What music genres would the Toa Nuva listen to?

Looking for opinions here:

I was thinking about the Toa Nuva and I was wondering what types of music they would listen to. Now obviously they could have varied tastes, but I feel like since they are so unique they would have a genre or style that was "theirs".

My ideas are

Tahu: Rock/heavy metal (passion)

Kopaka: EDM/Techno (clean, cold)

Pohatu: Synthwave (because Pohatu)

Gali: lo-fi or soundscapes (focus)

Lewa: rap/trap/dubstep/YouTube bass boost edits (anything loud)

Onua: silence (or maybe singer/songwriter)

If you have different ideas or like mine, let me know! If you have reasons for your choices I'd love to hear them.

• Like 1
Spoiler

I'm trying to bring BIONICLE on the big screen.

the Kohrakazi project.

The Legend Retold

They only have access to the music of their own culture, which is probably mostly tribal music, seeing as there's no evidence of any sort of music beyond Mata Nui. That's what they'd listen to even with access to other music, since it's what's familiar to them. Except Pohatu, who would obviously listen to grindcore.

• Like 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

No Kopaka would be a total prog rock dude... Like he'd get in long discussions about Pink Floyd, ELP, ELO, Rush, etc... He probably likes listening to Beatles songs and messing with the balance to try and hear the different stereo effects in the song. 

Thanks to Reviving Bionicle the first song for Tahu that comes to mind is Linkin Park's "Crawling in my Skin." 

Onua is probably a Bach and Beethoven guy. 

• Like 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

3 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

They only have access to the music of their own culture, which is probably mostly tribal music, seeing as there's no evidence of any sort of music beyond Mata Nui. That's what they'd listen to even with access to other music, since it's what's familiar to them. Except Pohatu, who would obviously listen to grindcore.

That could be true, but if they had encountered some Earth stuff, they would enjoy these new things. The Toa adapt to new things very well, like how they adapted to driving the Karda Nui vehicles.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

1 hour ago, Lenny7092 said:

That could be true, but if they had encountered some Earth stuff, they would enjoy these new things. The Toa adapt to new things very well, like how they adapted to driving the Karda Nui vehicles.

Or--and this is what people actually do in real life--they'd listen to what's familiar to them.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

On 2/13/2020 at 9:21 PM, Sir Keksalot said:

Or--and this is what people actually do in real life--they'd listen to what's familiar to them.

Technically the songs in the Power Pack were advertised as being "composed" by members of the Toa. 

So they're all Tribal EDM fusion artists then. 

• Upvote 3

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

5 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

Technically the songs in the Power Pack were advertised as being "composed" by members of the Toa. 

So they're all Tribal EDM fusion artists then. 

I always thought the Toa would listen to tribal-techno music played by their fellow Matoran.

Tahu - tribal drums and gongs of New Zealand and Japan mixed with heavy electro-rock

Gali - traditional Hawaiian music (Ohe Hanu Ihu "Nose Flute") and Indian drum (Tabla) with funk-rock hybrid

Pohatu - Australian aboriginal music (Dirigidos) and traditional Turkish zithers (Quanun) and flutes (Ney) with a synth remix

Kopaka - Tibetan worship music with a retro synth-techno mix

Onua - New Zealand instruments (like the Putaatara) with a soft earthly bass overlay 

Lewa - African drums (Djembe and Conga) with a heavy club mix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... interesting. I've been away from Bionicle for a while, but I'd love to take a crack at what Tahu might like.

Tahu strikes me as the sort of guy who wouldn't listen to music much. At least in his younger days. Post-Journey's End Tahu is a whole different ballgame.

His passion, volatility, and drive may point to a lack of enthusiasm for any kind of entertainment that involved sitting still and listening. But he's also evidently a fan of an action-driven sport like Kohlii, so he might be into something that reminds him of drama, theatricality, and action. (See Mask of Light.)

(If he could be persuaded to listen to music, it would probably be while working out or engaging in hard, physical, outdoor labor. Perhaps Nuparu teamed up with the Nynrah Ghosts to invent stereos and MP3 players.)

He might also be inclined to tune in to something which reminds him of what drives him: His duty to his people and to Mata Nui. That means something like spiritual or meditative music, something which stirs the softer part of his soul, appealing to his passion for justice (that is, playing fair, keeping your word, and defending the innocent) and his respect for courage and cunning.

I can therefore imagine an older, wiser Toa Tahu, still in fighting shape, practicing his new powers that he got at the end of Journey's End while listening to something from Survivor, Kanye West, or Imagine Dragons. (Maybe humans from the year 3000 figured out a way to import music files to Spherus Magna, and have sent a sleeper ship to make first contact with that planet's residents, due to arrive in about 106,000 years post-Shattering.)

But after he's done with the day's work, maybe he picks up one of those newfangled paper and cloth books (He likes them much better than stone tablets), perhaps a biography of Toa Lhikan written by Turaga Vakama. So he sits down a flips through it, and then turns on a recording of a choir of Ga-Matoran and Le-Matoran singing a hymn to the mysterious Papa and Ranga (see here: https://drop-a-brick.blogspot.com/2019/09/mnog-chronicle-chapter-iii-sky-father.html), composed by Turaga Nokama, Nuju, and Artakha in the days of peace post-Journey's End. Maybe Tahu, looking up at an old group painting of his old team, smiles in a rare moment of sentimentality, and says to himself, "Great Beings... Greater Beings... wherever you are... thank you."

That's a former fan-fic writer's take on the subject. I charge five dollars per-Toa for anything after this. :D

Cheers,

X-Ray

• Like 2

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

Isn't there a scene in the MNOG set in Le Koro where the Matoran play simple flutes, drums, and wind instruments? The rest of the music in-game follows that pattern, IIRC. The Matoran don't seem to record music, so I assume most of it is implied to be improvised. 

I imagine in the early days of the canon anything the Maori might have used could be up for grabs. Once the series got more sci-fi such "trivial" aspects like art and culture gradually drift out of the series; the way Greg and other writers have described the Toa and Matoran it wouldn't be surprising if they are supposed to lack any appreciation of music and the like, considering how little self-expression the Matoran get up to under his watch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 1:23 PM, the Kohrakazi project said:

Looking for opinions here:

I was thinking about the Toa Nuva and I was wondering what types of music they would listen to. Now obviously they could have varied tastes, but I feel like since they are so unique they would have a genre or style that was "theirs".

My ideas are

Tahu: Rock/heavy metal (passion)

Kopaka: EDM/Techno (clean, cold)

Pohatu: Synthwave (because Pohatu)

Gali: lo-fi or soundscapes (focus)

Lewa: rap/trap/dubstep/YouTube bass boost edits (anything loud)

Onua: silence (or maybe singer/songwriter)

If you have different ideas or like mine, let me know! If you have reasons for your choices I'd love to hear them.

I disagree hard with Lewa and Onua. I would say Lewa would like something extremely percussive and uplifting like power metal (DragonForce, HammerFall, Stratovarius, etc.) or even just straight up speed metal.

Onua: I definitely agree with some of the other posts thinking he'd like classical like Bach/Beethovan.

The others I mostly agree with, though Tahu specifically would probably like nu-metal/alternative rock: like the stuff they play in the WWE and the Madden 07-09 soundtracks like Linkin Park, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Sevendust, and bands of that nature.

Just my take :p

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica