xccj

48999876967_154b591d60_c.jpg

Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) is the Mexican holiday that honors the dead and those that have passed away, but instead of a sorrowful occasion, it is a colorful and joyous celebration.  Although I’m traditionally American, I remember learning about the history of it in school, and it’s been featured in some recent popular movies like Book of Life (a great movie I’ve enjoyed) and Coco (a Pixar movie I have yet to see).

One of the many traditions is the use of candy skulls (or sugar skulls) which are used as decorations on alters of people who have passed.  The candy skulls can be very colorful and intricate, and I thought an excellent way to honor this holiday would be to create a candy skull Lego mosaic.  And so here we are.

I very much enjoyed putting together all the colors for this mosaic, and hope to get it displayed at a couple of conventions next year.  Make sure you take some time today to fondly remember the people in your family who have passed on.

I also posted a series of WIP picts showing the progress made on the mosaic over time on Instagram, but those are linked to below

• Like 3