Half-Remembered Fanfiction

Master Inika

I'm wondering if anybody else experiences this: having vague memories of old BZPower fanfics that aren't available anymore. (Fanfics is the most relevant one for me--but I'd also like to hear if anyone has similar recollections of comics or general topics.) Here are the ones for me:

*A comedy called "Maku and Makuta Get Married." It's what it sounds like. The funniest part was Makuta accidentally accepting Maku's marriage proposal.

*Another comedy about the Brotherhood of Makuta. It featured an original character who was a female servant named Trazia. I remember she was written seriously enough that I thought for a while she must've been an official character from a book or something I hadn't read yet.

*This story was in the comedies forum, but it was serious enough to have been an epic. It was published in mid-2006, in a projected future where the Toa Nuva and Toa Inika defeated the Piraka and used the Mask of Life to save Mata Nui (no sacrifice from Matoro). All twelve Toa lived on and protected Metru Nui with no major threats left. The main story was a romance between Onepu and Maku, bonding over both not becoming Toa.

*Either an epic or short story about a Po-Matoran on Metru Nui who committed murders. His name was Saror and he had read eyes. He would carve a small statue of a Matoran that they would find, then he would carve a giant version and drop it on them. (It was much better than I'm describing it.)

There are more that I can't think of. I probably began lurking in 2006 and joined in 2007, so that's the time frame we're talking with these stories. Does anyone else remember them, or have their own half-remembered topics?

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

i have a very vague memory of an epic i read around 2010-2011 when i lurked bzp about toa cops trying to find some kind of criminal mastermind. the main character was a loose cannon type guy who had a vortixx love interest who served as a femme fatale. i think there was a car chase scene, it was set in a future spherus magna, and everyone said "frag" as a swear 

using wayback machine to look at the old forums isn't very reliable so i doubt i'll ever find it again, but it was definitely an inspiration to me back then. kind of melancholy to think about those old threads you'll never find again but had some kind of impact on you 

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I remember some folks on BZpower way back in the day saying Kotu was "slightly overweight" compared to other Matoran. I don't see how that could be a thing considering they are all built with the same parts, and I'm assuming Matoran (at least from the same village) are all roughly the same density and mass.

One I only heard recently, but I guess has been around a while, was that some fans believed Tamaru was trans-gender or gay. Not sure where any signs to that pointed-- especially if "gender" isn't actually defined in Matoran culture, apart from Ga-Matoran being "female". Some have believed Kopaka and Pohatu are "attracted to eachother" but I honestly think it's just Kopaka being admirable towards Pohatu, as he doesn't see eye-to-eye with everyone else (especially Tahu).

There were also rumors right before Mask of Light was released of Kopaka and Gali "sharing a secret kiss". This never happened, but there was an extremely brief scene where Gali expressed her fears of the Toa's lack of unity to Kopaka while she is rejuvenating her elemental powers. This private scene might have been where that rumor started.

On 2/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, chuckschwa said:

I remember some folks on BZpower way back in the day saying Kotu was "slightly overweight" compared to other Matoran. I don't see how that could be a thing considering they are all built with the same parts, and I'm assuming Matoran (at least from the same village) are all roughly the same density and mass.

Me trying to figure out how it is possible for a character made of the same parts as every other character could be seen as overweight:

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg.56b06b79e50d038cf83cad6c8f2754d1.jpg

As for Tamaru, I actually saw that rumor/joke/fanon? come up on a Facebook post recently... so apparently the idea is being floated out there by some fans to this day. I doubt it ever would have been an official idea from Lego especially in 2001. I mean, if Voriki is still apparently a thing all these years later I guess Trans Tamaru is too. (All seriousness though... it pisses me of that Tamaru can't be made with official parts to match his MNOG appearance since he uses to much teal!) 

As for all the other 'shipping', I wonder if the infamous "love isn't canon" was in part a way for Greg and Lego to just write off all ships from ever officially being part of canon. Like I am sure Greg would get tired of answering "Kopaka and Pohatu, Onua and Lewa, Nokama and Vhisola... Ahkmou and Krika?" questions all the time. Still from the Hewkii & Macku clan, that decision still hurts. 

