Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets

Parugi

IC: Zoe Llyan/Alex Lockwood - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town

First Dahlia, now Lachina had left for bed. Zoe considered the Ranger's parting words with a tilt of her head. She had 'already seen this.' What was 'this'? Jared stood before them with a Lucario (Zoe was finding it extremely difficult to resist the urge to run up to the Aura Pokémon and demand he pose for a picture with Collie) and a rather intimidating Onix.

Was this some kind of circus act Lachina had seen before? Images of the Lucario masterfully parkouring its way through an Onix-ring of fire danced through Zoe's mind, and the girl suddenly had a big, goofy grin on her face as she got ready for the show they were about to witness.

Alex, on the other hand, had far more realistic expectations for whatever Jared wanted to show them. With the Pokémon out, he figured it would be some kind of battle. Perhaps it was related to those Pokémon back in the Sevii Islands that had gotten their powers back? If Jared had unlocked that secret, it would give them a powerful edge in the battles to come. Crossing his arms over his chest, the Liberty agent waited for Jared to get started.

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Jared Winters

Jared nodded as the assembled group approached. "Thank you all for coming out here. I have something to show you, because not showing you is too risky." He made a gesture, and the Lucario and Onix moved aside, revealing the tree they had been in front of. Tied to the tree was a hideously scarred Absol, its single working eye blazing with hatred.

As it saw the assembled group of trainers, it lunged forward, but was stopped short by the rope. Still, it roared at them, teeth bared in anger."This," Jared continued, "is Styx. I captured him in Hoenn, when he tried to kill me and Anubis outside of Fortree City. I don't know what's wrong with him, but his aura is a twisted mess of colors, not like anything natural I've seen."

He pointed to the Onix. "Stones' aura is the same way, but he only slips into this frenzied state occasionally during battle, and I can snap him out of it pretty easily. I don't know what the difference between the two is. In my off-time -- which hasn't been a lot, lately -- I've been trying to treat Styx with my own aura."

He demonstrated, turning to the Absol. Silver light poured from him, surrounding both himself and the crazed Pokémon. After a short time, the light faded. The Absol was standing, blinking and looking around calmly, if seemingly confused.

"And it works, to a degree, but he always reverts back to that state." Jared put a hand on the Absol's head, and it was instantly enraged again. He jerked his hand back before it could cut anything off of him.

"I'm telling you all this not to scare you or threaten you. It's a warning. If something happens to me, if I'm captured or killed, and you have access to my Pokémon . . . Styx can be pointed at an enemy, but he can't be controlled without certain applications of aura that, I'm sorry Colleen, none of you can perform."

He sighed, shaking his head as he took the ball off his belt and returned the Absol. Everyone present could see Jared's Lucario relax as it vanished.

"If you find yourself thinking it's a good idea to release Styx to battle, think again. He'll attack enemies, allies, and bystanders, anyone he sees. Any questions?"

Edited by MELON LORD

"So Alku, happy 'was that a firecracker or shotgun?' day!"

"Hard mode: I'm in the south."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC: Jamie Arthur - Camphrier Town

Jamie found herself staring at the Absol. She wanted to look away from it. It's eye was ugly, the scars were unpleasant. Its roar was scary.  But most of all, it really didn't sound hero. It sounded the opposite of heroic. Just pure violence. An uncontrolled desire to fight, to hurt and nothing else. It was unnerving. But she couldn't bring herself to stop staring at the Absol.

Jamie didn't know anything about aura. Jamie had no idea what was going on with it. She had a million questions raging through her mind, but only one formed coherent enough to leave her lips.

"So, what do we do with Styx if you do... die?"

Edited by Metal Gear Minun

25fbd79538e4c3de878b599045e3f03a.jpg

IC: Zoe Llyan/Alex Lockwood - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town

Zoe instinctively grabbed her sister's hand at the sight of the Absol. She would never admit she was scared, but the dark Pokémon looked terrifying . . . like a true monster. To disguise her momentary act of cowardice, she tugged on Colleen's sleeve. "Collie, is its aura really full of darkness?" Zoe couldn't say she'd ever heard of a dark aura before, it seemed like the complete antithesis to everything she loved about aura masters like her sister.

Alex raised a hand. "I know it's good to prepare for the worst, but . . . do you really think you're going to die during this mission?" He stopped himself before he could point out that Zoe was just a kid and that if Jared was in danger of dying they all were. With a deep frown he continued, "Is it really that big of a deal that all of us need to know? Colleen seems to be the most equipped to handle something like . . ." he gestured at the Absol. "That. Surely she should be able to take care of things if or when you die?"

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Jared Winters/Emily Lockwood

Jared glanced first at Alex, frowning. "I don't plan on dying, but I would rather be prepared in the event something goes wrong. As for why I'm telling all of you, imagine a scenario where I'm down and you think it might help to send out more of my team to help ward of enemies. If I tell just Colleen, she might not be aware enough or fast enough to stop you from releasing Styx. Everyone should know, to reduce the chances of something like that happening."

He then turned to Jamie. "If the worst happens to me and I do die,  then what you do with Styx is simple. You return him to his ball if, for some reason, I'd been using him to battle. Then, I want you to destroy the ball. I hate to be the one to say 'kill him,' but that's what should happen. Since I'm the only one who can control him like this, and there's no telling if the aura treatment is actually working long-term, I don't want anyone else getting hurt trying to tame him."

Emily covered her mouth, eyes wide. "That's . . . horrible."

"Feel free to ignore me, then." Jared shrugged. "If it comes to that, I'll have given my suggestion, but the decision will honestly be Colleen's, or whoever is closest if the group is separated. Honestly, let's not focus so much on the what-if's. Even if I'm just knocked unconscious, or fall ill, or whatever, you all cannot let Styx free."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC - Emmerich Coleman - Ninth Room, Vertrag:

There was nothing of particular interest in the ninth room. From the pictures of family hanging on the orange walls, Emmerich deduced that this room must have belonged to Ray--a strange realization to be had, for sure. He made a mental note to ask him about his experience with Ford's faction later. That aside, the room was plain--as average as any other room in the barracks.

As he turned to leave, he did notice one peculiar object: A Plasma dossier. Emmerich picked it up and flipped through it, glancing through the information inside. He raised an eyebrow and slipped the document into his bag before finally retreating back to the hall.

IC - Kyle Eston - Tenth Room, Vertrag:

As soon as the door closed behind him, Kyle fell back against it and let himself slide down to the floor. Eyes closed, hand on his chest, he took a slow breath or two, trying to calm his nerves. The sight of Sinjoh Ruins had seared into his mind; he could not help but find himself reliving the horror of the battle against Eight and the other Ancients. Strangely, now that he was away, the memories seemed to flood back in full force.

His chest felt tight, and his throat tighter. In the darkness he all but saw Eight's hands crushing his neck. Her visage melted into Shift's, and his into McKinley's . . .

The inhaler emitted a sharp puff. He breathed deeply and opened his eyes. As the medicine's effects eased through him, he let the blurry room in front of him sink in.

It was a bedroom; that fact was obvious. It was a child's bedroom, as evidenced by the twin-sized bunk bed that rested in one corner, its two mattresses covered by checkered dark green and yellow blankets. Against the wall opposite the bed stood multiple bookshelves, and a space where a large, false window stood across from the door. The walls themselves were a dark, earthy green that felt oddly soothing. A brown desk occupied the corner to the immediate right of the door, littered with art supplies and sketches. To the left was the open door to a closet, where a collection of kid-sized coats and shirts hung above a chest of drawers. Another door occupied the back of the closet, leading into a bathroom. A vast array of books and toys, figurines, plush animals, and brick models decorated the space.

Kyle sat in silence for some time. Finally he managed to push himself to his feet and move forward. It was a mammoth effort to do so, to make himself look through the toys and books and various other belongings for any hint of a clue to this base's mysteries. He was not sure why, though with each passing moment he couldn't help but think on that. Maybe it was guilt--over the intrusion on such an innocent soul's place of comfort, or perhaps because the place reminded him of the fact that he had promised to watch over Levi, only to be dragged away not a day later.

He sighed. He'd have to make it up to the kid whenever they got back.

If they made it back from the Signs.

He suppressed a shudder and kept looking.

As expected, there was not much to take note of. When his search turned up nothing, Kyle settled on picking up the stack of papers from the desk and taking a seat on the lower bunk. The yellow-and-black blanket ruffled from his weight, distorting its previously-pristine placement on the bed. He set the papers down and picked through them. They were surprisingly well-composed. He had expected to find childish doodles, but these were drawn with a steady and careful hand--one that had had many hours of practice.

Flipping through the stack, he counted three completed pictures. There was a portrait of the Alarics, genuine smiles etched into their expressions. Among the three that Kyle had met was a boy markedly similar to Levi; he could only assume that this was his brother. A portrait of the two boys in the forest followed; one of them smiled broadly, the other more shyly. Finally, a picture of Levi in the woods again, but by himself this time. Around him, the woods stood as they had before, only now they were charred and scorched. Underneath this was a half-completed portrait of the blue-eyed Phantump that Kyle had seen with Levi.

Kyle had to set the pictures down. It had not occurred to him until now, but it seemed like he and Levi had a lot more in common than he would have imagined. His heart felt a lot heavier with that thought. He took a breath, shaking his head and rising to his feet.

All the more reason to get back as soon as possible.

IC - Emmerich Coleman/Kyle Eston - Living Quarters, Vertrag:

After what felt like ages, Kyle emerged from the room. Emmerich and Chloe had moved to the hall entrance, waving him down as he emerged. The Rocket General waited until he was nearer to break the silence. "So, it seems we're done here."

"Yeah . . ." Kyle said. "I think we can hold off on debriefing until we get back with the others. I found something that I need to talk with Ryan and Ray about." He rubbed the back of his neck. "So . . . Allons-y?"

IC - Sonja Baron - Library, Vertrag:

"Les . . . Les Contes de Fées Classiques."

Not so much as a hint of a response.

"I mean, maybe we can have our Pokémon look through here while we go check the other rooms," Sonja said. "But . . . I don't know. We haven't run into any other specific defenses outside of the elevator, right? Everything so far has seemed . . . relatively intuitive, all things considered. If there was something specific protecting the Grimoire, it seems like he would have mentioned it." She held up the cane, observing it. "I feel like we'll know it when we see it."

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

-==IC: Colleen -- Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town, Kalos==-

"It... definitely doesn't feel normal." Colleen said quietly to Zoe, as she couldn't help but shudder at the sense she was getting from the Absol. "It doesn't feel natural either... it's all purple and erratic and just feels wrong." She frowned as she considered the possibility that the Absol couldn't be helped. She decided not to actually voice her opinions on that, though.

-==IC: Chloe -- Vertrag==-

"That sounds like a good idea, yeah." Chloe nodded in agreement as she glanced back at the rooms. "It's interesting, though, some of the rooms were just like, the rest of the base here that we've seen, but others were different, more like how Pierce's was different. Ellen's room even like, seemed to have a window, which is even weirder."

-==IC: Ray -- Vertrag==-

"Yeah, it feels odd in that sense. He didn't mention the elevator thing either, but he might have guessed that we'd be joining. Still..." Ray frowned, as he considered things. "Maybe it really is somewhere else. We haven't found Ford's personal room yet, and if this Grimoire is as important as it sounds, then it's a lot more likely that it'd be kept away from the rest of these books, right?"

IC: Jared Winters/Emily Lockwood (With approved bunnying of Jamie and Coleen)

"I can not do that," Jamie Arthur said, and Jared shrugged again.

"Fine. If none of you can bring yourselves to destroy a creature that's a danger to itself and everyone around it, then that's on you." He turned to Colleen again. "That said, I would like to dedicate a bit of time each night to trying to cure him with aura. Would you be willing to help with that after daily training and the like?"

The golden aura wielder nodded. "Yes, of course."

"Thanks." Jared smiled for the first time since the fight earlier in the day. "For now, let's all head inside. We should rest up for tomorrow."

Emily scoffed as the silver-haired trainer walked past the group. "Yeah, sweet dreams everyone. Try not to dream of the evil Absol we might have to kill."

Edited by MELON LORD

-==NPC: Lusamine -- Aether Paradise==-

Lusamine pursed her lips as she realized that she had been played into a corner. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she tapped her foot. "Alright then. What do you have to offer then?" The Aether president slowly spoke as she did not seem to be impressed by the direction this conversation had turned. Still, she gave a fake-seeming smile, trying to still remain cordial.

