a tsundere.
Even if you don't continue this, Sybre, I wish you the best of luck.

Hey, man! I remember you! Yeah, I've been looking around the comics forum for quite some time before starting this up. I was so desperate for anything new around here, that I decided to take matters into my own hands and help out. I remember how much you loved my comics back in the day; reading SybreNetX in an entire night and becoming a part of it yourself. It's great to hear from you again and to take a nice look into the good ol' days.

I thought about doing six-shade Chimoru again just to really take that extra step in the SybreNetX throwbacks, but ultimately, I decided I missed the classic bi-shade too much to just ignore it. That, and I wanted to see if I could draw an audience in before kicking things up a notch. I'm doing a horrible job at that. Vance has always been one of my favorite classic characters, despite his under-utilization in Snax. I'm glad you like him too, because you'll be seeing a lot more of him. I feel like this series is going to be about not just Sybre, but Vance as well. "Tsundere," huh? Never thought of him like that, but I don't hate the thought. Potential character arc?

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, man! See you next time!

mindeth the cobwebs

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 3:05 PM, Voltaire Rousseau said:

Fine character work, reflecting the ordinary darknesses of young boys playing together. Unfortunately, I must put in a note that the green text with the orange shadow is very hard to read. Perhaps, by changing the text to a darker shade of green, this may be remedied. 

:O

Somebody else read the comics.

Yeah, I wanted to focus more on the characters with these series, whereas my earlier work was more about events. Your one complaint is something I was worried about, but I'm glad you brought it up. For future comics, I'll take your advice and fix the problem. Were you able to figure out what was being said?

Thank you for stopping by and replying!

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

8 hours ago, Sybre said:

Were you able to figure out what was being said?

I may have been able to make out a word or two here or there, enough to establish that the green-text character had malicious intentions that the red-text character was not amused by. For the most part, however, I could not read it.

You’re welcome. Character development can be challenging in comics due to the necessity of action to hold attention in the visual medium, but an essential part of retaining audience attention and engagement. I approve the thought and wish you well in continuing.

65CADFB1-71A6-4834-9873-A0688218AE4A.jpeg.294e0981febcdee92eac3ac1b59f4caa.jpeg

19 hours ago, Voltaire Rousseau said:

I may have been able to make out a word or two here or there, enough to establish that the green-text character had malicious intentions that the red-text character was not amused by. For the most part, however, I could not read it.

You’re welcome. Character development can be challenging in comics due to the necessity of action to hold attention in the visual medium, but an essential part of retaining audience attention and engagement. I approve the thought and wish you well in continuing.

Drat! Basically, Green-Text (Hikra) was being secretive about her element and said that Red-Text (Vance) was right where she wanted him.

Oh yeah, character development is one of the hardest things to write, and comics definitely don't make it easier. Trust me, I hope to do more character development in some action, but I wanted to establish the characters first. Thanks a bunch for the well wishes! I hope to get another comic done in the next month or so!

• Like 1

mindeth the cobwebs