As for some fan fiction that has lasted... Binkmeister's Mata Nui Expedition website is STILL up to this very day. When I was a seven year old kid and first looked at it, I was stunned since I briefly was convinced that Mata-Nui was REAL. My parents had to explain to me it was somebody 'having fun' and Mata-Nui really wasn't an island in the South Pacific. I think the site's use of scale models and miniatures helped fool me as a kid... it didn't look like Lego so it must be real! I actually wish we could see more scale modeling used to make backdrops for Bionicle characters, they look out of place in pure Lego environments in my mind: http://kellyjmckiernan.com/matanui/ 

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Man, back in the day there were just so many stories in the library that it was a real challenge to compete and get stuff on just the first page of the forum; an hour after you'd post something and it would already be three pages back.  There were a lot of stories from kids who were clearly just beginning to dive into fanfiction (like myself) but there were also some very talented authors who spun together narratives that put the official storyline to shame.  If nothing else, I greatly appreciated growing up with the literary community that Bionicle put together, and it's a shame that the library is no longer as active as it once was.  (Granted, I barely have the time to read as much as I used to.  The joys of a working adult.)

Some of the stories I remember...

The first story I remember following was by a member named Golden Krana who wrote a BZP-Koro story about members getting recruited to fight a virus or something.  He asked for characters so I got to cameo in it, but it was a fun adventure / mystery he had going, and was interesting because he would pick off the characters one by one as it progressed.  I've read a lot of fun BZP-Koro stories (and tried to write a few myself) but that was the first that really sticks to mind.

My friend Kumata Nuva had a really interesting adventure epic about Matoran on some other island searching for a lost Toa or something before the evil guy found him first.  The team of characters were really amazing and he built up a fun society, and included a few non-conventional Toa elements too.

I forget the member's name, but there was a story called "Turkey Shoot" that took place after Bionicle's canceling, and treated all the characters as actors who were now without a job and living together in the real world, until some evil conspiracy arises and Bionicle characters start getting murdered.  It had a few outlandish concepts but ended up being a dark and compelling story with a lot of great mystery and action sequences like a spy thriller.

I also greatly enjoyed an epic called "A Second Darkness" by a member named Daikaiju King back in 2005.  The basic premise was the Toa Nuva and Matoran return to Metru Nui but there was a mysterious evil being there who didn't want them around so he started making evil clones of the Nuva, arming them with modern weaponry, and sending them out to kill the originals.  He had a bunch of moving and intercepting storylines, amazing character development, tons of callbacks to obscure Bionicle things, and a lot of action and mystery.  Unfortunately, one day the member just kind of disappeared from the site and never finished the story, and it was left with some serious cliffhangers.  :( (I actually saved a copy of it to my computer to read offline, so I still have a copy that survived the datapocalypse... I didn't even manage that for all of my own stories.)

Unfortunately, I don't recognize any of the other comedies mentioned above.  On one hand, it's kind of cool that there was so much interest in writing Bionicle stories back in the day.  On the other hand, it's a shame that stories were so easily lost in the crowd, and made worse by the loss of the old forum data.  It was a pretty great community back in the day. [/nostalgia]

:music: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xccj said:

I also greatly enjoyed an epic called "A Second Darkness" by a member named Daikaiju King back in 2005.  The basic premise was the Toa Nuva and Matoran return to Metru Nui but there was a mysterious evil being there who didn't want them around so he started making evil clones of the Nuva, arming them with modern weaponry, and sending them out to kill the originals.  He had a bunch of moving and intercepting storylines, amazing character development, tons of callbacks to obscure Bionicle things, and a lot of action and mystery.  Unfortunately, one day the member just kind of disappeared from the site and never finished the story, and it was left with some serious cliffhangers.  :( (I actually saved a copy of it to my computer to read offline, so I still have a copy that survived the datapocalypse... I didn't even manage that for all of my own stories.)

Can you post that story? It sounds really interesting.

I definitely second those positive memories of just how much there used to be to read. I wish we could go back to that so much.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Oh man there was this one comedy that just ... blew up. It was at the top of the hot topics list for weeks, if not months. All I remember is the premise that various characters were working at a McDonald's. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it, other than that it got shut down very suddenly one day.

• Like 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 2 months later...

I vaguely recall that one!  I had no idea that it actually got shut down.

I used to spend all my days in the Libraries subforums, and there's a lot of stuff there that I can vividly remember enjoying, but only a few details stick with me.  I spent a ton of time in Comedies early on, and there was stuff like lavaside rahi doing a parody of the first 2006 book, takuaE3's The Quest for the Last Three Great Disks, a bunch of stuff that Turakii did that I vaguely recall taking way too seriously, at least two comedies about living with sapient BIONICLE sets (one of which I did an absolutely abysmal job of co-authoring near the end, ha!), and of course GSMN's The Toa Metru At Home, which was what really got me hooked on BZP in the first place.  (Ironically, I contributed to getting that last one locked down; I was very bad-mannered as a child.)  There's also a couple epics- Takuta-Nui's works, the Paracosmos and Expanded Multiverse, the Vohan stuff, a rather dark story about Ninjo getting corrupted and starting a BZP civil war, the Tournament of Shadows (man, I miss that one)...  And there's one short story.  The Golden Door.  Toa Birger, unscrupulous thief and heir to Jaller and the legacy of the Red Star.  It was an incredible tale, and I'll always be sad it was lost in the Dataclysm.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 1 month later...

I remember a fanfic called Turaga Kongu. It was a self-insert story about Kongu on a journey to be given the title of Turaga, back in 2002. There was one story in the 01 era, the second where he seeks Noble Masks in the 02 era. It was also posted on an outside website, and made by a BZP member named, you guessed it, Turaga Kongu.

I wouldn’t mind finding that story again and reading it.

Another one that stands out in my mind is one where after Makutas defeat in MoL, all the Toa come back. It was written in 05. The Turaga wake up one morning and they’re Toa again, Nidhiki comes back to life in Makuta’s lair, and turns been into a Toa, Toa Lhikan wakes up on the Great Barrier, the Toa Hagah are dodging Visorak in Metru Nui. 05 wasn’t through, so it didn’t mesh with story, but it was awesome to have the Nuva, Metru, Hagah, and Mangai interacting.

One of the best ones I ever read was one which showed an alternate reality where Whenua as a matoran lost a disk flipping contest, got mugged, and that set off a chain reaction of events leading to the island of Mata Nui bring in a state of war between Ga-, Po-, and Onu- Koro, and the rest, with Vakama being a vindictive warlord. A little odd in the beginning, but towards the end was really good, it came to involve Mata Nui dying, and the Vahi in a unique way.

Edited by tealc
Adding to it, and grammar

"Life is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think," Unknown

• 1 month later...

You all have poor taste or joined too late, since no one yet has mentioned this epic parody of the entire BIONICLE storyline called "BORNICLE". It was started in 2003 and basically was a juvenile send-up of the BIONICLE comics, novels, corporate tie-ins, flash videos, and (eventually) DVD movies. It was a gem on the Comedies forum and many old-timers truly lament its loss to this day. If only I could remember who wrote it...

In all seriousness, xccj is right in that any of the literature forums were PACKED. The front page was always cycling, so if you wanted to stay in people's minds, you had to be more than a decent story-teller; you had to be prolific! I remember "Maku and Makuta Get Married" and the works of lavaside_rahi or whatever their name was. I even remember that "Takua and Jaller Work at McDonald's" one due to its explosion on the scene. There were a lot of sitcom-style comedies featuring BIONICLE characters and boy, did the quality vary wildly!

As the Comedy subforum was looked down upon by the more bourgeoisie authors in Epics, I rarely ventured there. While Epics I tried to read were generally better-written and less silly, many leaned too far into cringe territory and often became self-insertion fantasy fulfillment for the mind behind it. BZPower fanfiction (including my own) is probably what turned me away from the overall world of fanfiction before going off to college, and as result, I began to develop my own "writer's voice". I guess in retrospect, that was a good thing.

• Upvote 1
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"