It’s been 10 years since Bionicle’s first cancellation.

Lenny7092

It’s been 10 years since Bionicle’s first cancellation had happened. I was shocked, speechless and depressed when I read this. I couldn’t believe it. I loved Bionicle for a long time, but this was heart-breaking. Why would Lego do this? Bionicle is one of the most important entertaining things in my life, before I focused on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Ninjago, and The Lego Movies. I am not completely happy without Bionicle. My life was sort of ruined because my heart is tied to Bionicle. This is one of the worst things that happened in my life. I miss Bionicle! I want it to come back!:( Well, when I draw my friends as superheroes, I based the superheroes on Bionicle’s heroes to honor it. 
Here’s the link: http://www.bzpower.info/story.php?ID=4419 

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Maybe they should cancel it again as a way to celebrate the anniversary.

In all seriousness, I remember that day and how sad I was. I had heard the rumors but refused to accept it until this story was posted. The day changed the community forever, it was the beginning of transition from a big community to smaller and centralized to spread out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valendale said:

BLASPHEMY!

I remember exactly where I was and who I was talking to-one of my buddies pointed out that Bionicle Stars was just a "highlight reel" and my heart sunk to my shoes. 

A part of me wishes that it had a more complete ending, the unfinished loose ends drive me crazy ( Velika!) it almost would have been easier if the unfinished serials hadn't been started at all.  

• Like 1

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

I loved Bionicle for a long time, but this was heart-breaking. Why would Lego do this?

It wasn't selling as well as it used to and Lego wanted to make something new.

They've already cancelled it again. :p

A part of me wishes that it had a more complete ending, the unfinished loose ends drive me crazy ( Velika!) it almost would have been easier if the unfinished serials hadn't been started at all.

The idea at the time was that Bionicle sort of wasn't ending as it would continue in story, but of course Greg gave up after a few years.

@Lenny, I find it interesting you mention the MCU.  I've heard quite a few people say the MCU is this generation's equivalent to Star Wars, and of course everyone knows how important Star Wars was to a previous generation of kids and geeks and storytellers.  Before that, I'm sure, there was Tolkien and Lewis and Jules Verne, other science fiction and fantasy authors.  But I guess I fall in that weird middle ground where Star Wars doesn't click with me (I blame the prequels) and I'm too old to appreciate the MCU.  But I did have Bionicle.  I don't think I could ask for a better epic to grow up with.  A world split into three planets, a Great Spirit and the giant robot body to heal it, cast out by his jealous brother to walk among the survivors and remember his purpose... there's so much there!  For buildable action figures!  This was my epic, my great saga of good vs. evil.

I've gotten around to the point where I'm fine with Bionicle's cancellation.  There's been nothing like it since, and I doubt there ever will be, even if a new series arrives under the same name.  I think the only proper way to celebrate and remember it is to take its stories as inspiration and make something new.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

but-i-dont-patrick-you-re-fired-even-work-here-8534094.png.0179403e0950b518a8c73a62ef7977eb.png

The two major bombshells of my childhood: the death of Matoro, and the death of BIONICLE. In a weird way, it just feels like time hasn't moved the same way since then. 2004, I think of Metru Nui, Nidhiki, Vakama, and so much other distinctive stuff. 2016... did anything even happen then? It's become a joke with some of my friends that nothing significant happened in 2013. No one can remember anything important from that year. It's like the Time Slip. I just miss BIONICLE so much. But it's not just that I miss BIONICLE. I miss reading BIONICLE in middle school and making MOCs when I got home, and it's not LEGO's fault I don't have that anymore. They did a good job with it and I'm thankful for all of it, even the Piraka Rap.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 11/25/2019 at 2:20 PM, Master Inika said:

The two major bombshells of my childhood: the death of Matoro, and the death of BIONICLE. In a weird way, it just feels like time hasn't moved the same way since then. 2004, I think of Metru Nui, Nidhiki, Vakama, and so much other distinctive stuff. 2016... did anything even happen then? It's become a joke with some of my friends that nothing significant happened in 2013. No one can remember anything important from that year. It's like the Time Slip. I just miss BIONICLE so much. But it's not just that I miss BIONICLE. I miss reading BIONICLE in middle school and making MOCs when I got home, and it's not LEGO's fault I don't have that anymore. They did a good job with it and I'm thankful for all of it, even the Piraka Rap.

Honestly the amount of story content Bionicle managed to churn out while basically telling a complete story confined to each year is one of the most truly remarkable aspects of the franchise. Even big franchises from huge companies often have this problem of lore content being so dripped out and small that it's hard to answer simple questions like "What's going on right now?"