IC: Dahlia Seton – Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town
Dahlia couldn't sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, flashes of the thug leader skirted through her mind. Sitting cross-legged in her fancy queen-sized bed, the gardener tried to recall Jared's instructions on meditating. Reflect and release. Only she could not let go of her memories. Every time she dwelled on them, they threatened to overwhelm her. Whirlwinds of darkness, a bloodied and bruised man, Lachina's glare that told her she had gone entirely too far . . .

She flopped back down and stared up at the silky canopy that surrounded the bed, isolating her from the rest of the world. For a long time she just lay there, unable to close her watering eyes. Everyone else was surely asleep by now. It had been a while since she had heard muffled sounds of others in the hallway, indicating Jared's meeting was probably over.

Exhaustion overtook her, and she slipped into a half-asleep state of scattered dreams. She had the thug leader in a headlock. She was beating him up mercilessly. She had never before felt such anger. The man was now a Pinsir, the fields a kitchen. The same rage filled her heart, consuming her very being . . .

She bolted upright in bed, covered in a cold sweat. Her heart pounded against her chest as if desperately trying to escape the rage it felt. She took several shaky breaths. The canopy was like a prison, ensnaring her in its silky walls. She pushed it aside and crawled out of bed.

The carpet felt refreshingly soft on her bare feet. Taking another deep breath to calm her racing heart, Dahlia headed out the door. By the dim light of her Pokégear, the Seaton navigated the dark and empty halls of the castle. Aside from the occasional creak of a floorboard, Castle Shabboneau rested in complete silence, like a relic of ages long past.

A set of double doors decorated with stained glass caught her attention. They seemed to lead out into a balcony overlooking the castle gardens. With a melancholy smile Dahlia unlatched the doors and stepped out onto the precipice. It was too dark to see much more than the shadows of hedges, but a soft breeze enveloped her in its cool embrace and the trickling of a fountain sounded somewhere far off.

Dahlia leaned against the stone railing and rested her chin on her arms. Lachina seemed to empathize with her situation, likely comparing it to Jared's, and Dahlia appreciated the support. But the Ranger couldn't know what it was truly like to lose herself to such rage. She pulled out her Pokégear and sifted through her contacts, wondering who would even want to talk to her at this hour that would understand. Jared was the obvious answer, but he had enough on his mind as it was.

She scrolled down to Ryan Sanders. Her finger hovered over the name and for a long time she just stared at the backlit text. Her mind was too scattered to figure out what time it was in Johto right now, but surely Ryan would take the time to listen to her laments. After all, he cared deeply for her, right?

Her heart seemed to form a lump in her throat as she saw Sanders on the boat calmly telling her not to practice her reverse powers anymore. His refusal to continue training her. The cold distance he'd kept from her after that incident. She set the Pokégear on the balcony and cried into her arms. Ryan wouldn't understand. He'd blame Jared for tapping into her inner darkness, and if he were to ever find out about Mercury, Ryan would probably forbid her from even talking to Jared, as if he had any right to tell her what she could and couldn't do.

It was infuriating and heartbreaking at the same time. Jamie didn’t seem to have any trouble at all being a hero, so why did Dahlia have to suffer so much? Her inner demons threatened to manifest themselves just like with . . .

She pulled her head up out of her arms. Wiping her tears, she grabbed her Pokégear and scrolled through her list of contacts. Yes, there he was. The Hero of Space himself, the one Mr. Giratina had originally told her to find.

Evan Tierra.

Without hesitation, she called him.

After some ringing, a man’s voice cheerfully answered. “Hello Dahlia!”

The bombastic response threw Dahlia off guard. Once she recovered, she found a small smile played on her lips. "Well you're as energetic as always, Evan."

“I’d have to agree with you there.” The Hero of Space said, letting a few pants escape him. “My workout has only just begun, so we’ll see how long it lasts, eh?”

"O-oh, you're in the middle of something?" The gardener silently cursed herself for not being more considerate. "I-I can call back later if now's not a good time . . ."

“Nah, it’s all fine and good.” Evan’s voice kindly rung from the Pokégear. “I could use a little bit of a break here. So what’s up, Dahlia?”

She inwardly sighed in relief. "Well . . . I actually wanted to ask you about that creature we fought on the boat. Feral, I think it called itself?"

“Yeah, what about him? I’m not sure what I can tell you about the guy, but…..”

"He's . . . a part of you, right? Like, the embodiment of your inner darkness?"

“Yeah, I’d say that’s a correct summation of what he is.”

Dahlia took a deep breath, clutching a hand to her chest. "Can you tell me about how he was born into this world?"

“I can, Dahlia.” Evan said, a marked change in the tone of his voice. “He was born when an organization I worked for turned out to be…….less than virtuous. I lost control of my emotions and my power, which resulted in Feral coming out in the world. He sealed away the man who led the organization, threw me into a portal leading to Unova, and went on to cause trouble in many other parts of the world.”

Her breath caught in her throat. Losing control of one's emotions . . . it sounded like exactly what had happened to her. The disappearance of Evan's hammy facade only emphasized the seriousness of the situation. "I . . ." The words died in her throat. Dahlia closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. "Did it ever happen before? Did you ever see hints of Feral's presence before he got his own body?"

“I don’t think so. He never really manifested until that day. Even he’s admitted that he, like me, isn’t really subtle….”

"Well, you're anything but subtle." Dahlia let out a small laugh, but it quickly died out. "So that anger you felt when he was born . . . was it always a part of you? Would you say that if Feral is just like you, that means that deep down, you're just like Feral?"

There was a slight pause. “Of course I am. It’d be childish to say anything otherwise. The difference is, now I am recognizing how to…...use that anger properly when it rears its head.”

"How?" Dahlia blurted out the question without thinking. "How do you keep your anger from consuming you? How do you direct it in the right way?" Realizing what she'd said, the gardener bit her tongue. Her face felt hot. "S-sorry," she stammered. "I'm just . . . curious."

“Dahlia……...are you worried about that happening to you?”

Crud. She'd sounded way too desperate. For a long time she kept silent, struggling to find a way to backpedal.

“Because, I know the answers to your questions.” Evan’s voice kindly spoke to the gardener. “I am your fellow Hero, and as your senior, it is my job to help you in any way I can.”

And then Dahlia broke down. In tears she confessed what had happened at the berry fields. How she had become so filled with rage. How she had left the leader of the thugs a broken, bloody mess. How if it hadn't been for Lachina's intervention, she might have killed him. "And the worst part is," she sobbed. "Before I fully lost control and blacked out, I was fully aware of what I was doing. I kicked him repeatedly . . . I ignored his pleas for mercy . . . I just wanted him to suffer. I'm a horrible person . . ."

A long pause on the other end of the call. “No, you are not. What you did was horrible, but you yourself aren’t horrible. In the end, the man survived and you were stopped from further destruction.” Evan said, sounding kind. “You wanna know how to keep something like that from happening again?”

Dahlia sniffled. "H-how . . . ?"

“You use the fury as energy. Rather than be consumed by it, you let it propel you forward. Anger is energy, if applied correctly. It can be used positively, and we, as Heroes of Creation, can do that so splendidly. If I, someone who has had it happen to himself, can do it, then you can do it, too.”

"I . . . I don't know if I can," Dahlia said. "If my fury is energy, I can't contain it. It just explodes out of me like wildfire. I have no right to call myself a Hero of Creation if all I do is become a force of destruction."

“Destruction and Creation are two halves of the same whole, Dahlia. You must create to destroy, and vice versa. But, it’s how you apply either, that determines if it’s being used right.” A pause. “Mindless anger is not the fuel you need. You need anger that explodes with passion. Anger that can pull you from the deepest despair. Anger…...that you can control.”

The gardener pondered those words. All her life she had striven to be a kind and gentle spirit. Being told it was alright to be angry . . . it felt unnatural. "That's the problem," she said. "I can't control it. It just happens on its own, and next thing I know I'm waking up to find that I nearly killed someone."

A long pause. “Looks like we were definitely the same in that regard at one point in time. But……...as I’ve recently learned, you stand no chance of controlling it, if you don’t accept it as a part of you. Just like Feral and I.”

Dahlia chewed her lip. "I'm scared," she said in a tiny voice. "I don't want to accept that part of me. Olivia and Aspen, they're much better at controlling their anger. It's natural for them; I think that's why they both joined the war. But I'm not like that. I'm just a humble gardener. I nurture young saplings. After all this time, I still can't understand why Mr. Giratina would choose someone like me and not someone more qualified and capable. I'm not a soldier, and it's becoming quickly apparent that I don't have the makings of one."

“.......Tell me, Dahlia, have you heard the legend of Giratina?”

She frowned. "I . . . I know he was banished to the Distortion World for violent acts." The story hit a little too close to home. "Is that why he chose me? Did he see the violence hidden within me?"

“Did you know that the same power you wield, is how he nurtures his home? Perhaps he saw a kindred spirit in you, and chose you not for the violence, but for the nurturing spirit you have within you. Giratina is fiercely protective of his home, and knows the magnitude of what could happen if anything were to happen to it.”

Dahlia thought back to the times she had lost control. First when her brother was in danger. Now when fellow gardeners were threatened. "Fiercely protective," she murmured. A smile broke out on her face, a genuine one. "How do you do it, Evan? How can you take such a horrible situation and twist it into something good? I am like Mr. Giratina in that regard, I'd do anything to protect my friends, my family, and my garden. Perhaps that's why he chose me. Perhaps that's the avenue through which I need to channel my anger. Thank you, Evan Tierra."

“Not a problem, Dahlia!” Evan’s usual cheeriness came back in full force. “It’s the nature of a Hero to reverse even the most grim situations. I know you can do it, and I am sure Giratina knows you can do it too!”

A sweet laughter pierced the air, and it took Dahlia a moment to realize it was her own. "Well, I'd better let you get back to your workout. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to talk to me. It really means a lot."

“All right. Take care of yourself, Fellow Heroine!” The man’s voice said happily. “You’ve given me the spirit to power through my workout, so thank you for that!”

"You're very welcome. Goodnight. Or Good morning. Whatever time it is over there. See you later!" The Heroine of Reverse hung up. The moon shone brightly on the castle gardens, bathing everything in a soft, pearly light. With a hopeful smile, Dahlia Seaton returned to her room, ready for whatever tomorrow would bring.

-==IC: Shabboneau Castle==- (Morning of August 8th, 2017)

Sunlight streamed through the tall iron-framed windows, the lightly-tinted panes granting glimpses into the glorious gardens outside the dining room. Inside, an enormous mahogany table lined by nearly a dozen chairs per side dominated the long but narrow space, the antique cabinets in the corners bearing fine china surely worth several years' worth of an ordinary man's salary. The dark but highly-polished wainscoting on the lower half of the walls made an ideal contrast with the yellow background of the grapevine-motif fresco along the upper half, a rather feminine-looking antique cast-iron chandelier with a matching grapevine design finished tying the space together.

It is this scene that the unlikely group of travelers found themselves gravitating toward, drawn in by the scent of cooking breakfast wafting through from the kitchen next door. As the guests began to take their seats, a vaguely-familiar black-haired man wearing dark pinstripe pants, an emerald green vest, and a black necktie on top of a crisp white button-up shirt made his entrance. He paused upon seeing the arrivals, quickly adjusting his monocle to cover his surprise. "Ah yes," he said, "good morning Masters and Mistresses. I was just coming to wake you."

Professor Alderson stifled a yawn as she wandered in after the others. "Good morning, Mr. Chalmers."

"Just Chalmers if you please, ma'am. I've prepared Master Lionel's usual, but are there any dietary considerations I should be aware of?"

"Oh, no, it's fine," she replied, "and besides, I really wouldn't want to be a bother."

"No bother at all, ma'am," the butler reassured. He turned to the rest of the group. "And for the rest of you?"

Once the considerations (and in a few cases, requests) were taken, the butler retreated into the kitchen. Shaking her head in disbelief, Professor Alderson sat down in wonder. "I feel like I'm dreaming. Castles? Butlers? If I'm not careful, I could get used to mornings like this." The professor chuckled. "How are the rest of you doing? Is everyone all right after yesterday?"

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

IC: Dahlia Seaton - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town
Her talk with Evan, and indeed all the events of the previous day, had worn Dahlia out. The castle's bed was impossibly comfortable, so much so that she slept in until late morning. She awoke feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the day. But when she pulled back the silky canopy, harsh sunlight blinded her, forcing her back into the bed's warm embrace.

It was there, amidst the warm blankets and soft pillows, that Dahlia realized her mistake.

She had slept through Jared's morning training.

