Was Mata Nui an actual toa?

On Bara magna, Mata Nui presented himself as a toa.

Was that because he was a toa by spirit, or a toa by being? 

Traits he shared with toa:

- he could use his kanohi ignika

- it seems like he could channel elemental powers

Traits he shared with glatorian:

- his overall build, especially the face.

- the fact that his body adapted rather quickly to bara magna

Well, I guess he could have just been a "random body the mask created for him". But where's the fun in that?

Greg has stated that Mata Nui's body was that of a Glatorian: http://board.ttvchannel.com/t/was-mata-nui-physically-a-glatorian-or-a-toa/49950/5

The Ignika's powers didn't need someone physically wearing the mask in order to activate, so I assume Mata Nui wouldn't physically need to be a Toa in order for the mask to work. The Ignika also often seemed to use its powers on its own while Mata Nui had it (rather than him using them with direct control).

(also, do we know for certain that a Glatorian couldn't potentially use a Kanohi, since the only requirement seems to be focus and willpower?)

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say he could channel elemental powers.

sigbanner.gif

54 minutes ago, TuragaNuva said:

Greg has stated that Mata Nui's body was that of a Glatorian: http://board.ttvchannel.com/t/was-mata-nui-physically-a-glatorian-or-a-toa/49950/5

The Ignika's powers didn't need someone physically wearing the mask in order to activate, so I assume Mata Nui wouldn't physically need to be a Toa in order for the mask to work. The Ignika also often seemed to use its powers on its own while Mata Nui had it (rather than him using them with direct control).

(also, do we know for certain that a Glatorian couldn't potentially use a Kanohi, since the only requirement seems to be focus and willpower?)

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say he could channel elemental powers.

It's really obscure, but if you look closely at TLR at 27:45, you can clearly see Mata Nui using some kind of energy on his blade, much like an elemental power.

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, HeartOfMetruNui said:

It's really obscure, but if you look closely at TLR at 27:45, you can clearly see Mata Nui using some kind of energy on his blade, much like an elemental power.

Are you referring to the ending battle as well, when the glatorian combine their "elemental powers" to drive back the Skrall and bone hunters? That is a good example of Mata Nui using some sort of power from his sword.

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

On 3/4/2020 at 3:28 PM, fabSheers said:

Are you referring to the ending battle as well, when the glatorian combine their "elemental powers" to drive back the Skrall and bone hunters? That is a good example of Mata Nui using some sort of power from his sword.

Actually, when he said “TLR at 27:45”, he probably uses Apple TV in his IPhone, and that was when Mata Nui and his friend were attacked by a Skopio and a bunch of Bone Hunters. When Mata Nui put his sword on a cliff to cause a rockslide, his sword glowed in yellow when it happened. Normal swords don’t cause a rockslide like that, so Mata Nui used his mask’s power to give the rock that ability. According to BioSector01, the sword can channel the Mask’s Life powers, and with Life powers, you can do anything with it. About the battle with the Skrall and the Bone Hunters in the end, his sword used the Mask’s power combine the Glatorian’s elemental powers to create the blast, too. Mata Nui is sort of a Toa of Life over there. 

There is one thing that I don’t get about the mask. The Mask has a body of its own called Toa Ignika in 2008, with the weapons and vehicle, but when Mata Nui formed his own 7-foot-tall body in the movie, why didn’t the Mask gave him weapons? Mata Nui just turned Click into a shield and a disconnected Vorox stinger into a sword. In his Lego sets in 2009, he has a Thornax Launcher, but he doesn’t have it in the story? Why? Plus, when Mata Nui came to Bara Magna, he looked like a Glatorian, and his mask can do a mouth flip guard thing in the movie, like Gresh’s and Tarix’s helmets in the movie? Why didn’t the Mask make Mata Nui look like a Toa? Is it because that the mask knew that they are on Bara Magna and knew about its inhabitants, so Mata Nui don’t have to look weird by making him look like a Glatorian? Are the Thornax Launcher and mouth flip guard function canon in the story, too? Do Toa in general have that function on their masks, too?

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Like 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 12:28 PM, Lenny7092 said:

There is one thing that I don’t get about the mask. The Mask has a body of its own called Toa Ignika in 2008, with the weapons and vehicle, but when Mata Nui formed his own 7-foot-tall body in the movie, why didn’t the Mask gave him weapons? Mata Nui just turned Click into a shield and a disconnected Vorox stinger into a sword. In his Lego sets in 2009, he has a Thornax Launcher, but he doesn’t have it in the story? Why? Plus, when Mata Nui came to Bara Magna, he looked like a Glatorian, and his mask can do a mouth flip guard thing in the movie, like Gresh’s and Tarix’s helmets in the movie? Why didn’t the Mask make Mata Nui look like a Toa? Is it because that the mask knew that they are on Bara Magna and knew about its inhabitants, so Mata Nui don’t have to look weird by making him look like a Glatorian? Are the Thornax Launcher and mouth flip guard function canon in the story, too? Do Toa in general have that function on their masks, too?

It probably didn't make Mata Nui look like a toa because the set designers designed him like a Glatorian :P

Nah, my best guess is for Toa Ignika, the mask had was able to create what a toa looked like and include weapons because of Matoro's sacrifice. It probably "remembered" or "stored" that blueprint (design, biology, whatever terminology works best) and utilized it when it created Toa Ignika. It also probably was able to manipulate the protodermis around it to create the weapons for itself. 

In the case of Bara Magna, I do think it was capable of knowing what the nearby life looked like and went off that. For the weapons, my best guess is due to a lack of protodermis, it either couldn't make a weapon for him on its own OR didn't know what to make it out of at the point of creation. That's my best guess why it waited for the bone to make that grand sword (and also Click).

These are just my best guesses

• Like 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

On 3/7/2020 at 1:28 PM, Lenny7092 said:

Ignika's sword and skyboard were formed from the organic debris in the swamp. When the Ignika crash-landed on BM, it only had sand to work with. The Ignika can only modify organic material OR imbue inanimate objects with life, so it was able to make a living body for itself from the sand, but it couldn't make nonliving objects from already nonliving matter.

We don't know how the Ignika looked in the TLR artstyle or whether mouthguards are common on Kanohi.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"