The Kaita

Fry

So what were the Toa Kaita for? Such a big deal was made in 2001 about them in promotion CDs, and it's all the Turaga talked about in MNOG. And besides all that they're important thematically, the Toa's hard-won unity, given form. But then they are immediately trashed by the Manas and torn apart upon entering the Makuta's inner realm. Does anyone else find this a little, I dunno, ANTI-CLIMATIC? I think it'd have been better if the Toa Kaita properly defeated the Manas without "cheating" by destroying those weird control towers. And while it makes sense that the Toa's fusion would be forced apart in the inner lair of the Spirit of Destruction, I think it would have worked better thematically if the Toa remained Kaita during their confrontation with the Makuta, and then consciously make the decision to unfuse after being teleported out of his lair, "victorious". 

After all, isn't unity what the Toa spent all their time that first year trying to attain? Why then, after uniting literally to the point where they merge into powerful, god-like beings, would they be painted as incompetent and powerless? What are your thoughts?

Edited by Jaekoff

The story direction shifted dramatically after 2001. Mister N's topic about scrapped MNOG lore covers this pretty well, but essentially, the Kaita were initially supposed to only be formed in special champers like those we see in the Manas fight. They weren't used in the story much after that because they would have been incredibly OP.

The Kaita were disassembled before the Makuta fight probably for this same reason--they would have been too strong. The explanation given in-universe was that they couldn't stay together in Terry's domain because he was a being of destruction.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Exo Toa go through the same build-up and tear-down. Sold as the next level of evolutionary power, then immediately discarded during the big boss fight.

One theory I have with the Exo Toa is that they originally fell into the protodermis vats with the Toa, contributing to the transformation of the Nuva's new parts. Although this image from the back of the box somewhat contradicts this, as it teases Tahu Nuva in Exo Toa armor. The Toa Nuva never once wore the Exo armor. I wonder what plans they originally had for the set?

Either way, the payoff of the Exo Toa parts causing the demise of Gahlok-Kal was a nice touch.