With a startled cry, she leapt up and tumbled through the canopy. She landed hard on the floor, blinking against the morning sun that shown on her form tangled up in the bedsheets. With a groan she pulled herself up and changed out of her pajamas.

The room had a full-sized vanity mirror which allowed her to compose herself in a way that didn't look like she'd just literally rolled out of bed. When she was at last satisfied, Dahlia pulled the Griseous Shard from her bag. The amber-colored stone dangled from the end of a simple necklace, gleaming in the sunlight. The necklace hung comfortably from her shoulders, and for once she truly felt like the Hero she was supposed to be. With a warm smile, she grabbed her bag and stepped out of the room, hoping Jared wouldn't be too mad at her.

The butler had already left to prepare everyone's breakfast orders by the time Dahlia's grumbling stomach led her into the dining room. The gardener hadn't eaten any dinner before she'd retired to her room last night, and now she was starving.

"Good morning, Dahila." Alex smiled brightly. "Feeling any better?" The gardener nodded as she took a seat next to Olivia. "We've already placed our orders for breakfast, but the butler should be back shortly. You can probably order something then."

"And the rest of us can order seconds!" Zoe cried, the fire of hunger burning passionately in her eyes.

"You haven't even had your firsts," Alex said good-naturedly, ruffling the girl's hair.

"Yeah, but I forgot to order le chocolat chaud and a Belue Berry crêpe. I was just so excited about ordering a stack of twenty chocolate chip pancakes with extra sprinkles and a side of Kalosian toast and freshly squeezed Oran juice. You can't have an authentic Kalosian breakfast without crêpes!"

"Tell you what, Zoe," Dahlia laughed. "How about you finish those twenty pancakes first, then see if you still have room for your crêpe."

Zoe's jaw dropped open in great offense at the mere suggestion of her stomach's inability to ingest any part of a complete breakfast. "Mademoiselle Seaton," she said seriously, leaning across the table to make sure Dahlia heard her. "There's always room for crêpes."

IC: Xander Cruize/Mordred

After a few hours of on-and-off interrogation, Xander Cruize was finally taken to a cell. No sooner had he sat down on the cot, however, than the door was opened again and a guard stepped in. “We think you have a visitor. Follow me.”

A visitor? I just got here. Xander had truly no idea who it could be. His team was in confinement right now -- except for Sylph, but that was another matter -- and he highly doubted that news of his arrest had spread to anyone who would want to see him right now.

He was taken into a stereotypical room with a long counter divided into small cubicles of glass. The guard led him over to one, and Xander sat. When he saw his guest, he chuckled dryly. “Well, hey.” He turned to the guard. “Hey, can you turn this thing off for me? I can’t hold a conversation with him otherwise.”

The guard frowned, uncertain for a second how to respond. Xander sighed. “I voluntarily told Executive Eston about my psionics. If I were going to trick you guys I would have done it before now. Besides, I’m burnt out again, for the most part. I just want to understand what he’s saying.”

Slowly, the guard stepped forward and pressed a card to the collar around Xander’s neck. The light went off, and the psychic turned back to his guest. “Alright, sorry. What brings you here?”

Mordred scratched the back of his head for a moment. Heard you got caught, thought I’d stop on by to see what happened. There is some honor among thieves after all.

The prisoner nodded. “I appreciate it, really.” Silently, he communicated, I didn’t tell them you were involved, but I think they might have pulled the security footage. Sorry if that comes back badly on you or Executive Arthur.

The Weavile made a grin with a slight hiss. Let them come. Might be fun dodging the law for a while. As for James? He could use the headache. Keeps him grounded. By the way, before I forget, you dropped something during the fight. He took off the pack that he carried with him. That Hollow Caster thing. Whatever you called it, he said patting the bag.

Xander’s eyes widened, and he leaned back in the chair. “I lost it during the fight. Of course.” He sighed, shaking his head. “Thanks for recovering it for me. I think it technically counts as evidence, though. My Holo Caster,” he explained, looking up at the guard, who shrugged. “At the very least, I shouldn’t have it in here.”

“Pass it through,” the guard interrupted. “I’ll take it to the Executive after this and he can determine what we do with it.”

Xander nodded, reaching for the small slot below the window. Mordred pulled the small device out of the bag and slid it into the slot.

Xander took the device and passed it over to the guard. “Is there anything else you needed, Mordred?”

Nah, I better get a move-on. They’re gonna want to talk to me if I stay too long. And I don’t feel like joining you in your cell, the Weavile said as he put the bag back on his back.

“Sounds good. See you later.” Xander stood and allowed the guard to reactivate the psionics-dampening collar before he was led back to his cell.

Mordred walked at the other way, rubbing his neck slightly. Collars, ugh. He got the reason sure, psychics could be a handful to humans. But man it didn’t look comfortable. He kept thinking absentmindedly about the collar until he was out of the prison block. Waiting for him was a Porygon-Z. The Porygon-Z let out a series of greeting beeps.

Ah, Digital. Thanks for your help earlier, he said as he saw the Porygon-Z. He recruited her earlier to copy the data off both of the Hollow Casters. Make a nice present for James when he gets back. Hopefully good enough to smooth over the storm that he had just brewed for him.

IC: Xander Cruize

Executive Eston was waiting by the cell when Xander and the guard arrived. Xander sighed softly. "More questioning?"

"Not exactly," Eston replied. "I just spent some time going back and forth between yourself and two girls who claim to be friends of yours. Technicians, Fontaine and Nowarei. Do you know them?"

Xander nodded. "Yes, but they had nothing to do with this."

The Executive chuckled. "Oh, I know. You and Morill acted independently of anybody else, we have the evidence of that. I understand that you were running mission control for a team in Kalos, correct?"

Xander nodded again. "Yeah, that's right."

"During your detainment, control will be taken over by Technician Fontaine. Your Holo Caster was not among your affects last night, and we didn't find it in your room, either."

The guard stepped forward, producing the device. "It fell out of my pocket during the fight with Cameron," Xander said. "A . . . friend, found it and returned it for me."

"I see. Well, Cruize, please use a device to let your friends know to call Fontaine for any updates on the mission. After that, the device will be removed and placed with your other belongings."

'Other belongings' was the gun Xander hadn't returned to the lockup after the Two Island mission. Xander winced a bit and nodded. "Yes, sir." He was handed the device and quickly sent a message to Jared and Colleen.

Change of plans. Call this number for morning check-in. Have everyone.

He handed the Caster back to Eston and was escorted back into his cell. Eston sighed. "Get some rest, Cruize. I have to go question Morrill, and then it's you and me again."

Xander stretched out on the cot and closed his eyes. Despite the overwhelming circumstances of everything, he slept until the next time his cell was opened.

IC: Jared Winters/Emily Lockwood/Lachina Adaon

Breakfast was already well under way, Emily on her second helping of egg whites while Lachina powered through a stack of pancakes, when the door to the dining room opened. Jared stalked in, already clean after his morning workout, the Froakie from before riding on his shoulder.

Lachina smiled. "So, did you ever call Sycamore about that?" she asked teasingly. Jared just nodded.

"Yeah. I'm going to keep him, at least until we can loop back to Lumiose. We have a bigger issue right now though. Where's Colleen?"

IC: Dahlia Seaton/Zoe Llyan/Alex Lockwood - Dining Room, Shabboneau Castle

With her face stuffed with the aforementioned chocolate chip pancakes (it was looking less and less likely that there would indeed be room for crêpes, but she refused to back down from her challenge), Zoe could only offer a vague "mhrmgh" regarding her sister's whereabouts. If the chocolate-chip-muffled sounds weren't enough, the accompanying shrug of her shoulders was enough to clear up any confusion -- Zoe did not in fact know where Colleen was at the moment.

"Was she not training with you?" Dahlia asked Jared. She quickly lowered her gaze. After all, she had no right to speak of training when she herself had neglected to show up to the morning lesson.

"I haven't seen her all morning," Alex said. "Zoe came down by herself. Maybe she's still asleep?" He looked to the younger Llyan for confirmation as to whether Colleen had still been asleep when she got up. Zoe stuffed another mountain of pancakes into her mouth and repeated her earlier shrug and nondescript mumble.

Edited by Konuju

IC: James Arthur - Aether Paradise

James's smile stayed a constant level. He had to pull to keep it from contracting. Not quite the right response. Workable, but not quite right. He opened his briefcase that he left on the table. He pulled his laptop out of the briefcase. 

"We would become scientific collaborators. As such you would gain access to our research on the subject. I can not let you see the full details of our research until I have an agreement in writing, that you will support our efforts. But I would be willing to offer you or your scientists a brief glimpse."

James stepped away from the table to look out of the window for a moment. He didn't know Lusamine well enough to judge whether appealing to her conscience would work, but he would be remiss if he didn't try. He allowed his face to fall from a grin to a melancholic smile.

"There is also the fate of the world. I can guarantee that the troubles starting in the Sevii Isles will spread. I would hope you would wish to help stop it. Certainly before it reaches this beautiful place."

-==IC: Olivia/Colleen - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town, Kalos==-

As if on cue, footsteps could be heard from down the hall. Olivia turned her head to look as she saw Colleen walk into the dining room. She was already dressed, but looked at least three quarters asleep still.

"Hi..." Colleen groaned with a halfhearted wave. "Sorry... late night talking and training and..." The aura wielder slumped down into her chair, head already on the table. "I only just woke up. I get this sleepy sensation that someone did something dumb though..." Olivia raised an eyebrow at the girl's choice of wording as Colleen yawned again, looking as if she were about to head right back to sleep already.

-==NPC: Lusamine - Aether Paradise, Alola==-

"I see." Lusamine pursed her lips once again as she paced the room. She gave off a vibe that she was uneasy. "So, you wish to trade your research, for our research and replication of the Elemental Plates, then?" The Aether president finally spoke as she turned her head to James. "If you know about Silvally, then you obviously must know about the Memory Drives. And therefore, the fact that Silvally can change its typing when one of these memories are attached." She looked straight at James, as if to test him.

Edited by Blessed Blade

-==IC: Shabboneau Castle==- (Morning of August 8th, 2017)

As if on cue, the butler reappeared from the kitchen with Alex, Zoe, and Elaine's meals. A glance at the stragglers prompted the man to give them further attention. "Ah yes," he said, "Mistress Dahlia, if I am not mistaken? We seem to have missed each other yesterday evening. I will of course take your order momentarily, but first I must address an issue that has arisen. Last night, I could not help but notice you chose to employ Master Alex's bedchambers. While I cannot blame you for exercising your prerogative in light of Master Lionel's open-ended invitation, it would most likely be in your best interests to remove your belongings from the space before they attract Master Lionel's notice; I do not believe he would particularly approve of your choice in that regard." Chalmers' gaze was polite and, to the average appearance, ungrudging, but more practiced eyes and ears might catch the faintest air of disapproval from the thoroughly proper man.

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

IC: Dahlia Seaton/Alex Lockwood/Zoe Llyan - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town

Alex spat out his drink, turning beet red. "I'm sorry, she did what?!"

The butler's claim took Dahlia by surprise as well. "I-I'm terribly sorry, I just took the first room that seemed available. The canopy around the bed had a floral pattern that just spoke to me. I didn't mean to cause any problems . . . although I didn't see Alex in there at all."

"My chambers definitely did not have a floral pattern!" Alex said defensively. "Clearly there's been a misunderstanding."

It was only now that Zoe had managed to swallow her mouthful of pancakes and interject her own opinion. "Collie had an aura prophesy!" she said, coining the term on the spot. "She said someone did something stupid; she was talking about Dahlia!"

"I don't think that's it . . ." Dahlia said sheepishly, trying not to think back to her actions at the berry field.

--=IC: Professor Elaine Alderson==-

Elaine did her best to conceal the amused grin that threatened to escape her. "Ah, to be young again," she mused. "I hope you used protection? I can tell you from experience that pregnancy is not an experience to enter into lightly."

IC: Dahlia Seaton/Alex Lockwood/Zoe Llyan - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town

If it was even possible, Alex turned an even deeper red. "Wh-what are you talking about?" he cried. "We did nothing of the sort! We only just met yesterday, for crying out loud! Do you really think we'd--"

"Alex and Dahlia, sitting in a tree~!" Zoe chanted. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

"Would you stop that?" Alex snapped.

"Alex." Despite her own reddening face, Dahlia held out a hand to silence the boy. She looked up at the butler. "I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding, sir. That was not Alex's room."

IC: Emily Lockwood/Lachina Adaon/Jared Winters

Emily offered a quick apology for keeping Colleen awake, but it was drowned out by the commotion of everybody else in the room. Lachina was raising an eyebrow at the antics, not really sure she knew or wanted to know what was going on.

