Parts maintenance

Fry

Is that the Hydrogen Peroxide method? I hear it works great. 

As for cracked parts, I just buy used ones of Bricklink or dig them out at bulk bins at Bricks and Minifigures. Lego is a mass produced toy, no reason not to take advantage of it and just buy the more parts. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

44 minutes ago, Xboxtravis said:

Is that the Hydrogen Peroxide method? I hear it works great. 

As for cracked parts, I just buy used ones of Bricklink or dig them out at bulk bins at Bricks and Minifigures. Lego is a mass produced toy, no reason not to take advantage of it and just buy the more parts. 

I used 40 volume cream developer and some saran wrap, works a treat for computer plastic but I had never tried it on lego pieces before. Here's a before and after, for some reason the camera didn't capture how yellow some of the parts really were. But regarding buying up spare parts from online vendors, are you worried the supply might run out some day?

image0.jpg

Edited by Jaekoff

I only worry for collectibles, masks, rare parts, sealed sets, etc. 

As for common parts, especially joints and sockets? Not really. This is a mass produced toy, and so many parts were common between sets they aren't rare. Some, like gears and Technic pins/axles are still in production by Lego. Basically by the time regular Bionicle parts are rare, we'll probably not be around anymore. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

As far as I'm concerned, a cracked piece has already lost most of its monetary or collector value anyway (I rue the day someone sold me a 2002 Emperor Palpatine minifig and hid the torso cracks behind the cape!). Even so, it's better to keep it in whatever condition it is already in; book collectors will tell you that rare, beat-up books are worth more before someone's taken tape to them as opposed to after.