Jared looked towards the butler, frowning softly as he observed the man's aura. "Sorry to interrupt this whole affair, but is there a television or computer that we can borrow? We need to make a call as a group, and I doubt my Pokétch or Colleen's Holo thing will be much fun to crowd around." He glanced over at the still-squabbling group and raised his voice a bit. "Dahlia can clear the things out of the room while we get everything set up."

Edited by MELON LORD

IC: Ryan Sanders - Library, Vertrag

Ryan sighed, his hand still outstretched. "I really hoped that would've worked," he muttered. "You've got a point though, Ford wouldn't have sent us on a wild Swanna chase like this." With that the Liberty agent led the way out of the massive library. "There can't be too much left to explore . . . right?"

IC: Shannon Willows - Hotel, Vermilion City

A warm beam of sunlight gently nudged Shannon awake. Aori slept soundly in the bed across from her, wrapped up in her blankets like a Burmy on a cold winter day. Her arms hugged Yuri like a teddy bear; the small Eevee had nestled its head under her chin, its soft breathing in perfect sync with Aori's. Hana snuggled close to the pair, the Bulbasaur's vines stretched gently across Aori like a loving arm. The young girl looked so delicate, yet extraordinarily peaceful in her sleep.

Shannon hugged her own Eevee as she watched Aori sleep, a tender melancholy in her eyes. The poor girl had lost so much, and although she didn't show it, Shannon was sure she was terrified. The thought of the Missing Zero getting so close to her in the form of Miyu sent chills down Shannon's spine, and she had to wrap her blanket closer around her shoulders for warmth. She and Ryan would do everything they could for Aori, but they still couldn't replace the girl's parents.

She lowered her eyes, her lips slightly pursed. A strand of hair slid off her shoulder to rest on the bridge of her nose. Why was she doing this? There was no doubt in her mind it was the right thing to do, but just a few days ago she had been bedridden in Stacy's mansion. What was it that drove her to protect this child she had never met before? Aori was just one of thousands of refugees, many of them orphaned children. What made Aori special? And what was Shannon trying to prove?

The question sat on her mind until it faded away into obscurity. With slow, almost reluctant movements Shannon pushed herself up into a sitting position. Without the warmth of her blankets goosebumps spread across her arms and legs. She sat on the edge of her bed, letting the sun warm her back. When she finally found the will to stand she headed over to her bag and grabbed an olive-green jacket. It didn't have the same warmth as the blankets, but at least it shielded her from the room's cool draft.

She had zipped her jacket up halfway when her eyes fell on the other room, where Ryan lay sprawled across the pull-out couch. Shannon stood still for a moment, her breath caught in her throat. Slowly, quietly, she made her way towards him. Unlike Aori, Ryan looked like he had simply collapsed on the makeshift bed full of exhaustion and hadn't moved since. His jet-black hair appeared matted and unkempt, a textbook definition of bedhead. And yet there was a certain tenderness to the way his arms stretched across the bed, as if protecting it from harm.

Shannon sat on a chair overlooking the couch-bed. She clutched a lock of her hair that fell just past the corner of her eye and rolled the golden strands between her fingers. Ryan had been through worse than Aori, and he had come out a hardened soldier . . . yet those experiences were what drove him to protect others. He had dedicated himself wholeheartedly to protecting Aori, just like he had protected Shannon during the battle in Celadon.

She drew in a breath and held it. The question that had plagued her earlier returned in full force. Why was he really doing this? He had even offered to take the pull-out couch so the girls could sleep in the beds. A lump formed in her throat as she slowly exhaled. She knew the answer she wanted to find, but was that really the truth? Her mind drifted back to the Alamo and the sun's warmth suddenly seemed to shine directly on her reddening cheeks.

They needed to talk. About the incident at the Rocket base, among other things. These early morning hours would serve them best, before Aori awoke. And yet Shannon didn't want to disturb the sleeping Ryan. For a long moment she just sat at the edge of her chair, watching his shoulders move up and down with his breaths. Steeling herself, she reached out to squeeze a shoulder.

Her hand was just about to close around his shoulder when a soft rustling came from the other room. Aori mumbled something with a breathy yawn. Shannon closed her eyes with a sigh. The moment slipped through her outstretched fingers. Pushing herself to her feet, Shannon walked into the other room to find Aori sitting up in bed. Yuri's ear twitched sleepily while Hana retracted her vines with a yawn.

The melancholy in Shannon's eyes was masked with a warm smile. "Good morning, Aori," she said softly. "Did you sleep well?"

IC: Executive Arthur - Aether Paradise

James leaned his head back, closed his eyes, and covered his mouth for a few moments. Partly because he was trying to remember details, and partly because he didn’t want to show the grin growing on his face.

“Silvally is reported to have several notably changing features: including its head spikes and tail fin, which change colors. The signature move of Silvally is Multi-Attack. The type of Multi-Attack corresponds to the types represented by the color. Silvally’s type resistances have also noted to have changed with the color. The conclusion is that Silvally’s type changes with its fin and spikes."

His voice was monotonous, as if he was reciting a carefully prepared report, “I will spare you from me repeating more information you already know back at you.”

IC - Kyle Eston/Emmerich Coleman - Main Room, Vertrag:

Kyle slipped his hands into his pockets as he led the way out of the hall and back into the main room. "There were definitely some . . . interesting rooms there." He took a deep breath. "How much longer do you think it'll take before we're done here? How long have we been here, anyway?"

A click of a button illuminated Emmerich's Poké Gear. "Several hours."

"Huh. Doesn't feel like it's been that long . . ." Kyle shrugged, pressing the button to open the Command Center. The doors slid open, revealing the consoles and platforms that Sonja, Ray, and Ryan had walked through not long ago. With a cautious look around, he stepped inside, half expecting to run into some unforeseen defense program. When nothing happened, he moved several feet further in, spinning slowly to look around. "Think they found anything on any of these computers?"

IC - Sonja Baron - Library, Vertrag:

"If he was relying on it to help him save the world," Sonja said, slowly rotating the cane in her hand as she worked through her thoughts. "then I agree. It seems like he'd want to keep it as close as possible--hidden and protected, in case someone untrustworthy tried to get their hands on it." She glanced back up at the books, and then followed Ryan and Ray. "Let's check the other room, and then we can explore that lower level."

Ray opened the next door. At a glance, it seemed as if this might have been what they were looking for. It was a large suite of a room, ripped straight from a mansion. A black four-post bed with green veils occupied the center of the furthest wall. Black furniture occupied the room--dressers, an armchair by a fireplace, a desk and leather chair, as well as several bookshelves. On one wall, a black door led into a bathroom; nearby, another led into a large closet. Numerous paintings hung on the walls. Above the fireplace was an individual portrait of each of Ford's 'Children;' each frame bore a plaque with their codename and number. Warren's, McKinley's, Pierce's, and Adams's were black and white; the others were all in full color.

On the wall opposite of the doors to the closet and bathroom was a large painting that took up almost the entire space. It was set in a golden frame, and showed Ford and three other individuals arranged against a mansion hallway that served as the backdrop. Ford, the tallest of them all, stood in the back. His expression was much like the one he had always been known for--exhausted, worn down and bearing some unknown weight on his shoulders. The only evidence that this was an older portrait was the lack of as many wrinkles on his face; age had yet to fully blemish the relatively-young man portrayed here.

To the left was a larger man, rotund and serious with a hand on his bearded chin. Despite his attempts at looking refined, he looked almost out of place amongst his colleagues--like he had never actually expected to stand among them and thus was doing his best to adopt the dignity they so easily possessed. He contrasted greatly with the brunette woman on the right. Her expression was soft, her features dreamlike, and she wore a slight smile. It was easy enough to call her a trickster, albeit perhaps one without ill intentions. But perhaps this was merely a facade; who could truly know?

The woman in the center, however . . . What Ford may have possessed in experience, the other man in determination, and the first woman in mastery of her situation--this woman possessed all of that and more. She wore a hard expression, the face of someone who had lived many lives in one. She was a woman with expectations and the drive to achieve them. Out of everything, however, it was clear that she was not someone to cross. The power emanating from her seemed to reverberate throughout the room, almost drowning out the presence of the other three in the portrait. It was clear that this was someone for whom Ford had only the utmost respect. Below her was a plaque upon the frame, simply reading, 'Roots.'

IC - Esen Windred/Levi Alaric/Sam Moreno/Will Moreno - Alaric Room, The Alamo:

The Alarics' suite was nicer than other rooms that Esen had seen within the barracks, but not by much. The space was certainly larger, clearly meant for a family, but other than that, there was not much else to make note of. The same old type of furniture occupied the space, set against the same old colored walls and the same old standard lack of notable decor. It was clear that the Alarics had not been here very long, and it surprised Esen that they were not in more of a rush to get out and go back home.

Or perhaps they were. She couldn't actually tell, but given the current situation . . .

She sat awkwardly on the couch. Sam sat across from her on an armchair, arms crossed and eyes set on her. Levi, having previously been occupied with a sketchbook, had returned to his position on the floor, twiddling with the pencil in his hands. Instead of drawing, however, he looked between Sam and Esen, uncomfortably conscious of the distrustful tension in the air.

Esen brushed her hair behind her ear, blowing out a breath. She looked at the younger girl. "So your name is Sam?"

"Yep."

"Cool, cool . . ." Esen nodded slowly. She could have cut the silence with a knife. "So . . . uh . . . how . . . do you . . . know Levi's family?"

"They're like cousins, kind of," Levi piped up, excited to be able to answer. "She and Will are Mrs. Moreno's--"

"Hey, how's your drawing coming along, Levi?" Sam asked. He blushed and retreated back behind his sketchpad. Sam sighed, looking back at Esen. "We're family friends. That's all anyone needs to know."

"Are you worried about anyone knowing more?" Sam did not answer. Esen nodded, clasping her hands together. "I get it. You don't need to explain that to me." She sat in silence for a moment. "Moreno as in Joker, right?" She glanced at Sam. "Maybe this will help. Or not; I don't know . . . But my name is Esen Windred. Does that name mean anything to you?"

"It's . . . familiar," Sam said uncertainly. 

"You know who Ace is?"

Sam opened her mouth, then closed it, and then leaned her head back. "O-oh . . . Yeah, I . . . I do." Esen pointed to herself. "I see . . ."

"Yep . . ." Esen sighed. "So, you can trust me. I know what that's like. Especially being . . . here . . ." She looked around. "You get used to it after a while, though. The people around here nice, for the most part."

"I guess . . ." Sam sighed, rubbing her temples. "Mom doesn't trust anyone here, especially after whatever happened the other day. But I don't think she even knows how much longer she wants to stay here . . . And that's not getting into Levi's parents . . ." At her words, Levi's hand paused on his sketch, but he did not say anything. "And I've got Will to look after, too . . . I don't even know where he is, right now."

"Sounds like a lot of work," Esen said. "Well, hey, I meant what I said about why I came over here."

"About checking in?"

"Yeah," Esen said. "Levi's mom asked my friend to help take care of him. But he's following a lead on something that might help against Missing Zero right now, so . . ." She shook her head. "Anyway, I told him I would keep an eye on things while he's gone. So you'll probably see me on and off, if you all are sticking around." Esen pulled out her Pokétch. "I can give you my contact information, if you want. Might make things a little less stressful if you have someone you can call on for help, if you need it."

"I would . . . actually really appreciate that," Sam said. 

IC - Silvermind - Silvermind's Office, The Alamo:

The clock ticked behind her desk. Silvermind tapped her fingers together, chin resting on thumbs supported by elbows on the desk. She stared forward, focused on the door. The Executive Suites were not that far; how long did it take to fetch an agent on house-arrest? She glanced at the corner of her computer screen, realizing that a shorter amount of time had passed than she had thought. She closed her eyes, loosing an aggravated breath, and opened them again as a firm knock sounded against the door.

"Come in."

The door opened. Dr. Meghan Vert entered, followed by a security guard. Silvermind leaned back in her seat, giving a brushing-off motion with her hand. The guard nodded and left. Vert slipped her hands in her pockets and watched as the door closed behind him, finally turning her attention to the Liberty Leader. "Urgent business?"

"You might say that." Silvermind gestured to her guest chairs. She waited until Vert had trudged her way into a seat before speaking again. "A couple of matters, actually. I've been discussing the operation with Executives Seaver and Lorne, and they have raised some points that I would like your assistance with."

"Oh?" Vert tilted her head. "You're trusting me with a special project?"

"You are the person most familiar with the Power Suits. If we are to use them again, then we need a dedicated training regimen for them. Every operative from here on out needs to know exactly what their designated Suit is capable of, what its weaknesses are, and how to operate it. I want you to work with Lorne and Seaver to put that together. You'll have assistance from the Archives Department."

"I'm flattered, and more than happy to ensure the Suits' suffer no further unnecessary spills," Vert said. "But archives access in particular is limited to someone in my . . . situation."

"That's why I'm reinstating you as an Agent of Team Liberty."

"Interesting. Why?"

"Upon further review, the actions leading to your arrest--while unsavory--have been deemed necessary and justified in the face of the current threat."

"And how does Goldhawk feel about that decision?"

Silvermind sighed. "That is the other matter I wanted to discuss with you." She glanced at the door, and then back to Vert. "Goldhawk is dead."

Vert rested her cheek against her fist. "Complications from his injuries?"

"Officially."

"And unofficially?"

"He appears to have been helped along."

For a moment, Vert said nothing. "That's a shame." Her expression remained impassive.

A visceral look of annoyance flashed across Silvermind's face. "You could at least pretend you're upset. Or even worried."

Vert shook her head. "My bad blood with Goldhawk is well-known even outside of the Executives. He has my respect, in life and in death. He does not have my sorrow."

"That does not help the situation. His passing does not point a very favorable light on you--or me. As a matter of fact, your ambivalence only makes it worse." Silvermind counted off on her fingers. "You built the Power Suits. I advocated for their use. The one Suit that should not have suffered a sudden failure somehow suffered a sudden failure, coincidentally while our leader piloted it. Injuries sustained were perhaps not fatal on their own, but now an apparent murder. Ergo . . ." She raised her hands. "Grounds for claims of a coup."

"Mm . . . Theoretical situations never sound so scary on paper, do they?"

"We need the source of the power failure," Silvermind said, her tone flat and pointed. "Without it, this operation is done for--both of us are."

Vert chuckled, running a hand through her hair. "I see. So that's the real reason you need me back in the main body of the team, so that it looks good on you when I solve your problem . . ." She shook her head. "Then it should ease your nerves to know that we have an answer already." She adjusted her glasses, taking a selfish delight in Silvermind's surprised expression. "It would appear that a concentrated hacking effort from Déoza targeted our systems at the same time that our Power Suit operators deployed to One Island. A low-level security access port was breached and granted them access to parts of Liberty's mainframe. From there they were able to gain partial access to the Power Suit consoles, including logistics on who was piloting which. Goldhawk's was part of the group that they breached. They even left a calling card in the Electric-Type Suit's data banks."

"Really?" Silvermind scoffed. "You think anyone is going to believe that?"

"They will, because I have proof." Vert pulled her other hand from her pocket, revealing a thumb drive. "What's more: It appears there's a Ford imposter directing Déoza's movements."

She stood, holding out the drive to Silvermind. Tentatively, the Liberty Leader took it and plugged it in. Vert directed her to a set of files--some documenting the alleged security breach, another a video. Silvermind clicked this.

The all-too-familiar silhouette of the Shadowed Man appeared on her screen. The background was different than was usual for him. Instead of a series of white screens, he stood against a background of a white, cloudy sky through a massive, curved window. His features remained obscured, but a toothy grin glistened in the light. He began to talk, his tone strange and uneven, as if unused to the act of speaking.

"Good day to you, the coalition of war. It is my hope that you find this letter on the corpse of the man who has led you to death. In our efforts toward salvation we attempted all manner of coercion, but all have failed and the enemy has risen. It has come to devour us. You were warned, and now you continue to fight. But the time for fighting is gone. This creature came to you, for you. And so, it has been decided. If we cannot stop it in the wake of your self-righteous ruin, then we will destroy you and all connected to you. Team Liberty, Team Rocket--these shall fall. You are the first to go, but you are not the last. Warmongering men, women, and children--it is time you were eradicated."

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

IC: Ryan Sanders - Ford's Room, Vertrag

Ryan found himself drawn first to the portraits of each Child, starting from the end and working his way backwards.

Ellen Burks. Taylor Carter, as the plaque read. A wave of guilt washed over him as he recalled how traumatized she had been after Two Island. She should never have gotten involved in this war. It was bad enough that Ryan had allowed her to traipse around Unova with them, but after the Ancient Darkrai he should have insisted she go home. Perhaps then her suffering could have been avoided.

Levi Alaric. Calvin Truman. He had it worse than Ellen. At least Ellen could go home to a place far from pain and strife. Levi's home was on the forefront of the battlefield between Rocket and Liberty. Ryan didn't know the boy too well, but it was clear he had been through a lot. Why Ford would recruit actual children like Levi and Ellen, Ryan could not tell. Perhaps their innocence kept them from the strife that had allegedly drawn the Missing Zero into this world.

Ray Hakuda. Andrew Wilson; the codename felt odd, and Ryan had to wonder why Ray wouldn't revert back to his original codename of Orange. It was strange to see the portrait of the very man who stood by his side. After all they had been through to stop McKinley, the Fourth Child had taken him anyway. He had to wonder, had Ford chosen the younger Children, or was it that monster's doing? And why had Ray been targeted, of all people?

Sonja Baron. Lynda Grant; Ryan found it ironic that she would not share a name with her sister. He had already apologized over and over for what he'd done, yet seeing her portrait in Ford's uniform brought those unhappy memories back to the surface. He spared a glance at the real Sonja before looking back at her picture. As a Ford agent she looked remarkably like Sophia. Her face held a grim resolve, and Ryan had to wonder how different things might have been if the Children had been able to speak about the Missing Zero.

Skye. Reagan Garfield. This was perhaps the Child Ryan knew the least about. She was with Rocket, he knew that much. She looked about his age; that was all he could really gather from her portrait.

The next portrait read Van Harrison. The man looked strikingly familiar, but Ryan couldn't quite put his finger on how. If he had met this Ford Agent before, the memory was too faint to recall. Perhaps Sonja or Ray knew more about him? Doubtful, considering he had not been present on Two Island. What had happened to him, he wondered.

Thomas Warren. Alias, Raymond Roth. True name, Raimundo Rojo. The man who had traveled to Missing Zero's dimension with McKinley and turned into the Sin of Wrath. Even his portrait seemed to seep with barely-contained rage. Ryan had never met the man -- nor the Sin -- but he was sure if Chloe was here she would confirm he was the man she and her brother had fought in Goldenrod.

Tyler McKinley. Ryan failed to suppress a shudder. Although he was sure this portrait was of the man Ford had recruited and not the monster that had replaced him, he couldn't help but feel like the picture would morph into McKinley's clown form at any moment. He had to wonder what the true McKinley had been like. Before the failed mission to Missing Zero's dimension.

Quincy Adams. Another pang of guilt. He'd failed to save her; she'd sacrificed herself so he could get the second card to Bounty. There was no point in blaming Xander for the incident, but he couldn't help but wish there had been another way. Closing his eyes, Ryan bowed his head in respect before moving on to the next portrait.

Madison Hayes. Sophia Baron. From their first encounter in Castelia City, she was the Ford agent Ryan had interacted with the most (not counting the likes of Sonja, Ray, or Ellen). As such, she was the one he associated most closely with Ford. She looked younger in this picture; it likely marked a time shortly after Ford had recruited her. Again the similarities to Sonja were striking. Again he wondered what might have happened if she'd told them about Ford's true objective back in Castelia.

James Pierce. Self-proclaimed President of Hoenn. Ryan should have felt an undying hatred towards the man, but the truth of the matter was he had been away on Liberty missions for most of the President's rule. That, and seeing the man get eaten by the newly born Missing Zero somehow made his hatred die out. No one deserved that, not even the man who had ruled his region with an iron fist. Just how had Hoenn played into Ford's plans, he wondered.

Having finished looking at the Children's portraits, Ryan turned around to observe the massive portrait of Ford himself, with three other unknown people. Roots, the plaque read. He shuddered to think there were three other people out there just as powerful as Ford. He glanced between Sonja and Ray. "You think those are the Signs Ford was talking about?" he asked. He took a heavy breath. "Let's hope we don't end up having to fight them. They don't look like people we want to cross."

The interrogation room was becoming quickly familiar to Xander, and he felt comfortable enough to rest his head on the table while he waited for Executive Eston. He also found that he had a new respect for the executive. Most people would leave interrogation of a prisoner to lower-ranked agents, but Eston had been going back and forth between Xander and Cameron for over two hours now.

As the door opened and the Executive came in, Xander sat up straightly and nodded. "Executive."

"Cruize." Richie sat at the table, setting the manila folder that he'd been compiling to the side. "We've collected statements from Technician Octavyn Nowarei, as well as Technician Fontaine, Technicians Tetsuro and Tatsuro, and Field Agent Aspen Seaton who you arrived at the base with. All of them told us just about the same thing." The Executive opened the folder and pulled out a few pages, which he began reading from.

"'From the accounts given by people he had interacted with in the days leading to the break-ins and thefts of property, Agent Cruize was acting suspiciously and outside of his usual demeanor. Counts of unusual behavior include multiple verbal altercations with Agent Nowarei, an obsession with the group known as the Signs, and a lack of sleep during the night. In addition, he showed a shift in behavior pertaining to Agent Cameron Morrill, going from being grateful for a large purchase Morrill made for Cruize to being extremely enraged over a disagreement in how to raise Pokémon.

"Further, Agent Cruize has been shown to be violent when angered, threatening to kill Field Agent Aspen Seaton's Lucario in retaliation for a battle that did not go his way." Richie put the pages away. "Do you have anything to say, Cruize?"

Xander sighed. "No."

"Nothing? You don't want to try and justify your actions or defend your behavior?"

"No."

Eston frowned, taking a note. "When we searched your person, we found five occupied Poké Balls, a wallet with your trainer ID and some cash, a folding pocket knife that seems to have been largely unused, and a Glock 19 handgun which, while registered under your name, was restricted due to your age and was supposed to be checked into the armory after the mission on Two Island. Do you wish to explain why you kept the gun?"

"No."

"The gun was empty, however, and a ballistics analysis showed that no shots had been fired in several days. When was the last time you used the gun?"

"July 31, during the Two Island mission. The final chamber had several of the 'instances' which I helped to fend off using my pistol."

Eston nodded. "A search of your room showed the extra ammunition for the weapon in your desk drawer. Did you leave it there intentionally?"

"Yes."

"Why did you have the gun on your person when we took you into custody?"

"In case I ran into opposition."

"What sort of opposition were you expecting to run into?"

Xander sighed. "Security guards, sir."

"And what use would an empty gun have been against Alamo security?"

"I would have used it to coerce any guards to let me lock them in a room without their coms until I was done with my . . ."

"Your break-in."

"Yes."

Eston tapped his pen, looking Xander over. "You've told me numerous times that you are not working for this Team Flare, yet you are and were wearing their uniform."

"It was meant to be a disguise. The suit itself belonged to my father."

"Agent Cruize, your disguise still kept your natural hair and did nothing to conceal your face."

Xander cleared his throat, eyes darting down. "The sunglasses made it difficult to see in low lighting."

"Of course." Eston took another note. "Walk me through your plan that night, if you would be so kind."

Xander sighed. "I told my Gardevoir, Sylph, to go for a walk, so that she wouldn't be complicit in what I was about to do. She didn't know I was doing something illegal."

"So you've mentioned."

"I had a map that I had made of the area around the holding cell, and I had memorized it so that I wouldn't get lost. My plan was to break into the cell, grab the Poké Ball holding the Sneasel, and get back to my room, hopefully without being seen."

"And how did you find out about the Shadow Sneasel in the first place?"

"I saw information regarding it on Technician Nowarei's terminal the day that I went to speak with her about the Signs. Cameron got there ahead of me and was talking with her, and my eyes wandered. I didn't go digging for it."

"Were you and Morrill working together?"

"No, sir. I didn't know he would be there until I saw him in the room."

"According to the security footage, you and Morrill exchanged a few words, and then you attacked him."

"That's right."

"Why?"

"Because I found out that Agent Morrill was working with Team Flare. He was under the impression that I also was, and so he spoke freely about his plan to send the Shadow Sneasel to Lysandre."

Richie nodded, taking another note. "So you two fought while your Pokémon also battled. During the fight, the Shadow Sneasel was released, and your team split their focus between it and Morrill's team, correct?"

"Yes."

"And then Agent Nowarei arrived on the scene. She had reported multiple security breaches on her terminal in the last several months, remote accesses and the like. She found a way to trace the signal, and was working overnight when she noticed someone accessing her files. One of them was a map of the area around the Sneasel's holding cell. She used a program one of the other technicians had devised for her to find and activate the GPS on the device responsible for the hacks, and she then followed it to the room where you two were fighting."

Xander nodded. "That explains a lot."

"Unfortunately, the only Holo Caster we have confirmed in that room was yours."

"I couldn't be responsible for the security breaches, though," Xander pointed out. "I only joined Liberty last month, and wasn't aware of Cameron, Octavyn, and Isabella being Liberty Agents until after the Two Island mission."

"That's true. So, tell me what you think happened."

"It'd have to be Cameron, wouldn't it? He's always been tech-savvy, and, like I said, I hand-drew a map based off of my own memory of the area whenever I passed through for other purposes."

Richie nodded. "Agent Morrill is denying any guilt. He claims that he was aware of your intentions to steal the Sneasel, and went there ahead to stop you and talk you out of it."

Xander scowled, leaning forward. "When I got there, he had already broken into the room and was picking up the ball! He didn't even know I was there until he had already picked it up!"

"Yes, security footage does show him entering the room and making a beeline for the table where the ball was being kept. You arrived about half a minute after he did."

"So you believe me?"

"I believe you weren't working with Morrill." Richie shrugged. "The rest is still up in the air. Let's move on. After Technician Nowarei arrived, you and Morrill stopped fighting and tried to chase her. Then, he ran down the hall and you vanished, leaving the room empty. Incidentally, the Sneasel escaped while you two were distracted by Nowarei. Now, where did you disappear to?"

Xander sighed. "I teleported into your office."

"Why?"

"I had overheard Tatsuro and Tetsuro talking about a hard drive with files regarding the Signs, and they mentioned that you had it."

"That's correct. Even after I told you that you didn't need to know about the Signs, you were planning to take the drive."

"I didn't put as much planning into that. I realized that I was in trouble and wouldn't be able to get information to the team in Kalos if I was in a cell, so I panicked and decided to try and get what I could out for them."

"And you found the drive?"

Xander shook his head. "No."

The room was silent for a moment as Eston considered. "I'll ask again, just so there's no misunderstanding. You went into my office, broke into my desk, and you found the drive, didn't you?"

"No, sir. There was nothing."

"Agent Cruize, I had the drive in my desk drawer before your break-in. Now, the drawer is empty, and the drive is missing. Are you sure you didn't find the drive?"

"Sir, with all due respect, you searched my person and my room. Did you find the drive in either search?"

"No." Eston frowned. "That doesn't mean you didn't take it and hide it on the way to your room."

"Sir, I was in a panic, and my goal was to get the drive uploaded to my Holo Caster and send that information to my team in Kalos before getting arrested. I wouldn't have had time to ditch the drive."

Richie tapped his pen again, considering. "Thank you for your cooperation, Agent Cruize." He stood, turning to the guard. "Take Cruize to his cell. Make sure he sleeps and eats before the next round of questioning." Eston glanced at Xander. "And get him some clothing more suited for a Team Liberty prisoner."

-==IC: Olivia/Colleen/Lucia -- Shabboneau Castle==-

"You stay there and eat." Olivia said to Dahlia, as the young woman placed a hand on her younger sister's shoulder before she could get up. "I've already finished." She gave a disapproving glance to the rest of the table for saying things to imply that the things needed to be moved out before Dahlia even ate a meal. Before she could stand up, however, the so-far-invisible Lucia raised her hand.

"I know who's actually being talked about here; my brother Alex Zyther. It's not you, Alex I-Didn't-Catch-Your-Name." Lucia explained with a small shrug.

-==NPC: Lusamine==-

Lusamine took a deep breath to keep herself composed. She would have to track down the executive's informant later, but right now, there was nothing she could do to fix that. "Very well, then. What is your own research like, then?" The blonde woman asked, as she wondered what type of research James would be willing to bargain with for something on that level.

IC: Dahlia Seaton/Zoe Llyan/Alex Lucia-Didn't-Catch-His-Name - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town

Dahlia had just started to push herself out of her chair when Olivia placed a firm yet gentle hand on her shoulder, easing her back into her seat. She gave her sister a halfhearted smile before lowering her eyes to the intricate tablecloth that adorned her breakfastless spot. That was when Lucia spoke up with the fact that the room belonged to her brother, Alex Zyther. "See? I told you there was a perfectly reasonable explanation."

While her tone was pleasant enough, Dahlia kept her eyes on the table and slowly swung her feet back until only her toes remained on the cleanly polished floor. While she would never admit it to Olivia, Dahlia kind of wished she could retreat into Alex Zyther's room right now if only to escape the overbearing stares. Alex Lockwood seemed to feel the same way as he hastily told Lucia his surname before reiterating that he had nothing to do with any of this.

With a sigh, Dahlia slumped her shoulders and leaned back in her seat. She clasped her hands together in her lap, running one thumb across the edge of her palm. "I'm sorry again for taking a room without asking." It took only a slight tilt of the head to direct her gaze at the butler's feet. "I had a long day yesterday, but that's no excuse for intruding on someone's hospitality. Please send my apologies to Mr. Alex Zyther." Without warning her stomach made a loud rumble. "And, if you don't mind, could I order some breakfast . . . ?"

IC: Yamamoto Aori

"I slept well," the girl replied as she rubbed at her eyes. She did not feel like talking about the dreams she had had where Miyu had transformed into Papa. It was a miracle she hadn't screamed in the night.

"Are we going to have breakfast soon?"

IC: Shannon Willows - Hotel, Vermilion City

"We can certainly do that." Shannon grabbed her bag from the corner and fished through it for a fresh pair of clothes. When she was all set (she made a mental note to get Aori some new clothes at some point), she scooped up the sleeping Salix and gently roused Sousa and Selena. "This hotel has a complimentary breakfast downstairs," she told Aori as she led the way to the door. Her footsteps slowed and she lingered for a moment over the couch. "We'll let Ryan sleep a while longer, but we should leave him a note."

It didn't take long to scrawl out a short message on the nearby pad of paper. Once that was done Shannon opened the door and offered Aori the hand that wasn't carrying Salix. "Shall we be off, then?"

-==IC: Shabboneau Castle==-

Chalmers suppressed a sigh at the assorted childish behavior on display. "Mistress Lucia is correct. My apologies for the confusion, Mistress Dahlia, and to you as well, Master... would Master Lockwood be acceptable? In any event, I would be more than happy to prepare anything required for Master Lionel's guests. If you have something specific in mind, Mistress Dahlia, I will begin preparing it immediately, and as for a device with a large screen, Master Jared--"

"Large screen? I think I have something for that." As Lionel entered the room, he pulled from his pocket a moderately-sized black cylinder with gold bands near the top and bottom, a slightly domed top with a small opening at the center, and an expensive-looking glossy finish. The businessman planted it firmly in the center of the table, which seemed to activate the device and cause it to project an enormous holographic rectangle with rounded corners above it. "Prototype display peripheral. The technology is common, of course, but as you can see I've gone a bit larger in scale than average, especially for a wireless pocket model."

Chalmers allowed himself a bemused grin. "Business at the breakfast table again, Master Lionel?"

"Ambition begets progress, Chalmers, and progress waits for no one." Lionel's wry grin betrayed the smooth delivery of an oft-repeated argument. A moment later, the grin was replaced by a mild frown. "Oh, that's right, I didn't introduce you. Everyone, this is Dornez Chalmers, one of my butlers. As you've no doubt realized, he will be providing us with whatever we need before we head out to Geosenge."

The butler raised an eyebrow at the comment. "So soon, sir? I had hoped you would have time to rest after your trip to Lumiose."

"I'm afraid not. For the most part, that trip was my rest, before--" Lionel was cut off by the sound of a phone ringing in the kitchen. The businessman grinned at his butler. "What was that about business before breakfast?"

"Deepest apologies, sir. I will return momentarily." The butler retreated to the kitchen, the ringing phone silenced shortly thereafter.

"So," Lionel said, addressing the room at large, "I'm presuming the screen has something to do with the Flare investigation? New orders from base?" The businessman looked expectantly between Jared and Lucia for answers.

IC: Jamie Arthur - Castle Shabboneau

Jamie sat next to Lucia at the table. There were faint marks of bags under her eyes and she was resting her head on her fist. She was messing around with the blob of mostly brown sugar that had once been oatmeal. She stirred it, picked it up with her spoon but let it fall back into the bowl. But she hadn’t once brought the spoon to her own mouth. 

Jamie really hadn’t been paying attention to the argument. Not that she would’ve understood it better had she been paying attention. She had been stealing glances at Jared ever since they were both in the same room. More than once she had nearly gotten out of her seat while she was looking at him, but sat back down each time.

Jamie continued to stare at her former oatmeal, as if it would suddenly give her some insight, for some time. When Lucia’s dad addressed the group at large, she perked up. She had to overhear the mission details so she and Lucia would know where they were stalking the group to today. She wondered if they could go somewhere to fight.

IC: Amanda Zarth (The Alamo, Four Island, Kanto, 7:00 A.M., August 8th 2017)

Amanda Zarth had been awake for an hour already. She diligently and decisively did her daily duties, her daily device check indicating no unaccounted-for communications from--

No, that was not true. She had briefly forgotten the strange encounter she had had the previous day, but true to the unsettling man’s word, a voice file had been left for her overnight in his name. Wary, but wishing for further context, she reached to play back the recording…

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

The unexpected noise jolted the Plasma agent from her laser-aimed focus. Glancing down to find that yes, she had instinctively drawn her Magnezone’s Pokéball, she swapped it for a more indoor-appropriate pick and went to answer her unexpected summons.

Amanda opened the door, revealing a Team Liberty agent in a simple uniform -- but a uniform in a rebel organization was telling of his place. The MP saluted briefly. “Are you Plasma Knight Amanda Zarth?” At her affirmative response, the man unclipped a Pokéball from his otherwise empty belt and held it out for the Plasma woman to take, along with a small electronic pad. “Liberty Agent Xander Cruize has been taken into custody, and most of his team has been admitted to the base’s daycare until his innocence is proven or somebody else can collect them. However, he requested that you take this Pokémon into your care until such a time as he can collect it. If you accept, I will need you to sign.”

Amanda cocked her head at the unusual request. “Did Agent Cruize provide a reason for selecting me as temporary caretaker?”

“I believe he mentioned something about an evolution . . . thing.” The man shrugged softly. “He said that you would want to study it some more.”

The pieces clicked into place. “I see. Very well, then.” Signing her name to the document, she accepted the ball and, upon confirming that the agent had no further business for her, closed the door and retreated to the edge of her bed.

Opening her briefcase, the Knight retrieved first her Xtransceiver and then a second Pokéball, deploying her two personal Pokémon as she started a video recording. The Porygon and Elgyem within materialized on her right and left respectively, and she addressed her speech to both them and the computer when she spoke. “Plasma Knight Amanda Zarth, recording requested interaction with Pokémon belonging to Liberty Agent Xander Cruize allegedly regarding unknown evolution phenomenon. Interaction will begin with interview, Porygon and Elgyem deployed as potential means of direct communication.” Combination introduction and orders given, Amanda pointed the Pokéball she had been given towards the space at the center of the room and depressed the deployment button.

A Gardevoir materialized in a flash of white light. She stretched, her in-tact arm going far to her side. She rolled her neck and shoulders and sighed. “Good morning, Miss Zarth. Thank you for being prompt in releasing me from confinement.” She looked around quietly, noting the other Pokémon in attendance.

Amanda inclined her head in acknowledgement of Sylph’s thanks. “Your name is Sylph, correct? The one who brought you here informed me that you have information connected to the evolution phenomenon that originated on One Island, which will be referred to as Mega Evolution for simplicity’s sake during the remainder of this report. Is the agent’s claim accurate?”

The Gardevoir nodded. “Yes, that is correct. I was able to perform this Mega Evolution just a few hours ago, when my trainer was threatened. The phenomenon also came with a full return of my power and abilities.”

Amanda steepled her fingers thoughtfully. “That is consistent with the circumstances under which my Magnezone underwent Mega Evolution. Can you further detail the nature of your circumstances at the time?”

Sylph looked over at the video device. “I am not sure if I am at liberty to make public the full circumstances of the event. It may be classified Liberty intelligence at the moment.”

Amanda nodded. “Very well. Should it become necessary, we will pursue the required details through official channels.” The Plasma Knight made several notations in a text file before resuming conversation. “Is it within your capacity to demonstrate the phenomenon now?”

“I am uncertain.” Sylph hummed. “We did not have time to try and replicate it before . . “ She shook her head. “No, no, I do not think so. Miss Zarth, do you remember what my trainer and I said to you about Synchronization?”

The Plasma Knight tilted her head. “To my recollection, you mentioned the term, but did not provide specific details. Could you provide a summary?”

“When Xander and I, and certain other pairs of Pokémon and trainer, battle, we are completely in-line with one another. We link our minds, our movements, even our breathing. It makes it so that there is no delay in our battle technique. Xander is able to see through my eyes and feel my emotions, and I can do likewise with him.

“The reason this is relevant,” she continued, “is that, when I mega evolved for a brief moment, Xander and I synchronized without meaning to. I saw through his eyes, and he through mine. The thing about Synchronization, however, is that it requires a very deep bond between trainer and Pokémon.”

Amanda frowned slightly. “There has been mention of such bonds among the speculation regarding the Mega Evolution phenomenon. While the commonality between all reports indicates such a bond requires a lengthy partnership with a given Pokémon -- which would be consistent with my Magnezone being my starter Pokémon -- I have yet to encounter consistent information regarding the nature of the bond.”

“Well, the bond between Xander and myself is rather different than what most trainers would have with their Pokémon,” Sylph explained, trying hard not to blush and failing miserably. “Rather, we have a more romantic relationship. Obviously, this is not true of every trainer capable of Synchronization, nor ever Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution.”

“I see.” Amanda paused to consider the information. “Yes, the Mega Evolution of my Magnezone would prove that, likely for both phenomena. In any case, further research on bond phenomena by independent researchers would be in order.” The Plasma Knight took a moment to add her recommendations to her report. “Is there any further information you wish to provide at this time?”

“No, but I will offer to teach you psionics, seeing as you have expressed interest and mentioned that you do not have control over your own abilities. I taught Xander how, and he’s fairly proficient at this point.”

Amanda raised a finger to request a pause. “Subject has indicated no further available information on Mega Evolution phenomenon at this time. This concludes the current report.” Stopping the recording, typing up a few more brief notes, and sending the whole report to her superiors, she then opened a new recording and began speaking. “Knight Zarth personal log, supplemental. Liberty Agent Cruize’s partner Sylph is offering formal instruction in training my psionic abilities.”

At last, Amanda returned her attention to the Gardevoir. “While it would be advantageous to acquire more granular controls over my psionic powers, I must express at least some measure of concern. According to the agent who delivered you to me, I was granted temporary custodianship at the request of your Trainer, who is currently incarcerated pending investigation. Do you bear a connection to the events that led to your Trainer’s arrest?”

Sylph sighed. “I was in the room at the time of the arrest, which is what led to my Mega Evolution. While I did try to attack the guards, Xander called me off. I was not complicit in whatever situation led to him being arrested, however.”

“Do you believe that Team Liberty will hold you directly responsible for your actions at that time, or will they adhere to a Trainer-centered model of culpability?”

“It is hard to say, but I do not think they will label me as dangerous, or else they would not have accepted Xander’s request that I be left in your care.” Sylph shrugged softly.

“Very well, then. In that case, so long as it will not harm the diplomatic relationship between Team Liberty and Team Plasma, I am willing to accept your offer of training.” Amanda offered her hand to her new teacher. “Shall we begin?”

The Gardevoir shook the offered hand. “Yes, of course.”

IC: Jared Winters/Lachina Adaon/Emily Lockwood

Jared nodded softly as he looked at the screen. "Thank you, Mr. Zyther." He sighed. "Something's changed with the mission, yes. We aren't sure what yet, but Xander sent a new number for us to call." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a shiny new Holo caster. "Guess I get to test this thing out then." He navigated the menu quickly and connected with the device on the table. Nodding, he dialed the new number.

The call only rang once before it connected. On the other side of the screen, a girl with soft blonde hair gave a short nod. "Good morning, everyone. My name is Isabella Fontaine. I will act as your mission liaison for the time being. You'll call me for your morning and nighttime check-ins, as well as any updates to your mission. Is that understood?"

Jared traded a quick look with Colleen, then nodded. "Yes, it is. What happened to Xander?"

The girl sighed, shaking her head. "Agent Cruize is being detained pending a thorough investigation of recent events. Until such a time as the charges against him have been cleared, he cannot have any interaction with missions sanctioned by Team Liberty. Other than that, I am not at liberty to discuss his circumstances. I do, however, have his notes here and would like to make sure nothing was left out.

"You landed in Lumiose City and were directed to visit Professor Sycamore. From there, you then split up to investigate the Scarlet Café and the Looker Bureau Detective Agency, correct?" At Jared's nod, she continued. "I see you picked up quite a few extra people -- Agent Cruize only listed Alex Lockwood and Zoe Llyan, so could you give me the others' names as well?"

"Jamie Arthur, Lucia Zyther and her father Lionel, Alex's cousin Emily Lockwood, and her aunt Elaine," Jared supplied.

Isabella Fontaine smiled. "Thank you. Emily, how have you been by the way?"

"Well enough," the performer responded. "We simply must catch up some time, dear."

"We'll see what things are like after this mission is over, alright?"

"Sounds lovely." Emily smiled softly.

"Now then, it says you all stayed the night in Lumiose, then left the next morning heading for Camphrier Town; did the cafe and detective not turn up any leads?"

Jared shook his head. "The detective directed us to a local hospital to talk with a Team Flare scientist, but we weren't able to see him. The biggest lead we got was Mr. Zyther, who absorbed a lot of Team Flare's assets after they fell. He doesn't own the main laboratory that we'll be investigating, but he does own roughly half of Geosenge Town."

Isabella nodded softly. "Good to know. You ran into some opposition on the way to Camphrier, and then stayed the night in the castle at Mr. Zyther's invitation?"

"Yeah, that about brings us up to speed."

Isabella nodded. "Good to hear. So, same schedule as you had with Agent Cruize. Morning and nighttime checks, additional ones if you have a change of plans or circumstances. Does anybody have any questions for me?"

IC: Dahlia Seaton/Zoe Llyan/Alex Lockwood - Shabboneau Castle, Camphrier Town
Perhaps it was just the high dosage of sugar but Zoe found herself bouncing in her seat, unable to contain her excitement. The girl on the other end of the line -- surely a high-ranking Liberty official -- had specifically called her out by name, right after reiterating the fact that this was indeed an official Liberty sanctioned mission. She, Zoe Llyan, was part of an official mission! It was so exciting she forgot completely about the half-dozen or so pancakes that remained on her plate, instead staring at awe at the massive holographic projection. When Isabella and Jared were finished, Zoe bolted up from the table to give an enthusiastic salute. "No questions from me, ma'am! We won't let you down!"

Alex on the other hand was far more reserved in his response. He slowly raised a hand. "You said Agent Cruize was detained by Team Liberty?" A soft frown gripped his jaw. "Under what charges? It must've been pretty serious. I understand you can't give us the full details, but I feel we have a right to know what sort of mess the guy who organized our mission got himself into."

Dahlia kept quiet, her eyes clouded as she recalled what she knew about Xander. His reckless streak was almost worse than her sudden outbursts of anger, yet deep down he had a kind heart. Whatever he had done to get himself detained, he had most certainly believed he had been doing the right thing. Whether he was actually justified or not was another matter entirely.

Her mind flashed back to the warehouse in Keturi City. Had someone found the poachers and linked their injuries back to Xander? Was that why he had been detained? What did that mean for the others involved in that mission? Isabella had mentioned a thorough investigation. Dahlia subtly glanced over at Colleen and Jared, wishing she had a way to silently communicate her suspicions to the aura wielders. As it was she would have to wait until they were away from prying ears, although Isabella's answer to Alex's question might provide some clues.

IC: Shannon Willows/Aori Yamamato - Hotel, Vermilion City
Aori hesitantly held Shannon's hand as they walked down the hallway in silence. The young girl had been reluctant to leave Ryan in the hotel room, but Shannon had insisted things would be fine. She was starting to doubt her own words, for with each step they took Shannon became more aware of the tremendous responsibility she had. In an ideal world Aori might look up to her as a motherly or sisterly figure. Shannon had zero experience with either role. Caring for a small child was far different than raising a Pokémon. Even Ryan didn't quite seem to know what they should do next.

They came to a stop at the elevator. Now that they stood still the awkward silence between them became even more apparent. A growing anxiety urged Shannon to say something -- anything -- to strike up some sort of conversation. Seconds ticked by. "Say, Aori . . ."

The elevator doors opened. They stepped on.

"How are you holding up after . . . after everything that happened yesterday?"

The girl closed her eyes as she thought of how to respond. Finally, she shrugged. "I did not have good dreams last night." She bit her lip and opened her eyes to look up at Shannon. "I do not know what to think."

The doors closed.

Shannon looked away. What was she supposed to say to that? Any words of comfort would just sound superficial. She shouldn't have brought up the question in the first place. They stood in silence until the elevator reached the bottom floor. The inviting scent of a continental breakfast greeted them when the doors opened. Shannon did not move.

"I'm not sure what to think either, Aori." Her eyes glistened, and she had to blink several times to clear her vision before continuing. "This is all so new to me. Up until a few weeks ago I was just living at home with my parents. Now it feels like the whole world's turned upside-down, I'm off traveling to new cities with Ryan, and I'm afraid if I'm not careful you'll end up getting hurt." She let out a long sigh, then looked over at Aori. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. It's not your fault or anything, it's just . . . well, it's natural to feel scared and uncertain in times like this."

Aori squeezed Shannon's hand softly. "I feel scared a lot of the time. Mama usually tells me that I am worrying over nothing." She smiled shakily. "It is good to know that I am not being silly."

"Of course you're not being silly." Shannon knelt down so that she was at eye level with the girl. "Everyone feels scared sometimes. And I know for a fact that yesterday scared all of us. I even had a few bad dreams myself. You're not alone, Aori."

"I . . ." Aori's throat felt tight, and she swallowed hard. "I know I am not. Hikari-san kept his promise, and he brought you with him."

"And I'm glad he did." Shannon sniffled as she set Salix down and gently wrapped her arms around the girl. "I know I'm not the best person to look after you, I have no idea what I'm doing half the time, but I promise I'll do my best." Warm tears slid down the side of her nose. "Hugs make you feel better when you're feeling scared, right? So if we hug each other like this, then we'll both feel better."

Aori nodded, hugging Shannon tightly. "Hugs are good."

They held the embrace until the elevator door opened once more. A middle-aged man started to step in before seeing the two girls, mumbling an apology, and stepping away. Shannon scooped up her Eevee before standing up and leading Aori out of the elevator. "Feel better?" she asked with a smile.

"I do," Aori said with a soft smile. "Should we bring Hikari-san some breakfast?"

"That sounds like a lovely idea." Shannon's smile grew wider at the thought. "I think he'd really appreciate that. It's very thoughtful of you, Aori." The morning sun basked the breakfast area in a warm light. It could not completely dispel the darkness, but rather helped them move past it.

IC: Jamie Arthur - Shabboneau Castle

What Jared said there sparked Jamie to action. She rose from her seat with an annoyed expression on her face.

“Whoa, whoa. Wait up, hold on a second. Lucia and I are not on this mission. I demand you remove our names from whatever you were gonna put it down on. Our destinations just happen to super similar to where these guys are going,” Jamie said, her delusion’s defenses fully prepared.

IC: Isabella Fontaine/Jared Winters/Lachina Adaon/Emily Lockwood

The technician shot a disapproving look at Jamie. "Until such a time as you are not traveling with the mission group, your name will be on the record. This is for your well-being as well as that of our agents; if you are injured in an incident relating to the mission, Team Liberty will be held accountable, just as you will be if you injure anyone officially on the mission."

She then looked back to Alex. "Once again, I cannot give the full details of the allegations against Agent Cruize. Until the investigation has been concluded, the charges, whatever those may be, are not a matter of public record." She sighed. "I'm sorry, I really do wish I could tell you more, but to do so would be in violation of Team Liberty protocol, and would also violate the trust that Xander has placed in me as his friend."

Xander sighed, rubbing at his eyes. "This is the third time you've asked me this question, Executive. My story isn't going to change."

Richie nodded. "It hasn't, you're right. That means that either you're telling the truth, or that you are a skilled liar."

Xander made a face. "I'm not, I'm really not."

"I have no way to determine that for certain, Agent. I would offer a polygraph test, but, even putting aside the inaccuracy of such tests, your psionic abilities would allow you to fudge the results."

The psychic nodded softly with a sigh. "Can you just ask me something else to shake things up, then?"

"You admit to trying to steal the Sneasel."

"Yes, sir."

"Why? What were you hoping to gain from a Shadow Pokémon?"

"Sir, I honestly don't even know what a Shadow Pokémon is. The only reason I went into that area is because I saw the words 'indefinite containment' on Octavyn's computer terminal, and I knew I had to do something."

"Ah, so you were looking to rescue an innocent Pokémon?"

Xander nodded firmly. "That's entirely what I was trying to do, sir. No matter what a 'Shadow' Sneasel is, it doesn't deserve to be locked up forever. I don't think anyone deserves that."

"What if I told you that that Sneasel, in a violent rampage, killed ten Pokémon and a Team Liberty agent?"

"i would say that you have a good poker face. The creature I saw in that room, and later when you were arresting me, was something that could be violent, but could also be reasoned with." Xander sat forward, glaring. "I didn't see a monster, sir. I saw a Sneasel."

Richie nodded slowly. "I see. Well, Cruize, I hate to break it to you, but that Sneasel is a vicious creature. It did kill ten Pokémon and its own trainer in a fit of aggression. That's what Shadow Pokémon were made for. They were specially engineered to be aggressive and violent, and to kill without remorse."

Xander scowled, shaking his head. "I can't accept that as a reason to lock it up, sir. If it were just a mindless killing machine, it wouldn't have stopped from attacking you when I called out to it."

Richie paused as he replayed the events in his head. He nodded again. "You called it when it was about to dig its claws into me. What did you call it again?"

Xander frowned as he tried to remember. "I called it . . . Whisper, I think. Yeah."

Richie hummed, drumming his fingers against the steel table top. "Interesting." He stood. "Thank you, Agent Cruize, for your time. I do not think there will be anymore questioning after this; as you said, your story was consistent throughout." He turned to leave.

"Wait," Xander said, starting to rise before a guard grabbed his shoulder and forced him back down. "Hold on, why is it important what I called the Sneasel?"

Richie looked back over his shoulder and shrugged. "It may not be. I'll let you know as soon as I can confirm something." So saying, the executive walked out. Xander was quickly led back to his cell, where he found dinner waiting for him.

With a sigh, he sat and began to eat, mulling over the Sneasel and what it could mean that he had given it a nickname.

-==IC: Professor Elaine Alderson==-

Elaine had slipped out of the room at the first mention of Flare, not wanting to betray her guilt and upset over her family's Flare connections to some unfeeling foreign bureaucrat. In everything that happened yesterday, I'd almost forgotten why they're following me in the first place. The professor shook her head; now was not the time to be wallowing in sorrow, now was the time to keep a clear head to ensure that the backlash wouldn't harm her beloved niece. With that goal in mind, she stepped out into the gardens, wandering over to a secluded bench and opening her Holo Caster.

"Let's see," she murmured, "what exactly are my fellow Professors up to this morning?"

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Honestly I'm just excited to be getting more attention paid to the less popular species. I can think of several Pokémon I'd love to see get Megas.

Dr. Aspear Ugi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

Meh.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

Meh?

Dr. Aspear Ugi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

Not a big fan of that name, personally.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

What would you call it then?

Dr. Aspear Ugi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

Need sleep, I'll get back to you on that in the morning.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

That's fair.

Dr. Ivan Alkubierre, on 07 Aug 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

Night, Boss.

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

I mean

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

You already know my theory.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

The whole 'Bond Phenomenon' thing?

Ye.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

See, my problem with that is that it needs a ton of assumptions to be right.

I mean, fair?

But also

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

Assumptions can be tested.

That's, like... how we even learn things at all, we make assumptions and then test them.

We kind of need that to even have jobs.

That said, it's not like these are total assumptions.

We already know that bonds between humans and Pokémon can have tangible effects.

Umbreon and Espeon come to mind.

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

And Pichu.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

The move Return.

Right.

And Z-Moves as well.

...ugh.

And since Pokémon powers are still out, it's reasonable to assume that whatever's causing the phenomenon is springing from the human side.

So it's not unreasonable to guess that's where this is coming from.

...*sigh*

Yes, Merc, I'm aware you hate Alola, just bear with me for this, okay?

I don't hate Alola.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

I'm just not that into it like everyone else seems to be.

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

I mean, fair, people do overhype the place, but still.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

I mean, I get what you're saying, and it does make sense, but it still seems flimsy.

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

Maybe, but we have to start somewhere?

It's not like the secrets of the universe are going to just magically drop into our laps while we sit here arguing about them.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

I guess.

Dr. Kotaro Nujitsu, on 08 Aug 2017 - 05:40 AM, said:

*What even are your sleep schedules?!*

Dr. Robin Emmerich, on 08 Aug 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Fritz, that's... not how science works.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

I don't think they have sleep schedules, Ko. =P

Dr. Robin Emmerich, on 08 Aug 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

But I guess we can discuss it in PM instead of cluttering the main chat.

Dr. Kotaro Nujitsu, on 08 Aug 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

Robin to Fritz in five minutes: “Well, that was a spirited discussion! I'm sorry that you're totally wrong about everything.”

Dr. Robin Emmerich, on 08 Aug 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

...can I cannon him?

Dr. Ivan Alkubierre, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

*leaps into cannon*

*fires*

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

xD

Dr. Augustine Sycamore, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

It's a flimsy premise for now, sure, but I should point out that we have had confirmed cases of Pokémon evolving via friendship since the power outage began.

That lends credence to the idea that the human side of bond phenomena did return alongside human powers, and that it still has an effect on Pokémon even with their powers inactive.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

Plurtal?

*Plural?

As in multiple phenomena?

Dr. Augustine Sycamore, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

As Dr. Frizzle pointed out, Z-Moves have some kind of link to bonds as well. That along with the evolutions potentially indicates some sort of larger category.

It's certainly worth investigating, if anyone is available in Alola to do so.

Dr. Burnet, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

I'll ask Kukui when I run into him, that sounds right up his alley.

Dr. Augustine Sycamore, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

Great, thank you.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

I still like the Mega Evolution name better.

Dr. Burnet, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

I'm still not sold on that name, personally. It just seems a bit strange.

Dr. Aspear Ugi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

Bond phenomenon is an equally strange name considering the circumstances... x3

Dr. Kotaro Nujitsu, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

I don't know... I like the case Fritz and Sycamore make. It fits the facts, and gives us something to work off of.

Dr. Aspear Ugi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

I guess, but I'd expect that more after some actual research and interviews, not just from like, watching One Island footage.

Dr. Burnet, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

That's going to be difficult with our limited options.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

Limited options?

Dr. Burnet, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

No Pokémon powers.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

Ah.

Dr. Aspear Ugi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

I mean, we clearly don't need them to trigger the effect.

But it would open up a lot more options for testing.

I can't wait for powers to come back.

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Same. =/

Dr. Augustine Sycamore, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Didn't Elaine have something that can simulate moves?

Dr. Kukui, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Does she? If I could borrow something like that, it'd be Super Effective in helping my Pursuit of my research.

Dr. Unovian Mercer, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Ugh. >_<

Dr. Kotaro Nujitsu, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Pfft.

Dr. Fritz Frizzle, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Augh! >_<

Dr. Robin Emmerich, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

:333

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

xD

Dr. Ivan Alkubierre, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

xD

Dr. Emmeryn Kodachi, on 08 Aug 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

xD

xD

With a chuckle at her colleagues' antics, Elaine began writing her reply.

What Jared said there sparked Jamie to action. She rose from her seat with an annoyed expression on her face.

“Whoa, whoa. Wait up, hold on a second. Lucia and I are not on this mission. I demand you remove our names from whatever you were gonna put it down on. Our destinations just happen to super similar to where these guys are going,” Jamie said, her delusion’s defenses fully prepared.

-==IC: Lionel Zyther==-

Lionel, who had been busy absorbing the concise listing of the details of the mission, did a brief double-take at Jamie's tone. A moment later, however, he smiled wistfully. I wonder where Alex is now? he thought to himself. Wherever he is on his Journey, I hope he's staying safe and happy.

IC: Alma Mason/Alex Zyther

Alma took a deep breath of the fresh air outside of Reflection Cave. She swallowed, glanced at Alex, and bit her lip. “I . . .” She trailed off as she began sobbing quietly. The albino girl slowly slumped to her knees and buried her face in her hands.

Alex wasn’t handling things much better. The Kalosian was upset, sure, but rather than pain or sadness, there was just… nothing, a hollow emptiness within that threatened to consume the trainer whole. Alex shivered, a haunting cold wracking through flesh and spirit alike, but pushed the trauma aside (at least somewhat, anyway) to try and lay a comforting hand on the girl’s shoulder.

A hand reached out of Alma’s shadow and rested on top of Alex’s. Red eyes peered sadly up at the duo. After a moment Alma swallowed, cleared her throat. “Shadow says that he’s sorry. To both of us.” She looked up at Alex and swiped at the tears on her cheeks. “I apologize for my outburst.”

Alex wanted to open his mouth, to offer reassurance, to deny a need for an apology. Instead what came out was “That’s going to be me someday.”

Alma nodded slowly, sadly. “That will one day be all of us.” She blinked, rubbing at her eyes again. “That never bothered me before, but now it does. Isn’t that funny?”

Alex had no real response, and so could only stare blankly. “I’ve spent my entire life, every day I can remember, fighting against death with every fiber of my being. To suddenly just lose like that…”

“I have ushered death to more people than I can count, and never balked when it arrived. I killed my father, with a smile on my face.” Alma scoffed, shaking her head. “But when it was someone I had only known for a short time, who I have no real connection to? I am a mess.”

Alex could only shrug. “I feel like Amelia would have a more useful perspective than me, if it weren’t for the fact that the woman who died was… well…”

Alma nodded, considering. “Perhaps your perspective is more useful than you think.” Alma tilted her head back, looking up at the stars in contemplation. “You value the lives of others, do you not?”

“I value all life,” Alex answered automatically. “How could I not? I’ve spent so much time in hospitals, watching others slip through the veil between life and death, knowing I sit directly atop it. I don’t have any choice but to see life as precious -- not when I have so little of it.”

“I have never valued life. Neither my own nor others’.” She shifted a bit. “And yet, now, I find myself unsure of how I would respond, if I were to lose Belle, or yourself, or Miss Zann.” Alma sighed. “I fear that there is something terribly wrong with me, and I am not sure if it is that I am starting to value life, or that I had not before.”

“I… suppose,” Alex haltingly began, “there could be… comfort? In taking life and death into your own hands? Rather than leaving things to the whims of fortune or fate?” The Trainer massaged the bridge of his nose. “I’m not sure how much I can really buy that, but at the same time, I can’t exactly begrudge Amelia of her attitude, her actions, so why should I judge you?”

The albino girl nodded again. “I think you understand. If you weigh your life against another’s, you should choose yours. I suppose, in a way, that is valuing your own life, even if you are willing to risk that life to take another, and . . .” She chuckled wryly. “I am rambling. That did not make sense.”

The corner of Alex’s mouth turned up in amusement, the Trainer heaving a tired breath. “What does, anymore?”

Alma rose to her feet and smoothed the wrinkles of her dress. “Perhaps nothing has ever made sense, and everyone is just too mad to realize.” She looked around. “Come, Alex, I believe we have a wonderland to explore.”

Edited by Flipz

IC - Sonja Baron - Ford's Room, Vertrag:

It was a solid assumption. Sonja slipped her backpack off of one shoulder, bringing it in front of her and opening it. She pulled several papers from it, digging through them.

"I think . . ." She pulled one out of the stack, holding it up to compare to the portrait. ". . . that you're right."

The image she held was one that she had drawn back on Four Island. It was the same image that had been positively identified--both by Ford and Kyle--as the man known as Malvolio "Puzzle" Rask. She pulled the images of the two women amongst the group, comparing them to the two in the portrait. All matched.

"He's Puzzle, Ford was Shift," she said. "Then there's Riddle and Clue, Ford's mentor." Sonja stared hard at the portrait, finally nodding to the woman in the front. "If I had to guess, that would be her--Eve Dawson. If she's anything like what Ford described . . . Yeah; maybe we should try to avoid getting on their bad side."

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

Jamie glared back at Isabella. She had made herself clear on this. She wasn’t on the mission. This five-year old was not about to budge on her completely correct and totally rational viewpoint.

“Well that is not a problem, because I am not traveling with them. I am on vacation,” she said. “And owning up to hurting someone is just common sense. You don’t need my name on the record for a mission I am not on. Just take it if I hurt someone. I demand that I be removed from the record. A Team Rocket agent being drafted onto a Team Liberty mission against her will? Joker will hear about this!”